Winter 2013

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Winter 2013

Post by Stanley »

Jack and I had a good bracing walk, white frost on the green and only a slight breeze. From the forecast it seems that we are having the best of the weather today!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At the moment it looks like a re-run of yesterday but slightly more cloud. Cold and dry with a light breeze. Glass steady on 29.4". Forecast is same as yesterday, bright and dry with a very light SW wind for most of the day. Wonderful weather for the first day of March. There is hope for us yet!
07:15. it says a lot for the way the days are opening out that we are back in the hutch so soon. A bit misty, hardly any wind and a pleasant walk.

The crocus are popping up all over and the birds are enjoying the good weather. In the background BT are laying Fibre Optic cable.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Gosh 1st March and our first day of Autumm. Our mornings and evenings are definately cooling down but our days are still quite warm. Did some removing of dead wood in my front garden today, so now I have 4/5 bin loads to get rid off. Thank goodness for Advils.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

1st March and our first proper frost! If we use the Met Office's definition of winter (Dec, Jan, Feb) we haven't had a true frost all winter and now we get one on the first day of spring. It was also the first morning that the water in the bird bath was frozen. And we haven't had any snow all winter either. Just rain, rain ,rain, storms, wind and the odd sunny day.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Spring !! But we have to wait until the Equinox.....

Don't go there Stephen, its not worth it..... :grin:
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Met office might like to round all the seasonal changes up to month ends for statistical purposes but this does not alter our planets journey around the sun. Position of earths axis in relation to the sun is the governing factor and has worked pretty well for a long time before meteorologist had a say.

With that said here in the middle of the Austrian Tyrol with 19 days left of winter if has been very Spring like weather. Wall to wall sunshine everyday since Thursday. About 9 degrees in Innsbruck with the snowline at about 1900m on the mountain. About -15 degrees with the wind chill at the top station at 2340m. Out every day and managed to catch a bit of an Alpine tan.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have a farmer's tan these days Ian, just hands, face and the back of my neck! Weather has definitely changed but we are in danger of a frost until the second week in June, that's why, round here, tender plants shouldn't be out there until then.
It's raining gently this morning. Glass is falling towards 29" as another, less severe, low moves in from the west. Forecast is not bad but an increasing chance of rain throughout the day and the wind will gradually get up. But nothing savage, just a normal late winter day.
18:00. Back after a pleasant dry walk with only a mild breeze. Noticeable how mild it is, I suppose we'll pay later in the day but at the moment no real signs of rain.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Generally wet and mild yesterday but with some good clear spells. Glass is down at 28.7" this morning as the latest low sweeps over us. Forecast is for a generally bright day but cooler. The wind is light at the moment and from the North but dodges about all day, gradually strengthening later in the afternoon but settling in the SW. Again, not a bad day and the longer range forecast is for the weather to warm up towards the end of the week as a SW wind gets established bring warmer air up from the South. Things could be worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Beautiful day here in west lancs. Quite chilly early on, but once the sun got out it has been lovely.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Same in Barlick and there is some power in the sun now. Clear as a bell at 21:00 last night but clouded over this morning and a suspicion of rain in the air which could be just droplets of mist but I'm not certain.... More wind than yesterday. The glass fell below 29" during the night but has risen to 29.2". Forecast is for a generally bright day with a steady Westerly breeze. Most chance of rain in the morning. Good weather!
06:00. Forecast was pretty good, it is raining gently on and off.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Re-run of Monday yesterday and clear as a bell at 21:00. It's dry at the moment and the glass is well up at 29.8", an encouraging sign! Forecast is for a dry bright day with a moderate SW breeze which will gradually strengthen during the day but never be a problem. Wonderful weather.....
07:30. Pleasant walk. This is good winter weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good day yesterday, broken cloud at 21:00 last night but dry this morning. Glass has steadily risen during the day and night and is now on 29.9", highest we have seen it for a long while. Forecast is for a higher chance of showers with a steady, moderate SW breeze. A high of 9C is best we have had for a while. There's no such thing as bad weather, just wrong choice of clothing.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

LizG

Post by LizG »

