Winter 2014/2015

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Winter 2014/2015

Post by Stanley »

Sky clear at 21:00 last night, dry and frosty this morning. Glass is up sharply at 29.6" so it will soon fall again.... Forecast is for a dry bright overcast day with a constant light west wind, warming up during the day, no frost tonight and possibly a wet outlook for the rest of the week as another Atlantic low comes through. Expected high of 5C.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mostly clear sky at 21:00 last night but it must have clouded over during the night, we have no frost. Glass is up a touch at 29.7". Forecast is for a mild overcast day with a remote chance of a light shower at any time. Wind is moderate and from the SW. Expected high of 7C.
07:00. We were out early under a lighter sky. Chilly bit nor a frost. Birds were singing. Not a bad late February morning!
11:00. We've had second walks, Jack is officially empty! The day is doing well, despite being promised the chance of showers it's been dry all morning. A good day.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good day yesterday. More wind this morning and rain early on. The shipping forecast reports gales in almost every sea area. Glass is down on 29.2" and the forecast is for a mild but wet day until this evening. A strong SW wind most of the day.

We got away with a relatively dry early morning walk but much wetter now as Jack, towelled down, gets ready for his afternoon sleep. But, we mustn't grumble, it's almost March!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear sky at 21:00 last night, dry this morning and no frost. Glass is relatively stable at a shade under 29". Forecast is for a cooler, brighter day with less chance of a shower. The West wind is steady and moderate, it will abate slowly during the day. Cooler night but no frost.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Feeling so sorry for the people and areas of Arnhem Land NT and Queensland affected by Cyclones Lam and Marcia. Images of the devastation are heartbreaking. Must have been terrifying.

Our heatwave in SA continues, we are heading for 40C today, it's only mid morning and already uncomfortable. :-(
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I saw the reports of the cyclone... Thankfully we don't have them here Cathy. No chance of bush fires in Barlick either this morning it's raining and it's cold and sleet, almost snow! Glass is back to 28.6" but a quick fall like that usually means a quick bounce back... Forecast is for this sleety spell to last for a couple of hours and it could recur again later in the day. Temperature is about 1C but feels a lot colder as there is a steady light west wind. It will feel like below freezing all day. Wet November weather at the moment, winter is letting us know it is still here!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

