Autumn 2014

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Autumn 2014

Post by Stanley »

Clear skies and a hard frost this morning with only a light wind. However, the Shipping Forecast this morning reveals the true weather picture. In Northern waters Storm Force ten is almost universal at some time today. This system is moving south and while we might escape it today, we are going to get a wintry blast for the rest of the week. The glass is just over 29.5" and the forecast is for dry overcast until later in the morning but as the SW wind rises the rain will come in and for a while the temperature will rise but then drop quickly overnight. The average high temperature today will be 5C but it's going to feel a lot colder. We're in for a rough week and as it calms down and dries up towards weekend it will get much colder.

08:20. \dry out there but icy underfoot. Very cold! This was the right morning to admit winter was upon us and go into the Crombie. I washed the Hogg summer coat yesterday and once more marvelled at the way it scrubs up every year. I think it cost me about £40 some 15 years ago and though expensive at the time has proved to be a good investment. Once dry it will go back into the cupboard until Spring....

11:30. We've just had our second walk. No rain as yet but it's clouding over, the wind is getting up and it is certainly cold enough for snow....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

That wind is bitterly cold - goes right through you.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree Moh, good day for the Crombie! (By the way, the company is no more, it deteriorated after a take-over and the buyer has now gone bust so no more proper Crombie overcoats ever....) It was cold enough for snow but never quite got there, just hard very cold rain. Glass is down at 29" as a low sweeps over us. Cold blustery west wind but it isn't raining at the moment. Forecast is for a blustery overcast day, a stiff west wind and a good chance of rain at any time. Expected high of 5C but it will feel colder than that all day. Think of anyone having to work outside this weather......

08:10. We've had our walk and been to the Cathedral of Choice for our festive milk. No rain while we were around the town but it's started now and it's falling as ice crystals at the moment, not snow, small pieces of ice. I remember days like this when I was picking milk up round the farms, a bloke once told me on a hot summer's day that I had the best job in the world, I told him to come back and try it in winter.... Anyone who has to be out in it has my sympathy.
News that Northern Scotland is having force 11 westerly winds, very bad sea conditions and closure of all schools, libraries and museums. Some of this will leak south during the day....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was windy wet and nasty. The wind has dropped this morning but it's still wet and cold out there. Glass is on 28.9". Forecast is for another cold wet day. Chance of icy roads until mid morning when the rain comes in again and could fall as snow. Steady brisk westerly winds and an expected high of 4C but again, it will feel colder. Another nasty day!
08:00. We've had our morning walk in good time, not much point in waiting for daylight at this time of the year. Blustery cold wind but dry at the moment. The forecast says this will change around 10:00. I shall have my second walk earlier as well. Only one place for old farts like me this weather once exercise has been taken, keeping warm indoors!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Julie in Norfolk
Regular User

Post by Julie in Norfolk »

Grey sky here, weak, silvery sunlight trying to filter through. Day 2 of Super High Intensity Training for Honey who has up to this point just been a rascal of a dog. Sam blunders on, happy to be directed on a lead now he has no sight.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil, cut with an axe.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Jules.... Jack and I have just been out for our last serious emptying of the day. We got caught in a hail shower. Broken cloud scudding across the sky from the west, a very brisk and cold West wind and I suspect everything which falls on us today will be white and frozen. It's a wintry day.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

I was woken up at 3.20am with hailstones rattling on the windows - must have been big ones. I expected to see a white world this morning, but just miserable and very windy.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Same here Moh. Big flakes of wet snow falling as I write. Glass is down to 28.4". Forecast is for a lull in the chance of snow for a couple of hours then more mid-morning. Lighter west wind all day and temperature never rising above 2C. A frost tonight. What you might call wintry. I'll bet Wendy is in a winter wonderland....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Almost hate to tell you how lovely it is here...blue skies and about 26C where I am.
Front door open, lovely breeze wafting in...
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Just half an inch or so of snow this morning. :smile:
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

30C where I am, 7.30pm with lots of light left and I too have my doors and windows open. Sending you all lots of warmth and sunshine.

Have any of you looked ahead to see if you are having a White Christmas??
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Glad to here you are OK Wendy. It's freezing hard here at the moment. As we walked back from the butcher's the wet pavements were winking like diamonds. The forecast still gives a high probability of more rain/snow in the next couple of hours and more later this afternoon perhaps. I'm baking bread and cooking braised steak for later. I need fuel this weather!
Maz, I suppose you're on summer salads and long cool drinks. Janet flies out from Perth on Monday and it looks as though her wish for cold weather so she can huddle over the stove in her Derbyshire cottage is going to be fulfilled!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David's pic on Bank Edge View sums yesterday up I think. This morning it's clear, calm and a hard frost. Glass is back up at 29", it started to rise at about 07:00 yesterday. Forecast is for a dry, calm and frosty day until mid afternoon when the light west wind will strengthen and there is a good chance of rain/snow for the rest of the day. The frost gets harder until the wind gets up and the best we can hope for is about 2C without the wind chill. Outlook for Sunday is a bit warmer but much more rain and wind.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We'll take care how you go, and no falls please...especially you Moh!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think we will Maz. We've just got back from our morning walk and I have to take issue with the Met forecast. It's much clearer and colder than they forecast, almost calm, sky a perfectly clear deep, dark blue and I reckon it's about -5C. All surfaces that were wet yesterday are shot ice, very bad underfoot. 19C in the kitchen and 10C in the shed even though the door has been open from the kitchen for an hour. It's a cold morning and if anything falls out of the sky this afternoon I can't see it being anything but snow... Winter Weather. (But, as my mother used to say, "It's healthy!")
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Julie in Norfolk
Regular User

