Welcome to Winter.

Well, in this hemisphere, anyway.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Winter 2014/2015

Post by Stanley »

High wind and heavy rain this morning.... Deep Joy! Glass is right back to 29". Forecast is for this to last all day, strong WSW wind and heavy rain. Expected high of 10C. End of..... (Shipping forecast is gales in all areas except Biscay so everyone will get it in the neck!)

07:45. We had a weather beaten brisk walk and were very lucky because the rain held off! Gott Sei Dank! It's a blustery old morning and I feel sorry for anyone caught in it when it's raining, it will be horizontal.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Just been to the crematorium with the Christmas wreath for our daughters and the wind was blowing all the flowers and wreaths all over the place (we tied ours to a tree).
Say only a little but say it well.
Julie in Norfolk
Regular User

Post by Julie in Norfolk »

As each Christmas arrives, I say goodbye to something loosely termed as "white goods". This year we have excelled ourselves, having mullered a dishwasher and tonight the oven. Although the oven is 10 years old, it has caused us grief each winter (behaving perfectly well throughout the summer). NO MORE! The new oven and dishwasher are being delivered tomorrow, if they don't arrive early, we may vent our spleen and dent the oven with a sledgehammer. Otherwise, preparations are in good order.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil, cut with an axe.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Lots of flooded roads on the way back down from Grasmere today with more torrential ran forecast throughout the night and into the morning. Passable with care today but nearly above the car door sills in places.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Funnily enough there were dry spells in Barlick yesterday and we had two dry walks! Glass is steady on 29", lots of gales in the shipping forecast. Forecast is for a carbon copy of yesterday, high of 10C. Deep Joy!
I took an executive decision at 06:30 when I realised it was dry outside. Jack and I got rugged up and went for our walk and it was a good decision. Blustery but mild and quite pleasant. Could be the best part of the day or is it going to surprise us again and be relatively dry?
Later at 11:00. The answer is no! Just been out with Jack in wind and driving rain. That's it for the day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lousy day yesterday, plenty of wind and rain but overnight the wind has dropped and it's dry but cooler. Glass is up slightly at 29.1". Forecast is for a better day, slight chance of a shower this morning but on the whole dry, much colder and the west wind is abating. Expected high of 5C. Gets better as we go towards Sunday.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's dry and cold outside with a light breeze, no frost as yet but there's time yet for a frosty Xmas Morning. Glass is well up at 29.5", a good sign. Forecast is for a mainly dry day with more west wind than was expected so perhaps no frost. The wind will ease off during the day and as it does it will get colder. Almost certainly a hard frost tonight. Outlook is colder tomorrow and a chance of snow on Saturday.

07:20. We got out in good time for our walk, no point waiting for the light! Except for a couple of cars and two ladies I meet almost every morning (they seem to work seven days a week) the place is deserted. The surprise was that there was a light shower of cold rain! Definitely no frost this morning! Back inside now.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another surprise this morning! We were promised a frost and last night at 21:00 it looked all set but this morning we have light, cold rain! Very strange as the glass has crept up to 29.6", usually a sure sign of dry frost. Forecast is for an overcast day with an increasing risk of precipitation as the light wind swings round into the east by tonight. Expected high of 4C but getting cooler later. I say 'precipitation' because there is a good chance we could have snow and not rain. Warnings are out but it doesn't feel like serious snow to me. (I might regret saying that....)
We've had a good walk on a calm morning with just the hint of mizzle. It's cold but not frosty and there was no sign of life until I got into Town Square where the paper shop was open. The rest of Barlick would appear to be sleeping it off!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The Met office got it exactly right yesterday. Light snow falling on an east wind at 21:00 last night. Hard frost, calm, clear and dry this morning with a light fall of snow. Glass is down at just over 29", even though it's clear it looks like some more snow.... Forecast is for an overcast day with a light wind starting in the NW and gradually becoming more northerly during the day. Temperature will never get above 1C and will feel colder. Very little snow forecast but at this time of the year you never can tell.... It's a winter day!
07:45. Back from our walk. Early shoppers going into the Co-op. Very cold and icy underfoot but OK with care. Cloud coming in from the west. Whether it drops anything is up to the weather gods. If they do, it will be snow....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

There is an inch or so of soft snow up here this morning, most of which fell yesterday evening. I've been looking at pictures of traffic stuck in just a small amount of snow in Sheffield overnight and then this one posted on Facebook of a snowy Albert Road in Colne back in the 1920/30s. I don't think anyone was stuck then!

