Summer 2014

David Whipp

Re: Summer 2014

Post by David Whipp »

Given the areas of new planting put in by bloom volunteers, a drop of rain would be very welcome. It's almost inevitable anyway; I bought some new hoses yesterday to replace the split cheap and cheerful ones we've been using for watering up to press.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're right David, a good soak would do a lot of good. We had the occasional damp spell yesterday but nothing of any consequence. This morning is overcast and humid but the flags were dry at 4AM with a light west wind. Very noticeable now how the mornings are darker. Glass is down and heading towards 29.8". Forecast is for an overcast day with a strengthening SW wind, high chance of rain from noon onwards and a high of 17C so it looks as though David's hose purchase has worked as well as the Rain Dance! Never mind, nature will love it!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Ian Holgate, who watered the Fernlea Avenue area yesterday evening was delighted with the new hosepipe, "Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs!" he said (only joking). I daresay visitors to the Co-op appreciated it as well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We got back from our walk at 07:00. Sunshine poking through the cloud but it's a bit watery. Rain clouds threatening but so far no precipitation. Very high temperatures forecast for areas further south. They can keep it as far as I am concerned, we always hanker after blazing sunshine but in truth it can be a bit wearing, especially if you have to work outdoors.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was raining heavily at 04:00 and is still raining now. Looks as though the flower beds have had a good degging during the night... Glass is almost back to 29". Forecast for today is for the rain to continue until about 08:00 and then a bright day with a moderate West wind. Expected high of 15C. Just right for Mother Nature!
07:00. Back from a dry walk, it's stopped raining. Butts Beck tells the story of the overnight rain. It has been down to a trickle for a while but this morning the water is roaring over the cill of the Corn Mill weir at Briggs and Duxbury's. Just right for Barlick in Bloom....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

As I said elsewhere Stanley, things falling into place - including the rain. (Now we've had plenty, can we have more dry stuff, please?)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry but overcast at 04:30 this morning. Glass is rising, just above 29.2" a good sign! Forecast is for a dry, bright overcast day with a light variable wind with a high of 17C. Basically the same for the next four days so Barlick in Bloom looks hopeful as does our Fellsman trip on Wednesday and the public services strike on Thursday!
07:30. We've had our morning walk. The odd spit of rain on the wind but nothing to worry about. The town is looking good. Street sweeper busy on Pioneer car park....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've just come back from our walk in substantial rain. Enough to water the flower beds and swill the streets and gutters! Glass is dead on 29.5" and is trending up after falling during the night. Forecast is for the rain to cease, with a chance of another shower around noon. Generally bright with broken cloud with a moderate breeze that starts from the West and swings round via the South to end up coming from the SE this evening. Expected high of 16C. A growy day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

After all the sweeping yesterday, swilling streets and gutters is bob on!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry at 04:99 but there has been a light shower during the night. Glass is up again to 29.6", a good sign for the day and for the Fellsman tomorrow as well. Forecast is for an overcast day, light breeze from the West and a chance of a shower from noon until 18:00. Expected high of 17C.
06:40. Back from our walk on a pleasant morning. Tree felling in Valley Gardens is ongoing but I don't see why this should be a negative point in the contest as it shows that work is ongoing to maintain our assets. Very tidy felling job by the way....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

The weather was just right for the judging tour this morning (we did have some big brollies on hand, just in case...).

Parks had advised that more conifers would be felled this week; I'd told them it was OK if they did it on judging day. As it happened, we didn't walk as far as where the felling has been carried out.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

The forecast rain has just arrived; our tour had just the right weather window.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Glad it all worked out well for the contest.... It looks good for the Fellsman today! Clear sky with some high cloud, mild and calm at the moment, heavy dew. Glass is up at over 29.7" Forecast is for a bright day with a gentle NW wind and an expected high of 20C. Perfect!
05:30. We got out early for our walk and I am going to log off now, must get scrubbed up!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a perfect day for our trip, good sunshine and a cooling breeze. Today looks the same at the moment. Glass is steady on just over 29.7". Forecast is same as yesterday but less cloud. Full sun all day, a gentle NW breeze and a high of 21C. Probably the best day of summer so far. Lovely.....

