Favourite Walks and Rambles

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Favourite Walks and Rambles

Post by PanBiker »

Nice day for a walk so we set off after lunch to do another section of the C-O-P (Circle of Puzzles) geocaching series and a bit more hedgerow foraging. Up Folly Lane to the top where the first of my target caches is hidden. Onward past Duckpond and then left after the field stile over the moor and down onto Lister Well Road, two more caches on this section. Bilberries were plentiful up here so Sally set about gathering while I searched for more of the cache series. Two more on the lane heading back to Barlick. The cache trail heads off towards Copy Nook for the next in the series and then back up towards Gisburn Old Road where the series starts so we elected to do this last section as a separate walk in the future. We came down just below Prospect and then headed back out across and down the heather moor to Lane Bottoms. We had collected a bag of bilberries by now and then we came across a lot of blackberries so out with another bag and another gathering session. I managed to twist my ankle coming down over the moor so we stayed on Lane Bottoms rather than go back over to Folly. Out onto the road and then down Colne Road, Forty Steps, Ouzledale and home.

Walk was 4.5miles in just short of two hours (3 hours including the foraging), Warm with a breeze when out on the moor, 582Kcal and 0.5L hydration. 5 more caches from the puzzle series and a few more clues collected. 1lb each of bilberries and blackberries.

Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Our Carla had an inset day at school yesterday preparing for the new term so we had Isla and Fin. We had a run out to Barley and took them on the Barley Sculpture trail. This is set up in Aitken Wood above the village. The walk starts at the Car Park and goes up through the village to the service road for Black Moss reservoirs and then heads off up into the conifer wood. The trail features a number of contemporary sculptures made from the materials available in the wood.

There is an overall theme of the Lancashire Witches story and a number of hidden ceramic plaques around the trail that represent each of the accused from the infamous trials. The plaques are not identified other than by what the images on them represent, they are not in order either. On the information leaflet for the trail there is a competition you can enter to correctly marry up the plaques to the individual characters, the leaflet gives details of their traits and in some cases how they were accused. The walk is a reasonable climb up to the top of the wood and the trail is then about a mile around the woodland tracks. 3 miles overall. The trail does a loop within the wood and brings you out on the same track that you ascended so we came back the same way. I noticed back near the bottom of the lane that there is another route up into the wood so we could have made it more of a circular if we had looked for the other exit. Pendle was constantly shrouded in mist.

It was a pleasant walk anyway, quiet warm with that kind of constant misty rain which really warranted a jacket but it was too warm. So jacket tied round waist and the rain about the same as the perspiration from the climb so it balanced out really. Kids enjoyed it once the hunt started although Finlay said he was tired and wanted to sit down before we had even started. He was fine once we started the search.

Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely! Just the sort of thing that kids remember years later.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Indoor work for the last couple of days so I was ready for a walk today, too nice day to miss out. We didn't want to go too far or tog up too much so decided to just do a loop around the outskirts suitable for shorts and sandals. We went up Calf Hall to Cow Pasture and then down through the field towards the stables but veered diagonally across the next field after crossing the little stream. Up to the stile in the corner then down to New House. The fields in full sun coming down from Cow Pasture were essentially dry, but down towards Brogden the dew from this mornings very heavy mist kept the grass sodden, it was firm underfoot though and the wet grass was a joy to walk in with sandals. We came out onto Brogden then down the lane a couple of fields to pick up the path over to Fernbank. Fields here were the same with wet grass just high enough to keep our feet wet and nice and cool. Through the old mill yard and back over to Valley Gardens and home. I set my Endomondo off to track the route but for some reason it didn't want to play, maybe I cancelled it when I put the phone in my pocket. Anyway, its just over 2.5 miles and was a nice pleasant walk for a very warm late summers afternoon.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I wouldn't dare go walking in the fields in shorts and sandals - even with long trousers, socks and shoes I get bitten by insects and sometimes get big blisters! Do you have ticks up there? They're a growing problem here.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

