Global Moderator

Re: Favourite Walks and Rambles

Post by Stanley » 20 May 2019, 02:22

Now to do it with a weighted pack!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker » 20 May 2019, 08:28

Not a requirement of my physio regime Stanley, I'm not training for the SAS. Just getting there was a milestone I set my sight's on when I woke up from the anaesthetic. That one is done and will be done a few more times before I tackle Penyghent.

It wasn't that long since you were telling me to take it easy as "it would come", make your mind up. :smile:
Ian

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 21 May 2019, 02:51

No need to, it has come!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker » 24 May 2019, 21:36

Nice day for a walk if a tad breezy. I nipped round to see Miles at the pie shop and relieved him of one of his Cornish Pasties for lunch. Packed up and set off via my normal escape route up to Standridge and then the ridge route up to the summit. It was a bit breezy when you had gained a bit of height and I met a couple who were resting behind the wall by the second stile to get out of the wind. I stopped here as well for a drink and we had a bit of a chat. They were following a route of one of our locally published walks and had started from Letcliffe. They were not local but from over near Leeds and had come for the day. After a 5 minute rest I cracked on, the couple overtaking me in the next quarter mile. I was over the last stile before the summit by then and we more or less arrived at the same time. Their route was taking them down to Weets House and along Gisburn Old Road to return via Lister Well. I was intending to come off the North side and back home via The Edge in the valley. I changed my mind as the quite stiff wind would have been in my face all the way back. I was ready for my lunch so I backtracked down from the summit and got behind the wall near the exit onto the path over to Duckpond. I had my lunch and then struck out across the moor. I passed the stile down to Duckpond and continued forward over the rough pasture and down onto Lister Well for my return. Not my favourite route home but it did extend the route by about another mile over the Duckpond Folly return. I came down Manchester Road then Gillians Lane and returned via Forty Steps, Ouseldale and Clough.

Warm in the sun when out of the wind. Took my windproof jacket but could do without it for most of the route. Endomondo tells me that this is my best so far this year. :smile:
Ian

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 25 May 2019, 02:17

So there was a small queue for Weets Summit.......
You're doing well Ian.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques » 25 May 2019, 07:22

Mrs P commented that you were doing first class and was impressed by your determination to keep going.
Meanwhile, I dropped my car off for its annual MOT and walked back home through the park. 1½ mile of up hillish, at least 300ft, in half a hour. Man isn't designed for walking, the bendy bits in the middle of your legs makes sitting down dead easy. Walked back again to collect it, it had passed, also down hill, so I won't brag about that.

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker » 25 May 2019, 09:20

Aye, Bonny Colne on the Hill. One of the advantages of living around here, plenty of cardiovascular workout opportunity. :smile: You can brag about the downhill, it can be harder, especially on the knees. :extrawink:

I have to say I was ready for a sit down when I got home. The hard track down Lister Well was not the best underfoot return I have to say. Hard going on already partially weary feet. I did some stretches after my walk but I was still pretty stiff last night. I have recovered well overnight though. I am measuring my progression now by recovery time rather than endurance and distance of the walk, probably a better indicator for strength and stamina build up.
Ian

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 26 May 2019, 03:18

"I am measuring my progression now by recovery time"

I started using recovery time as an indicator when I realised I was getting old Ian. Time was when a good night's sleep repaired all the damage done the day before. Than I noted that it was taking longer! It's a very reliable indicator, in your case, of progress back from trauma.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker » 26 May 2019, 09:32

After exercise you also continue to burn calories as your body goes through the recovery process
Ian

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 27 May 2019, 02:28

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker » 15 Jun 2019, 08:32

Our lad Jack and a friend are walking the Yorkshire Three Peaks today. They made an early start and are now the other side of Penyghent and on the trek for Ribblehead via Higher Birkwith and Thorns.
Ian

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 16 Jun 2019, 02:57

Makes me feel tired just thinking about it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker » 16 Jun 2019, 09:31

Jack's phone died on the trek over Thorns so we didn't get any further updates until he was back home and in the pub. :smile: He said it was pretty wet, especially on the last leg down Sulber Nick, basically a mud slide. Hard going when you have to fight it. My daughter Carla and a few of her girlfriends are doing it in September.

Apparently Carla and Carly (who work at the same school), have a bit of a match going on. Each one taking turns to challenge each other to a different event or activity. Carla is doing a 5K through the woods run at Bolton Abbey which Carly has to attend. Carly has upped the anti with the Three Peaks in September. So daughter says Carly will owe her some miles. I have offered suggestion of The Great North Run, which Carla has already done once, and I have just thought of another. One of the Coast to Coast bike rides, (although that will need a lot of logistics). I will offer it up this afternoon when we go over to Silsden for tea. :extrawink: :biggrin2:
Ian

Return to “Favourite Walks”