Winter 2013

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Winter 2013

Post by PanBiker »

Well its here, the Winter Solstice starts today. Post your observations.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Winter 2013

Post by Big Kev »

It looks very grim out of the window :laugh5:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

This morning we are fluctuating between VERY strong winds and hail, and, complete calm with bright sunny periods.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Supposed to be a very wet & windy Christmas (don't think they mean wine & sprouts!!)
Say only a little but say it well.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Is this the right place to send Christmas greetings to all users of the site? Doesn't seem worth starting a new topic just for a few days.

So - best wishes and seasonal greetings to all members, and those who just pop in for a while from Tripps.

I won a raffle prize yesterday at the care home. I thought it was a womble at first, but then was shown what to do with it, and it became the star of the afternoon. Take a look yourself Xmas Tree
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

What will they think of next.....
Dry day here yesterday till after dinner and then rain came in on the wind. Dry and breezy out there at the moment and very breezy. Glass is down at 28.7" and forecast is for a wet cold day, cold enough for snow late in the afternoon. It felt like snow yesterday but even more so this morning. My old war wounds are aching.....
Later at 06:00. The forecast was spot on, we have cold rain on a strong breeze. Jack will get an early bath!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Bright sunny day here, very little cloud and not too cold.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Cloudless sky all day long today but a cool 16C/60f and only 7C/45f tonight with the same forecast for tomorrow and continuing over Christmas. We don't get frost in Nanning, ever, hurray, but the electric blanket is on the bed already, nowt like being comfortable.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It turned wet and nasty later in the day but then cleared and we have a frost this morning, the wind hasn't got up yet but it's in the forecast. Glass is steady on 28.7" but is forecast to fall rapidly. The forecast is lousy for today and tomorrow, gusty winds, rain form about 09:00 this morning and there's a good chance some of it could fall as snow. Winter weather!
05:30. Just been out with the ashes and to bring the day's coal in. Good timing, it's just starting to rain. The shipping forecast for Northern waters is horrible, gales up to hurricane force. It looks as though we are going to be spared the worst of the weather, The SE and S Wales are under amber warning of flooding but the rain may turn to snow here in Barlick.
08.45. We have had what was technically a dry walk but spatters of snow and very cold. The wind is rising and the glass has fallen to 28.5", dropping like a stone! This is not a good sign....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very bad day yesterday even though Barlick didn't get the worst of it. We managed two dry walks but the latter part of the day was windy and wet. The glass has fallen as low as I have ever seen it, it reads just over 27.6". No domestic aneroid barometer is dead accurate and I suspect mine exaggerates the readings at each end of the scale but even so, this is a very low pressure and has just started to rise. Another peculiar thing is that when I got up the temperature was 8C and has been falling ever since. The wind is rising as well and the wind chill factor takes us below freezing point and will fall all day getting down to -4C this evening with even more rain and possibly some snow. Christmas Day will be quieter weather but we might wake up tomorrow morning to find we have a white Christmas. Great for the kids but no good for us crumblies. All in all it's extreme weather in all respects and we aren't going to be as lucky as we were yesterday! Just popped me head out and it is colder and it has stopped raining....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Listening to the radio I am struck by the fact that on R4 Today they report that the worst of the storms is over. Really? Tell this to the people who are going to experience worse weather today than yesterday. I'll bet it raised a hollow laugh in the North of Scotland where hurricane force winds, rain and snow are battering them as the announcers in Broadcasting House send out for their coffee. They should realise that they are a national broadcasting service!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Gales have restricted trains to 50 mph. Not a good omen for HS2. Makes you wonder what the limiting wind speed will be when are aiming at 170 mph? Oh I forgot its about capacity not speed.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wet cold morning but wind much reduced. Can't understand why so many people are without power in the SE. Think of all those freezers packed with grub, electric cookers not working and cold CH radiators. Merry Xmas folks! Glass still remarkably low at 27.9" (943mb). Forecast is better, light breeze, dry and temperature around freezing or lower if you add the wind chill. Tomorrow will be similar but colder.
Just listened to the Shipping Forecast, gales in all areas and there is another severe low coming in from the North Atlantic which will affect us later in the week. Give a thought for the mariners out there today in terrible conditions.
Later. Over 75000 homes are still without electricity.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Average day yesterday but cold in the wind. It cleared up in the evening and this morning we have a clear sky and a frost, very little wind.
