Favourite Walks and Rambles

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Favourite Walks and Rambles

Post by PanBiker »

This was a good thread on the old site so a new airing on here. Lets have your best Walking and Rambling adventures. Photo's always welcome to show where you have been. I will put a link in here to Gmap Pedometer which is a nice site that you can record your walks on. It will show the route, the mileage, calories burnt and the terrain traversed if you want the information.
You can also post the routes on here once recorded. As an example here is the Weets circular I did yesterday to show how it works.

Weets Circular

Information generated tells me the route was 4.266 miles. If I entered my weight it would tell me the number of calories burnt.

To create the URL click on "Save Route" and save as "Public" then copy the URL link generated.
Ian
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Favourite Walks and Rambles

Post by Doc »

That's a nice feature :smile:
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Chief Stoker - Royal Navy (Retired)
Twinkletoes

Post by Twinkletoes »

Is there a safer route to Letcliffe Park with small children other than taking the car? I heard there is a path on Kelbrook Road but I am unsure of the exact location of the footpath. Help please :grin:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Twinkletoes wrote:Is there a safer route to Letcliffe Park with small children other than taking the car? I heard there is a path on Kelbrook Road but I am unsure of the exact location of the footpath. Help please :grin:
Here you go Nicola click the link below, you need to go up King Hill which will take you up to the park (uphill all the way but in the fields). Go through the gate into the field and head straight up. There's a style at the top into the park. Route is from outside school.

King Hill - Gmap Pedometer
Ian
Callunna

Post by Callunna »

Been meaning to ask you about this, Ian. It will be very useful for the next walks book but being a bit thick I can't work out how to map a route and get the calculations.

Maybe one day I could sit down with you and you could show me on an actual walk route?
Twinkletoes

Post by Twinkletoes »

PanBiker wrote:
Twinkletoes wrote:Is there a safer route to Letcliffe Park with small children other than taking the car? I heard there is a path on Kelbrook Road but I am unsure of the exact location of the footpath. Help please :grin:
Here you go Nicola click the link below, you need to go up King Hill which will take you up to the park (uphill all the way but in the fields). Go through the gate into the field and head straight up. There's a style at the top into the park. Route is from outside school.

King Hill - Gmap Pedometer
That's brilliant, Thanks Ian :)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Callunna wrote:Been meaning to ask you about this, Ian. It will be very useful for the next walks book but being a bit thick I can't work out how to map a route and get the calculations.

Maybe one day I could sit down with you and you could show me on an actual walk route?
A few tips and you should be OK Cally.

Start by zooming in on the map just like google maps or google earth. It uses different data but works just the same. You can select various map views such as map (showings streets etc) Satellite, Hybrid .... Satellite is best when you are in fields etc. You can switch these views during route plotting, so if you start in town use street view and then switch to Satellite when in the fields.

In the side panel make selections with the radio buttons for Units (English = Miles or Metres)

Next set the mode, for walking choose - Manually (straight lines)

All the other stuff in the box is for after you have done the route so at this point you can start the plot.

Double click at your starting point on the map, it will place a marker at that point, now all you have to do is trace your route like laying a breadcrumb trail. Each time you double click it will place another marker on the map as you move from point to point, As you can only place straight lines in this mode you might have to click a few times to navigate round sharp bends or winding paths etc. Just keep going. You will see the distance of the route alter in the side panel you can collapse this by clicking on the zoom shut tab at the top right of the panel. If you make a mistake there is a link you can click on to remove the last point this is recursive so you can step back as many times as you like.

That's basically it. the other stuff you can do at the end. Turning on calorie counter will ask for your weight and then give calories burnt. Elevation will turn on a small or large elevation trace. Complete will draw a there and back route over the same track.

Not used either of the other modes (for runners and cyclists) so not sure of their behaviour.

Save route will prompt for private or public. I think you need to register if you want to save the route as private so you can recall it and edit it later. If you choose public it will give you a box with the URL for the route. Copy and paste this and it will give you a link back to the route but you will not be able to edit it.

The URL generated will show whatever you had on the screen when you did the save.

Give it a whirl, it's dead easy once you get going. Google do a pedometer as well but last time I looked it was not as versatile as this one.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice to see this topic back on the site.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Just got back from a good walk with my neighbour. We are sticking to roads at the moment as the fields are so muddy.
Set off from home and walked down Skipton Old Road to the Lothersdale turn off. (This part is not enjoyable and not for the faint hearted. It is a favourite spot for speeding/overtaking and terrifying pedestrians.) Down towards Lothersdale, past Dowshaw, then through on the old Raygill Quarry track to come out at the Fold. It took us about 10 minutes to clamber round a mud bath at the lowest point on the track, but apart from that it is a lovely walk through into Lothersdale. Down through the village past the mill dam then a sharp right turn back up Sidegate Lane. Its quite a steep climb up here back up onto the top of the hill, and I was with someone 10 years younger and considerably fitter. I only had to stop twice to catch my breath! Back onto Hawshaw Road on top of the moor, then home again.
Here is the route:-
on gmap -pedometer
(You probably need to zoom out to see it better)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

