PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I have noticed that quite a few members have not selected an Avatar for use with their user profile. Choosing your own unique Avatar and setting it within your user profile gives your posts identity and makes them easier to spot within threads. In effect it becomes your representation on the site and will remain constant when posting on the site.

To assign an Avatar to your profile, go to your User Control Panel and click on the second tab, Profile and then on the Edit Avatar tab at the left hand side.

Please be aware that the Avatar file is quite large and may take a while to load.

Here you can browse to an image of your own (although it does have to comply with the size guidelines shown on the page), Upload an image from another URL or, if you click the button at the bottom you can display the gallery of Avatars already built into the site. Simply find one that you like, (preferably not already in use), select the radio button beneath the image, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on select, the Avatar will be added to your profile and appended to all your existing posts and any you make in the future. There are hundreds of Avatars to choose from in the Gallery, you should be able to find something that you like.

Of course it's a matter of choice, you may not prefer just to have your username but it does make it a little more difficult for other users to spot your contributions.
Ian
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Re: Avatars

Post by Whyperion »

I think the user name is a bit of a giveaway on contributions....

Some sites generate a personal default icon based on an algorithm from letters in username and entered date of birth or similar to chose pixel patternings and colours ( from a selected set of pictures or by a generator program that tessellates I am not certain ) - wonder if they can be reversed engineered to obtain some otherwise not declared user data ?

I found it a bit tricky to reduce a photo down small enough and still get clarity in it , but I am not very good at using art type programmes anyway.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Whypy - I like your cat.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Doc picked mine and loaded it when the site first started in 2004. Can't think why he chose that one.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I have bumped this post as the site behaviour has changes slightly since the recent rework. Worth a revisit though for any new members.

To assign an Avatar to your profile, go to your User Control Panel and click on the second tab, Profile and then on the Edit Avatar tab at the left hand side.

Here you can browse to an image of your own (although it does have to comply with the size guidelines shown on the page), Upload an image from another URL or, if you click the button at the bottom you can display the gallery of Avatars already built into the site. Simply find one that you like, (preferably not already in use), select the radio button beneath the image, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on select, the Avatar will be added to your profile and appended to all your existing posts and any you make in the future. There are hundreds of Avatars to choose from in the Gallery, you should be able to find something that you like.

Of course it's a matter of choice, you are not obliged to have an Avatar but it does make your contributions easier to spot.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I have bumped this as I see Cathy and Maz are still without their avatars. I would reinstall for them but this is one job that can''t be done via the admin CP. Avatar gallery is fully functional but does take a while to load. I miss Cathy's kitty and the all seeing eye from down under. :extrawink:

Update on latest version of site software. I can now load avatars for any registered members (but I would need to know which). I reloaded Maz and Cathy's as I knew what they had previously.
Ian
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I will try again to get my avatar back when I can , I only have internet on my phone and I'm running low so it will be a week or two. :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I don't know how it will load on a phone Cathy but it's worth a try.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Here you can browse to an image of your own (although it does have to comply with the size guidelines shown on the page), Upload an image from another URL or you can display the gallery of Avatars already built into the site.

Should be set to : Gallery Avatar

Then in the Category drop down select:

/images/avatars/gallery/Avatar_pack_1

Then click the Go button

This is a large file and may take a while to load, please be patient.

Once loaded:

Simply find one that you like, (preferably not already in use), select the radio button beneath the image, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on select, the Avatar will be added to your profile and appended to all your existing posts and any you make in the future. There are hundreds of Avatars to choose from in the Gallery, you should be able to find something that you like.

Of course it's a matter of choice, you are not obliged to have an Avatar but it does make your contributions easier to find.

I have modified this post as the method has changed slightly.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for taking the trouble Ian. Thankfully I have never had to do anything, Doc unilaterally assigned my Avatar and it has survived all the vicissitudes the site has gone through. Can't think why he chose that one for me.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I don't know how he did it on this platform? I cant see any way in the admin console to set an avatar for a user. I would set Maz's and Cathy's with pleasure if that was the case. I miss the all seeing eye and Cathy's kitty.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

My last post made me think and I just nipped into the ACP to try something..... :dance2: :mexwave:

Found it at last, it's in a small drop down when you admin a user in the ACP (which you never do), never thought of looking there, the method is not documented in any of the manuals.

Maz will be peeping soon. :extrawink:

Cathy should be pleased, she browses the site on her phone and had difficulty loading the Avatar gallery. :smile:
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

:goodidea: :thumbsup3: :thumbsup3: :aok:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:laugh5:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I have bumped this post as we have a few new members who might want an Avatar for their profile.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

PanBiker wrote: 11 Sep 2017, 20:43 To assign an Avatar to your profile, go to your User Control Panel and click on the second tab, Profile and then on the Edit Avatar tab at the left hand side.

Here you can browse to an image of your own (although it does have to comply with the size guidelines shown on the page), Upload an image from another URL or you can display the gallery of Avatars already built into the site.

Should be set to : Gallery Avatar

Then in the Category drop down select:

/images/avatars/gallery/Avatar_pack_1

Then click the Go button

This is a large file and may take a while to load, please be patient.

Once loaded:

Simply find one that you like, (preferably not already in use), select the radio button beneath the image, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on select, the Avatar will be added to your profile and appended to all your existing posts and any you make in the future. There are hundreds of Avatars to choose from in the Gallery, you should be able to find something that you like.

Of course it's a matter of choice, you are not obliged to have an Avatar but it does make your contributions easier to find.

I have modified this post as the method has changed slightly.
Bumped again in case anyone else wants to set one. :smile:
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Question on Avatars. I tried a sample Avatar upload from my files and got this rejection message.

The submitted avatar is pixels wide and pixels high. Avatars must be at least pixels wide and pixels high, but no larger than pixels wide and pixels high.

Which is on a par with Mrs May's answer on Brexit. Any idea what sizes it should be?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

It should show the max and min sizes but if it doesn't the minimum and maximum sizes from the admin panel are as follows:

Minimum H 20 x W 20 pixels

Maximum H 100 x W 100

File size is set at 50000 bytes (49kb)
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

This is one of my own. Made from images of a carving on the main entrance of my old school doorway. The whole place was like something out of Harry Potter.
Stone head gif.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

:interesting:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

He looks a bit grim :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good likeness...... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Grim it was. Image of Hogwarts built 1873.
'

. Plenty of carved heads on the window corbels. The odd gargoyle in the rainwater collectors and other faces peering at you from recesses. All very homely.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Looks just like 10 East Hill Street.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “User Profile”