Winter 2013

Cathy
VIP Member

Re: Winter 2013

Post by Cathy »

Just found out we have 41C tomorrow and another heatwave is on it's way :sad: Look out Liz
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Liz and Cathy--- can we swop you 24hrs of yours for ours, even 12hrs would do, or even just the afternoon. :laugh5:
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

We had a couple of thunder claps & lightning last night about 8pm, there was also a covering of slushy snow but it soon disappeared. It is cold and bright at the moment.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cold and trying to rain at the moment. Glass is still falling, down at 27.9" almost. Forecast is lousy again and looks about the same as yesterday.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
LizG

Post by LizG »

Cathy wrote:Just found out we have 41C tomorrow and another heatwave is on it's way :sad: Look out Liz
Got it!! Only supposed to get to 39 today but at 4.30 it's almost 43 here. Roll on the cool change.
Liz
LizG

Post by LizG »

Gloria wrote:Liz and Cathy--- can we swop you 24hrs of yours for ours, even 12hrs would do, or even just the afternoon. :laugh5:
It would be a pleasure. I was in the UK in July and I brought you some good weather then. Our tour guide nearly melted when it got to 30!!
Liz
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've had our walk in the dark and the cold rain.... Only good thing is that the wind has dropped. Still dark outside and doubtful whether we will see any proper daylight until later today.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Marilyn tells me that it will be 45C on Saturday here, Oh and 46C on both Sunday and Monday.
I don't believe her on the grounds that if I don't believe it, it won't happen!! :sad:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We'd be happy with 5C! Cold, dark and damp out there this morning with an east wind. The glass has started to rise as the low sinks south and is replaced by cold high pressure coming in from the East, its almost up to 28.5" this morning. The forecast is for a wet cold day and getting colder.... I can't understand why we haven't had any snow, perhaps that's waiting in the wings for us today!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Drier and much colder this morning, in the last couple of hours I think it's developed into a frost. Glass is still rising, it's on 28.8" at the moment. Forecast is for a cold and dry day, a constant East wind will take the wind chill down to -5C but I have to say it feels like that already! scarf on this morning! Noticeable that the days are lengthening. We were out for our walk at 07:30 yesterday and will be even earlier this morning. So encouraging... there is hope for us yet!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good bright day yesterday. A slight shower overnight but fair at the moment, it feels slightly milder. Glass is falling again, down to 28.6" as a new low sweeps in from the west. Forecast is for rain after dinner as the wind swings into the south and strengthens. Wind chill will fall as low as -5C because of this wind so it is going to be a cold wet day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

It's so hot here even the flies are hanging around the birds water bowl haha. 40C
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've had our walk down to the butcher's and it's a lazy wind despite being from the South, it would rather go through you than round. It's clouding over and I suspect that Jack and I had the best of the day. It is still puzzling me why we haven't had snow yet!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Very wet and cold here---nearer the sea than Barlick. About 11am it started to rain, quickly changed to sleet and tried to snow for a while, back to rain now but very cold.
I am still up for swopping half a day of someones heatwave---please--- :smile:
Gloria
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Sleeting steadily here since mid morning.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We still haven't seen any real sleet or snow, bit of a puzzle! Clear sky this morning and a breeze but no sign of a proper frost, funny weather! Glass is even more puzzling, it has dropped like a stone to 28". Forecast is for a rising wind from the South, increased chance of rain during the day and a wind chill below freezing all day despite temperature reaching the dizzy heights of 4C. First day of February fill dyke black or white!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Hello Whyperion missed your earlier comment. Well I am still breathing - just about - though this bad weather doesn't help much. Been over to Timbuckto (hope I spelt it correctly) out in Africa somewhere. Only joking. No, I have been on my various blogs and website, then had trouble getting back onto OGFB, but a good friend helped me out. My weather glass is showing :laugh5: Rain 29.1.0 about -983 m bars - no doubt Stanley will tell me/us if that's correct where he lives!!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No help from me Ray, my barometer is reading low at the moment and I need to reset it when I get a good reading.
Started raining just before dinner yesterday but no snow or sleet. It is cold wet and windy at the moment out there. Glass rising, up at 28.4" but another, even stronger low is racing in. Forecast for today is for the rain to cease before 09:00 and the wind drops a little. Only a respite!
07:00. Just been out to get some coal to fire the stove and it's still wet, but it feels more like sleet than rain. No rush to go out for our walk this morning!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It cleared up by 08:00 and we had a dry walk. The day turned out lovely, cold but plenty of sun through broken cloud. Started to rain again in the evening. Glass rose yesterday but has started falling again and this morning my suspect barometer reads 28.7" but this is accurate as regards the movement because another intense low is coming in and so there is no respite for the SW after the wettest January for over 100 years. Forecast is for another bright day with an increasingly strong SE wind which will feel cold despite a 5C high. The old farmers used to call this 'brewing weather' and distrusted it. They could have been right! The forecast for Wednesday and Thursday isn't good, high winds and frequent rain showers.
08:30. Lovely morning for a walk as long as you are wrapped up! Broken cloud and dry but a stiff breeze.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had another bright winter's day yesterday in the main. Wet and cold out there this morning. Glass is falling yet again as a new low comes in, down at 28.4". Forecast is for a similar day, brightening up till evening and then rain again. This is the prelude to tomorrow which looks dire, rain and wind again. Thinking about my friends on the Levels and in Monmouth.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Well it's all over and done with now but we had a noisy night last night with up-to 100kph winds. Adelaide took quite a battering and our State Emergency Service received around 700 call-outs for clean up jobs to be done. Bit cooler today (??) with 31C, our temps will rise to 37C over the next few days.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote:Thinking about my friends on the Levels and in Monmouth.....
The forecasters seem to have over-played it these last few days and we've had some lovely sunshine. Perhaps they're trying to frighten us so we feel good when it doesn't happen!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Very bright and very cold here---- lovely day.
Gloria
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tiz. Not a lot of fine weather for you for the next few days! We had another good day yesterday and at the moment it's not raining or windy outside. Glass is down again to 27.9". It's dropped like a stone since yesterday teatime. Forecast is for a reasonable morning but with rising wind and rain after dinner. The forecasters were saying last night that they can see no end to the succession of lows coming in generated by the fierce jet stream which in turn is being created by unusual cold air flows from the Arctic meeting warm air in N America. February could perhaps break another rainfall record.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

This morning has been very wet, very windy and very cold, this afternoon doesn't look much better. At least we can keep warm and dry indoors.
Gloria

Return to “Seasons”