Summer 2013

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Summer 2013

Post by Stanley »

Clear sky and colder this morning. Dry and breezy. Glass has risen to 29.3". Forecast is for less than 5% chance of rain but it will be cold. Things are looking good for the ceremony.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The weather did us proud yesterday, a bright if cool day for the War Memorial ceremony. Glass is on 29.3" this morning and it's raining at the moment.
08:00. It's stopped raining but it's a damp cool morning. Cloud is breaking so we might get a bit of sun....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cool and damp this morning. Glass has risen to 29.5". Forecast is for a similar day to Sunday but a touch cooler.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry with bright overcast in Barlick this morning. Quiet weather. Glass is steady on 29.5", wind light and forecast is for a quiet day with just a small chance of a shower around dinnertime. This is good weather for the season, coasting quietly along with no surprises. This could change towards the end of the month when we can expect the equinoctial gales which often strike at this time of the year. One bright spot about them if they arrive is that they are often followed by a spell of unusually good weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just poked my head out of the door to see if it's light enough for our walk. Damp in the air and heavy overcast but just about fair at the moment. Glass has fallen to 29.4" and the forecast is for a dull day with the highest chance of rain later this evening. Jack and I will sally forth!
07:00. Quiet walk under dull skies but almost dead calm. Watch the wind! Until that starts to rise we can continue our season of mists and mellow fruitfulness.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear, dry and calm this morning but I note that there are gales coming in from the Atlantic. Glass is steady on 29.4" but it wouldn't surprise me if this started to fall. I've just looked at the 5 day forecast and tomorrow is similar to today but the wind is in the north and it will feel colder. On Sunday the gales reach us and we shall have gusty winds and rain well into next week.
09:00. We've had our walk down to the butcher's shop and I was struck by the increase in leaves falling from the trees. Something to do with stress in the hot weather perhaps. Be that as it may the trees and bushes have lost that luxuriant look they have in summer when they are thriving. Another reminder that the year is moving on.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We had a lot of rain mid-week, and are expecting a big soaking on Sunday and Monday coming from our east coast, so it's wet, wet, wet for us.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Light overcast but dry and calm this morning. Glass has fallen to 29.3". We can expect a reasonably fine day but the wind is going to get up during the night as the Atlantic lows take control. Could be a wet and windy day tomorrow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lear sky, dry and cool with a slight breeze at 04:00 but it's clouded over now. Glass is falling seriously now, down at just over 29", biggest move for a while. Forecast is for wind to rise and rain to arrive around 10:00 and tomorrow looks lousy as well. Message for Wendy is get the outside jobs done early!
08:00. We've had our walk round the town and it is a topcoat colder than yesterday because the breeze is getting up already. Solid cloud coming in and I see no reason to doubt the accuracy of the forecast. I've lit the stove.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Well, it wasn't exactly a storm, just a blustery wind with occasional light rain showers. The glass is still down at the lowest it's been for a while, 28.7", so no great improvement today. The forecast is for a similar day today with an 80% chance of showers all day with a blustery wind and single figure temperatures. The wind chill will take it down to about 5C. Stove still in so I've chucked a shovel full of coal on....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

LizG

Post by LizG »

Back to cold and wet here again.
Liz
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A wet and windy day yesterday. Glass started to rise in the early evening but no big change and is on 28'7" this morning. Dry outside at the moment. Forecast for today is a slight improvement but not much.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote:... and single figure temperatures. The wind chill will take it down to about 5C. Stove still in so I've chucked a shovel full of coal on....
Is it really that cold already? I read in the Daily Mail (so it must be true) that there was snow in Scotland overnight.

I'm happy I moved to warmer climes. I bet Liz is glad also. Hasn't Melbourne just been voted the best place to live in the World?

Just to rub it in: 34C/93f today falling to 24C tonight. I will mosey down for a cold beer later, 50 pence for a 500 mls tankard of lager type beer. :mexwave:
LizG

Post by LizG »

How right you are chinatyke. When I say cold I mean about 17C; still don't need the heating on during the day the house stays warm.

Yes, most liveable city 3 years in a row I believe. It's amazing what we take for granted.
Liz
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Now then! Don't write Barlick off! Personally I love the constant change in the seasons, makes you appreciate good weather when you get it and nothin g beats a clear crisp frosty day in winter. Jack and I have had our walk and it looked as though we were going to get caught in a loose shower, rainbow over the Weets. However it veered off towards Salterforth and no doubt gave Wendy a sprinkle!
China, frost in the glens and snow on the high ground are common in Scotland at this time of the year.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

It will be Autumn in five days although the met office use 1st September rather than the timings of the grand tour of the planet. Equinox approaches. It will be welcomed in the normal way and on the correct day on this site.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think in my head Autumn starts with the first frost.
Dry and a light breeze with broken cloud first thing this morning. Glass is struggling back up and is almost at 28.8". Forecast is for a reasonable day with light winds and the chance of an odd shower around dinnertime. Tomorrow looks a bit more wet but not much. Quiet weather at the moment. Thursday is cool and bright and the weekend looks OK, could warm up a bit.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

PanBiker wrote:It will be Autumn in five days although the met office use 1st September rather than the timings of the grand tour of the planet. Equinox approaches. It will be welcomed in the normal way and on the correct day on this site.
I'd say the seasons work better from the begining of the month rather than the equinoxes and solstaces. I know the weather lags the sun but the 21st September is halfway to the shortest day. September - November inclusive for Autumn, December to February Inclusive for Winter, March to May Inclusive for Spring and June - August for Summer. Its way too cold now to be classified as summer. But its better now than the old scheme when summer lasted from about May to mid November, Autumn lasted to about Mid February and Then spring came in. Winter got lost somewhere.... :)
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It's going to be nice & warm again by the weekend :smile:
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

chinatyke wrote:I will mosey down for a cold beer later, 50 pence for a 500 mls tankard of lager type beer. :mexwave:
Are the bouncing icons an indication of the effect of drinking Chinese beer? :laugh5:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cool and clear this morning with a brilliant full moon. Glass still rising slowly, just over 29" at the moment. Slow movement like this usually means docile weather systems so Wendy is right, could be a fine spell over the next few days.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Almost as clear this morning at 04:30 as yesterday. Dry and a touch cooler I think. Glass is up to 29.2" and the forecast is for a brighter day and perhaps warmer as the sun gets through with light winds. Not bad for the time of year!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry, overcast, calm and about 10C so it's a bit warmer. Glass still rising slowly, it's on 29.4" at the moment. Forecast is for a cloudy day with a chance of a shower around dinnertime, could get to 13C. More quiet weather and that's good at this time of year.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Bright and sunny days are here again, hope it lasts. So nice to hang out the washing, get a bit of gardening done, sit out and read etc.
23C for Sunday :grin:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The autumn equinox occurs tomorrow so it's bye bye summer 2013.....

Return to “Seasons”