They never seem to bother me Tiz, Sally is "main course" for anything that bites. I have had to have her at medical facilities once when abroad when some foreign bug had a go at her. She had an upper arm like Popeye and need cross spectrum AB's to sort it. Whatever the flying variety was that bit her got her in the arm with no lymph nodes. She said she hoped it was finished off by the remnants of her chemo treatment.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I got stung by a wasp on the arm whilst driving the tanker and my arm did the same, the docs were quite taken with it! Swelled up from wrist to shoulder like a sausage. (I carried on to Grimsby.......)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I've had wasp stings with no trouble other than feeling it the moment it happened. But I don't know the identity of the beast that causes my blisters, I don't feel anything at the time. But I know it can bite me through my sock! An hour later it starts itching like any run of the mill insect bite and I put a spot of anti-histamine cream on to relieve it. Then hours later it turns into a blister and gets to the size of a 50p piece, full of straw coloured serum. The blister doesn't go down and I end up having to lance it; usually it inflates again and needs a second lancing. All this goes on over a period of about 10 days. I'm careful about the lancing, using alcohol on cotton wool to sterilise the skin and scalpel. The blister is always on my ankle and a dressing is needed to stop abrasion by my sock and trouser bottom. I've found that hydrocolloid dressings are marvellous, they protect the blister and are easy to remove. They allow the wound to dry out and heal.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Sally has to very careful with her left arm, no lymph nodes of course means no defence for bacterial infection which can start quite innocuously with a bite or cut and then go bad very quickly. She used to wear an SOS pendant (no IV's in left arm etc) for a while after her surgery and treatment but she's a bit more laid back about it now and carries the info in her purse. It's flagged on her medical records of course as is her allergy to asprin but that has not stopped hospitals giving it to her. She has tried just about every natural and man made chemical repellent to try and dissuade the critters but the various products tend to work on and off. Over the years she has settled with a small cocktail of products that seem to work but some flying species still manage to find the odd bit of anatomy that gets missed. Don't know what it is about me that ensures they don't bite me, I must have the right pheromones, or maybe it's "slugs and snails and puppy dogs tails, that's what little boy's are made of" that does the job :wink:
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

PanBiker wrote:Don't know what it is about me that ensures they don't bite me
. In truth they probably do but your resistance to this kind of infection must be quite high. How many times have you been on holiday abroad and at breakfast next morning been subject to a display of last night's mosquito bites. I can't imagine these little critters saying "don't touch him he's from Barlick".
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I can honestly say that I have never noticed ever being bitten. Flying stuff still buzzes round which is annoying but they never settle to feast. If I could bottle the effect I would be a rich bloke, maybe I really am a Jedi and possess "the force". :grin:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Just been for a little 2.5mile walk around the lanes. We went up Esp Lane and it's nice to report that the gated stile I reported to LCC above Springs off Esp Lane has been sorted by Tom and his team. It now has a small but substantial new gate, hinge post and spring. This particular one had been dropping in bits for years. A proper job as always done by Tom and the Pendle Team. We continued on up Edge lane then cut across to my favourite stone style above Dark Well. Boggy stile lower down is still boggy but we managed to sneak round the gate in the corner, didn't fancy the sunken pallets in just my walking trainers. Down round the concessionary path at the side of old limestone workings (humps and hollers) and out onto Hollins Lane. Out with the bag for another haul of late fruiting blackberries. Down the path to Cow Pasture then back into the fields to return by the stables and on to Valley Gardens and home. Nice walk, very pleasant in the sun if out of the slightly cooler breeze, Just over 1 hour including foraging time.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

We did a circular around Weets today. I was going to do the last 6 geocaches of the C-O-P puzzle series out towards Copy nook then over to Gisburn Old Road. Problem is that the last cache is a mystery one that you need all the clues from the others to find it's location and number 12 of the series that I have done so far has gone missing and has not been replaced yet. This one is a multi puzzle type cache and is likely to have more than one clue in it making it less likely that we could find the final cache.

Consequently we elected to skip the geocaching run and just do the hill. We went up Colne Road and then out onto the heather moor via Lane Bottoms, up to the top of the moor and over to Higher View on Folly. Onward to the top of the lane and over past our giant friends at Duckpond. Right after the field and over the moor to the summit path to Weets trig. The beacon site by the cairn has almost been reclaimed by the moor and should be fully recovered next Spring. We trigged out and noticed the fantastic visibility today. Blackpool Tower in view from the trig and all the lower dales lit in various degrees of sunshine. Penyghent particularly magnificent today. We came back down via the ridge path to Standridge, bottom end of Folly and back via Town Head, Westgate and Parrock. Top of the moor starting to produce odd bits of clag, 4.8 miles in 1h 50m, a slightly cool NE breeze in the exposed areas but nice in the sun, no jacket required just a base layer T and light Tog top.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice to know someone was keeping an eye on the view!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I noticed on the Geocaching site that the C.O.P.12 cache near the top of Folly Lane that was stolen earlier in the year has been replaced with a substitute by the cache series owner. It was a nice day today so we set off to do a Weets circular to include signing this cache off en route. Didn't take long to find it with the new coordinates from the Geocaching site, the cache has been moved by about 50 feet from it's original location. We carried on to the top of Folly and round past our local giants at Duckpond. Right across the heather moor which is already turning back into mire on the footpath line in places. Out onto Weets side and up past the cairn to the trig, we stopped on the Millenium bench for a few minutes to take in the view a couple of biscuits and a drink.Visibility clear all the way to the Fylde coast with the tower at Blackpool visible as it was on our last visit. We came back down the ridge with a steady cool breeze coming up from the valley. It was a decent day as long as you kept moving, I had to shed a layer on the climb up Folly so only really needed a base layer and my windproof jacket. Normal way home from Standridge retracing our steps down Moorgate, Colne Road and home. 4.5miles in 1h 34m, lots of calories for the pea and ham soup with dumplings, just the job after an afternoon on the hill :grin:

