Autumn 2013

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Autumn 2013

Post by Wendyf »

Beautiful autumn morning, only 2.5C down by the river in Carleton and 7C up here, very unusual!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There was a slight frost yesterday Wendy and the cold air flowed downhill. There is some good research on the siting of ancient farm sites which shows that the favoured spots were half way down a south facing slope for exactly that reason. Notice that yesterday the cold mist was in the bottoms like Barlick while you were basking in sunshine.
This morning we have light cold rain here in Barlick. The glass has fallen to 29.5" but we are still under the HP system which is depressing wind speeds. On the North edge of the system it is an entirely different picture, Northern Scotland has high winds from the west and north west which are bringing in rain and snow. Forecast for Barlick is for the rain to peter out around mid morning and the westerly wind to gradually get stronger.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

30mph westerly winds at the moment bringing lashing rain up the clough. Just chose the wrong moment to take the ponies down the track to their field, not our usual calm progression...they were prancing about trying to shelter behind me and I felt the need to sing loudly over the wind. A good job there is no one around. :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a bit wild and wet down here Wendy as I went down to the butcher's. How nice to feel raindrops hitting your eyes and moisturising them and also I no longer have the problem of not being able to see clearly because of rain on my glasses, my eyes have very efficient wipers! Dry now.... but wind is getting up if anything.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PostmanPete
Regular User

Post by PostmanPete »

Wendyf wrote:I felt the need to sing loudly over the wind.
I hope it was a Bellowhead song Wendy.....? :grin:
"Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Roll the Woodpile Down....its on a constant loop in my head!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

First tune that always comes into my head when I step out of the door for a walk is a hymn, 'Oh God our help in ages past'. Those pesky choirmasters must have done a good job of brainwashing me.
Clear sky, wind has dropped and it feels like a frost to me. No ice on the gate but I'll bet the grass will be white in a couple of hours. Glass has risen slightly to 29.5" as the high pressure system continues to dominate the weather. Forecast is for a bright cold day with a breeze from the WNW. No change in sight until Tuesday when we start to lose the high and the wind swings to the SW and could bring a shower or two in. Not a bad prospect for the last day of November and the beginning of December. That's right, only three weeks to Xmas! Looking forward to the shortest day on December 21 when we can start to see them lengthening again. No wonder the Pagans had a big celebration!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice bright day yesterday. This morning is cold and misty but only a slight grass frost. Glass is up slightly overnight to 29.6". Forecast is for a dry but overcast and at times misty day. Wendy will see a sea of fog in the valley....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a dull overcast day and today looks about the same but perhaps not quite as cold. Glass is up slightly at just over 29.7" so the high pressure is still dominating. However, what wind there is is swinging about and it's going to be a quiet overcast day. Tomorrow things start to change and we might have a shower. Stll moderate weather, it could be a lot worse at this time of the year. Did we have snow at this time last winter?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Rerun yesterday, overcast but dry and not too cold. Glass Down slightly at 29.6" but a similar day in prospect with perhaps a slightly higher chance of a shower mid morning. A reminder this morning of what we could be having at this time of the year. Thursday and Friday in the Northern half of Scotland are going to bad, high winds and lots of reain/snow. We are being very lucky with the weather up to now. Most we can expect is some rain on Friday.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Today was meant to be 30C., but conditions gave us an overcast sky, rain and thunder. Very nice. One clap of thunder was so loud and close that it made me jump big-time. Some areas lost electricity and one man was actually struck by lighting . Couldn't hang out the washing but it has been quite humid and my light load has dried inside. Still having light rain.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Margaret says they have been having some rain in Perth. Yesterday was another overcast but mild day. There has been a light shower in the last hour or so. Glass is falling very slowly, down at 29" this morning. Dire warnings about the onset of severe winter weather in the North of Scotland and of course the usual suspects are making 'news' about it and applying it to the South. Forecast is for a brighetr day, dry and occasional spells of clear sky and sun. Very good weather for the time of year. Last year at this time we had snow....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

LizG

Post by LizG »

36 on Monday, 30 on Tuesday, thunder and lightening with 25ml rain and 16 yesterday, 15 and showers today. You've got to love Melbourne weather.
Liz
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wet, windy and very cold this morning. Big change from yesterday which was a bright day eventually apart from one surprise cold shower when Jack and I went out for our second walk. Glass is down below 29.3". Forecast is for a wet day with strong westerly winds until later this evening. Wind chill is -1C. Winter weather!
Shipping forecast gives the game away, a very intense low is tracking fast across from Greenland to Scandinavia. Gale warnings in all areas bar Biscay. In the northern seas they are force 11 and in some cases rising to 12. Be glad you are not a fisherman up near the Faroes!
Later reports are of trains cancelled in North of Scotland because of expected blizzard conditions and warnings of coastal flooding due to a storm surge in the North Sea.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

