Autumn 2014

Cathy
VIP Member

Re: Autumn 2014

Post by Cathy »

The sizzle factor is rising... 27C for Thursday and 37C for Friday. :sad:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

A bit nippier than yesterday (we went up to caravan and it was warm enough to sit out on the decking!) but a lovely bright Autumn day.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lots of people taking the sun in Barlick as well Moh but all well wrapped up! Very cold this morning, dry and still, can't see the sky yet! It must be a white frost. Glass is steady on 29" but there is a band of rain moving slowly in across Ireland and SW Scotland, no doubt it will reach us later. Met forecast is for overcast until about 13:00 and then a good chance of rain. The wind will be quite strong from the South and the expected high is 8C but with the wind chill this will feel like nearer 2C.
07:50, Just popped back in with an update. I was wrong about the frost, the cloud cover and the brisk wind have kept it off. Still chilly though but OK as long as you keep moving!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Spring scorcher for tomorrow with 39/40C. They say it will be the hottest temp ever recorded in November. Catastrophic fire danger conditions are warned. Good news is that we should have a cool change coming thru overnight on Saturday morning.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You need the cold rain we have this morning Cathy. Glass is down to almost 28.4", signals rain but when it drops fast like this it usually recovers quickly as well. Forecast is for rain all day, the southerly winds swing into the west later in the morning and strengthen to a moderate breeze, the temperature will drop from a high of 11C to about 8C by evening. Not much sitting out in the Square today!
08:50. The forecast was dead right! Jack had an early bath and despite my Barbour jacket my knees haven't dried out yet. Cold rain and a leaden sky....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It rained heavy cold rain all night but by 04:00 the flags were drying the sky was clear and there was a brilliant full moon. The glass has risen to 28.7". The forecast is for it to be dry until about 10@00, then a good chance of rain until early evening. A moderate breeze from the south and an expected high of 10C
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry and calm with a clear sky and a big moon. Glass is up slightly heading for 29". Forecast is good for Remembrance Sunday, dry, bright with a light southerly wind and an expected high of 8C.
07:50. Back from a pleasant November walk, Calm, dry and it looks good for the Cenotaph ceremonies in the district. Good!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Same as yesterday, dry calm and dry night with a clear sky and bright moon. Glass is steady at just below 29" and the forecast is a re-run of yesterday, bright overcast with a light southerly wind, dry and an expected high of 8C. We're escaping frost at the moment but I expect this to change soon. Still, let's enjoy the calm pleasant weather while we can. Ideal walking weather!
08:15. We've had another pleasant walk round the town. No complaints about this weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Close to home today I saw a long line of smoke coming up from a valley in our hills. No reports on the news, so hopefully it was just controlled burn-off. Too close though. 26C today and 30C for Tuesday.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The moors are too wet to burn here Cathy! Light rain and a breeze under a cloudy sky at 05:00. Glass is down to 28.7". Forecast is for an overcast but mainly dry day until early evening. Perhaps the chance of light rain in the early afternoon. Wind is a brisk SE breeze for most of the day and an expected high of 10C.
08:30. We've had a pleasant dry walk. Heavy overcast but at the moment no rain in the air. Things could be a lot worse.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cool and wet out there this morning, a light drizzle at the moment. Glass is down at 28.5". Forecast is for an overcast day with occasional bright periods and an increased chance of significant rain from 11:00 to 14:00. Moderate SE wind all day and an expected high of 11C. it's November!
08:00. Back in the hutch after a dry walk on a very mild morning for the time of the year. No complaints at all about this weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was clear, dry and mild at 04:00. Still dry but from what I can see the sky is overcast. The glass is hunting about and is on almost 29". The forecast is for a dry bright overcast day until late afternoon and evening when we can expect rain. The wind is from the SE and will gradually increase to a moderate breeze later. Expected high of 11C. Out look seems to be dryer and colder for the next few days.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