On another matter, I checked my email tonight and found mail from Tom Partridge regarding the stile I reported with the boggy approaches on Dark Hill. Tom reports that they have installed new boardwalks so this should now be a lot easier to traverse. Just in time for the looming Winter months. Well done to the Pendle footpaths team.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Further to my previous post, I decided to have a walk up round Dark Hill today to have look at Toms work on the stile. I went out past the stables and then up to Cow Pasture, on to Hollins Lane and then on to the bottom of Dark Hill. Its quite boggy at the stile from Hollins Lane here and I noticed that a digger has been in the field an put a slit trench in as an aid to drainage at the bottom of the field. Anyway, scattering the local rabbits I climbed up the filed to the middle stile that has had the work done.

This is the new boardwalk that the Pendle footpaths team have installed on the lower approach

This is a vast improvement on the couple a of semi submerged pallets that were there before.

Its of substantial construction with a central strut between the outside rails with the walkway made from decking timbers so should last a good number of years.

Here it is from the top side of the stile where the ground is still spongy but it is mainly mossy ground and the existing timbers to firm it up are still functional.

I carried on up onto Edge Lane and came down onto Esp Lane, I noticed that Moor Close Farm has a sale notice on. I continued to the gated stile above Springs which is another that I reported that the footpath lads have sorted.

The old gate was in a total state of disrepair it had rubber strap hinges that had perished, the gate was hanging in bits and closing was via what was left of an old bungee cord.

The footpaths team have done a complete replacement on this one with a new hinge post and a substantial steel closing spring, once again this installation should last for years.

I came down the field to the cluster of houses at Springs and then over the stile to follow the beck back down to Hollins Lane. I used to know every nook and cranny in this beck where all the best trout used to hide when I was a lad. It was a favourite stream for tickling expeditions.

I turned left out onto Hollins and back over to the bottom of Dark Hill then over into the buttercup field, down onto Calf Hall Lane, Parrock, Butts and home. 3 miles in just over the hour, fine dry and quite warm when walking, I had to shed my top layer.

Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I went for a local walk today but I have just remembered that I did not post the walks we did on our Derbyshire break for our wedding anniversary.

At the beginning of December we had a week away in Old Glossop in the Peak District. Our kids got us the break for our Ruby Wedding anniversary. We went for a couple of walks during the week the first of which was Kinder Scout. I had always wanted to do this as its the site of the mass trespass walks back in the 1930's which were the catalyst for public rights of way into the countryside that we can all enjoy today.

There are a number of different routes up onto Kinder Scout, one from not far out of the village we were staying in. We decided to do our ascent from Edale though over in the other valley, this is also the official starting point for the Pennine Way long distance footpath. We chose our day for the walk and packed our rucksacks with our waterproofs, map, lunch, plenty of water and snack biscuits that we normally take. We drove over to Edale Village and parked up in the centre of the village. It was a fine day but very overcast as we set off up the lane out of the village towards the Nags Head pub which is more or less where the road ends. We turned left here and through the gate which is marked as the official starting point for the Pennine Way. Out into the fields for a couple of miles and on to Upper Booth Farm.

We were heading for Jacobs Ladder which is a stepped footpath to the summit but missed the marker post for the route. The signage is not the best after the small hamlet but after crossing a bridge we noticed a footpath at the side of the stream heading up the fell so decided to take this one. The footpath meandered for about a mile with open fields at the side until the foot of the fell. From here the footpath was marked as Crowden Brook and ran directly at the side of the beck as it started to climb. The path changed banks at least a dozen times as we followed it up the fell, one or two tricky crossing points which were all via boulders in the beck. We met a couple of other walkers who were also on the same route who told us that this was the original route for the Pennine Way before it was diverted onto Jacobs Ladder once completed a number of years after the footpath was first established. Continuing to climb and getting very much steeper, the path leaves the side of the brook and starts to rise at about 60 degrees. We could see that the top of the fell about another mile ahead was fast disappearing into a heavy mist, there were odd clear patches so we pressed on up the steep climb. Half an hour later we arrived on the top intending to head to the trig point. Only problem was we could not see more than a couple of meters in front of us.

