Autumn 2013

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Autumn 2013

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was bright but a cold wind. Glass is back slightly at 29.6" and forecast is for a similar day today. The trend for the beginning of next week is for the wind to swing into the NW and temperatures will fall. By Wednesday, any rain could fall as snow. Overall a colder spell coming in.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We are being lulled into Summer. 24C yesterday and today - picture perfect. 27C for Sunday
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bob in Perth told me they had 37C yesterday Cathy. I told him that would be a serious shock for us! Yesterday was cold in the breeze, probably about 1C with the wind chill. Glass is slightly down this morning, hovering between 29.5" and 29.6". It's dry and relatively mild at the moment. Forecast is for a good chance of showers and reasonably mild but tomorrow we go into the freezer!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mild, calm, heavy overcast and a light drizzle at the moment. Glass has fallen back to 29" which is not a good sign. It's mild at the moment, around 7C and the forecast is for a chance of rain this morning but it's later in the afternoon when things start to change. The wind is going to swing into the NW and the temperature will drop rapidly. We could be in the freezer tomorrow morning!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 04:00 this morning it was overcast, very cold and the occasional spatter of light rain. At the moment it's clear and the temperature is falling, by the time we go for a walk I expect it will be a proper frost. Glass is steady on 29" and the forecast is for frost all day with a light wind from the NW and later, the West. Bracing weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

And at opposite poles to ours...blue skies and sunshine and "rather warm" in the car today. I am too mean to put the car air-conditioning on unless I am melting into a puddle, but it came close today.
Cooler tomorrow...possibly even a sprinkle of rain overnight..
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Rather warm equates to 30C. It was supposed to be 26C. I got to about 5pm today and was humming and harring about putting the air-con on so that I could cook tea without getting too het-up, and suddenly a cool wind started to blow thru the home. Good timing. It is now 8.15pm and still very windy, I think it will be a noisy night tonight.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The great advantage in Perth is the Fremantle Doctor, that on-shore wind that comes to the rescue after a hot day.
At 04:00 this morning it was windy, raining hard and very cold. It wouldn't surprise me if it was falling as snow on Wendy. Just taken the ashes out and stoked the stove, still windy, wet and cold rain falling, lousy morning. Glass down at 28.7" and forecast is that rain might stop before 07:00 for our walk but the NW wind is going to make it feel below freezing all day. Proper November weather, the warmer than average Autumn is over I fear.....
Later at 08:15. It was raining when I popped my head out so full wet weather gear but by the time I was rugged up it had stopped raining and the wind had dropped. It was westerly but I think it will soon get up again out of the NW and that's when the temperature will drop. Stoke the stove up Wendy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Woke up to a strong westerly wind and driving rain, but it died away by 7.30. The temperature has dropped 2 degrees since then and the wind is picking back up from the north. There must have been a bit of snow as there is a small pile along the edge of the polytunnel.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I thought it might be white with you Wendy. It was a bright dry day on the whole yesterday but a bitter NW wind. A proper 'lazy wind', it would rather go through you than round! Flags are dry this morning but it's cold and breezy. Glass is up a touch at almost 29". Forecast is for a similar day to yesterday, mostly dry and bright but a cold wind giving a strong wind chill. It will be mostly from the NE today but starting to swing into the North later this evening.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very similar to yesterday but less wind. Glass is on 29.3" as we have a high over us but it is accompanied by cloud so that's keeping hard frost off. Having said that, we have a slight frost at the moment. Forecast is for a cloudy, cold day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Calm, dry and very cold in Barlick this morning. Glass is rising and is on 29.5", looks like a settled s[pell of cold dry weather. Forecast for today and the next few days 'til Tuesday bears this out and nothing changes much until the wind comes out of the North as the high pressure slowly moves away.
We've had a brisk walk i9n a bracing dry frost. I'm sure it has done us both good! One thing that struck me, all my life when I have walked into a warm room from the frost my glasses have steamed up and blinded me. I have realised that eyes don't steam up!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry and cold with a light NW wind. Not freezing when I got up but I think it's colder now, just a slight frost. Glass is up slightly at 29.6" and forecast is for another dry, bright day but feeling chilly out there. Good weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Repeat of yesterday apart from the fact that the glass has almost reached 30", the highest we've seen it for a while. Settled weather.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Colder this morning, we have a sharp frost. Glass rose a bit yesterday but hasn't hit 30" yet. Forecast is misty but dry and cold. The light westerly wind will gradually raise the temperature a bit towards the end of the day. Settled weather for November!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

One of those unusual days when it's warmer up here than down there. No frost this morning.
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Positively balmy this morning though overcast, I could have foretold the lack of ice after paying 30p for a scraper yesterday.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cold morning but no frost. Light overcast and the flags are damp, not really rain but definitely something falling out of the sky. Glass has fallen back to almost 29.7". Forecast is for a boring overcast day with a slight westerly breeze and a 'high' of about 6C. Still quiet weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Does that blooming barometer ever get off 29 ( it is always 29 point something)!
I can't see what the point of daily checking is, if you are only confirming minuscule variations. It doesn't seem to read any different in Summer than it does in Winter!

Hot here. Very hot!
Hottest November night in a decade last night.
I was up early and watered pot plants and lawn...then hid inside with the cooler on and blinds drawn by 11am.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

It's which way its going Maz when you give it the daily tap. It may be minor variations but still a good indicator coupled with a bit of local nous.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Fair enough. But it is always 29 point something!

Give us a juicy 27 or 30. :laugh5:
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Oh dear, Marilyn must be feeling the heat (going troppo hehe) Personally I just listen to the weather forecast :wink:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Don't worry about me Cazza. As you know, I don't do well in the heat, but I slept ok with the ceiling fan on last night. Hopefully the same tonight.
Just sat here waiting for the Gully breeze and then we will open the lounge room doors and watch the drapes hit the ceiling. Heat stress should abate then.
( they can't grasp us not needing any bedding at all for five months of the year...)
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

My daily tap is an antique pocket barometer which on a daily basis operates between 27 and 31. this instrument has a second use in that with a simple calculation it can give you your height above sea level, and is easily set to read pressure at any height. From my sailing days I have a marine navigation wrist watch, one of its functions is to give an instant barometric reading, and to show a graph of pressure over the past 24 hours. The watch could save my life, the pocket barometer gives only an inner satisfaction, and tells me when the fish are likely to be biting.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Maz, as Ian says, it's the movement of the needle on the barometer that gives a clue. After a lifetime of working outside I have built up a useful weather detector in the back of my head. This morning it's quite calm. overcast and no frost but slightly misty. Glass has risen slightly to 29.8" (which is a good sign and at this time of the year points do dry and colder weather if the trend stays the same). The forecast is for a very stable, misty day with a gentle breeze from the west. No change in sight.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”