Winter 2012

Sue
VIP Member

Re: Winter 2012

Post by Sue »

Good here again today, buds appearing on the plants. The ladslove is covered in buds and I have seen one asparagus shoot. I have fertilised the asparagus and banked up the plants and also have planted potatoes. Spring is on its way here. Well it is today!
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I see the Daffodils under the wall on the Green are sprouting well, flower buds forming. Milder this morning and it has started a light rain since 04:00. Glass fallen slightly again to 29" but nothing serious. This is quiet weather.
08:00. We've had our walk in the rain and Jack has been rubbed down. Even though it's overcast, we were out at 06:45, the days are certainly lengthening. It's milder but the forecastgers tell us that this is going to change next week. Winter is going to start again! Just when you thought things were improving......
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We are sweltering again :sweatdrop: and have high temps for the next week with mid to high 30C's. Autumn is taking a while...
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

So is our Spring!! Quite breezy but dry.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Missed posting early on. We've had our walk to the butcher's and it's a dull morning, calm but a bit of mizzle. You can't really call it rain but enough to make everything wet. Glass is steady on 29" so no violent changes about and indeed, the forecasters say it could clear up this afternoon. Still good weather for the time of year!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It did clear up yesterday but overcast thickened as evening came on and it seems to have rained during the nigh. Bit of drizzle at the moment and chilly. Glass is steady on 29" with a tendency to rise. No great change in the offing at the moment but this may be the precursor of the colder weather we have been told to expect next week. If it continues to rise, this becomes more likely. Shipping forecast mentioned more gales than of late. One feature of March we used to expect was gales, hence 'comes in like a lion'. This might be part of the change.
07:50 after a walk. Very cold and there's an easterly breeze that's forecast to get worse as the day wears on. After dinner we have an 80% chance of snow and that continues all night getting even colder tomorrow. Winter is evidently not over yet!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Light sleet and snow in Nelson this evening and, getting colder tomorrow with further snow showers and raw east wind.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cold, dry and quite calm outside. No frost yet. The snow hasn't happened but we'll see what the day brings. Glass is rising now and is on 29.2". It's cold enough for snow but doesn't feel as though there is a lot about. Surprising thing is the absence of the forecast wind. Barlick being different again! More gales in shipping forecast this morning.
07:20. We've had our walk. The wind is getting up now. Still bright overcast but dry and face-ache cold! Wendy must wrap up well for her patrol this morning!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The sleet turned to snow at about 4pm yesterday. We have a light covering and it's below freezing this morning. Bitter in the wind, but the sun is trying to get out at the moment. The wind was finding a few gaps in my layers of clothing when I went out earlier..I need to improve on my base layers!
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Get a 'onesie' Wendy!! Lovely and bright, very breezey and very, very cold.
Say only a little but say it well.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Wet but warm here. Bad weather forecast so we are driving up to the ferry tonight rather than get caught in bad weather early in the morning.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No snow at all in Barlick. Bitter in the wind yesterday. Very cold this morning but flags are dry and as yet no frost on the cars. Glass still rising, up at just over 29.4" this morning. Looks like another dose of Siberia coming in from the East abut hopefully a dry wind and if there is any snow it shouldn't be heavy. It's a lot colder than yesterday because despite the stove staying in all night the CH has kicked in at low level. Largely due to the fact that the wind hasn't fallen as much as it did the night before last. Winter is still with us!
Shipping forecast reports many gales and they are increasing in the southerly sea areas as well so perhaps more wind today.
Latest forecast is for 6" of snow in the Channel Islands and snow in the SE. Expect howls of horror later today. In contrast the NW is forecast to be dry and perhaps even sunny with only the occasional flurry of snow.
07:20. We're back from our walk and the bad news for Wendy is that she will need more than one extra layer this morning. It's bitterly cold in that wind, face-ache weather! The odd flake of snow but the cloud is broken and plenty of patches of blue sky.
Ten minutes later and I looked through the window to see snow falling! There is a scattering on the roofs opposite already.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Yep...it was heading for -6c when I ventured forth to let the hens out & give the ponies their breakfast. Brrrrr.
Moh, if I got a "onesie" it would need built in facilities for having a pee!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bears out what I was saying about the effects of that extra 500ft of altitude on you. Colder still today, I reckon about -5C down here so you will be even colder. However, clear sky and we could have a very bright but cold day. Glass is steady on just below 29.5". Unseasonably cold for March but at least it will be dry and less chance of snow flurries.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

-5 !! Oh my goodness. As usual at this time of year we have the opposite. We had to try to sleep in 27C last night, and today we endured 39C. It's been our 11th day in a row with over 30C :sweatdrop: :sweatdrop: Cool change coming around midnight tonight and we should have a much more accomodating 25C tomorrow.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley we were crossing the channel in that weather, believe me it was no joke. It definitely rated as our worse crossing ever!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Commiserations Sue, it sounded nasty! Another cold dry morning with a hard frost. Lovely day yesterday if you were wrapped up! Forecast is for an even harder frost tonight as the wind moves round into the north and brings us air from the Arctic. Glass has fallen to 29.3", looks like another change coming, could be warmer and wetter.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I was thinking about you Sue.
It was a lovely day yesterday, a perfect day for a walk. Went down the clough to Thick Bank then up Cob Lane and back home via the shooting lodge and Piked Edge to Hainslack.
The lambs in the field are still bouncing and racing around despite the awful day on Monday and the curlews are still calling! Another lovely morning today.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Definitely colder this morning. Dry and calm but a hard frost, I'd guess at -6C? Glass has risen slightly to almost 29.5". Could be another bright day. The sun shines through the kitchen window on me when I am sat in my chair reading. Very warm, Jack comes and lies in it as well and being black soon picks up a lot of heat. (Must clean the window.....)
07:22. Not a breath of wind, bright, very cold and a lovely morning for a walk. The forecasters said it was warmer this morning, they lie as far as Barlick is concerned, very hard frost. I'm boiling the kettle for some hot water, I shall clean the windows before the sun gets on them! That'll make it rain......
By the way, I forgot to mention, the wind was easterly yesterday morning until about 11:00 when it started to shift. By noon it was in the North.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Not so cold as expected here last night, and the wind is already coming from the south west. The cloud is beginning to build.
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Last month I bought a Zambretti pocket weather forecaster they have been around for along time. all you require to use one is a Barometer, and to know wether it is rising or falling ,the drection of the wind, and wether it is summer or winter. They recommend taking the readings at 09.00 each day.Over the last 30 days it has been virtualy spot on for predicting the weather over a 12 hour period. The makers say 91%. Today it says Fairly fine showers later. Not bad for a fiver.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

After a lifetime of working in weather dependent jobs I have one in my head that works 24x7. We had the wind shift into the west and at first sleet but later rain. Flags are wet this morning but it's fine at the moment. Much warmer. Glass has dropped to just above 29" and it looks like a warmer but showery day. About right for the season.....
Later, at 09:00. We had our walk in cold rain and a rising wind. It seems to have settled down now into that mode. Bright but steady light rain and a SW breeze.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Wet, cool. Sun just breaking through at 5.00 p.m
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Light rain this morning. Glass is down to 28.7", we are still under the low pressure system. Expect less wind today and then it will start to swing to the NW as we come out of the system so cold rain will continue perhaps.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cold and damp, glass still falling and nearly down to 28.5". We aren't out of the low yet!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”