The top of Kinder Scout is essentially is a large plateau of peat bog with a myriad of footpaths that traverse and intersect the summit. All the walking guides advise not to stray from the footpaths as it is quite easy to get lost on the summit especially in inclement weather. We tried following the main path we had found with a view to returning down Jacobs Ladder, we passed through a rock formation which we could see through the mist. At the other side of here though we ran into multiple paths that led in different directions on the summit. First time on the hill and with minimum visibility I did not feel confident enough navigate my way down a different route even with map and compass as I did not have a known fixed reference point to work from. We were about half a mile onto the summit and decided to retrace our steps back through the last landmark that fortunately we could still see through the mire. I don't like coming off a hill the same way as I go up, I much prefer a circular route unless conditions dictate otherwise and these were such conditions. We found the exit down the fell and retraced our steps down the brook and back down to Edale. We were a long time out on the fell, the route was quite arduous and I can see why it was diverted to an easier climb onto the summit.

Here's the route and stats for the day.

Our second walk was a couple of days later. We drove over Snake Pass to the Upper Derwent Visitor Centre at the head of Ladybower Reservoir. Ladybower and the other reservoirs in the complex were used by 617 squadron during WWII to practice for the Rhur Valley dambusting raids, the topography of the area is very similar to the target with the reservoirs surrounded by steep fells.

There are hundreds of routes around the linked reservoirs and the fells and forests that surround them. many are colour coded with regular waymarks along the various routes. We chose a circular route up through one of the nearby woods and along a ridge on the fell above, descending on a different route back through the wood. Once back to the road we crossed to return to the Visitor Centre via a lakeside path. The centre is well set up with a shop and cafe with a decent choice of very reasonably priced hot and cold food. We bought our dinner here and ate outside on the picnic tables, jacket potato with filling for Sally and a sausage and bacon butty for me. The centre has practical stuff for the outdoor users returning from their walks or rides, dog and boot wash with a station for hosing off your bike if you have had it in the mire. A shorter walk than the last but a very enjoyable dry climb on well marked paths and ramble through the woods.

I went up Weets today on one of my regular circular routes. Up Folly over via Lower Standridge to Lane Bottom. Out onto the moor at Quarry House and up and over to Higher View. Top of Folly to Duckpond then across the moor and on to the trig then back down the ridge into Barlick. It was nice walking in the snow, once up onto the moor side there was about 3" of covering with deeper drifts in some areas. It was relatively easy going but quite wet in places under the snow, the ground is still saturated in all the usual places. Bit of a nithering wind in exposed areas where you needed to zip up. I had base layer, a light fleece, my windproof jacket on and then my gillet as outer layer. I didn't take anything with me as visibility was good, not much chance of rain and I could cope with any snow shower with my layers. I wont put the route up as its already in the thread. I didn't track it with Endomondo as I usually do but used a new pedometer app that runs in the background on my phone. I have got this so I can use it to see how far I walk when I am exams invigilating up at school. Today's trek round the hill was 12,549 steps which is just short of 5 miles, 2h 10min.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Did Weet's again yesterday. Opposite way round to the other day, Folly to Standridge, up the ridge to the trig, over the moor to Duckpond and back down Folly from the top. 4.4miles 1hour 40mins, didn't see another soul on the whole route. Was keeping my eyes peeled for a lost iPhone and bank card from a post on local Facebook, didn't find it but returned to find it had been found by some ladies whilst out running.
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Walked from Ambleside to Elterwater over Loughrigg fell today. Thick thick mist with not a view insight. Glad we had a map as well as the walk notes. Hopefully got some very atmospheric photographs with swirling mist. We were glad to get back to Elterwater.