A Trawden Forest walk this morning, just over 5 miles starting & finishing at the Wycoller car park. We walked down into the village then took the first track to the right towards Raven Rock Farm. Followed the path off to the right and up wooden steps into the wood. We passed to the right of Raven Rock, then straight ahead past Germany then Little Laithe farms and on down to the road beyond Alderbarrow. Right would take you to Hollin Hall & Trawden, but we went left and followed the road till it becomes a track leading to Mean Moss. ( You could detour to Lumb Spout here, but we decided not to this time.) We joined the track running along the moors edge below Boulsworth, which at this point is the Pendle Way, the Bronte Way and the Pennine Bridleway, and followed it round to Turnhole Clough. Taking the path which follows the Clough down through the woods we joined the main track below Dean House and back through the village to the car park.
A really good walk through varied terrain, not too muddy, though I'm glad I put my gaiters on. Alfie the white dog was black halfway up by the time we got back to the car.
Our route on gmap
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It was a lovely morning for a walk today, as Alfie (the dog) and I set off down the hill from home. We met up with my neighbour by Kitchen Farm and headed down past Harden Clough, Harden New House and along the track round the edge of the moor towards Thick Bank Farm and out onto Cob Lane, which runs between Kelbrook & Colne. Today we turned left towards Colne, and after following the lane almost as far as Noyna, took the left hand turn up towards the Kelbrook gun club. Alfie was very relieved that no one was shooting today as we passed close to the range. The path leaves the farm track, skirting Kelbrook Moor and following the route of an ancient trackway up to Copy House (Harwes), through the fields behind Piked Edge and the Black Lane Ends pub and coming out onto Skipton Old Road on the bend before Hainslack. This is the near the site of "Howshay Bar", The old toll gate on the Lancashire/Yorkshire border.
We walked down the road from here back to our own track and home.
Here is our route on gmap
A nice walk of just over 4.5 miles, it takes us about an hour and three quarters, depending on conditions underfoot.
If any one fancies trying some of the walks up here, you're welcome to park at our place.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It looks as though my knee may have put paid to longer walks but I know thaqt ground well Wendy. It would be lovely yesterday.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It was just right Stanley, beautifully clear and not too warm. I'm so lucky to live up here and to be able to go out into the hills straight from home! The more I find out about the history of the area the more I enjoy my walks. The friend I walk with has absolutely no interest in history whatsoever, which is probably a good thing, as we would never get anywhere.
The last section of the Pennine Bridleway between Harden Old House and Wycoller is being worked on at the moment, which is great news as it means riders around here will be able to avoid the terrifyingly fast traffic on Skipton Old Road. Too late for me and my old pony, we gave up a couple of years ago. This bit of the route crosses from Harden Old House to just above Kitchen, up the track, then over the fields to cross Skipton Old Road on the straight bit between the pub and Hainslack. It then it heads across to Warley Wise Lane and down the track past Knarrs to Laneshawbridge, coming out at what used to be the Hargreaves Arms, and from there to Wycoller. Once it is complete there will be a route from Derbyshire to Cumbria...except for one small problem still to be resolved, and that is crossing the A65 in Long Preston!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My walking has been circumscribed for about two months because of me old war wound but even so it's worth noting how lucky we are in Barlick. The walk round Valley Gardens and Butts is a delight and Jck and I are walking in green fields within five minutes in any direction. We are very lucky.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We have begun walking the Dales Way with my brother & sister law who were visiting for a couple of days. As a gentle start to an 82 mile walk from Ilkley to Bowness, we walked about 14 miles over two days. On Thursday morning we met up at Bolton Abbey, had a coffee in the tea rooms then caught the 11.11am Dalesbus, which whipped us into Ilkley in about 10 mins.
The start of the walk is at the old bridge in Ilkley, and we left there at about 12.00. It was a lovely easy walk along the Wharf of about 6.5 miles, through Addingham and back to Bolton Abbey in glorious sunshine. We enjoyed an ice cream sat beside the river, watching the kids streaming across the river via the stepping stones...nice to see that it is still allowed, mind you, I certainly couldn't do it!
Day two we planned to walk from Bolton Abbey to Burnsall....about 7.5 miles. The buses were on a bank holiday timetable, which meant we couldn't time things right for a bus trip, and had to use 2 cars. Any other day but a Sunday we could have caught a bus back from Burnsall.
It wasn't the best day to be walking through the woods, as there was a kiddies Easter Egg hunt going on between the Cavendish Pavillion and the Strid. Crowds and crowds of folk streaming up and and down the path, but once past the Strid it calmed down somewhat. We arrived in Burnsall with a few aching bones (I think because most of the path is surfaced, it's not as forgiving as grass!) We were relieved to find that the tea rooms were happy to admit the dog, and enjoyed a very welcome pot of tea.
We have arranged another weekend in August to do another section from Burnsall to Kettlewell, and I must admit I'm looking forward to getting away from the river and up into the hills.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just a plug for Valley Gardens. I never tire of this walk, always something different to see even tough it is only a small area embedded in the town.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

