Favourite Walks and Rambles

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Favourite Walks and Rambles

Post by PanBiker »

A quick walk round the fields and lanes yesterday. It was cold but fine when we set of so we togged up in dry walking gear, base layer, light fleece and wind proof soft shell outer, lined winter pants and boots. We just went out via the stables and out into the fields below Cow Pasture the fields were fairly claggy, surprising how much rain we have had. We saw a sparrow hawk perched surveying his hunting ground in the lower field. I just started to mizzle slightly as we climbed the hill up to the farm. We went up through the stock holding pen and up onto Hollins Lane. We had intended going up Dark Hill to Edge Lane but the mizzle had turned to proper rain and very small hailstones by then, it didn't look like baiting so we stayed on Hollins and just returned via Esp Lane and Town Head. the rain stopped when we got to Town Head. Only a couple of miles but enough to get the heart rate up, back home in 40 minutes.

Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'll bet you were out yesterday.... lovely weather!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We had an enjoyable walk around Wycoller yesterday, it was perfect walking weather but hard going in some places through the mud. We park up just past Carrier's Row at Laneshawbridge then follow the Pendle Way along the beck into the village and beyond, past Parson Lee Farm and up Smithy Clough to the junction with the track to Haworth. A right turn, still following the Pendle Way, takes you past Brink Ends Farm then down into Turnhole Clough where you cross the rather magnificent bridleway bridge, constructed a few years ago to replace an old one that had been washed away. After the bridge we leave the Pendle Way as it heads off past Boulsworth towards Coldwell and take a path past the rocks above the Clough before dropping down to the ruin of Banks House and back into the village. It's not quite a circular as you have to walk back along the beck the way you came to Laneshawbridge, but it's a good leg stretch and not too strenuous.....about four miles at a rough guess. :smile:
If you feel inclined you can stop at the cafe in Wycoller for refreshments afterwards, they don't object to muddy boots!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

What I may call a 'Stroll in the Park' . Alkincoats Park, Colne,
This image from the park more or less covers the general terrain of Wendy's walk. The gap in the 'Mountain' range is the target for serious walkers.Image
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice pic P. Surprised mud bothered you Wendy, it's frozen hard at the moment here!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

That was Wednesday Stanley, it didn't freeze until the afternoon.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Out in the fields and lanes again today, basically an extended version of the last walk I reported. We did the whole route we intended last time. Stables then up to Cow Pasture, field in the bottom were fairly waterlogged. Through the stock pen and up the path onto Hollins Lane, we took the concessionary path up past the humpty dumpties and out onto Dark Hill. Up to the new staging and we were surprised how dry the top side of here was, not even spongy as is the norm. Up the hill to my favourite stile then the footpath for a while before detouring onto Edge Lane. Down the lane to Moor Close and onto Esp Lane. I noticed that there is only one waymark on the lane above Moor Close indicating the route down Edge Lane. There should be one pointing forwards here as the public footpath extends through the next farmyard as far as the field barn in the lea of Weets side. The route used to go all the way through to Gisburn Track (1853 map) but now terminates at the barn. It would only require a couple of stiles to reopen this route out onto the moor and common land but I believe there is contention here with the farmer. At one time there used to be a notice to the effect of no through route at the top of Esp Lane and gates were locked on the route by accounts I have heard. As it stands there is no through route but the public right of way does extend to the barn. I might report the missing waymark and see what the footpath team report, nothing lost. Anyway we returned down Esp Lane and Town Head. I will not put the route up as it's already in the thread, just short of 3 miles 59 minutes, cold but warm enough when walking, dry for us, from the top of Edge Lane we could see snow clouds for a while up in the lower Dales.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Looks like another good walking day today.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Indeed, we went out after lunch. Moorgate then up Folly Lane, hard frost so the concrete was a bit slippery by Causeway Carr. Up the steps and into the fields over to Lower Standridge. The fields were frozen with about a quarter inch crust still boggy in parts, some of the grass and compacted bits on the slopes were a bit treacherous but you just had to be careful. Down the field to the bridge over Gillians beck and onward across the hillside to Lane Bottom. We turned upwards to Quarry Cottage and out onto the moor, we crossed the little tributary that runs off the moor into Gillians and over on to Lister Well. Descended to the bottom then back over into the field to loop back to Lane Bottom. We descended to Tubber Hill and then came back down Manchester Road and home. Cold but dry, same gear as yesterday but was quite warm especially when climbing, 3.4 miles, 1hour 20min, 460ft ascent.

Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

A very brisk wintery walk this morning with my ex neighbour who has now moved to Gargrave. We met up at the lay-by near the cattle grid on Pinhaw, walked up the Pennine Way to the summit and stopped for a couple of seconds to admire the view but it was face achingly cold up there with a strong Easterly wind blowing. We followed the Pennine Way across the moor until we reached farmland above Lothersdale, then headed back towards the road again emerging off the moor at the other cattle grid. A quick walk along the road brought us to the gate into the Elslack woodland from where we followed a path through the wood down to the main forest track above the reservoir. More brisk walking along the track until reaching the path that cuts steeply up the hill through the trees and then out (into the wind again)across the moor back to our starting point. Very bracing!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'll bet it was! Big wind chill yesterday.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Time for the first Weets circular of the year. Sun was shining after lunch so we togged up with light gear and set off for the local hill. Usual escape route up Colne Road then Moorgate and Folly, the sun had disappeared by the time we got to Standridge and into the field to continue the climb. I have put pictures up of this route before but have decided to take different views this time. Up the first field and a look back down into town. You can see the first signs of the Bronze Age track across the moor here disappearing into the pasture.

Looking the other way as the ancient route heads up the ridge.

Onwards and upwards onto the ridge where the path levels out and a shot of the summit in the distance.

The path is quite claggy in places but not to difficult to traverse.

Not quite thawed fully up here.

One of the upper feed sources on this side of the hill for Springs Beck.

Approaching the summit and the Eastern end cairn, hand built and added to by generations of Barlickers.

Adjacent beacon site now more or less fully recovered since its last use at the Queens Diamond Jubilee.

Summit trig.

View to Pendle Hill from the trig.

Seat with a view, this is the Millennium bench which was installed from a suggestion of mine to the Town Council in 1999 who were asking for Millennium projects. It was actually installed in 2001 so has been in service now for 17 years.

It has not had a lot of TLC over the years and is in dire need of replacement. It gets plenty of use and someone has given it a bit of seasonal trimming. I have suggested replacing it with one of the modern composite fibreglass type benches that are impervious to rotting and affectively need no maintenance once installed.

Taking up the path over the moor to return via Duckpond. This is not on the definitive footpath map but has been in use as long as I have been climbing the hill, well over 50 years.

It can get very boggy over here on the heather moor but it's not too bad today.

The moor reclaiming from the Inclosure.

Gated stile above Duckpond, this has been repaired since my last circuit, I reported that it had broken hinges on the LCC reporting site and Tom and his team have been out and sorted it.

Duckpond giants stand sentinel over all they survey.

I wonder how many others have had their picture taken with them?

Back on Folly Lane at the top heading down for Higher View. You can just see a small herd of Belted Galloways in the distance.

You come down a lot quicker than you go up, rest of the route from half a mile further on is just retracing our route back into town. It was a pleasant walk, overcast and done today because it was there and not for the views. It was brighter out to the West but not a lot of features visible today in any direction. Light walking gear, base layer, fleece and wind proof outer, glad of the boots today for the terrain and bits of clag. 4.5 miles, 1 hour 43 min.

Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good pics......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Rotting benches....In the 1990s Tetra Pak in Sweden showed that benches could be made from waste Tetra Pak cartons and that they were very resistant to weathering. At the time, the cartons were considered to be not recyclable because they are made from a laminate consisting of 75% paper, 20% polyethylene and 5% aluminium. It didn't catch on and eventually ways of de-laminating the material were developed and the company was able to claim they are now recyclable. In practice the cartons usually go into landfill because the recyclers can't cope with yet another extra process to separate the component materials. In the meantime, the bench idea has caught on in India and many thousands of packs have been made into park benches. Here's an example in Mumbai LINK School furniture is also made from the cartons in India. It's a pity the benches aren't made from cartons here in the UK and used in National Parks etc. The ones I saw photos of in the 1990s were brown and textured to look like timber and would not have looked out of place in the countryside.
Here is more information about Tetra Pak cartons... Cartons
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Indeed Tiz, the top of our local hill is a very hostile environment for a wooden or metal bench. It does need one made from some kind of composite material. We have a number of the fibre composite ones around town so they are not unknown to the Town Council. I fear that a replacement though will come directly down to whether funding is available in the budget. I reckon its seen a lot of use over the years, cracking view when the weather allows.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