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This morning is calm, clear and very cold, feels like -5C. The glass is up at 29.6". Fore4cast is for a dry bright day with almost no wind, what there is will be light and variable. It will freeze hard all day with no let up. Frost again tonight. This is winter weather! My mother used to say it was healthy weather!
08:00. Back from a very cold and slippy walk round the town. Not a soul i9n sight! Only good thing is that there is no wind, if there was it would be bitter. Watch out for untreated road surfaces, like the pavements they are shot ice....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear sky, iron frost, the coldest night of 2014 so far. Glass is up again at 30", classic behaviour for a cold high pressure system. Forecast is for a bright overcast day with light and very variable wind. No relief from frost all day and another cold night in prospect. Chance of misty conditions most of the day. It's winter..... The only good thing is that there is no snow.
08:00. We've had our walk. A bit more activity in the town this morning as traders get ready for a normal day. Very cold and icy underfoot, small steps and no sharp turns!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Partly clouded at 21:00 last night but still a hard frost this morning. Glass is still on 30" so we still have the high pressure but not for much longer. Forecast is for a bright overcast day with a constant moderate west wind which will make it feel like below freezing all day. They are forecasting a high of 3C but it won't feel like that. There's some rain coming in tomorrow, not much but question is will it initially fall as snow.....
08:00. We've had our walk down to the butcher's and it feels just as cold but I suspect the frost is not as hard as I thought at first. The frost is 'coming out' of untreated pavements making them even more treacherous. Good call, I just need milk tomorrow and the papers and we are ready for 2015!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Its been quite windy here since yesterday evening which has kept it well above freezing. Most of the snow has gone overnight leaving a few very slippy patches of ice around.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've got more wind this morning and a clear sky and frost as well! Most unusual. Glass is back to 29.6" as the high slips away. Forecast is for an overcast day until dinnertime when we have a chance of rain coming in. Expected high later of 5C as the moderate SW wind warms everything up a bit. Moire rain in the offing tomorrow.
08:10. We've inspected the town and all is well. It has stopped freezing and where the pavements are exposed to the warmer air they have thawed but in sheltered places the surfaces are more slippy than yesterday as the frost in the ground freezes the moisture in the air. One noticeable thing is that it was lighter at 07:00 this morning than at any time in the last few weeks. The days are slowly lengthening and it's very welcome.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's windy, mild and raining out there. The glass is just below 29.5" and the forecast is for strengthening SW winds during the day. Occasional showers this morning but heavier and more continuous rain after Noon. The expected high is 12C, very mild for this time of year.
08:00. A very mild and unexpectedly calm walk round the town. If anything there is less wind than there was at 04:00. Very few people about, one bloke in dressing gown and pyjamas in Valley Gardens emptying his little dog. Evidently he drew the short straw! Not a bad start to 2015.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Here in Adelaide we are looking forward to 42C tomorrow... Not! It will be a scorcher
:(
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Cathy! We are having a mild spell but not that mild!
Clear, dry and almost calm this morning at 04:00 but at 03:00 the wind was violent enough to waken me up. I wondered how Wendy was going on.... The glass went down quickly during the night but is now back up at 29.4", there must be some fast moving systems coming through. Forecast is for a dry bright day with a moderate west wind, no rain and a high of perhaps 4C. Could be a good day for a walk.....
I spoke too soon.... Jack and I got a nasty shock with a strong wind that felt more like NW than West and cold rain with it. Thoroughly miserable but it appears to have cleared up now. I hope the rest of the day is better!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It was a wild night Stanley, we measured a 50mph gust but we are reasonably sheltered from south westerly winds and there is no damage to report. I was vaguely aware of it roaring around the house but it didn't keep me awake for long. Its coming from the north west now and bringing much colder weather.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That was what I thought Wendy this morning and no mention in the forecast of wind from that direction. We've just had our second walk and it's in the west now and despite being a relatively mild wind it's cold out!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

That wind goes straight through not round!!
Say only a little but say it well.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Home from holiday...coming in on the plane we saw bushfires burning in the hills...flew through the smoke to land. Then we had a two hour drive home. Fell into bed, but we're woken in the wee small hours with call from son...his entire suburb has been evacuated. All he managed to grab, was his dog! His father has also been evacuated from neighbouring suburb. I've been unable to get through to Cathy, but she lives in that suburb too. We have the radio on and there has been an evacuation centre set up, so I wonder if she is there.
Not a good way to be aroused from sleep...
Not much we can do being two hours drive away, but I have told them they are welcome to come here if they wish. At least my son and his father are together now...that is a comfort. Guess we just wait to see what happens with this fire.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Definitely not how you want to be woken Maz, a waiting game as you say but I hope it all comes out OK for you.
Ian
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Had to leave home at about 3am this morning due to bushfires getting to close.My daughter rang me 3 times to wake me as she was on her way to collect me!! We helped to wake several neighbours, people and cars everywhere, like it's midday. It's about 4.30am now, we are just sat listening to report, fire is still burning, and tomorrows weather conditions aren't looking good:)
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)

Return to “Seasons”