Spring 2014

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Spring 2014

Post by Stanley »

Another good day despite the overcast, very light rain shower late in the evening, more like very heavy dew. Warmest day we have had so far. Glass is down again to 29.4" but still promises a reasonable day. Forecast is for sunshine until mid afternoon taking temperature even higher than yesterday, 21C forecast. Wind is in the east and that will cool the maximum down a bit but still a bright fresh day.

06:15. lovely early walk. The Hawthorn blossom at Dam Head bridge is stunning!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've done our morning walk. It's a pleasant morning with broken cloud and a light breeze. There was a brief shower last night but nothing of any consequence. The glass is up slightly at just over 29.4". Forecast is for an overcast but bright day with a moderate east wind. Expected high of 19C moderated slightly by the wind. Chance of a shower this evening. Still good weather, I can't remember a better Spring.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Adelaide. We have been enjoying unusually warm weather for Autumn this past week or two, cool mornings, low to mid 20's during the day, then cooling off again around about 4pm. A few showers here and there and indoor lighting is being put-on earlier each day. Our tree's leaves have began to fall even so, and my street is well covered. Just lovely. :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Light at 04:00 this morning. We were promised rain late yesterday but so far no sign. It's overcast but brighter this morning. Glass is up slightly at 29.5" Forecast is for a bright day with full sun from late morning onwards. Temperature down slightly and breeze is west shifting slowly to NW later. No rain forecast for today but plenty for tomorrow and Friday. Looks as though the high pressure is moving away from us from the change in wind direction. No sweat, we need some rain for the grass and gardens....
06:20. Back from an early walk. Very pleasant, cooler but the mist is clearing and the cloud cover breaking. The sun will put his hat on soon....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice day yesterday. No rain in evening or night. Started to rain gently this morning just before 06:00 and it is steady, just what the gardens need. Glass is dropping towards 29.2" and the forecast is for a wet day with an increasing NE wind which will hold the temperature back, high of 11C. The next few days are forecast wet and this means that nature will get just what it needs to keep the glorious spring going. We've had our walk and it was OK.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Julie in Norfolk
Regular User

Post by Julie in Norfolk »

Because we reviewed the seeds on offer at our bird table and improved the selection we have a greater variety of birds now visiting. Because some of the birds are very messy eaters we also have bank voles visiting the ground seed offerings. Because I was watching all this natural loveliness I saw that the sparrowhawk in the tree was also keenly interested!

Camera not available and kitchen window too dirty to take a picture through. Sorry!
Measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil, cut with an axe.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The ducks used to clean up under my bird table at Addingham....
We are back from our walk. Easterly breeze, light rain and much cooler but still not bad weather. Glass is rising and is on 29.4", total overcast so it looks like showers all day. Good news is that the gutter leak has been stopped! Forecast is unsurprisingly for 80% chance of rain all day and a moderate NE wind to cool us down. High of 11C. Still not bad weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote:High of 11C. Still not bad weather.
I guess it is all relative, I hate those low temperatures.