A slightly different route for a quick walk today. Out via Commercial Street then up the steps to Taylor Street down onto Priory Way towards the stables but into the field and over onto Calf Hall Lane via Monkroyd. Up Pickles Hipping (Shitten Ginnel) to Town Head, Esp Lane and then onto Hollins Lane. There is a lot of water in Springs Beck and quite a bit in the fields. We came down the lane and returned via the buttercup field back to the top of Calf Hall. No beasts in the fields apart from a few sheep in the first small field at Calf Hall waiting for lambing. Returned down the lane and then via the Parrock, Butts and home. 2.5 miles or so in just less than 50 minutes, claggy on grass but it stayed fine for the circuit, again glad of the boots for the muckier bits.

Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Just a quick jaunt after lunch today. Out via the stables up to Cow Pasture, very wet in the fields. On up onto Hollins Lane then down the lane to pick up the path to Springs. The land drains were full running into the beck which was fairly well coloured with the amount of water in the flow, you heard it before you could see it. Through what was the the farmyard when I was a lad and up through the field onto Esp Lane. Back down home via Town Head, Westgate and Walmsgate. Just a bit over 2 miles done in 50 minutes. Slippy on the inclines in the fields but managed to stay upright. Four layers today, base, fleece, windproof and my gillet on top, glad of it on the outward leg there was a nithering wind right in your face. You can take of or vent if overdressed but can't put on extra layers you don't have. Similar routes already in the thread not long ago so no need to repeat.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a cold wind.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

A bit of a change for our walk yesterday, a lot of rain recently so the fields were bound to be wet. We went out via Victory Park and down the path to Broad Ing on Greenberfield. We crossed the road and into the fields and took the path over to the gated stock moving bridge over Stock Beck. There was standing water in pools in the fields but the ground was surprisingly firm as long as you watched where you were going. The path continues on to Gilbeber here of course but we chose to turn right and make for the marker onto the bridle path at the head of the field. I noticed that the waymark was missing from the bridge that indicates this route so I will pop it onto the LCC reporting site. On the bridle path we returned back through Greenberfield Farm yard and back onto the lane. We doglegged here and took the path at the bottom of the hill, up the banking and onto the canal tow path. Right here to return back into town, we passed Coates and came through to Long Ing and home via Rainhall Road and the town centre. It was a four layer day with a stiff cold wind but pleasant enough if you could get out of it, not too mucky in the fields considering the rain we have had. 3.4 miles just over 1 hour.

Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

We walked on Saturday, a reverse of one we did earlier in the month. Town Head, Esp Lane to Moor Close then onto Edge Lane. It was a cold day but plenty warm enough by the time we had got to the top of the lane before turning off down the sheep path to my favourite stile. The fields were fairly well waterlogged and the clag is building up in all the usual places. Approach to the stile below Dark Hill was remarkably not very wet but I knew the stile at the bottom to exit onto Hollins Lane would be in a lake. We came down past the old limekiln workings instead and then down the path to Cowpasture, down the two bottom fields and back via the stables, Priory Way and Valley Gardens. That one was 2.7 miles done in about 50 minutes.

Today I went on my own for a quick circuit after the early afternoon showers. Out via the Stables but straight on to the head of the field and through the stile down to New House, through the yard and out onto Brogden Lane at Raygill. Back down Brogden towards the bottom end of town but back into the fields to take the path up onto Fernbank Avenue, Coniston Drive and back home via Valley Gardens. Just short of 2 miles and managed to miss any further showers in the 40 minutes I was out.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