Followed it up with a nice relaxing swim in a warm leisure pool
If you keep searching you will find it
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Just under an hour out around the lanes today. Slightly damping when we set off but cleared after 10 minutes or so, no waterproofs required just light walking gear. Parrock, Town Head, Esp Lane, then up Edge Lane to my favourite stile above Dark Hill, down over the newly refurbished stile at the claggy bit just below where the well rises, out onto Hollins Lane at the bottom. The slit trench that was put in here has turned into a pond and the water is not getting away, it needs extending along the bottom of the field to run into the land drain on the corner and away into the beck. We continued round the lane and down the side path to Cow Pasture which was a bit claggy in the stock pen at the bottom as it looks like they have had some beasts in there recently. We returned home down Calf Hall, 2.5miles, 55minutes, calories earned will be used for my Cottage Pie for tea.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

An hour out in the fields and round the lanes this afternoon. Out from the Croft via Priory Way and the stables, over the beck and right below Cow Pasture, through the orchard, the gates at either end had a notice on that two more hens had been killed by dogs, one would assume not on their leads. Why can't folk be sensible with their dogs where livestock is concerned? Onward through the copse and out onto the hill behind New House. Over the hill towards Raygill until the junction with the bridleway between Brogden and Hollins, Left here and up the hill. Out onto Hollins Lane and follow it out onto Esp Lane, Townhead, Westgate, Walmsgate and home. A bit of damp in the air and claggy in some of the fields, just a tad over 3 miles in a little over an hour.

Here's the Endomondo plot for anyone that's interested.

Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

We have done three walks during the week. First was out past Gilbeber then round by Stock Hamlet returning via Bracewell and then back via Cloggers, Brogden and Fernbank (4.2 miles). Second walk was uphill via Folly to Standridge, across the fields over Gillians beck and onto Lane Bottoms, back into the lower field to the bottom of Lister Well, a short dogleg onto Hodge Lane and return via King Hill, (2.8 miles).Today's was a partial revers of the first, out via Fernbank, Brogden, Cloggers but then a short dodge up the road and onto the bridleway at Crook Carr, Gilbeber, Broad Ing and back via the park, (3.2 miles).

A walking related tip. I have a number of pairs of walking pants for summer and winter wear. I like the Micheal Palin pants (Solardry Craghoppers), they are light and functional. I have 2 pairs for summer walking and 2 lined pairs for colder winter walking. All have belt loops as standard. I have added buttons to all of them for braces, much more comfortable than trying to hold them up with a belt especially on longer walks. I have plenty of pairs of braces, bunny ears preferred, I tried clip on's but they tend not to stand up to the rigors that multiple stiles can demand. Like double skinned cotton lined "thousand mile socks", bunny eared braces are the way to go. :grin:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Not really a favourite route but part of this one I probably have not been on for 50 years or more. We had Isla and Finlay with us so we went up Kelbrook Road then down to the marina, over Cockshot Bridge and up Bob Prestons onto Salterforth Lane. Not wanting to do the quagmire which is the lane back to Rainhall we went straight across Salterforth Lane and up the farm track towards Kayfield. Half way up we took a stile into the field and went diagonally across to the next one on the boundary. Through the next field and then doglegged right towards Rainhall Farm, the exit stile here is step through which is broken. I will report this on the LCC site so that the footpath team pick it up for maintenance, both vertical posts are there but the horizontal step plank is broken off the post at one end and is now 6" short. The path form here cuts diagonally across the field behind and to the right of Rainhall Farm, across a farm track and then through the next field to where the Rainhall Viaduct is buried along with the landfill. Apart from the evidence of two partially sunken gateposts at the Gill side there is absolutely no trace of the magnificent structure that is buried below. When the landfill was finalised and the old branch cut filled with 30 years of Barlicks rubbish, the parapets were removed and then the whole site was covered in topsoil and grassed over. 30 further years and apart from the remains of the gateposts and the tell tale of the vent for the festering rubbish below further down the field there is no trace of the old branch canal or the viaduct.

Here is how it looked originally with the quarry beyond the viaduct.

Here, much later during the landfill operation. Landfill continued both sided of the viaduct and right up to the camera position of this shot which looks like it is taken from Salterforth Lane.

Onward with our walk into the top corner of the field and out onto the top of Gill Lane. we went down to the church and visited all the family graves. My Mum and Dad first, then our Dan who has a stone up in the crematoria area of the churchyard, then my Grandad John Willie and Grandma Sarah Jane on the way out, these of course, Isla and Finlay's Great,Great Grandparents. We returned up back via Gill Lane and Skipton Road. Just over 4 miles, dry but overcast, warm enough if you kept moving. here is the Endomondo plot.

Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We were up to our ankles in mud on more than a few occasions on our walk down to Kelbrook and back today. My Brasher boots are doing well though and keep the water out, even coping with a good hosing down when we got home.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

My KSB's are the same Wendy, they have been watertight since I got them and perfectly surefooted on all terrains encountered so far with the Vibram soles. They are due a Nikwax treatment which I will sort sometime this next week, I'm invigilating every day so not much chance of getting out again before next weekend. I will be starting on Jacks kitchen following my school stint as well, I'll get the exercise but not via my boots.
Ian

Return to “Favourite Walks”