Stanley wrote: There's no such thing as bad weather, just wrong choice of clothing.....
I like that. :grin:
Liz
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday turned out to be OK. Some showers later on but two dry walks! This morning it started fine but it's raining quite heavily at the moment. Glass has fallen overnight to 29.6" and the forecast is for rain on a stiff westerly breeze until 09:00 and clear and bright after that.
08:00. Lousy cold wet and windy walk! Liz will be glad to hear I am dry, full wet weather gear was deployed. Jack just shrugged it of and has had an early bath. After a good rub down with a dry towel he is feeling no pain!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon was bright and sunny. It's dry outside this morning and the glass has risen to 30". Forecast is for a dry bright day with a moderate S or SW breeze and a high of 12C! This and better will do nicely thank you!
We were back in the hutch by 07:30. Dry, mild and a very pleasant morning for mid March. Big decision, I am declaring winter over and taking the Crombie into the dry cleaner this morning......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another good day yesterday apart from some threatening black clouds that appeared around 10:30. It felt like snow almost and the council must have thought the same because they salted the roads during the morning. However, it never happened.
Jack and I are running late this morning so we've had our walk and what a pleasant winter's morning it is! It's bright, the sun was shining at one point and the glass is hovering just below 30" with perhaps a slight tendency to fall but nothing serious. Forecast is for a sunny day all day with a light westerly breeze and a high of around 13C. Best day we have had so far and one could be forgiven for thinking that we have perhaps seen the back of another winter. This is excellent weather and I heard a report yesterday that the growers are expecting this year's strawberry crop to come in a fortnight earlier because of the mild winter.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's getting predictable! Another good day yesterday with 20C reported at Cromer on the East Coast. We never got to that heady height but even so it was a good day. This morning it's dry and calm with a clear sky but no frost. Glass is rising, on 30.2" as a high pressure syste4m gets established that is going to give us some spring like weather in the next week. Forecast for today is another bright day but as the high moves in we shall have N and E winds which will feel cold even though the high will be 9C. Big change in the weather.....
07:30. Lovely walk, bright and sunny, a heavy dew and a cold but very light N wind. This and better will do!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice sunny day again! We have a clear sky with a proper frost this morning. The glass is up to 30.5", the high is established over us now and very slow moving. Forecast is for another sunny day with a steady easterly breeze which will hold the temperature back, expected high of 9C. But another lovely winter's day!
07:30. Back from our walk. A white frost and a cold breeze but brilliantly clear and sunny!

Barlickers enjoying the sunshine in Town Square yesterday.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wall to wall sunshine yesterday and we have a frost this morning so it looks like more of the same. Glass is steady at just below 30.5". Forecast is the same as yesterday but slightly warmer. Light East wind for most of the day but later it will vary a bit as we are directly under the high pressure. High of 11C if we are lucky. Daffodils are opening and it's nice weather.

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote:Wall to wall sunshine yesterday and we have a frost this morning so it looks like more of the same. Glass is steady at just below 30.5". Forecast is the same as yesterday but slightly warmer. Light East wind for most of the day but later it will vary a bit as we are directly under the high pressure. High of 11C if we are lucky. Daffodils are opening and it's nice weather.

My friend Sharon and her dog, Molly, in the pic
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Molly and Jack always enjoy meeting each other while Sharon and I chat. Molly gets jealous and barks at us if she thinks we are ignoring her....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Your skies are looking more blue.
We are in that lovely Early Autumnal weather pattern...sunny days with a golden glow casting long shadows at dusk. No cooling required, no heating required. Cheap living! My Roses have suddenly decided it is safe to bloom without being frizzled by heat, and the washing dries on the line within the hour. I am sleeping better too, but still don't even require a sheet to cover me. Hope we have waved goodbye to the heat.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We're marching towards Spring and Summer Maz. Jack and I are just back from our walk round the town and everything is just right. Hardly any wind, the frost didn't develop and apart from a slight mist, there is the promise of sun again, it's trying to break through now. Wendy will see mist in the valleys this morning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Although not quite Spring yet we must be going the right way as we saw our Australian Barlickers, Hillary and Keith who are back in town earlier in the week. :smile:
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Mist up here as well Stanley, but the sun is breaking through.

Return to “Seasons”