Spring 2013

Sue
VIP Member

Re: Spring 2013

Post by Sue »

Our annual June week in the Lakes next week. Perhaps for once it won't rain all week!
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You could be lucky Sue, weather is very settled until Wednesday when the wind might get a bit gusty and bring some showers in but I think that will not really affect the West coast. This morning is another overcast start but the sun is trying to break through already. Glass is steady on 29.7" and it looks like another pleasant day in prospect. Talks to a grass farmer yesterday and he agreed with me about the need for some rain. He said the grass is growing well but needs a shower or two. Butts Back is down to a trickle.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Wish the weather would settle here. Yesterday it rained until about 1pm then the sun came out and the temps went up to the 90's so too hot to sit out. Then at about 6pm thought we would sit out we got high winds and a few drops of rain. The drops were about 1" dia when they hit the deck. This morning again is dull but no rain at present. Eileen
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Ah Eileen perfect growing conditions for my veggies in La Vallee.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Wherever you are Eileen, it sounds almost tropical.

We have had forecasts for rain in the last few days, i emphasise days because it has all come during the night, hehe :)
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sue, long range forecast says chance of n odd shower Wednesday onwards but nothing serious. It was clear as a bell an hour ago when I got up with a heavy dew. In the last hour a thin mist has risen but this will soon burn off. The glass is back slightly at 29.6" but there is no wind and every prospect of another fine day. Shirt sleeves for early morning walk yesterday but a bit cooler this morning. Good weather!
07:00. We've had our walk. The sun is burning the mist off already and it was shirt sleeve order with a Drysa-Bone waistcoat. Lovely fresh morning....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not as bright yesterday and the odd spot of rain in the middle of the day. Glass is back slightly at 29.5" and it looks as though we could perhaps have some welcome rain soon.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Nowt so strange as the weather,presently sat in scorching sun, just north of Kendal, forecast said showers.This morning enjoyed floral displays on Grange promenade in very warm weather,but overcast, then drove to Tarn Hows to take photographs, as we parked up the sun came through, and the clouds disappeared, should be some good images. Some rain should be nice.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

So much for nice weather and I am not well either!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Not warm or sunny in Ambleside today. All a bit gloomy. Nice evening though.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mixed day in Barlick yesterday but no rain. This morning we have high cloud at the moment and glass has fallen back to 29.3" Looks as though the low pressure to the west is winning. Bit of rain later?
07:50. we've had our walk and the cloud is gradually thickening but there is so little wind that any change could take a while.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

We sat out all afternoon as it was warm and sunny but we had plenty of cloud early evening and rain during the night and this morning. Eileen
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Sunshine at day break,then heavy cloud moved in. The lake district disappoints. My fault I rescheduled from the 1st week to the second in June, It even tried to rain as we lunched at Kirkstone Inn, but dried as fast as it fell. Blue skies will have to be added to photos later.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had some gentle drizzle for a couple of hours in the middle of the day. Heavy overcast this morning, only just coming light even though the days are still getting longer. Glass still falling, 29.1" this morning and the forecast promises heavier rain later today and tomorrow as well. Frost reported in Altnahara in Scotland..... That brings back memories... In 1962 I travelled over the road between Lairg and Skaig Bridge. It was a bad single track road in those days that went right across Scotland from coast to coast. I was carrying six large culvert pipes for the Crofter's Scheme and it was possibly the loneliest road I have ever used, not a house in sight until you got to Altnahara and incongruously there was a large hotel in the glen. It was built in 1820 as a shooting lodge and if I remember rightly the land was owned by the Rootes family. The other happening of note was getting out of the cab at two in the morning for a pee and having what I thought was a lion roaring just behind me. I found out later that it was a stag in rut and probably about half a mile away but I'd have taken some convincing at the time! Long lost days......
08:00. Had our walk, bit of damp in the air but not really drizzle. It'll surprise me if we don't have rain shortly.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

It's atypical lakes holiday for us. Rain rain and more rain! It's happened every second week in June for 6 years! Off to Keswick today, we went on the boat at Ulswater yesterday.
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

It stayed dry pm but rained last night and still raining this morning. At the moment it is dry but very overcast so Sue the weather isn't much better here in Brittany.

We also love the lakes and whilst staying a couple of years ago decided to do some walks so copied Wainwrights walks and laminated them got the compass and the whistles and we had rain the whole time we were there. It was bouncing and when we got back to the B & B our trousers were wet up to the knees and that was only high street trips. As we are warm weather walkers we didn't manage to do any, so much for being prepared. Eileen
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It brightened up a bit later in Barlick but then light rain set in and seems to have been with us all night. We've had our walk and there's a bit more water coming over Butts Dam. We kept dry but there's light rain at the moment and the glass is down slightly again at 29". Never mind, it's good for the gardeners and farmers.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Dull cool,rain due all day. Still feeling a bit rough. I thought it was hay fever, but not now, certainly not a cold.
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Dull today with slight breeze but weather forecast says sunshine this afternoon will keep you posted. Eileen
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

It has turned out nice!
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

The sun has returned to the lakes. Today I finished my photography project on the lakes side of Morecambe Bay,last stop Rampside. We returned to kendal in lovely warm sunshine, very light traffic, and an abundance of parking places made driving a pleasure this day.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another overcast morning. Glass has started to rise and is on 29.4" so perhaps a bit of hope in the air? Five day forecast gives rain for every day except Sunday.....
07:40. Ready to go shopping.... it's raining!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Funny thing I noted about the infrequent light rain showers yesterday was that they were mainly just a spattering of big drops of water, not a fine drizzle. Glass is back down to 29" and we have a rainy day forecast. Tomorrow could be a bit better but in general the outlook is showery. Less than a week to the longest day....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Looks like a slightly better day today. Glass is up slightly and still rising at 29.2". However, the foreseeable future is changeable and Wednesday could be wet around dinnertime.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Quite warm here and overcast but it's been like this for the past couple of days then the sun comes out and burns us all half to death before we are then frozen at night. Yesterday it would have been really hot but like Sue in the lakes we had high winds. Eileen

Return to “Seasons”