Autumn 2014

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Autumn 2014

Post by Stanley »

Cathy, I love thunder and lightning! Here in Barlick we have a much calmer morning, dry and though the sky seems to be overcast at the moment (dark so it's bad to tell), it was clear and cold for most of the night. The glass is up again at 29.5", a hopeful sign. Forecast is for a mostly bright day until this afternoon and then an increased chance of a shower. Moderate west wind all day and an expected high of 10C.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cool, calm, dry and overcast at the moment in Barlick. Glass is down slightly at 20.4". Forecast is for a mostly wet day with a moderate SW breeze and an expected high of 14C. Not very cheery or exciting!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had a gloomy day yesterday with water falling out of the sky that varied from damping to mizzle and only got to drizzle in the early hours of this morning. It's drizzling now.... They say the Eskimo have scores of names for different types of snow, I think we do the same for rain! Glass is down again at 29.2". Forecast is for an overcast day with minimal chance of any sort of rain. A light west wind and an expected high of 11C. Looks a bit brighter than yesterday when it got dark early. I don't mind the weather but I miss the light!
Not a bad morning at 11:30. Sun is shining and it's quite mild. It was pointed out to me this morning that the clocks change at 2am on Sunday morning, they go back one hour so that means I get an improvement in the mornings for a week or two.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's dark and my eyes are bad but I can see a couple of stars so if there is any overcast it's light. The flags are dry and there is very little wind, a mild morning. Glass is up slightly heading for 29.4". Forecast is for a bright but partially overcast day with very little chance of rain and a moderate W/SW wind. Expected high of 12C. Not a bad day for the end of October and the clocks go back tonight!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We have had low 30's for the last few days. 33C tomorrow with possible rain and a thunderstorm. The lightning storm we had a few nights ago happened more north than us so we missed it... boohoo.

Have saved the pic from Bank Edge View (amongst many) showing an early October autumn morning in Barlick, the month of my birth. Nice to have. :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David captures some good images....
Overcast this morning and just damping. Glass is up a touch at 29.4". Forecast is for another overcast day with a chance of rain from 7 until 9. Same moderate West wind and an expected high of 13C. Not exciting but very consistent and acceptable weather as we slide towards November....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

As Stanley comments, grey today; no picture taking...
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Sat out on the deck after nightfall for two hours with son watching the most spectacular lightning display. Very exciting as it was on three sides of us. No thunder at all...
LizG

Post by LizG »

I think we had all your thunder over here. Big storm overnight and 25mm of rain. Very cold and windy here today.
Liz
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nothing exciting here like thunder and lightning. Very mild, dry, overcast and breezy outside at the moment. Glass is steady on 29.4". Forecast is for a pleasant, dry, bright overcast day with a brisk SW wind and an expected high of 15C. No complains! November starts on Saturday..... we are doing well!
07:10 and we are back from a very pleasant walk. Dry, mild and a warm breeze. Definitely good weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

The weather gods must have been listening when I complained about us missing out on the dry lightning storm a couple of nights ago because last night we had the biggest electrical storm Adelaide has had in years!! Over 3hrs we had about 80,000 lightning strikes across our state, 40,000 of them over Adelaide and our suburbs. Wow what an amazing show it was, and very noisy too. :smile: (I think last night will 'do' me for a while.)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry mild and windy out there at 4AM. Still like that now with scattered high level clouds. Glass is down to 29.1" and the forecast is for a bright blustery morning with a southerly wins. After noon the wind shifts to the NE and we have a good chance of rain until early evening. Expected high of 15C.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cool, dry and clear first thing with high wispy thin cloud in bands following the wind direction. Glass is almost up to 29.5", it looks as though we are getting close to the first frost of the season to me.... Forecast is for a dry bright overcast day with a moderate East wind and an expected high of only 9C. Late in the evening the wind will shift into the SE and we can expect some rain.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Looked like the first frost of the year on the grass near us this morning.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Definitely a bit of frost around this morning.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

25C today, blue skies and whispy white clouds... perfec!
28C for Thursday.

I'll be going then shall I? :cool4:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes, a white frost on the grass and car windscreens. On the whole a much nicer day than the forecast suggested. Full sun outside and people sat out in the Town Square enjoying it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Raining hard at 04:00 this morning. Still raining but not as hard. Glass is down slightly at 29.4". Forecast is for a warmer day with high chance of rain until about 09:00 and dry overcast after that. Less wind and later today it swings to the SE. Expected high of 15C.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry out there this morning, no stars and a very mild breeze. Glass is just below 29.4". Forecast is for a dry overcast day with a steady, moderate, south wind.Expected high of 17C! Very warm for the last day of October.
08:30. We've had our walk down to the butcher's and it is very mild. The sky is grey and it looks and feels like a bit of rain could be about but the forecast says otherwise.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wet out there first thing this morning. Glass is down at 29.1" but I've just poked my head out of the door and it's stopped raining. Forecast is for a bright day until about 18:00 with a moderate southerly wind and an expected high of 12C. First day of November!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a dry evening last night but got very windy at about 21:00. A dry morning with an almost clear sky, still quite windy but not cold. Glass is down again at 28.9". Forecast is for a dry, bright day with a blustery breeze out of the south. The expected high is 11C but this could be the last 'warm' day we see for a while. Expect single figures for the rest of the week and perhaps some night frosts. We've had a good run so far with the warmest October for many years. It couldn't last forever, this is after all the cruel month of November.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Yesterday we had 19C, it was a bit nippy actually. Today 22C and just right, did a bit of gardening clipping, and got 3 loads of washing dry. Tomorrow we have mid to high 20's. Ah S p r i n g. :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

19C a bit nippy Cathy! I wish! It's cold and raining at the moment. Glass is down at 28.5". Not surprising as we are directly under a low pressure system that came down from the North of Scotland and will be overhead for most of the day. Snow on the mountains in Scotland today or tomorrow.... Forecast is for rain until about 08:00, then clear and bright until early evening when rain comes in again. There is a steady southerly wind but this does nothing for the temperature which is about 8C now and drops steadily all day to 6C this evening. A typical November day I think.
Later at 07:00. Light enough to go out for a walk and thankfully the sky has cleared and the rain stopped. It looks as though the rain band is moving faster than the forecast suggested. There is a breeze and it's definitely chilly, colder than they said I think. No such thing as bad weather, just inadequate clothing so we shall wrap up warm.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 04:00 this morning it was cold and mizzling, it's dry now with very little wind. The glass has not moved much, just above 28.5". The forecast is for a dry bright day with a light wind that will be in the North by late morning. The high is expected to be 8C but it's colder than that at the moment.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cold, dry and very little wind this morning. Glass is rising strongly, up at 29". To me this signals frost! Forecast is agreeing with me, a bright cold day with a gentle North wind, an expected high of 8C if we are lucky but from 18:00 tonight the temperature starts to fall rapidly. Proper November weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”