Ullswater yesterday.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Perfect summer day in Barlick yesterday. Not quite as clear this morning but a good dew. Glass is steady on just over 29.7", looks promising! Forecast is good, bright but overcast, very light West wind, expected high of 20C. It doesn't get much better than this....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cool, calm morning with light fluffy overcast. Glass is back slightly on 29.6". Forecast is for a bright start deteriorating during the day to rain this evening. The light breeze will swing round all points of the compass during the day and the expected high is a surprising 22C. Looks like a bit of a change but a spot of rain will be welcome.
07:15. The early light overcast has burned off and we have full sun. The forecast has been revised during the last couple of hours and according to the latest version we can expect the cloud to come in from 10AM onwards.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We got caught in a heavy rain shower this morning. Jack and I sheltered for a while under a friendly bush just below Montrose Terrace and listened to the water rumbling in the drains, it was a good gardener's shower! My old Hogg coat has lost it's waterproofing so my shirt and trousers were wet, dry clothes indicated I think! [That's right Maz, I'm sat here typing this in me budgie smugglers while my back dries off.]
Not surprisingly, the glass has dropped to just above 29.3" and the forecast is for rain until dinnertime [they got that right!] and then a bright afternoon. Moderate westerly breeze and expected high of 18C. Good growing weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

No rain on our bike ride today I was in cycling shirt only by 8.15 this morning.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear sky with a full moon this morning. Glass is rising, it's up at almost 29.5". Forecast is for a bright day until teatime when we have a chance of showers. Moderate west wind all day and an expected high of 19C. Another good summer day....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thin overcast at the moment and a mild calm morning. Glass is up slightly at almost 29.6". Forecast is for an overcast but mainly dry day with a moderate west wind and an expected high of 17C. Looking ahead, the Met Office is forecasting that Thursday could be the hottest day of the year in the South. Downside is that heavy thundery showers are expected for the rest of the week. We shall escape the 30C forecast for the south (Good!) but later in the week we could get the thunder. Worth remembering that this is the sort of weather pattern that gave us the flood of July 1932, check any vulnerable drains or culverts that could affect you!
07:00. We've had our walk. Very mild and humid but a pleasant stroll nonetheless. Barlick is looking clean and tidy....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 04:00 this morning we had an overcast sky but we've had our walk and the overcast has cleared leaving some scattered high level could and a heavy dew. It's a lovely morning! The glass is up again slightly at almost 29.7" so all the signs are good. The forecast is for bright overcast until dinnertime and a good chance of rain in the afternoon. The breeze will be moderate and from the SW, expected high of 19C. Much warmer in more Southern parts, we are being lucky again. Over the next two days it will get warmer and on Friday there could be very heavy thunder showers.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Jack and I have had our walk on an overcast morning, humid and mild, shirtsleeve order. The glass is up again and has almost reached 29.8". The forecast is for a bright overcast with periods of full sun, no rain indicated (Good job because I have just hung my bedding out!) A light west wind will shift into the east later and the expected high is 22C. Further down the country they are talking about temperatures 10 degrees higher than this and Friday could be a record breaker, hot weather warnings have been issued. I don't know about you lot but they are welcome to it, 33C and high humidity is lousy weather to work in! So, yet again, Barlick seems to be getting a good deal!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Here in Somerset we're predicted to get 27C today and a minimum during tonight of 21, followed on Friday by 26 then a noisy night of thunderstorms. And the humidity too. Worse of course in London. But Manchester is predicted to get 28 tomorrow, so watch out in Barlick!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another pleasant day in Barlick. Glass is falling, it's back to 29.6". My reading is that we are looking at a change in the weather and whilst today might be a good summer day, it will get unstable later and we shall probably see the thunderstorms. I shall be unplugging the Flying machine! Forecast is for a bright day but overcast at times, chance of rain around midday. A stronger breeze from the East and an expected high of 22C. Things could change rapidly and thunder today or tomorrow wouldn't surprise me.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The easterly wind has cooled things down up here, only 8C outside this morning.

Return to “Seasons”