It's been 38C today, quite oppressive. This afternoon we had an hour of high winds and the temp dropped to 30C.
Friday should be a civilised 26C.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We're getting a bit more wind as well Cathy. Dry, overcast, mild and breezy this morning out there. Glass is down to 28.7". Forecast is for a high probability of rain from 05:00 to 13:00 but clearing up after that and coming brighter. The ESE wind will increase with the rain but start to abate after 13:00. Expected high of 10C in the rain and then cooling off after that.
08:45. Despite the lousy forecast we had a dry walk down to the butcher's and back. The main feature of the weather this morning however is that at almost 09:00 it's still dark! The overcast must be very thick but at the moment not dropping any rain on us. I hate these dark mornings and roll on the gradual climb back into the light!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

After very heavy rain this morning it is lovely now with blue sky & sunshine.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It cleared up here as well Moh, nice to see some light! Very clear last night, mist rising now and a very heavy dew. Glass is up at 28.7". Forecast is not good. Mist and fog possibly with rain mid day, a very light east wind and an expected high of only 7C. Another November day!
08:00. Back from our walk on a chilly, calm morning with mist about. No complaints, we are half way through November and we haven't had any cold weather! Think back to how bad the month can be.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Murky, calm and damp this morning. Glass is struggling up slightly, almost on 29". Forecast is for another overcast day with a light breeze that starts off in the East but is in the North later on. Chance of rain this evening and an expected high of 9C. Another typical quiet November day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There were some light showers yesterday evening but this morning it's dry, calm and relatively mild. As far as I can see there is a light overcast. Glass is rising and almost at 29.2". Forecast is for an overcast day with perhaps some brightness around noon which could give us an expected high of 10C. There will be a steady, light East wind all day. It's very quiet weather, no signs of imminent cold spells or even frosts. Amazingly good weather for November.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A rerun of yesterday out there this morning, calm, dry and overcast. Glass is up again, almost to 29.5". Forecast is exactly the same, dry, overcast, light east wind and an expected high of 9C. Good November weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Same as yesterday out there. Only cloud on the horizon is news from the US about a massive snow storm heading down out of Canada towards NY and the East Coast. Straight falls of up to two meters. Very often this pattern is a precursor to our weather three or four days later. Glass is up again at 29.6". Forecast is for a bright overcast day, dry with a slightly lighter East wind all day and an expected high of 8C. Is something brewing up out there to the west? Make sure you have supplies in Wendy, better safe than sorry!
07:00. I have been waiting for it to come light before going out for our morning walk but I have had to bite the bullet, put a torch in my pocket for poo finding and stumble round in the dark. A cool, calm dry morning. Good weather for the end of November but watch that snow in the US.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Always well stocked with supplies here Stanley. We must have enough food to last us a year or two (especially if I could get fresh milk from next door) and a stack of hay in the barn. Bring it on! :grin:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good Lass! I always have a 28lb bag of dried peas and one of medium oatmeal about my person.... I have full store cupboards as well and plenty of toilet rolls! It's the way I was brought up. I spoke to Martha in Minnesota and she says they have very little snow but unseasonably low temperatures. She said that 44 states are reporting record weather events.
Damp and calm out there this morning, not actually raining bot there has been Mizzle. Glass is back slightly at 29.5". Forecast is For dry, bright overcast until after dinner and rain for the rest of the day. There will be a steady chilly East wind and an expected high of only 7C. In case you hadn't noticed the temperature is gradually dropping but even so it's been a very kind November so far.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think it has rained almost continuously since 18:00 last night. It's cold as well, typical November rain. The glass is down to below 29.1". The forecast is for it to clear up about now and develop into a bright overcast day. The light east wind will swing into the south and strengthen slightly and there is no rain forecast. Expected high of 11C reflects the shift in the wind but expect it to be colder tomorrow.
07:40. A wet walk, the rain hasn't stopped yet. The ground is sodden and the Butts Beck is running a banker.I think I was right and it has rained all night... Dark of course, roll on the lighter days!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We were told to expect 30C and a bit of morning rain for today, instead we got cooler weather with lots of rain and a huge thunder and lightning storm. 56,000 lightning strikes statewide. One poor 15yr old lad was struck by lightning this afternoon about 3k's from where I am, he's still in hospital.
Tomorrow will be (?) 30C and a bit of morning rain.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nothing so exciting here Cathy.... Cool, calm and overcast this morning with occasional spots of rain. Paradoxically, the glass has risen to 29.4", puzzling.... Forecast is for a bright overcast day with very little chance of rain, light west wind and an expected high of 7C.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”