Spring 2013

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Spring 2013

Post by Stanley »

But even so, cold for the time of year. Big high in the Atlantic is our problem, it's giving us settled weather and light winds but because they're clockwise we are getting northerly winds and so will get weather from Greenland for the next few days. Cooler. Glass is up at 29.4".
There is a low building to the SW and it will mean that later in the seek the SE will be warmer than us up here but getting more rain. The Met Office five day forecast has no good news for us as far ahead as next Friday, dry on the whole but cooled by the wind coming down from the Arctic. No sign of warm summer weather yet!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Light rain under an overcast sky this morning but not cold as yet. However we are sandwiched between a high in the west and a low in the east and the cold air from the Arctic will start to funnel down towards the south today. Glass has risen to 29.5" so it looks as though the high has the most influence. Don't look for it to get warmer yet!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm listening to the news coming in from Oklahoma. (LINK) We are so lucky in this country that we don't have to worry about events like this. This was a big one and my mind boggles at the forces involved. I once sat under a Super Cell in Minnesota that was 85 miles across and over 10,000 ft high when I was alone in Martha's house, house sitting. It touched down about four miles away but was only a small one, even so it destroyed some barns and picked a large combine harvester up before dropping it a quarter of a mile away, completely wrecked. They don't know the total death toll yet but it's 93 and rising, reckoned to be the most powerful in modern times.
I say we don't get them in the UK but in terms of numbers of possible events I'm told we are tornado capital of the world but because we aren't a continental system they never get time to develop. Mind you, a few years ago I was in the car park on Letcliffe and saw an unusual cloud formation, very low and coming in rapidly from the west. Something clicked in my mind and I shouted to a lady with a young child who was walking across the car park to get in her car quickly and pointed at the cloud. Luckily she had enough sense to grab the child and they got in their car just as what they call in Minnesota 'a straight line wind' hit the hedge at the edge of the park ripping loose twigs and debris out of it and roared over us. It finished as quickly as it had started and she asked me what it was. I told her that it was something I'd seen before in Tornado Alley and knew it wasn't good. There was no mention of it in any news so I assume it was very local but it was definitely something very similar to what I'd seen in America. The wind was so strong it rocked the cars and would undoubtedly blown the lady and child off their feet.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Site member Minimiller (Mick ex Earby) is out in Oklahoma, not sure exactly where but I hope he's OK.
Ian
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

During my life time I have personaly witnessed 4 small tornados in this country. Nothing like American ones But touching the ground. For me to see 4 means there are probably many more occuring, hope they always stay small.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ian, he's posted that he is OK. I forgot where he was.
Colder here but dry and a milky overcast. Yesterday warmed up in a sunny afternoon and same will happen today but it will be cooler. No respite in cold Arctic air until at least after the weekend. Glass steady on 29.5". There are even suggestions that later in the week we should not be surprised if snow falls on high ground as far South as the Midlands.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Yes, I have seen Mick's post and replied, we went to school together, he has mentioned where he is in another thread some time ago but I have forgotten the town. His profile just says Oklahoma.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Turned out nice and almost warm yesterday but it was cooled down by the fact that by the afternoon the NW air flow was well established. Glass is steady around 29.5" Expect temperature to start falling today. The five day forecast predicts that on Monday the northerly wind will falter and we will start to get more normal westerly winds and rising temperature. Don't be surprised if in the next couple of days we get reports of unseasonable snow. I've seen heavy falls of snow well into June but it doesn't hang about for long!
08:30. We've had our walk and they weren't kidding about that wind, it's bitter and I can well believe it's cold enough for snow. Wendy will have to wrap up warm today......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Just had a hail storm, it is much colder today.
Say only a little but say it well.
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Want to help with monitoring ash die back?

