Spring 2014

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Spring 2014

Post by PanBiker »

On our journey around the Sun we have arrived at the Vernal Equinox. On this day we have equal hours of daylight and night-time, welcome to Spring 2014.

For our Southern hemisphere friends, welcome to your Autumn.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Spring 2014

Post by Stanley »

And the last day of winter was a good day, plenty of sun but a brisk wind kept the temperature down. Clear as a bell last night at 09:00, bit of broken cloud coming over from the West but up to press a dry morning. Glass is down again at 29.5". Forecast is for a dry bright day until 13:00 with a brisk SW wind, then we have a band of rain expected.....
Spring is sprung, de boids is riz.
Dat's absoid, de wings is on de boid.
06:00. Red sky and broken cloud.
07:00. Back from a breezy, dry but chilly walk. Sky has clouded over but still a good day so far.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Forecast was spot on, the cold rain came in around mid day. By 20:00 it had stopped and we had broken clouds with stars peeping through. Dry this morning, colder and broken cloud. Glass is rising but still on 29.3". Forecast is for a mainly dry but much colder day, the high of 7C will feel like 3C and at the moment the wind chill is taking it down to -3C. Frost forecast for tonight. Cold enough for any showers around mid-day to be sleety.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Clouding up at 13:30. Proper gloomy in here :sad:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It came bright and sunny again but just as I finished putting the outside light up we had a hail shower. That could freeze nicely on the pavements tonight if it doesn't dry off.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At the moment we have wet snow and rain and a moderate SW wind. The glass is down again at 29" and the forecast is for this rain to continue until about 08:00 and with the wind chill it will be well below freezing. Could be a bad morning on the roads because of course you can't salt in freezing rain.
06:00. Cloud breaking, it's stopped raining at the moment and it's getting colder....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a mixed day yesterday, cold showers and sunny intervals. Rain set in again in the evening. Glass is rising, almost up to 29.3" as a small high pressure system establishes. Forecast is for the rain to cease soon as the wind shifts into the NW for most of the day. It should be cold but bright with a spell of cold rain this evening and then a clear night with a possible frost.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Still daylight at 19:00 last night, bone dry and getting cold. This morning we have a clear sky and a hard frost, possibly the coldest morning of the winter. Stove coping well, no CH! Glass is up again at almost 29.7", looks like a clear cold day! Forecast is for wall to wall sunshine all day with a light E wind at first, strengthening and swinging to the SE later in the day.
07:30. Back from our walk, a hard white frost but crystal clear. Wonderful morning and a better day to follow....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Brilliant day yesterday with wall to wall sunshine. Cold rain this morning and the glass is almost down to 29.4". Forecast is for a dull wet day with high chance of rain with a steady, moderate East wind. Cold and wet......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We have been having some overcast days, definately cooler at 22/23C today. Nights are about 12C. You can feel Autumn making its way, looking forward to seeing the leaves drop. We even had a drop of rain today.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It must be a relief Cathy after the hot weather you have been suffering. Basically cold, dull and wet in Barlick yesterday. An occasional glimpse of the sun but nothing to excite you! The glass is rising again, almost up to 30" and at the moment it's clear, dry and a hard frost outside. Forecast is for a cold and mainly dry day with the chance of a light shower but mainly dry and bright. Funny thing is that the forecast consistently under-estimates the degree of cold, no mention of frost in the forecast but ice on the cars in the back street.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Overcast morning but dry with no frost. Glass is down a bit at 29.7". Forecast is AWOL this morning but I'll predict a dull and mainly dry day.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Started off quite dull and damp, but is now brightening up. Looks as though it could be a nice day.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Our sunrises at the moment happen at about 7.30am. I was up at 6.30/6.45 this morning and had the awesome pleasure of seeing Venus in our north/east skies. Our skies were still dark, the moon was only a sliver and Venus in the shape of a diamond, was right next to it, both very bright and a delight to see. Surreal. :smile:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

What were you doing up so early, Cazza? ( did you wet the bed? :laugh5: )

We have had some brilliant pink and purple sunsets lately too...and Febby and I engaged in a little cloud watching today whilst on a walk...we had some beautiful clouds today. White, fluffy and piled high like whipped cream.
( I know...daft things to get excited about)
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

(I was up early with backache and sciatica, oh dear. ) Loved our sky yesterday, we had sweeping white clouds with very large fluffy (mashed potato type) edged with dark grey against a deep blue sky. Beautiful.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nothing beautiful about our weather this morning.... cold and wet but not actually raining at the moment. Glass is rising slowly, approaching 29.8". Forecast is for a drier spell mid morning but a good chance of cold showers all day. The weather feels as though it is making its mind up whether to warm up or not!
07:30. Jack and I had a good walk among the crackpots. Butcher’s shopping done and BET read. Now for a day of further mischief.....
Remember to put your clocks forward one hour on Saturday night......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

A lovely day today, dried the washing, been for a walk with dogs.
Last night we had a serious thunderstorm, and this morning there was a lot of water about. Goint to be nice for weekend.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It wasn't a bad day yesterday, the rain was very light when we got it but a gloomy day. Cloudy but dry this morning and around 5C. Glass was moving a trifle one way or the other but no overall change, steady just below 29.8". Forecast is for a dry day with a constant east wind giving a wind chill of about 3C so not warm....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecasters got it wrong yesterday, the East wind dropped and it was quite balmy. Glass is steady on about 29.7" and it's calm and dry outside and warmer. Forecast is for a bright and warmer day but still with an East wind so a high of only 14C. If they have the wind wrong again it will be the warmest day this year.
07:25. I think they have got the wind wrong. Just a light easterly breeze and it's mild already. Lovely weather for the end of March, we are being very lucky!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We were given a lovely taste of cooler weather for about a week, then it got warmer for a few days reaching up to 27C, bit too warm for me, but now we are told to expect 37C by mid/late week. What the?? Autumn is coming, autumn is coming...
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

20 degrees C in Buckinghamshire this morning, a top coat warmer as they say, T Shirt weather at Bletchley. Dropped 6 degrees or so as we came up the M1 home.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's the lovely thing about our weather, local differences. Yet again the promised East wind in the forecast never really materialised. Barlick is on the cusp between the East and the West and I think this explains why sometimes the Met Office gets the details wrong. It was almost balmy yesterday and hardly any breeze. Brilliant clear sky last night at 21:00. The glass is steady on 29.7", dry and cloudy at the moment. The forecast is for a similar day to yesterday, bright overcast or sunshine, less wind and no rain until late tonight. Last day of March, it is going out like a lamb.
07:30. A pleasant walk, overcast but not much wind and quite mild. The grass on the Green has started moving, definitely more growth over the last four or five days. Wendy's horses will get a spot of Doctor Green soon!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

36C degrees here today.
We have set a new record. Warmest April day since records began here!
Wonderful...not!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Don't worry Maz, Hartley says that climate change is a conspiracy.....
Nice day yesterday with some light rain later in the evening. Raining gently first thing but it is fine now. Calm and mild. Glass is down slightly at 29.6". Forecast is for a good chance of a shower 'til dinnertime and dry after that, mild with a light breeze that swings round all points of the compass. In other words a showery April day! Just right....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”