Winter 2012

Sue
VIP Member

Re: Winter 2012

Post by Sue »

Much the same in Brittany and only 5 C however we have an excellent forecast for our stay with temperatures rising to 12 C and no rain. Not much to do in the garden as we tidied it in December, but a lawn cut will be a good idea.
If you keep searching you will find it
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Ummm, my berometer (glass) is currently reading 30.5. Is that too high or about right ? :grin:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Your barometer may vary slightly from others depending on your height above sea level and the pressure conditions local to yourself. Barometers should all be adjusted on a level playing field so to speak and that is at sea level. Not really practical for everyone in the country though. Try setting it to the same as your nearest official weather station and tweak to fine tune over time.
Ian
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We are enjoying a lovely day here in Adelaide. It's supposed to be 26C but with the constant light rain ( :yahoo: ) I'm sure it's cooler. Everything is soaked, washed and looks greener.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No aneroid barometer is dead accurate, the main clue they give you is by how they are moving. Moh and I are pretty accurate and I'm at 600ft above sea level if that's a clue. This morning it's still rising and at just under 30.2", calm, frosty and looks like another good day for February! Question is, will March come in like a lion?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Glass is 30.6.9 tonight Stanley over in Nelson. Not as high up as you though - maybe 200 feet or so ? :grin:

Just checked with Higham Weather Station below Pendle Hill. They give a berometer reading of 1036.5. So pretty near I would say. Yes all to do with altitude I think.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cold, dry and calm, sky as clear as a bell again. Glass almost back at 30". First fall for a few days. Bit of a change coming?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Forecast is for 9C around mid day. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

A beautiful start to the day. There are flocks of lapwings checking out the fields...I'm listening out for the first curlew call.
rossylass
Regular User

Post by rossylass »

Oh Wendy...lapwings & curlews. I always think that curlews sound as though they are calling from under water.
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Our glas is just above 30, it was the highest of the year a couple of days ago at 32. Another beautiful day, but I believe the last for a day or two, back to cloud tomorrow.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You could be right Moh. Glass falling very slowly from noon onwards yesterday despite a nice sunny day. Down at 30" this morning and there has been a spatter of rain. Will it deteriorate into gales? March at the moment is coming in like a lamb.
We've had our walk and I noticed two things, the first crocus in flower on the Green and a flock of seagulls grazing across the green. Now I've never been able to work out why but to me the sight of seagulls acting like this can mean that some wild weather is coming. We'll see....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Missed posting first thing this morning so this is after our walk. Dry, clear calm night with a sharp frost. Sky is as clear as a bell and it's a beautiful morning. Glass is on just under 30" and could be falling slightly. Shipping forecast for the waters round UK was essentially calm, no gales about so it looks as though the good spell isn't over yet. I'll bet it's a cracking morning up at Lower Burnt Hill.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It is Stanley. Looking forward to getting some outside jobs done.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another good morning and the forecast is even better! We are being lucky and getting the clear skies. Glass is dropping towards 29.7" but it's a nice morning out there. Starting to come light as I write!
08:30. Back from our walk. Light breeze from the West bringing in broken cloud. No ground frost and on the whole not a bad morning. Just a touch of mist in the air.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We have mid 30's for all of this week coming. I guess the weather-gods don't know that it is now Autumn for us :confused:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It looks like a re-run of yesterday here. Overcast but not bad for early March. Glass falling slowly and is on 29.5". Sooner or later it's got to rain!

07:15. Back home after our walk, these lighter mornings are great! Bit of a breeze and it's cold but dry and pleasant. We are being so lucky with the weather. In 1947 the snow started in February and on March 5th we had the blizzard of the century, four and five feet falls were common and drifts more than 30ft deep in some places. It started to get milder on March 10th but the effects were with us much longer. Think about that when you look at what we are having.... Wonderfully kind weather for the time of year.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

At last we have sun, it woke me up. However it is freezing outside with a thick frost. No lawn cutting today for a bit. Back to the sewing :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice morning, dry, misty, no wind and perhaps almost a frost but nothing severe. Glass is falling faster now, down at 29.2" and this is no doubt due to the Atlantic lows on the way in as they win the battle over the continental high pressure system. Rain forecast for tomorrow but today could be the warmest of the year in Barlick. No sweat about the rain, we need some. The big danger at this time of the year for us up here is a milder spell getting growth going and then a spell of East winds holding growth back. Little doubt in my mind that we have turned the corner and can look forward to the start of Spring but remember that we are late here, don't put bedding plants in till second week in June! Proper Spring is a long way off!
07:40. Back from a cold misty walk but full of promise. I can picture Wendy later looking out to the west in bright sunshine and seeing a white carpet of fog obscuring the valleys. It's brightening up, the sun is hard at work burning the mist off (hopefully!)..
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It was -2C up here at 7.00am, and a thick mist so everything is coated in white frost.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

That is like we had yesterday. At 3.30pm we were supping beer outside in the sun whilst we gardened. To day looks similar
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

That's the life Sue! A lovely spring day today but rain forecast for the next couple of days.
Say only a little but say it well.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Not as warm today but still ok. Forecast mixed for the rest of the week, but should get our potatoes in.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wendy, the fact you had hoar frost demonstrates what a difference the altitude makes. If I have it right you're on the 990ft contour, 450 ft higher than us down in Barlick. That makes it a top coat colder and we had no frost down here.
Dry, calm and overcast outside thus morning. Glass fallen a bit more to 29.1" and the forecast of rain could well be right. Still good weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It's usually 2 degrees colder up here Stanley. It took a long time for the mist to burn off yesterday but then it was lovely. I heard the first curlew call of the year...what a wonderful sound.
A bitter south easterly wind this morning and thick mist again. No frost, though it is only 1C

Return to “Seasons”