Autumn 2013

Marilyn
VIP Member

Re: Autumn 2013

Post by Marilyn »

Trains are breaking down in Adelaide and I heard Melbourne had the same problems this morning.
Son is stuck on the track....and everyone is giving him the evil eye...because he is the driver! ( I think he is stuck because another train has broken down, so he can't do much about it but the public can be so unforgiving).
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Welded rails to give smoother ride have this problem Maz. The old 40ft rail lengths had an expansion joint which coped much better but gave the clickety-clack ride we all knew so well.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We have concrete bearers here, which stop the buckling and popping problems, but we also have a couple of really old trains that should have retired years ago still in service, and they tend to play up in the heat.
Haven't had an update from him, but he was due home an hour ago.
Hope the air-conditioning is working on the train and there are no pregnant women, disabled persons, babies or old folk sat in the 44 degree heat.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Should be a bit cooler (???) for us in Adelaide on Friday with 35C :sweatdrop: Our forecast for Christmas Day is 30C, and we are told to expect another heat-wave in the first week of January.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wet and cold outside, no heat stroke in Barlick today. Glass has risen to 29" and the forecast is for icy roads due to wind chill giving -1C, bit brighter during the morning then heavy cold rain for the rest of the day. Deep Joy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

A coolish change (still very warm) has arrived for us this afternoon, unfortunately via very strong winds that have caused a lot of power lines to fall (older suburbs) and trees down all over Adelaide, can't win. Anyway from 40C today we should have 30C tomorrow. Should sleep better tonight.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Jack and I hit a dry spell. All the Xmas shopping done after an emergency purchase of a bottle of vinegar and some milk.... Oh, and I want another bottle of Cod Liver Oil. I'll get that now from my young ladies in the town.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Shortest day today but the old saying is 'As the days get longer, the cold gets stronger' Deep Joy!
Glass is down slightly at 28.9", blustery SW wind and while it is not freezing it feels cold. Reasonable day till dinnertime and then it starts to get colder. Chance of a snow shower late evening perhaps. It gets colder over the next four days according to the forecast and there is half a chance we might have a snow shower for Xmas Day.
05:30. Shipping forecast for the North of Scotland is dire, gales and snow. There is a chance this weather may start to move south in the next few days. Watch this space!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”