Summer 2014

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Summer 2014

Post by Stanley »

Overcast, dry and mild. Glass is back again slightly at just above 29,5". Forecast is for a bright day, the light east wind reversing to the west and an expected high of 20C.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Rerun of yesterday so far. Glass is back again, slightly below 29,5". Forecast is for possible showers until 09:00 but dry from then on. Very light west wind and an expected high of 15C. It's looking good for the Heritage event.
06:00. There's been a very light rain shower. Just enough to freshen things up. Long range forecast is for a good September, could be a late Indian summer....07:20. Back from our walk, almost dry.... Lots of activity in the Town Square as the market gets ready and things are happening in the tent. Caught a glimpse of a jet engine through the flap and there is a lifeboat outside Victoria's tea rooms. Didn't hang about in case I was roped in!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast let us down yesterday, it turned out to be more overcast and wet than expected. It's dry and calm this morning so far. Glass is steady on 29.5" and the forecast is for a misty start but a clear day from about 09:00 onwards. A very light west wind and an expected high of 16C. With a bit of luck we should get a good view of the fly-over at 09:45 this morning. I hope so.....
07:15. We've had our walk and I'm happy to report that it's a perfect morning for the fly-over. Heavy dew, minimal mist and not a cloud in the sky. Could be a perfect view....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I couldn't see properly but I think I've just about demonstrated there were two. A wonderful sound!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry, cool and a scattering of cloud, another heavy dew. Glass is steady on 29.5" with a slight tendency to rise. Forecast is almost the same as yesterday but slightly more cloud. A light west wind, bright spells and an expected high of 16C. No change in sight at the moment.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

25C and windy today. We are all hunkering down tonight and expecting 100kpm winds and more rain. 18C and more showers tomorrow. We are getting what Perth has just had, they have had widespread damage and we are next in line.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Spectacular storm during the night down our way.

Perfectly sunny and warm whilst out and about this morning, but the wind is getting up again and local radio says we are in for another belting.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hope there was no damage you two! We can expect some winds towards the end of the month, the equinox usually blows the cobwebs off us! It's calm, dry, cool and overcast outside at the moment. Full moon last night in an almost clear sky. Glass is up again at 29.6". Forecast is almost the same as yesterday, light overcast, full sun for much of the day, light variable wind swinging round all points of the compass and an expected high of 16C. It's good, settled weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

:grin: I have tied the sun lounge to a pole, it being a lightweight item and the wind being rather strong. Just as well I did, as heavier chairs are moving across the balcony with the force of it.
A good day for ruining your hair-do. I now look like I've been dragged through a hedge backwards.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No comment! We've had our walk, an overcast but pleasant morning. Very noticeable that the leaf fall has started in earnest.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

LizG

Post by LizG »

The wind hit us last night and boy did it rain today. It still got to about 18 so not too bad but I think we are expecting more storms again tonight. But it is spring and that's the weather we always get in spring. Hubby always gets his boat out of the water for maintenance at this time of year because its too windy to sail.
Liz
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

One good thing about our huge downpour last night is that I was able to do some really easy weeding today. No resistance from the ground at all, they almost slid out. (is slid a word, oh well it is now! :) )
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A perfectly good word Cathy! Isn't it funny that sometimes when we write a word we sometimes look at it and it looks strange.
We have what looks like a re-run of yesterday. Clear, calm, dry and cool outside with a heavy dew. Glass is steady on 29.6". Forecast is for another sunny day with a light east wind and an expected high of 18C, a bit warmer than yesterday. If anything needs doing outside, go to it! All this could change later in the month. 105 days to Xmas......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

All calm here. Bit of a breeze, which is keeping things cooler than it has been and I find myself dressed in the strange combination of T-shirt and winter slippers...
May be 105 days until Christmas but Mince Pies and other Christmas items have been on supermarket shelves for a few weeks. No-one is the least bit interested in them.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've had our walk... Calm and dry with a heavy dew and mist in the bottoms. Glass is up slightly and almost on 29.7". Forecast is same as yesterday but perhaps a bit more cloud. Light east wind and a forecast high of 18C again. Noticeable how the flowers are dying back and the leaves are turning. One frost and a good wind and much of the blossom and foliage will be off and on the ground. Autumn is upon us!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another calm dry morning with a clear sky. Glass is up again at just over 29.7". Forecast is almost the same, but slightly more cloud. Gentle east wind, some sunny spells and an expected high of 17C. Still no change in sight..... Brilliant weather for gardeners and farmers.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Overcast, calm and mild. Getting boring isn't it! But this is settled weather and the high pressure that is giving us this is persistent. The change when it comes could be a bit of a shock, we are getting close to the season of equinoctial gales! Glass is up again at 29.8" as the HP slowly moves over us with nothing threatening in the Atlantic. Forecast bears all this out, exactly the same as yesterday, bright overcast, light east wind and an expected high, slightly lower due to the cloud, of 17C.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Rerun of yesterday. Overcast calm and mild at the moment. Glass is steady on 29.8" Forecast is same also but again, slightly heavier cloud and the east wind strengthens a bit during the day. Expected high of 16C. Slight chance of some rain on the wind in the late morning but nothing to worry about.
07:20. We're back from our walk. Another pleasant if overcast morning. I notice that the yahoos in Valley Gardens have broken the vandal resistant 'glass' on the Steam and Stream sign. What's going on it their tiny brains?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Stanley wrote:I notice that the yahoos in Valley Gardens have broken the vandal resistant 'glass' on the Steam and Stream sign. What's going on it their tiny brains?
May be more hormones than grey matter? Will report it...

On Friday evening, we had a good sized audience in for our film at the Rainhall Centre, mainly teens and tweens, some of who can be too boisterous for other cinema goers. Myself and another volunteer sat amongst them and ensured reasonable behaviour. About half an hour from the end of the film about a dozen left altogether (maybe 8.30pm was their curfew?). On their way out of the yard, some of the lads tipped the wheel bins over... what's that all about?

Last night's film, Noah, was a much more sedate affair with a more mature audience. (The film certainly had a sedative effect on me.) I suppose Biblical floods could be the link to the subject of this topic (having wandered from the straight and narrow), but I'll just mention that tonight's is A New York Winter's Tale...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever been nailed for vandalism on CCTV evidence?
Another rerun this morning. Glass is back at 29.6" but calm, misty and cool. Forecast is for a chance of a spatter of rain until 08:00 and then bright overcast all day. East wind is slightly lighter than yesterday and that's why the expected high is 17C. a degree higher than yesterday. Could be said to be boring weather but not bad for the time of the year.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've had our walk, very pleasant. Calm, dry, mild and overcast again. Glass is down again at 29.5". Forecast is bright overcast with a light East wind and an expected high of 18C. Only very slow change in prospect. A quiet September, no dramas!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another nice day yesterday, brighter in the afternoon. I note on the Shipping forecast this morning that pressure is gradually dropping in most sea areas. Glass is confirming this, it's dropped slightly to below 29.5". Forecast is same as yesterday, bright overcast, light east wind and an expected high of 17C.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We missed yesterday but the forecast was right, another calm pleasant day. Same this morning and noticeably mild. Glass is falling slowly, 29.4" this morning. Forecast is exactly the same, bright overcast, light east wind and an expected high of 18C. Calm settled weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Another "perfick" day here. Mother Duck and her Ducklings have wandered into the yard two or three times again today. The babies are growing ever so fast and I think they wear their mother out when they run in all directions.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

22C and sun for us tomorrow... Aaahh :smile:

Return to “Seasons”