Spring 2014

Sunray10
Regular User

Re: Spring 2014

Post by Sunray10 »

Stanley, by the looks of things, ie "your head" you don't need a shave. I remember going into our local barber's shop when I was nowt but a kid. A bald headed bloke came in. The barber looked at the chap and said "how much do you want taking of," the bald chap said "oh just a few bits." To me it looked like he had no bits, neither !! Ha :laugh5: Sorry, back to Re Spring 2014. It has been a warm day today, some sun and ominous dark clouds, but dry. By Friday I am told we shall have colder weather :surprised:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A good day yesterday and I think the warmest we have had this year. Glass steady on 29.6" and forecast is very similar to yesterday but more overcast with the same light easterly breeze. High of 14C expected.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Cooler here today. Might have to re-think the T-shirt if it doesn't brighten up.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There was light rain yesterday evening but flags are almost dry now. Just a touch of mist and it's cool. Glass is just over 29.5" and forecast is for a cooler day, high of 10C, with a slightly stronger east wind and a chance of a light shower all day. First day of May but it's April weather!
06:50 and we're back from our misty, cool but pleasant walk. Grass cutting on the Green and in Valley Gardens.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday turned out to be dry on the whole but dull and chilly because of the East wind. The glass is up at 30" and still rising and at the moment it is bright overcast with that pesky east wind cooling things down. Forecast is for a bright dry day with a high of 10C but again, chilled down by a steady easterly wind. I've put another skin on and the stove is getting lit in the afternoon.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Couldn't stand it anymore, I've got the heater on for the first time since last winter, it's not so much our temperature at 18C but we have had cold rain, winds and hailstorms today, and they have said that winter is here. We still have leaves on our trees so I think that winter is just giving us a pre-view. Anyway I was cold and my cat isn't curled up in a tight ball anymore or asking for cuddles every 5 minutes. Good enough reason for me... :smile:

They have just announced that today is our coldest May day in 33yrs. I remember them all, haha.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've joined you this morning Cathy. Clear, sunny, calm and a white frost on the grass. My CH kicked in for a few minutes. The glass is just above 30" and tending to rise, a lovely morning full of promise! Forecast is for wall to wall sunshine most of the day with a light easterly wind which gradually swings round to the west during the day. High of 11C. Good Bank Holiday weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely day yesterday and dry and cool this morning but no frost. Glass still just below 30" but tending to fall slightly. Forecast is for an overcast day with a slight chance of a light shower. High of 11C and a light wind.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Feels very similar to yesterday but the glass is falling quickly, it's on 29.6" this morning. Forecast is for a mainly dry overcast day with a southerly breeze and a high of 13C. Looks like rain this evening....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good day yesterday with light rain in the evening. Flags are damp and there is broken cloud cover this morning. Glass is back again to 29.3". Forecast is for a dry bright day with a high of 13C with a moderate SW wind and a chance of a light shower in the evening. We're doing well! This is exactly right for the time of year.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was spoiled a bit by the 'SW' wind blowing from the NW for most of the day but on the whole a good day. We've just had our walk and this morning is cool, fresh, W wind and broken cloud. Could be a shower later? Glass is steady on 29.3" Forecast is for a good chance of rain after 09:00, steady WSW wind and a high of 10C. Things could be a lot worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Stanley, have just had a report that Perth (and spreading east and south) is going to be pelted with 30-40mls of rain overnight. Hope all is OK with Margaret.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not heard any reports Cathy. Perth is always glad of rain!
It rained steadily yesterday from mid afternoon until late evening. Flags dry now, broken could and quite mild outside. Glass is up a bit at 29.4" Forecast is for a similar day today, slight chance of a light shower this morning, overcast and perhaps more rain after dinner and in the early evening. Light S or SW breeze, high of 11C.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Overcast showery day yesterday, especially after dinner. Noticed that the Shipping Forecast, while it's quiet for today, expects more wind over the weekend. Overcast and gentle rain at the moment. Glass is falling slowly, just below 29.3" at the moment. Forecast is for a high chance of rain until about 16:00 with a gradually strengthening West wind. High of 14C possible. Growy weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

The new raised bed I built and filled in the front garden is getting a good bedding in!
Ian
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Odd showers yesterday and it has bucketed it down overnight, lots of lying water about.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I noted that Butts Beck was a strong colour and running well yesterday morning Gloria. It had rained harder during the night that I thought.
Jack and I have been for our walk, stopped raining but the wind is a bit stronger. Cool enough to light the stove for a while. Glass is back a bit at just below 29.2" and tending to fall, looks like a blustery showery day from this evidence. The forecast bears this out, high chance of a shower any time in the next 24 hours, brisk SW wind and a high of 12C which will feel like 9C with the wind chill. Not the best of days but still OK for the time of year!
08:00. Bright and sunny, but not for long!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Rain overnight again but it's fine at the moment. Glass is down to 29". Forecast is for a slightly better but cooler day. A brisk Westerly wind and an increasing chance of rain after 09:00. Not a day for picnics! High of 10C dropped by the wind of course.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Showery day yesterday but we got two dry walks in. Glass is rising and almost on 29.4" so that's hopeful! Forecast is not a lot different, good chance of a shower after 09:00, slightly less west wind and a high of 11C. Should be an occasional look at the currant bun.
07:00. Back from our walk. Pleasant morning, light wind, cool but dry. Jack has met some of his mates, things could be worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not a bad day yesterday, mostly dry with sunny intervals. Glass is up again to just above 29.6", looks as though we are going to get some better weather! Forecast for today is mainly dry, wind has fallen and starts from the North at the moment and gradually swings round to the west in the afternoon. High of 11C. A good spring day.
07:00. A nice walk in pleasant conditions. Heavy dew, looks like a better day than the forecast suggests.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a pleasant and bright day yesterday. Glass is still rising and is a fraction under 30.1" at the moment. A good sign and helped by the fact that we have a full moon in a clear sky. Funny how major weather changes often come with the full moon. Forecast is for a dry bright day with a steady, but not excessive WNW or W wind. High of 14C expected. Good Spring weather!
07:30. Lovely walk in wall to wall sunshine. Birds singing, dogs playing with each other and the foliage on the trees looking magnificent. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the lodger cat is taking the rays. This is a smart cat!

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely day yesterday. Glass is still rising, up at 30.3" this morning. Forecast is same as yesterday but a bot more overcast. Expected high of 14C. Better to come!
06:30. Back from a pleasant walk. We are half an hour early, must get Jack's morning schedule finished before I abandon him for Burnley!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good day yesterday but overcast, it's much clearer this morning, dry and calm. Glass is on 30.3". Forecast is for a brighter day, high of 17C(!) with a gentle westerly breeze. Looks like the best day this year!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good bright but overcast day yesterday, warmest day of the year. Glass is down slightly at 30" and it's overcast again but still looks like a good day. A shower would be good for the gardens, allotments and grass. Forecast is for a brighter day with plenty of sun, moderate west wind and a high of 18C. The high pressure system that's giving us this good weather is very slow moving so no violent changes expected. Wonderful Spring weather!
06:30. Back from a pleasant sunny walk in shirt sleeves. It doesn't get much better than this!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Perfect day yesterday, a bit more overcast this morning. Glass is down at 29.6", bit of a change coming happen but nowt serious. Forecast is for a partially overcast but bright day with a high of 20C. Wind from the South, varying a bit but never more than a mild breeze. Another good day!
06:30. Back from a lovely walk, the sun is coming through and the blossom of the Hawthorns is out in great masses. Good job because I ditched my vest yesterday! (Ne'er cast a clout 'til May be out.....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”