Autumn 2014

Marilyn
VIP Member

Re: Autumn 2014

Post by Marilyn »

Luvvvvvally day where we are Cazza. I wonder if we will get the late rain/storm. No sign of it as I scan the horizon...just blue skies as far as the eye can see.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Blue skies.... a distant memory at the moment Maz. Janet and Bob will be over here in three weeks in their cottage in Derbyshire and Janet says she is looking forward to dark mornings, early darkness in the afternoon and sitting round the stove. Each to his own but I will be glad to see some light again!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cool, dry and calm out there this morning. Glass is up slightly again, at just over 29.5". It signals colder weather to me and perhaps we're getting towards our first real frost of the winter. Let's have a look at what the Met Office has to say.... Forecast is for a bright overcast day with a light west wind, no sign of rain and an expected high of 7C. I can't remember a kinder November, no wind and cold rain, no frost and no snow, all of which are possible of course. They are talking about frost in some parts of the UK this morning but no sign here yet.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry clear and cold out there this morning, some scattered cloud and no frost as yet which is surprising. (My test is the car windscreens....) Glass is up slightly again at almost 29.6". Forecast says the temperature will keep dropping until perhaps 09:00 so we may yet have a white frost. It is to be a bright overcast day with no sign of rain until late tonight, a very gentle east wind all day and an expected high of 6C. Looks like another good walking day for the rabid wing of the Ramblers! Wonderful November weather so far.....
09:00. We've had our walk and done our cooking. Time for the shed. A lovely morning out there but no frost down here. I'll bet Wendy had one! I know I keep banging on about it but what a wonderful November! Winter has been shortened by a month compared to some years I can remember!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cold and wet at 04:00, not much wind but plenty of rain. Just had a peek and it hasn't changed... Glass is down to 29.3". Forecast is gloomy, good chance of rain all day, gentle east wind and an expected high of only 6C. Good day for being inside. My thoughts go out to those who have to work outside in weather like this, miserable....

11:30. We have had our two walks, first one this morning was wet but the day has turned out better than the forecast suggested.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry, calm, cool and overcast out there this morning. Glass down slightly again at 29". Forecast is for a slight chance of a light shower around now and again at dinnertime. Misty morning, light east wind all day and an expected high of 7C. Nothing exciting. Good!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mild, calm, overcast and slightly damp out there this morning. Glass is steady on 29". Forecast is for a murky day, never dry but very little chance of significant rain. a constant light east wind and an expected high of 9C. We are sandwiched between two opposing weather systems at the moment and that explains why everything is so static. Question is, which system will win in the end? We're almost into December with no sever weather.... wonderful!
09:00. Not an unpleasant walk down to the Butcher's but I've just been out into the yard and the security light came on. It is getting more gloomy not lighter! Darker now than it was an hour ago....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

we had 30C today, 34C for Saturday and 32C for Sunday, not good temps for standing in the sun. It's been quite humid. 8pm now and still light.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Brisburn in Oz has had a violent storm, hail as big as tennis balls, strong winds, houses losing their roof etc. - not what they expect in Spring.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Barlick is calm, dry and mild. Glass is up slightly at almost 29.1". We are evidently still the filling in the sandwich between the two big systems to the North and South. Forecast is for a mainly dry, overcast day. Slight chance of a light shower around now and later this evening. Decreasi9ng east wind and an expected high of 9C. Nothing to complain about on the penultimate day of November!
07@45. We had our walk in the dark. Glad I had my brilliant little new torch (£4 from Shambles) that is far better than the one I had before. If there is a worse combination than a black dog on a dark morning and a half blind Old Fart I don't know it! As yesterday, the birds were singing their hearts out just as sawn was breaking. The weather is being kind to them as well....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We have been in the clouds for the last few days, its cold, wet, dark and there is a strong Easterly wind blowing.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's a different world at Black Lane Ends.....
This morning is mild and damp. Glass is up slightly at just over 29.1". Forecast is for an overcast day with the sun poking through in the morning. No sign of rain. Expected high of 9C. The wind has swung into the west but during the day will move into the north and end up in the east again. We are evidently still in the neutral zone between the two systems. Not bad for the last day of November!
07:40. Much lighter this morning as the sky has cleared. Very calm and a pleasant morning for a walk but nobody about, none of Jack's mates are up yet! Wonderful weather, I think we will find that November has beaten yet another record.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday, the last day of November was a lovely day in Barlick with plenty of sun. This morning it's dry, mild and overcast. Glass is up again and almost at 29.4", looks to me as though we are moving into a dry cold spell. The forecast is for an overcast day with a small chance of a shower almost any time. The light east wind will veer round via the south during the day and end up in the west, never more than a light breeze. Expected high is 7C. A very gentle introduction to December....
11:00. Back from our second walk. It's a lovely day out there. Bright overcast, a gentle mild breeze and the birds are singing their hearts out.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another dry, calm overcast morning. Not cold. Glass is up again on its way to 29.5". Forecast is for a bright overcast day, no rain in sight, gentle north wind and a frost tonight. Expected high of 5C. Outlook is slowly getting colder.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A dry bright day yesterday and it was freezing hard under a clear sky by 20:00. Glass is up again at just over 29.6". Forecast is for a dry, bright day with a very light north or east wind and an expected high (if we are lucky) of 3C. The reality is that it will be freezing all day and even harder tonight. This is more like December weather but it's healthy and we can stand this as long as nothing falls out of the sky! The east wind later is a hopeful sign, it's usually a dry quarter in Barlick.
Have a look at THIS BBC report on the year. It's quite astounding. If December behaves itself 2014 is going to be the hottest year recorded in the last 250 years. I've been saying all year that I can't remember better weather and it looks as though I was right. The main thing about to me has not been the heat, for instance, in Barlick we never had the extreme temperatures recorded in other parts of the country. It has been how well-behaved and timely it has been. No harsh weather at the end of winter, no frosts or adverse winds in Spring and a lovely temperate summer with no extremes. The start of winter has been very slow, last night was our first proper frost. I hope we can go on like this, it's the extreme weather events that cause the trouble and up to now we haven't had any. Wonderful.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