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/chalara

ht Lancashire Telegraph
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sleet showers yesterday around dinnertime, very cold! Glass has fallen to 29.2" as the low pressure to the west gains control. Dry at the moment but heavy overcast and wind still in the north.
Just popped out with the ashes. Sky has cleared in the last hour.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote:Sleet showers yesterday around dinnertime, very cold! Glass has fallen to 29.2" as the low pressure to the west gains control. Dry at the moment but heavy overcast and wind still in the north.
Just popped out with the ashes. Sky has cleared in the last hour.
WInd is a bit fresh, today. I did read that the Jetstream is going to be sitting over the south of England; an indication of some warmer weather on the way, perhaps?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

The wind is very strong, it is very cold and now it is raining hard. One thing I have noticed this year is that there are more dandelions in the grassy banks & fields than I can ever remember.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Moh, a good observation. It's the same on the green and I think the reason is that they were held back that long by the East wind that they were all ready to bloom as soon as the soil temperature rose.
Kev, if I remember rightly, the Jet stream in the south means that northern weather dominates and so this means cool weather. I'll stand to be corrected but that's what gave us last year's lousy weather.
Clear and cold this morning. The wind is still in the North but will swing round later in the day to the west and stay there or southerly until Wednesday when we get a northerly again. Glass is up this morning at 29.6"
07:30. Nice walk round the town. Light northerly wind, heavy dew, clear sky and full sun. The seedlings in the new plantings on Upper Valley Gardens are fighting their way through despite the cold. If you're considering bedding plants remember that we are always prone to a sharp frost until the second week in June.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

It's a cold wind here too. Sun and very light showers are fine but the wind is very chilling, especially just before it rains. The rain lasts about 5 minutes maximum. Temperatures hovering about 13 centigrade only, but good weather for heavy gardening which I have nearly finished. Bob is busy with cement for a base for a permanent BBQ and pizza oven.
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wall to wall sunshine here in Barlick and there is some power in it. I was passing a wood paling fence this morning in full sun before 07:00 and felt the heat radiating off it on my face. I put my hand on it, the masonry wall was cold but the rough unpainted wood was really warm. (All right, I'm a nosey bugger! It fascinated me that there could be such a difference.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sun again yesterday and by late afternoon the wind was swinging into the west so it should be warmer today. The high is being overcome by a new low developing to the west. Glass is holding at just over 29.5" at the moment but it will fall during the course of the day. As the low passes through the winds will get back into the North again by about Wednesday but not as cold as they will not be coming down via the Arctic.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Cloudy yesterday with bursts of hot sunshine. Woke this morning to blue skies and sunshine. Not as cold in the night as it has been Eileen
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote:Kev, if I remember rightly, the Jet stream in the south means that northern weather dominates and so this means cool weather. I'll stand to be corrected but that's what gave us last year's lousy weather.
'tis indeed but it never got much further north than Paris last year :grin:
Last edited by Big Kev on 28 May 2013, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Here in Oz it is the second night that I have had my heater on for a few hours. We are getting down to 10C overnight. Brrr
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

I thought that too Stanley. Lovely again but clouds are building now, the wind is still quite cool out of the sun. Lovely full moon last night.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

10c Cathy, is a typical cool summers day in Rochdale!!
Last edited by Sue on 26 May 2013, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Wow brilliant day in Brittany, best of the year so far.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was warm enough in Barlick for me to go out without my top coat on at dinnertime. Lots of sun but that wind still cools things down. It's a westerly wind now.... Glass has fallen below 29.2" and it's overcast at the moment. Showers later on? Five day forecast gives a possible 14C high on Fridy.... Flaming June isn't immediately obvious!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was just starting to rain when I got up and Jack and I had our morning walk early. It was dry but overcast and a mild very light westerly wind with the occasional hint of rain on it. Dark clouds building up and while it is still not raining I don't think it will be long before it arrives and because the wind is so light it will hang about. The glass confirms all this and has dropped to 29". Just had a look at the five day forecast and as far ahead as next Saturday it is still cold with a northerly wind. That jet stream has a lot to answer for!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”