We went up Weets yesterday, we could see the dusting of snow on the top when we got up so decided to go and have a look. I was fine during the morning so we had a bit of lunch and togged up. We would be climbing so elected not to do four layers and left the cagoules at home, so base layer, fleece and windproof, lined winter pants and as it could be claggy we dug our gaiters out.
Onto the hill via the usual escape route up Folly Lane and Standridge Farm. We met the snowline just after the top of the first field on the Bronze Age banking, it got progressively deeper as we levelled out on the ridge. It was wet and the gaiters were welcome crossing the muddier sections where snow melt was sitting on top of the boggy bits. There were quite a few out on the hill and we passed numerous groups coming back down. Looking up into the dales we could see a swathe of dark clouds and snow showers coming our way. Fortunately these seemed to turn when they hit the Ribble Valley and headed off West without reaching Weets. We pressed on and trigged out, the summit had a reasonable covering of snow and it was difficult seeing all the boggy bits between the cairn and the trig. The original Millenium bench is still in-situ but is due for replacement, I would assume that will be a better weather job. Five minutes taking in the view and looking back down towards the ridge we saw the next squall approaching directly from the back of Skipton, this one would not make the Ribble Valley and was heading straight for us. It started snowing just as we reached the stile out onto the heather moor. Looking back down from here, the ridge had vanished. Fortunately the snow was very dry and was more like ground rice than flakes, it was driving in the wind and at our side as we came over the moor then directly in our faces as we came over the field to Duckpond. It was so dry it didn't penetrate our top layers but stuck to hats and gloves. It had stopped by the time we got to the top of Folly. We returned down the lane passing the belted Galloways at Higher View, a few more folk enjoying the hill and on the lane. Moorgate, Colne Road, Westgate and Walmsgate. It's still 4.5miles, with the same climb which took us bit longer than the last time we did it this time last month as it is always harder going in snow. Cold but OK with the gear, clag, snow but kept dry on the outside, had to have a shower when I got home as I was wet through with sweat, 0.32L according to my tracker. :smile:

Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Snowing when we set off today, small but proper flakes, not settling, definitely a cagoule day. We went up past West Craven School and down to Cockshott Bridge by the marina. Over the bridge and up Bob Prestons I noticed passing the fishing lake in early development below Far Hey, what has been excavated so far is full of water. Retracing my steps on countless cross country runs from when I was at school we emerged on Salterforth Lane. The school run generally done every time we had a sports session back in the 60's would take us along the lane then down to Barnsey but that would not be an option today with the state of the lane and after all the wet weather we have had. So we went over the stile and into the field at the bottom of the lane from Kayfield. Diagonal over here though you can see no path to pick up the next stile. I have reported this one on the LCC site once but it must have dropped off the pile, the step through is still broken and there are no waymark pointers, I will flag this one again. Diagonal again to pass around the back of Rianhall Farm. The fields were extremely boggy and we changed our mind about going forward over the buried Rainhall Rock viaduct and into the next field and instead returned back down to Salterforth Lane down the farm track. The loop behind the farm although boggy made sure we missed the almost certainly flooded lane. The gas venting burner for the landfill was not running as we came past to the top of Rainhall Crescent. Down to Long Ing and up Rainhall Road, through town and home. It stopped snowing when we were by Kayfield and we stayed warm and dry, just short of 3 miles in an hour, feet dry but boots wet so I think I will give them a spray up with the Nikwax which you have to do when wet ready for the next outing.

Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just out of curiosity, what boots do you favour Ian. My American boots that have served me well for over 20 years have gone to the great boot heaven in the sky......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I have KSB's Stanley made by Karrimor. I had a pair years ago that felt like kittens, got them from Bob Jackson when he had Alpine Overland in the old library, got over 20 years out of them until the seal went on the welt. I then tried some of the lightweight Hi-Tech boots but couldn't get on with them on two counts, the worst being they had absolutely no grip and I had a few nasty falls with them when walking in winter, they also passed water like a sieve regardless of treatments applied. So I swapped back to KSB's they are not as expensive as some of the high end brands but they have the key elements for me, they are comfortable, above the ankle, waterproof if you keep on top and they have Vibram soles. Invented in the 19thC by an Italian climber when the norm for that job was hob nailed leather boots and lots of deaths. Not had a fall in these. I have the KSB Brecon's as in the link, I got mine a Boundary Mill in one of the sales and I think they were around £99.00.

Karrimor KSB Brecon
Ian

Return to “Favourite Walks”