The glass has recovered a bit and is up to 28.4" but this could be a false dawn as another severe North Atlantic low is racing in and from late tonight we can expect more wind and rain. Forecast for today in Barlick is for overcast, very little chance of rain and variable light winds mostly S or SW, it will not get much above freezing. Tomorrow is different, the wind returns, wall to wall heavy rain and bitterly cold. It will be full wet weather gear tomorrow for shopping! Expect more disruption of leccy supplies and travel..... Deep Joy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a quiet day, the biggest noise actually was the forecasters predicting severe gales and heavy rain for us during the night but it hasn't happened. From the sound of the shipping forecast it's still on its way. Glass has dropped again like a stone to 27.7" and the forecast says we'll have damaging winds but they seem to be coming in later than expected. Temp is up at about 7C later but with the wind chill even this is down at 1C. Could be a good day for being indoors!
09:15. We managed our walk down to the butcher's and back without getting caught in any rain. Wind is definitely getting up now and is very gusty. Because it's from the West we are sheltered to a large extent by the bulk if the Weets. Glass is still falling, it's down at 27.6" now. The lowest reading I've ever seen. It looks as though the low was slower coming in than they predicted yesterday. Wind is supposed to peak in the afternoon. I think Wendy may be getting the full force of it. I hope her poly-tunnel survives!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The wind in Barlick was a non-event. Far worse a couple of weeks ago, on the whole a bright blustery day. The glass started to rise mid-morning yesterday and is up at 28.2" this morning. Low but a definite improvement. Forecast is for a wet day with less wind but much colder, wind chill will take us below freezing all day. Good day for being inside, dry and warm!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The early showers yesterday fell as snow/ice and it was nasty. Sky cleared as the day went on but it was bitter cold in the wind. Glass has risen to almost 29" but will fall again as another low races in. At the moment we have a light breeze and cold rain with a wind chill that takes us down to freezing or a bit below, it may brighten a bit during the day but overall we can expect more showers later, rising wind and nasty weather. Not a good day for being outside! Full foul weather gear for our walk this morning!
09:00. We had our walk and surprisingly it was dry and not too breezy. A bit of a let-off I reckon! On with the day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mild but blustery morning from the west, it was raining earlier but has stopped now. Shipping forecast is gales in all areas and we are under yet another Atlantic low racing through eastwards. Glass has fallen to below 28.5" after rising later yesterday. Forecast is for frequent showers till about 15:00 but quite mild until the wind starts to rise after noon and gets quite severe. Wind chill will take us down to near freezing. So, yet another showery blustery day. Long range forecast is for more of the same. We seem to be trapped in this pattern but look on the bright side, no signs of any severe cold weather or snow. Downside is for anyone who is flooded because the rain shows no sign of slacking. Lots to be said for living on the watershed, Butts beck goes up and down like a yo-yo but the water clears away quickly and no problems apart from sodden ground.
09:00. Came light just after 08:00. We've had our wet blustery walk and got back in the warm. Not really a bad day but a pain for such as Mark the road-sweeper who has to be out in it all day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Colder, calmer and dry this morning. Glass just short of 28.7" so still low but an improvement on what we have had recently. However, don't cheer too soon, another low is racing in. Forecast for Barlick is for lighter winds and a spell of rain mid morning. If anything wind will strengthen during the day and another blustery wet day tomorrow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Getting a bit fed up with the wind & rain!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Here in Adelaide it will be 28C overnight and 34C for New Years Day maybe with 'a' shower.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's a different world Cathy! Here in Barlick it is clear with a slight breeze and dry but no frost. Glass is just below 28.5" and falling slowly. Wind is forecast to rise and almost certainly heavy rain after noon. Wind chill takes is down to around freezing.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

LizG

Post by LizG »

Freezing here in Melbourne. It's 12C at the moment; what happened to summer?
Liz
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Looks like our heatwave is breaking, yaye, we are forecast 23C for Thursday. Gosh, we won't know ourselves, mmmm wonder if it means I can sleep under just a sheet tonight?? It's only happening because of a tropical cyclone in WA, the very strong winds are coming our way (SA), doesn't bode well for bushfires, but we also have rain coming from the south. Adelaide appears to be 'in the middle' of all this, could be an interesting night. :confused:
Last edited by Cathy on 01 Jan 2014, 08:41, edited 1 time in total.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It cleared up nicely yesterday afternoon, tempting us out for a brisk walk down to Kelbrook & back. It was hard work walking back up hill with the ground being so soggy. Noticed that It did't get dark till about 4.30pm....on Monday it seemed dark by 3.30pm!

Return to “Seasons”