West Craven Area Committee Supermarket Special

Tardis

West Craven Area Committee Supermarket Special

Post by Tardis »

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Re: West Craven Area Committee Supermarket Special

Post by Whyperion »

I note for the AH site the expectation (from the applicants ) that 80% of turnover will come from households within the Barnoldswick area , as I guess few people will make a deliberate trip ( maybe from Gisburn ? is Earby counted as Barnoldswick Area ? ) Remainder would be households whom have a representative working in the area - Drivers , RR , AH etc. DLP for Pendle think this should be 90/10.

3.6 Table 5 does however suggest that the diversion from the Cooperative store at Earby would be £0.08m which is higher than the turnover of the store as set out in table 3. The consultants should be requested to reconsider this as previously DLP have taken the view that the larger supermarket proposals are not likely to impact upon these smaller
stores to any large extent. (? Earby Co-op turnover is only £80k per annum ) Reading this para again I think DLP mean that the shoppers at the smaller co-ops etc are not the kind of people whom travel to larger stores and that therefore there is no change to the amount spent in the smaller shops ( probably true enough by a minor change of -5% could be a problem ) Yet DLP also think that the likes of One Stop will be impacted significantly from all three proposals , and unsurprisingly the Co-Op in Barnoldswick , though less in % terms.

For more than one passed superstore application think that Co-Op will not be significantly impacted , but that it could threaten the smaller stores in Barnoldswick ( My personal feeling that converse would be more true )

AH site does not have a named operator , Aldi is described as a Discount Store , I think I said before there is a mix of pricing in Aldi and I rather like their Cereals (Better than Lidl's ) and some of the tinned goods, a problem with most of the Aldi's I have shopped in is that they tend to be in slightly larger population areas than Barnoldswick , which might make for Aldi difficulty in keeping efficient stock of perishables , and they only have one or two persons on checkouts , leading to frustrating queues.

5.3 ... all the consultants identify that the discount store will have a greater impact as it is more likely to compete with the town centre stores. [ Really ? pricing can be attractive but there is still an embedded perception on quality / type of product. The biggest competitor loss would probably be the two Spar shops, as co-op are fairly good at negotiating supplier deals to keep a good selection of price reductions on promotional basis ].

There is some kind of concern of limiting floorspace for trading in the proposals , somewhat a meaningless statement , as to attract back into Barnoldswick money currently spent in Skipton/ Colne (Aldi vs Asda, Tesco vs Sainsburys , and TBA vs Tesco ) , a good variety of product suppliers is needed to be on display.

What is Barnoldswick currently missing ? Reasonably priced with good selection of Small Electricals , Clothing . Grocery comparisons - large range of dairy, cereals , pet foods. Go into the larger stores outside of town and the change is in the different (larger) display of size / supplier varieties of 'basic' products.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Re: West Craven Area Committee Supermarket Special

Post by Whyperion »

If the Tesco's site proposals are passed , perhaps the recycling bins can be re located to that location ? ( I don't think there is space in the Aldi proposals ).

I did get confused on the Proposals , thinking that Aldi were partnering AH [ which probably would be a good idea on the one site ]. As it is the current Aldi scheme involves loss of employment land (though why it was not identified or protected as employment land previously escapes me ), I dont think it is good for Barnoldswick.

My preference is for the AH proposals , as the distance , although further from Town Centre , actually to my mind is better as realistically will any more shoppers at one site visit town centre any more than at the other site ?

Return to “Borough Council”