38 years ago at this date in 1976 the weather was considerably cooler. We had had a hard frost for the best part of two weeks. I remember going to Carelton church 10 days before for our wedding run through, the vicar wanted a practice as we were his first wedding. He turned up in full on winter woollies with walking boots, duffle coat and fingerless mittens. When we ran through the service he managed to get Sally's name wrong calling her Nancy! I think he was more nervous than we were.

Came the day (4th December) everything was frozen solid, all the trees were white and the walls thick with frost. Heating had been on for a week in the church with little impact and we could see our words and vows on our breath. When the bells were ringing the local kids had tied up the church gates for our exit, they needn't have bothered they were frozen shut anyway. We paid our dues to make our escape to the reception. I look terrified on the outside photo's but was actually frozen stiff!
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not as cold this morning, slight overcast. Glass is dropping and is just below 29.5". Forecast is for a misty, overcast day with a very light east wind, no rain and an expected high of 3C.
07:43. We've had our walk and surprisingly it's mizzling and in the lower parts of the town it is freezing as it hits the ground. Not a cheerful day at the moment....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Good story Ian. Looks like you have 2C at the moment, heading for 5C today. We had 25C today and a lovely day it was.
Sending sunshine ... :sunny3: :sunny3: :sunny3:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Thanks Cathy, it's a topcoat warmer today as they say and certainly so compared to 1976. Thanks for the sunshine. :grin:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As yesterday, a light mizzle out of an overcast sky, no frost as yet. Glass is down a bit to 29.4". Forecast is a mixed picture. Chance of a light shower in next hour or so and again in the early afternoon. In between we have light overcast and clear sky mid morning giving some sunny spells. Wind is a light westerly all day. Expected high of 4C. Not a bad day for early December. I note that the Philippines are braced for another super typhoon like last year.... Lots to be said for a temperate northern maritime climate!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've had a very bracing walk round the town in a hard frost. Nips at your ears but as my mother used to say, healthy weather. Glass is up sharply and heading for 29.7". Forecast is for a mixed day. At the moment the light wind is in the north but after a bit of veering about it will settle in the SW. As it does the temperature will rise marginally and we may have an occasional shower. This evening the SW wind brings in rain. The average temperature for the day is 5C but by late this evening will have risen to 7C.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Just begun drizzling here - blocking out the view of Burnley.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Same here Moh and a wet night. Windy and sheets of drizzle blowing down the back street under the street lamps this morning. Glass is below 29.1" so that figures. Forecast is for a cold wet day with a brisk westerly wind. Average temperature will be 5C but after dinner it starts to drop and there is a good chance that it could become sleet or snow at our level. Wendy could have her first clap of snow of the season.... December weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Just had a light snow shower - now it is sunshining!!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There must have been a lot of rain on Saturday night, Butts Beck was running a banker yesterday. Pavements were icy yesterday morning. I never saw any snow last night, just horrible cold rain. We still have it this morning. Glass is trying to rise, it's just over 29.1". Forecast is for a very cold day, good chance of rain until noon. The moderate west wind will slacken this evening and it will get colder under clear skies so a frost. There is a high probability that the rain this morning could freeze as it hits the ground in some places. Glad I'm not driving.... The high will be around noon and could be 4C. A good shed day!
Later forecasts indicate that we can expect some big winds over the next seven days. There is a very powerful jet stream building over the Atlantic and it looks as though it could get a bit rough.
07:50. Back from our walk. It's bitter out there. I made the decision this morning that it's time the Crombie came out of the wardrobe for its winter airing.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”