Autumn 2014

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Autumn 2014

Post by PanBiker »

Set up slightly earlier but the Autumn Equinox will occur the next time the clock passes 02.29. Summer is officially over, enjoy the Autumn.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Autumn 2014

Post by Stanley »

I woke this morning at 02:29..... Clear sky and cool last night, too dark to see but I think there is overcast this morning. Glass is moving back and almost down to 29.5". Forecast is for a dry overcast day till noon and a good chance of rain after that. Light west wind all day. Expected high of 15C.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
LizG

Post by LizG »

A beautiful balmy 25 today in Melbourne. It's starting to feel like spring, but we have missed out on most of the rain we would normally have at this time of year. It looks as though we might be heading back into drought conditiions again.
Liz
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It'll be raining here after dinner Liz. I have to report that I've taken a serious step and put a tee shirt on under my shirt....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Ventured out in public wearing shorts and T-shirt today...legs a bit on the white side, but I tan fairly quickly. Walked along the beach...sand was lovely and warm so I was tempted to have a paddle...but the water was on the cool side. Can't wait to have a swim. Another 10 degreesC and I will be in the water. Hubby won't go in unless the water is bath temperature, so he can watch out for sharks from the shore...
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Heavy showers this evening over in Nelson, but seems a bit dryer now. Milder temperatures tonight I would think. Better day tomorrow, hopefully. But it certainly is strange weather for late September :confused:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Strange weather? I don't think so Ray, dead on schedule for the season. Watch for wind soon and then first frosts in October.
Overcast damp night, no weight of rain but enough to refresh the gardens and grass. Glass has fallen again to 29.2". Forecast is for a bright day at times as the overcast breaks up this morning. Moderate west wind tending to NW at times which explains why the expected high is only 14C. It's falling steadily as we move further into the year. No rain forecast....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

It is only just the end of Summer despite what the weather men would like us to believe. They have had us already in Autumn for well over a month. I would rather rely on our transit around our star to determine the seasons. What we are experiencing now seems to me to be a reasonably quiet end to a rather good Summer and a mild welcoming to our Autumn. Bring it on and dress according to the conditions, no such thing as bad weather only weather, "get yourself a raincoat" (wise words Billy). :grin:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Quite right Ian, a gentle transition. Clear night last night again and cool enough to kick the heating in at low level this morning. A bit more wind than of late but dry. Yesterday was nice, here's a pic I did through the kitchen window at 16:00.

Not the most stunning pic of all time but just what we want to see at this time of year. Glass is up slightly overnight, almost back at 29.5". Forecast is for a gloomy day with a chance of rain almost any time with a moderate west wind. Expected high of 15C.
08:30. We're back from our walk. Overcast and a hint of mizzle in the air colouring the pavement. But not wet. Good weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

You might well be right about that Stanley. The weather forcaster on TV said "nothing unusual at the moment". Very damp and drizzely tonight, mist on the hills, but very muggy.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mild overcast morning with less wind than last evening. Glass is steady just below 29.5". Forecast is for a chance of rain until 10:00 then clearing to a sunny day with moderate west wind. Expected high of 15C.
Met Office have reported that the first half of September was the driest since 1960.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Dropped the car off, at Vicarage Motors, for a service this morning and had a walk home. The odd bit of drizzle but, on the whole, not a bad morning.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Feels milder than they forecast as well, or am I having a hot flush?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote:Feels milder than they forecast as well, or am I having a hot flush?
I must have been having one too, had to take my hat off coming up Wellhouse Road :grin:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Oh Dear Kev! You might be joining my club!
Crystal clear sky at 4AM, stars blazing. Glass is up, almost at 29.7". Forecast is for a bright overcast day, light east wind giving way to a similar westerly, no sign of showers and an expected high of 15C.
07:45. Back from our walk and shopping. Chilly and clearer than the forecast suggested, Could be more sun than they said.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Our temp reached 31C today, Sunday will be cooler at 29C (haha - these weathermen think they are funny!)
We've been told to expect 'to wake up' to 100kph winds early in the morning (6am) and things should get a bit wild... think I'll pass. :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was brighter than the forecast suggested. Overcast during the night and this morning but calm and not cold. Glass is back slightly, just below 29.6". Forecast is for an overcast day but dry, light east wind reverses to light westerly later, almost calm. Expected high is 17C. Very quiet weather. Same all round the coast according to the shipping forecast.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yet another mild overcast morning. Glass is back slightly at just above 29.5". Forecast is for a bright overcast day with a very light, variable wind that boxes the compass. Expected high of 18C. Nothing to complain about!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 5AM this morning it was clear, calm and mild. Jack and I have just had our walk and apart from the fact we now have high broken cloud, nothing has changed A pleasant morning for the last day in September. The glass hasn't moved, rock steady just below 29.5" so no sign of trouble there. The forecast is for a bright overcast day until evening when there is a chance of some rain. The wind will swing into a generally southern direction and increase slowly all day. Expected high of 17C. The Met Office announce that September was the driest on record since records began in 1910. The weather is being kind to us.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've3 had our walk on another pleasant but overcast morning. Light drizzle at 04:00 but dry now. Glass is steady where it was all yesterday. Just over 29". Forecast is for a slightly cooler overcast day with a light West wind and an expected high of 15C. First day of October... not bad.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear sky at 21:00 last night, some stars still visible this morning and a heavy dew. Down below 5C at the moment, probably the lowest night temperature this back end. Glass is noticeably higher at 29.9". Forecast is for a bright overcast day with a light wind varying from East, through South to SW later. Expected high of 14C. A nice but cooler day.... It's October!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear night and morning with just a touch more wind. Glass is back to 29.5". Forecast is for a bright overcast day with more wind than we have been having from SW. Expected high of 17C because of the warmer wind.
Well, I keep going on about the equinoctial gales, they have arrived in Western Ireland and Scotland with 60/70mph winds and heavy rain. This low pressure will reach us tomorrow so watch out for more wind and possibly some heavy rain. One thing I have noted over the years is that, particularly in Western Scotland, the first of these gales is often followed by a bright sunny spell of weather so there is hope yet!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Lovely day today, very pleasant, I think it was 22C (not sure) but some days are like that, you're just enjoying them and don't think about the temperature.
Heating up for the weekend tho to low 30's, we are all going to feel it I'm sure. Cool change on Monday, and it's a Public Holiday for us. :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear night and a breezy morning, mild and dry so far but it's raining in the west and heading this way. Glass is back to 29", a very big fall over the last two days. Forecast is for rain to start about now and continue all day. Wind is SW and gusting to 30mph, it will veer to the west during the day and slacken. Expected high of 13 C, most of that down to the warm wind. So wet and windy! Shipping forecast gives gale warnings in sea areas to the west.
07:00. Too dark to go out yet and the rain has arrived. Falling quite heavily, it will be full wet weather gear for our walk and an early bath for Jack!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We got off lightly yesterday, it was never as wet as forecast. Sky had cleared by 19:30 last night and it's clear this morning at 4AM, it's clouded over now and there is a hint of rain in the air. Glass is up again at 29.5" and the forecast is for a bright overcast day, little chance of rain, a light variable wind that settles in the east and an expected high of 13C.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”