Sunny with a high of 34C/93f today for us and a pleasant breeze from the south. Roll on summer! :cool4:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Different neck of the woods China. Our blossom and abundant growth back up my assertion and 11C at this time of the year is OK.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Jack and I had our walk early. There has been overnight rain but it is now dry, calm and very pleasant. Bright overcast. Glass is still rising slowly and is on 29.5". Forecast is for a bright morning with a chance of a shower this afternoon. Steady moderate East wind to cool us a bit and an expected high of 12C. Nothing to frighten the horses.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've had our walk on a cool, overcast but dry morning with a little breeze. Glass is still rising slowly, up at 29.6" this morning. Forecast is similar to yesterday with a good chance of rain in the afternoon, reasonably bright at the moment after an early shower. Main change is that the wind will veer towards the South as the day goes on but no higher than 12C expected.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We're back from an early walk. It is bright, sunny, calm and cool but Barlick looks at it's best apart from the litter left after the band concert last night. The glass is up again at 29.8". Forecast is for a dry, bright day with a gentle S or SE breeze, high of 15C. Couldn't be much better for late May.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely day yesterday... Overcast and calm this morning, mild and by the time Jack and I went for our walk it was spotting with rain but nothing to worry about. Glass is just below 29.8" and steady, no surprises there. Forecast is for an overcast day with a chance of a shower almost any time till this afternoon. Main change is the wind which has swung into the NE as the systems move over us. Expected high of 13C but mitigated slightly by the wind. Nothing to complain about and still growy weather....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've had our early walk. No significant rain overnight, it's overcast, calm and not too cool this morning with light rain. Glass is down a touch at 29.7", again nothing earth-shattering. The forecast is for a good chance of a shower almost all day. Very light N wind and it will gradually swing into the East during the day. Expected high of 12C. Just a cool wet Spring day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've had our walk on a damp, overcast morning but not raining at the moment. The glass is rising slowly towards 29.8" Forecast is for a chance of light shower any time, a moderate East wind and a high of 11C. A cool Spring day. Prospects over the next few days are for it to get brighter and more dry with rising temperatures.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We're back from our walk down to the butcher's on Gisburn Road. Overcast, calm, dry and mild. Glass is almost up to 30" and tending to rise, a good sign. The forecast is for a dry and fairly bright day with a moderate Easterly breeze and a high of 14C if we're lucky. A nice day if you don't mind the sun hiding most of the time. Weather is set to improve even more over the next few days....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Jack and I had an early walk, overcast, calm, mild and dry, very pleasant. Glass is just a fraction below 30" and tending to fall slightly under the influence of a low pressure system tracking across from the Atlantic to the NW of Scotland but nothing serious. Forecast is for a chance of slight rain until 07:00 and then brighter for the rest of the day. Wind is light, WNW or West and an expected high of 16C this afternoon. Good weather, the last day of May and only three weeks until the days start to draw in again!
08:00. The sun has put his hat on and it's a lovely day here in Barlick.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We are back from an early walk, a calm dry morning with early sun and a heavy dew, lovely.... Glass is dropping back very slowly towards 29.9". Forecast is for a sunny day with a very light wind that starts in the NE and moves round through North and West until it settles in the SW later. High of 18C. A nice day and the first day of June.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

1st day of Winter for us... socks on jumper on heater on... here we go... :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Cathy... Never mind, remember the discomfort of summer, the cooler weather will feel better.
Yesterday was shirtsleeve weather in Barlick. There's been a light shower during the night. Glass is is almost back to 29.7". Forecast is for bright overcast with a light shower perhaps occasionally, very light southerly winds and a high of 15C. Not sunny but not bad.
06:55. Just back from our walk. A much better morning than the forecast suggests. The cloud has lifted and broken and the sun is coming through, almost dead calm and the birds are singing their hearts out, always a good sign. Very mild, I think it's about 12C now and warmer even in the low sun. The start of Flaming June?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Same here Stanley, this has the makings of another lovely day.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had light rain later Gloria but on the whole a good day. Glass has dropped below 29.6" on an overcast but mild and calm morning. Forecast is almost the same as yesterday, expected high of 14C and a light to moderate W wind.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had a pleasant early morning walk, mild, calm and an overcast sky but dry. Glass is down again to 29.3". Forecast is for a good chance of showers all day with a gentle NW breeze and a high of 11C.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Our low of 11C will come overnight with 18C as our high for tomorrow and some rain. Good day to be home. :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And warmer than us Cathy!
We've just had our walk, mild, overcast and almost calm. Glass is rock steady on 29.3", usually a sign of an impending rise. Forecast is for a more settled, brighter day than yesterday but still overcast with a 20% chance of a light shower almost any time. Wind is a steady, moderate westerly and the expected high is 11C. A quiet early June day......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”