They weren't exaggerating about the wind! Just been outside as I attended to the stove and the wind has risen appreciably in the last couple of hours and has rain on it. A thoroughly nasty morning and today will be a fireside day. Nice to know the roof repairs have been done while the weather was OK! (And yes, they put anti freeze in the compo mix!). The compo will have taken its initial set so no chance of it being washed out by the rain.
Wind speeds of over 90mph already being reported from the North of Scotland. Luckily the low pressure system that is causing this is moving very fast and so the agony won't be too prolonged!
Correction to the above, wind speeds of over 103mph now being reported and serious concerns about the storm surge in both the North and Irish seas. It's a rough day! Full wet weather gear for our walk. Jack will just rely on his coat, he is a tough little bugger and even in weather like this he keeps warm as long as he's moving.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

While you were sleeping....lots of pics and updates on the BBC news re weather events over yonder.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Yes, reports that your east coast is experiencing it's worst storm in 60yrs. They have erected a barrier across the Thames to stop London from being flooded.
I know you are west but hope all is OK.

We have 22C with some showers, a nice bright day.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We're OK Maz and Cathy. Wind peaked at about 11:00 with gudts of probably 50/60MPH in the town and heavy rain. Just when Jack and I were having second walk! By 15:00 it was relatively calm and dry with sky clearing and sun poking through. This morning it's cold and at the moment no frost but in a couple of hours there will be a good snap! Glass dropped to below 29" yesterday but is now at almost 29.5" as the low goes East towards Norway. The winds are anti clockwise of course and so we will get a strong Northerly flow today bringing bitter weather and possibly a shower or two of snow later. Wind chill today will get down to -4C. A touch of winter!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

Hoylake took a bit of a battering yesterday with this here storm that came our way. For those interested, more here:

http://www.hoylakejunction.com/high-tide-hits-hoylake

The damage to the front and sea wall in parts is bad, but the road itself too is pretty bashed up. Enormous amounts of debris.

But the pirate ship stood firm. This sits on a point by the lifeboat station, and was built this summer from driftwood by a local artist. It's a really good, quirky feature and the kids love it.

Sadly, it's sister ship at New Brighton was washed away - the tidal surge there flooded the shopping centre and tipped over wagons. I don't think though there's the same structual damage there.

Richard Broughton
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The wind seemed to build up here after midday, we measured gusts of over 60 mph before it all calmed down again. There was a lot of rainwater dumped on us.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was thinking about you Wendy.... Totally different day today, broken cloud and a brisk NW wind but dry and very cold. Good day for walking as long as you are well wrapped up. The Crombie came out yesterday and again this morning. Lots to be said for an old fashioned tweed overcoat. They don't make them today in this heavy tweed, a modern replacement in a lighter cloth would cost you £1,000. Best dressed dog-walker in Barlick!
In a similar vein, I wore a thornproof twill jacket to the hospital last Tuesday and Susan commented on it, she said Mick had bought a similar coat recently and it cost him £314. I told her mine cost £14 from Eric Spencer at Ikley... You can't beat buying clothing that will last if you can afford it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It started raining late evening and it's still wet outside now, cold stuff but not falling as snow! Glass is tending to fall but not much, 29.4" this morning and quite steady. Forecast is for a wet cold day with an appreciable westerly wind. It will feel like 3C, tomorrow looks the same. November weather but a bit late!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Our temps here in Adelaide are on the up, 29C today and 32C for Sunday. They keep talking about showers but I think they are a bit confused, i reckon the meteorologists have their eye off the ball while watching too much cricket :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I got it wrong didn't I... I told Laura you and Maz were in Melbourne. Ah well....
It was a cold day yesterday because of the brisk breeze but the showers mainly held off until evening. Glass still tending to fall, it's just below 29.3" this morning. Today will be a similar day but no severe weather. It's noticeable that the breeze is warmer this morning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a re-run of the day before. This morning it's still mild, breezy and damp, not actually raining at the moment. Glass isn't doing a lot, rising if anything and on 29.4" at the moment. The forecast is for a cloudy but mild day and the Westerly wind will gradually diminish. Quiet weather and it could be a lot worse. The 'long range forecasters' are at it again and telling us that Xmas will be mild but stormy. We'll see....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”