Post by Julie in Norfolk »

Clear blue sky here, frost on the ground, temperature below zero (just). someone is forecasting a winter like we haven't seen for 50 years. In my memory that makes the world black and white, (black skies and white snow and icicles) I shall have to go back to primary school.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil, cut with an axe.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Jack and I have just come back from our late walk. Still freezing hard out there and bad underfoot on the pavements. One thing that strikes me is that in the good old days when grit was spread far more evilly than it is now, plenty bounced up onto the footpaths and did a good job there. The modern way is to spread just sufficient to make the road safe and in consequence the poor pedestrian (who pays council tax as well) gets no benefit. As far as rain/snow, the sky is still bright but increasing amounts of cloud are coming in from the west. Time will tell what that brings us later in the afternoon.
Jules, I heard that report as well. I lifted this from the BBC news page:

"Perfect conditions?
After a week of wild conditions - featuring "weather bomb" gales and "thundersnow" - the Sun takes the opportunity to explain some of the more baffling meteorological terms, such as sundogs, haboobs and supercells.
And wintry weather makes the Daily Star's front page, which quotes forecasters predicting the "coldest winter in half a century" starting this weekend with temperatures "lower than at the North Pole".
The Times agrees that Britain is freezing, with thermometers expected to give readings as low as -8C (17.6F), but chooses a different location as a marker, declaring the UK "colder than Lapland".
The Daily Express renames the country "Brrrr...itain", while the Telegraph warns of "floods, ice and delays" to road and rail journeys. Regardless of snow and ice, stargazers are hopeful of a clear sky overnight, as the Geminids meteor shower reaches its peak at 02:00 GMT on Sunday, reports the Independent. It quotes Society of Popular Astronomy vice-president Robin Scagell saying: "We might not be far off perfect conditions in the UK."
Looking further ahead, the Mirror says things won't be much warmer over the new year, when an "Arctic blast" will "cling to our shores for four long weeks". It casts its eye back to the 1963 "Big Freeze" when the sea turned to ice, and pictures a pedestrian and cyclist on the Thames."
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No snow yesterday. Misty and a bit of cold mizzle out there this morning but you can see the moon so it's not overcast. Glass is steady on 29". Forecast is for a chance of rain all day until this evening, a brisk SW wind will raise temperature to a high of 7C but it will feel colder.
Listening to the shipping forecast and there are hurricane force winds blowing in the waters to the NW of Scotland. Worth remembering there are fishing boats out there working for us.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Damp cool and calm out there this morning. It's interesting listening to the Shipping Forecast this morning because it's a good illustration of just how important our old friend the Jet Stream is. If you remember last December, we were getting a succession of big storms coming in and hitting us from the SW. This is exactly what is happening at the moment but the Jet Stream is on a more Northerly track and so it is the North of Scotland that is getting the full force and so no headlines.... 50ft waves hitting the west coast of Scotland are not big news in London.... At the moment there's a very deep low 400 miles north of Cape Wrath (28") tracking slowly across towards Norway. Storm force winds in all northern areas and right down the North Sea as far as the Channel. However, we are escaping the worst of it because of more settled weather to the south. The glass dropped a bit during the night but is back up at 29". The forecast is for a mainly bright overcast day with a small chance of an occasional shower and an expected high of 5C. Moderate west wind all day.

07:45. We've had our walk, the coal is in, the cooking is on the stove in the front room and I shall be in the shed before long... Pleasant walk considering the time of year, almost calm, dry and not too cold. I look forward to the equinox when we can climb back into some daylight!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cool , dry and reasonably calm outside this morning. Shipping forecast full of gales again but we are getting way very lightly. Glass is up slightly during the night to just over 20" as the Icelandic low slips away to the East and Norway. The forecast is for a dry bright day until this evening with a light west wind and an expected high of 5C.
07:59. We had our walk and were surprised by a cold light shower that felt almost like sleet. Nothing serious but it was a raw cold despite the reported 5C temperature. Never mind, things could be worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wet and mild out there this morning. Glass is down at 28.9". Forecast is that the moderate west wind will bring mild air in all day. Plenty of rain showers and the temperature will rise to 10C tonight. A complete change of weather and very warm for December.
08:30. Back from our walk, not raining but very mild.... Topcoat warmer than yesterday.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Windy, wet and even milder this morning, quite extraordinary! It's not far off 19C out there. Glass is steady on 28.9" so no change in prospect as yet. Forecast is for rain all day brought in on a stronger west wind. Expected high of 11C . Much colder tomorrow, the temperature will start dropping this evening as the wind moderates.

08:00. Back from our walk and it's windy, mizzling and very mild....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

My searching says Barlick will have 4C with light rain on Christmas Day, does that sound right?

We are having 21C and cloudy. (Sounds civilized to me :grin: :grin: )
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Glad were going to be inside for Carla's wedding!
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I don't think it ever stopped raining yesterday.... if it did, I missed it! Top coat colder and dry out there this morning, sky as clear as a bell.... Glass is up slightly to 29". Forecast is for a slightly better day but reverting to rain around mid morning, moderate west wind and an expected high of 5C.
4C and rain on Xmas Day sounds about right to me Cathy.....
Later, after our walk down to the butcher's. Definitely a topcoat colder! Enough to make your eyes water when walking into the wind.... Still, at least it's dry up to now!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”