Spring 2014

Cathy
VIP Member

Re: Spring 2014

Post by Cathy »

Winter is slowly but surely showing its presence here in Adelaide, staying cooler for longer in the mornings and the chill coming a little bit earlier each afternoon. 8C overnight tonight and 18C for tomorrow.

That should cool us down after we experienced a 13hour siege in the Adelaide CBD today, a large area had to be shut-down while police protected the public and 'got their man', they had been closing in on him for 2weeks, a nasty character who in the end took his own life. Can't remember this ever happening before in 'little old Adelaide' but it was reassuring to see the police doing what they did and how they did it all.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cathy, we are warmer at night but cooler during the day.
This morning is dry, calm and mild, bit of a bugger actually as I have scattered Daz on the flags at the front to kill the moss and clean them. I shall have to manually wet them! Glass has risen to almost 29.6" and forecast is for a bright sunny day with a variable but moderate breeze from the E/SE and a high of 18C. Could be a good day to hoe the front garden. Will leave the walk until slightly later this morning as one of my dog-walking ladies made a mild complaint yesterday that she was missing me on her morning walk. It's butcher's day so this will fit in nicely. Mind you, Kath at the butcher's is always up early!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've had our walk. Lovely morning, overcast at first but burning off now. Glass back slightly to 29.5". Forecast is for a good chance of rain during the day and a chance of heavy thundery showers later on. Wind is a moderate Easterly at the moment but will swing round to the W/NW later on.
Nice to see that the Steam and Stream trail board in Valley Gardens has been refurbished.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We have had our walk on a cool but bright and dry morning with well-broken cloud coming in on a light breeze from the West and the sun is breaking through. Lots of evidence of heavy thunder showers last night but no great weight of rain as Butts is only running a moderate flow. It started last night with occasional thunder around 20:00 but by 22:00 I was lying in bed being lulled to sleep by a heavy thunderstorm with lots of big lightning bolts. Glass is tending upwards and is over 29.6" this morning. Forecast is for a bright showery day with an increased likelihood of rain after noon. The wind is light and mainly from the south and west. Forecast high of 17C. Growy day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Back from our walk just after 06:00. Bright morning, sun poking through the broken cloud and a spatter of big drops of rain. Mild and very little wind. Glass is up at almost 29.8", looks hopeful! Forecast is for a small chance of a shower almost any time. Light easterly wind most of the day, expected high of 14C. Very humid later in the day as the wind swings round through South to a light westerly during the night.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just back from our walk. It's damp from night showers but at the moment it's mild, calm, dry and well broken cloud. Everything is looking so green and healthy! The glass is back a bit at 29.6"and the forecast is for a bright morning followed by quite a high chance of rain in the afternoon. Wind moderate from South and East later. Expected high of 16C. Very humid and growy! A hatch of midges in Valley Gardens.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've had our walk. Dull, damp and wet underfoot, there was a lot of rain in the evening yesterday and the occasional clap of thunder. Not raining, calm and mild. Glass has risen to almost 29.9". Forecast is for a mainly bright day with a high of 17C. Gentle Westerly wind all day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We were out of the door at 05:00. Nice morning, dry calm and clear, very mild. Glass is on the way up to 30.1". Forecast is for a bright, dry day with a gentle west wind and a high of perhaps 18C. There has been a light shower in the night, perfect growing weather!
We are now at what the old farmers called 'grass day' when cattle had grass even on the higher ground and could safely be left out all night. No frost danger usually from now on. This is where summer should really start! When we bought in calf cows at the lying off sales in Scotland, those due to calve around this date were always described as 'at grass'.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a nice day yesterday... Very growy! Glass was up to 30.1" but is dropping back a bit. This morning is dry, calm, mild and a light overcast. Forecast is almost a copy of yesterday, bright, light westerly breeze and a good chance of sun. Expected high is 19C, an improvement on yesterday but nowhere near the highs being reported in the South....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Do you ever feel a bit lonely on this topic Stanley??
It's very wintry in Adelaide, cold blowy and rainy, looks like it will remain so. I'm inside with layers of clothing on and the heater as well. Great for sleeping. :smile:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Full moon on Friday 13th today, it will be 2049 before the next one on this date.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote:Full moon on Friday 13th today, it will be 2049 before the next one on this date.
A shame it's clouded over, a good photo opportunity at sunset for some interesting shots if it had been clear. Sun behind you, moon in front of you makes an excellent landscape and, as it's Friday 13th would have made it very topical.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

4AM this morning Kev and setting fast. You can see it's a clear sky, mild and calm. Glass is dead on 30". Forecast is bright overcast, chance of a light shower mid-morning. High of 19C and a light wind swinging from west round to east via the north during the day.
06:00. Back from an early walk. Very pleasant and calm. Shirtsleeve order but still warm!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've had our walk. There has been a light shower since midnight, light overcast, calm and mild and very quiet, everything growing and the birds enjoying the morning. Glass is up slightly to 30.1", a good sign. Forecast is for an overcast day with a chance of a shower until dinnertime, steady gentle East wind and a high of 17C. Prospect for the next few days is for general improvement.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We were out at 05:00, high thin cloud, calm, sun coming in at low level, very heavy dew, a lovely morning! Glass is on 30.1" and tending to rise, a good sign. Forecast is for a mainly bright day, chance of rain late morning, light wind varying from east to NNE and a forecast high of 18C with better tomorrow. Very growy weather, daughter Susan tells me the allotments are loving this!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Went to work in the mist this morning and came home this afternoon in the rain. 17C and a few showers they said, haha. Same for tomorrow, but I shall be home :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Right! That's the first part of the plan in place to give Jack two walks before I abandon him to house duties at 08:15!
Rerun of yesterday, pleasant walk, sun breaking through, mild and calm. Glass is just over 30.1" and tending to rise3. Forecast is fr a bright day, w3inmd starting very light in the West and swinging round through the north until it is easterly later. Expected high of 19C. Another pleasant day and improving slowly all the time.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've had our walk, didn't even bother to put a waistcoat on... mild, calm, overcast but very pleasant. Glass is steady, hovering just below 30.1". Forecast is for a bright but overcast day with a gentle breeze that covers all points of the compass. High of 20C and perhaps a slight chance of a light shower in the early afternoon. Another good day for the silage makers!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Waistcoat walk on a grey, mild, calm morning. Glass is down slightly at just below 30". Forecast is for an overcast day, variable light wind mainly from NE but shifting about a lot. Expected high of 18C and the outside chance of a light shower around midday.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another waistcoat walk on a mild, calm morning. Glass is down slightly at 29.9". Forecast is for a bright sunny day, expected high of 18C and a moderate westerly breeze. Prospect is for better to come in the next few days. Perfect weather for both humans and the gardens. Lovely!
Longest day tomorrow... then the nights start to close in on us, winter is coming!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

By 'eck Stanley, let's not get too far in front of ourselves!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We are the one's going thru Winter at the moment, wet windy and temps are down, heater is on some nights. We are not in the grips of Winter yet, but we are assured that it is coming...
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Spring has officially ended so this topic is now closed, summer has begun... post your observations in the new topic:

Summer 2014
Ian

Return to “Seasons”