Your Vote Matters

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Your Vote Matters

Post by PanBiker »

I received correspondence today from Pendle Councils electoral registration services regarding the new regime for voter registration. I assume everyone else who is eligible to vote in Pendle will have received the same letter. The basic drift is about the changes to the way you register to vote and the fact that automatic re-registration is now the norm under the new system.

The letter states in paragraph two that no further action is required from myself unless my circumstances have changed and that my details are on the Electoral Register.

In paragraph three it goes on to say that my details are NOT on the Open Register and if I want my details adding I have to contact electoral services.

It then goes on to explain the difference between the standard Electoral Register (used for elections, combating crime by fraud and jury service eligibility) and the Open Register which is the one that councils can sell on to third parties for marketing purposes.

The paragraph about the Open Register goes on to say "Your name and address WILL BE included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register does not effect your right to vote."

Clearly conflicting information within the space of a few paragraphs. I rang the two numbers given on the header of the letter at about 4.45pm and was looped to each officers voicemail, either they are getting a lot of feedback or they have gone home for the day. I left a message asking for clarification on the second number I rang.

It's a bog standard letter so I assume the entire electorate will have the same disinformation.

I think I can predict what the actual status will be but it would have been much better if the correspondence was correct in the first place.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Your Vote Matters

Post by Wendyf »

My letter confirms that my details ARE on the open register, which they should be as I have never ticked the box asking for them to be removed. It then continues like yours but it makes sense!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Normally I wouldn't dream of having my details passed on to third parties but being honest I can't remember if I ticked any boxes its so long ago. An e-mail has now been dispatched requesting my details to be be removed.
I have a suspicion that with the introduction of the NEW system the default is towards an open register. Another scam?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Openness and transparency P. How could it possibly be anything as reprehensible as a scam. Unless, that is, they were short of money and wanted to sell the updated lists.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I have just had a call back from Pendle Council electoral services, apparently the statement in the first paragraph is the current status applying to the elector, so my details are not on the open register. She did add that they have had a lot of phone calls!
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`Let There Be Ambiguity and Obfuscation', the motto of our glorious institutions!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just got mine and it's different than yours because I am on the open register. It was clear and concise, no problems with it.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “Borough Council”