In the spirit of The Queens Jubilee and also the efforts 60 years ago of Tenzing Norgay and Edmund Hillary we set out to climb our local peak. I can announce that our ascent went without too much trouble and we managed without the assistance of oxygen, although I have to say that after yomping my way to the trig I could probably have done with a quick whiff! On reaching the summit we planted the union flag at the top.

The sherpa planting the flag on the summit.

We descended via the Northern route a quick glance back as we started our descent shows the flag fluttering in the breeze as the only evidence of our visit to the summit.

Evidence of ascent.

Okay, we were short by 27,776ft but it's the thought that counts! :hia:
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

One for the history books Ian...or Stanley's Index at least!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hmmmmm.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Callunna

Post by Callunna »

I posted this in another topic but it struck me that this would also be a good place for it.

My turn to be pack leader of the monthly walk by the Northern Greyhound Rescue charity support group. These walks take place in different towns all over Lancashire. Naturally I suggested we set off from The Greyhound pub in Barlick and the local press might even come down to take a photo.

I’m planning to go over 40 steps then down to Moorgate. Those dogs that can’t cope with stiles will then be sent up Folly Lane with instructions to turn round and retrace their steps after 30 minutes.

The rest will come with me across the field next to Newfield Edge, turn left on Esp Lane up to Springs, turn right then go through the farmyard towards Midge Oyl and eventually rejoin Esp Lane, along Pickles Hippings, through Ouzeldale Wood and back to the pub for nibbles. And a pint of locally brewed Hare of The Dog I should imagine.

According to my phone pedometer when I did a recce, it’s a 1.6 mile round trip, and it took just over an hour at a leisurely pace, taking in the wonderful views and magnificent flora and fauna.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

A good day for a walk Cally, lovely and sunny but nice & fresh too. We had a walk down to Kelbrook & back yesterday afternoon and it was a joy to be out. The new bit of the Pennine Bridleway has made it easier for us to do a circular walk down the clough & back.
If anyone wants to try a walk from Barlick along the new bridleway to here I can offer a cuppa and possibly even a lift back...as long as you let me know in advance of course! :grin:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

For walkers, hikers and ramblers who have smartphones, you can use an application such as Endomondo, which is a sports tracker. The application is available as a free download for most of the mobile phone operating system platforms. You can look for your particular mobile on the link below, it will tell you if your mobile is compatible. Look for the links at the bottom of the page.

Endomondo Website

Once it is installed and activated It uses the phones inbuilt GPS or cell triangulation to act as a tracking device for all kinds of sports activities. You can set it for walking, running, jogging, cycling in fact just about any active sport or recreation. It even has settings for gym sessions using walking or jogging machines and circuit training regimes. The application is only active when you want to use it and is very easy to setup and operate.

Start the application on your phone, choose the sporting activity you are about to do, wait for the phone to acquire a fix from GPS or cellular network and hit the start button. If its a static activity such as in the gym you don't need the GPS fix and the clock just starts running. You can lock the application now so that you don't inadvertently hit any keys. With a mobile activity such as a bike ride, run or walk, the phone will now track your position and speed. You can set it up so that if your speed drops below a certain level the application will automatically pause, it starts again as soon as you start moving again. At the end of your exercise session you hit the stop key. The application will then prompt to upload your session to your account on the Endomondo website.

Your account on the website keeps all your sessions on a calendar along with the route and performance details such as speed and distance, terrain and altitude traversed and It tells you how many calories you have burned. You can see your route superimposed on Google Maps which is interfaced into the website, you can zoom in and out etc. You can challenge friends who also use the application and also see how they are performing if you choose to share your information. You can also link it to facebook so that it automatically posts your activity sessions to your wall.

I hope this link will show my efforts, (it works for me but you may have to be an Endomondo user to see the stats). Can someone tell me if this link works?

My Workouts

We have been using it now for about 3 months tracking our cycling and walking. It's a free download and service and can be very useful in helping to see performance improvement.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The link doesn't work for me Ian. No smart phone either I'm afraid.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Thanks Wendy, I had an idea that it may not, I can obviously see it as they are my statistics within my account. It does show that the privacy settings work on the site though.

We may take you up on the offer of a brew someday though if we take a walk up your way, it would make a change from passing on Weets!

I forgot to say as well that if you have music and playlists on your phone you can get the Endomondo application to play them for you while you jog, run, ride etc. I know a lot of joggers and runners and folk in the gym like to do it to music.
Ian

Return to “Favourite Walks”