There is snow on the high hill sides, but the sun is shining and has heat in it through the windows - saves on heating!
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Broken cloud but dry at 21:00 last night. Rain this morning. Glass is up slightly after falling back last night, it is on 28.9". Forecast is for a cold overcast day. Mainly dry until noon but then the SW wind strengthens and we are promised rain, sleet and possibly snow until 21:00 tonight. A good day for being inside, dry and warm!
Later. we managed our first walk in the dry and the second as well. That wind is getting up and it's col;d! A touch of snow wouldn't surprise me at all.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was cold and after dinner, as the wind got up and it started raining it was miserable! No snow but I was glad to be indoors.... Glass has dropped like a stone during the night, down to 28.2", only consolation is that a quick fall like this is usually followed by and equally rapid recovery. Forecast is for another mixed day. The wind chill from the stiff SW wind will make it feel well below freezing all day. There will be occasional showers and these could be sleet or snow. There could be a bright spell at about noon but it's raining at the moment.... Another good day for being inside and in the warm. Give a thought to anyone who has to work outside today......
08:00 We were lucky, we had a dry walk but that wind is very cold! As I write this there is a flurry of hard snow but I don't think we shall see much. I've decided it is a porridge morning!
11:00. We've had our second walk... Jack is a wonderful personal trainer, if it wasn't for him I doubt I could get motivated for going out in weather as cold as this. It's bright at the moment but a bitter wind, glad to be back in the warm!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The lousy weather continues, cold rain and wind at 04:00. Gale warnings for all areas except Trafalgar in this morning's Shipping Forecast. Glass is trying to rise but still on 28.4". Forecast is a re-run of yesterday but no snow forecast. Deep Joy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A cold wet morning. Sky was mostly clear with scattered cloud at 21:00 last night, It was raining first thing but has cleared up now. Glass is up at 29". Forecast is for a better day, bright overcast until evening with less wind and an expected high of 6C. From early evening the wind increases slightly and so does the chance of rain. Nearly into March......
07:45. We were a tad later with our walk but the bonus was that it was light and the rain had ceased. A cold wind still but nowhere near as savage as the last few days.... Things could be a lot worse!
11:00. We've finished in the shed and had our walk. Time for a sit down! The forecast was right, it is a nice mild sunny day with a light breeze. Still chilly but this is a good day for late February!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thank God that's one problem we don't have! You need this morning's weather, light breeze and cold rain.... Glass is down a touch at 28.9". Forecast is for rain all morning and a rapidly cooling day which could result in sleet showers later on. Moderate west wind all day.
Wet walk this morning, ground is sodden as well. Brightened up now but getting colder..... Could be a lot worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sky was clear at 21:00 last night. I was up a bit earlier this morning (Don't worry, I'd had a good sleep!) and it was dry but just starting to drop a bit of light rain. Glass is up slightly overnight to 29.1". Forecast is for a bright overcast day with spells of sun and little chance of rain. The moderate west wind will make it feel like below freezing all day. We're almost into March.... the winter is receding. Saw my first snowdrops on the green yesterday!
07:00. We were out in good time this morning and back in the hutch shortly after 06:30. I was surprised to see that we had had a shower of snow during the night and that exposed pavements had a covering of ice. I think it's a bit colder than the forecasters predicted. Having said that it's a brisk dry morning and a pleasure to be out and get some lung fulls of cold clean air!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We have a low pressure system racing through. Cold and wet outside this morning! Glass is back to 28.9" and we are promised wind later. Forecast is that today will feel slightly warmer but there is a good chance of rain at any time. The wind is SW and will increase slowly all day. This looks like the pattern for the next three or four days, March coming in like a lion indeed!
Our first walk this morning at 06:30 was in wind and light rain but thank god, light!
Our second, just accomplished at 11:00 was on a pleasant late February day, sunshine, a cold breeze but perfectly acceptable. Plenty of clouds looming up but no actual rain at the moment. Things could be a lot worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Windy and dry this morning at 4AM. Just poked my nose out and it's starting to rain. Glass is down like a stone to 28.4" as the low rushes through, It will rise again just as hast, Forecast is for a high chance of rain all day. The wind will gradually lessen and it will get colder, in fact there's a chance of snow on the wind late afternoon onwards. March coming in like a lion!
06:00. Just been out for some coal. The rain has turned to sleet.....
07:00. We got out early, well rugged up! We have been lucky, we hit a fine spell and though buffeted by the wind, we are both dry! It's colder thanb the forecasters predicted. I suspect we'll see more sleet and perhaps snow later on....
11:00. Second walk done. That wind is bitter! Glad to get inside....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Snow largely gone aT 21:00 LAST NIGHT, CLEARER SKY WITH BROKEN CLOUD AND WIND DROPPED. Almost a clear sky at 04:00 but it is snowing lightly at the moment. Glass trying to rise but still down at 28.5" Forecast is for a cold day with a bitter -5C wind chill from the steady, moderate SW wind. Chance of a snow shower almost any time but with patches of sunshine as the gaps in the cloud come over. It's a winter's day despite the Met Office saying that Spring starts on March 1st.
But there is hope! The five day agricultural forecast promises us a significant rise in temperatures by the end of this week. Double figures?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

We got up to a white world - it has mostly gone but we have had some strong gusts of wind.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had probably the heaviest snow of the winter but it only lasted 20 minutes and melted almost immediately. Dry this morning and scattered cloud. Just above freezing. Glass is rising, almost up to 29". Forecast is for a similar day to yesterday. The moderate west wind will give a wind chill down to -5C and there is a chance of a snow shower or a patch of sunshine at any time. One thing I noticed yesterday during a very heavy snow shower at about 10:00 was how cosy it felt in the shed with snow swirling past the window....
Maz and Cathy.... How are the bush fires going on?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Damp but not raining, frosty or windy! Glass is up at 29.3", a good sign.... Forecast is better, hardly any rain, west wind decreasing, temperature up a bit and plenty of bright spells. The wind chill will take us below freezing at each end of the day but in between we could get up to 5C. Almost tropical!
06:45. We were out early, a light shower which soon stopped and the sky light enough to see where Jack's deposits were... This is an improvement! Sill cold in that wind but the sky is clearing, I think we might have a good day! (Crocuses are in bloom on the Green.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I think we can relax now as far as bush-fire threats are concerned Stanley even tho we haven't had any substantial rain for many weeks.
Autumn has arrived and hopefully some rain will follow soon. Evenings are already getting cooler which is nice. (even tho it is still 21C as I type this, after a day of 23/25C)
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I could stand 21C Cathy! Glad the threat of bush fires is receding.... Jack and I have just been out for our second walk and it's a beautiful sunny day, about 5C. Still a chance of a shower but remote I think as the glass is rising nicely.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Partially overcast sky, dry, no frost and a light west wind this morning. Glass is on 29.8" after rising steadily all day yesterday, a good sign. Forecast is for a milder overcast day with a chance of a shower almost any time. Moderate west wind all day tending towards the SW and getting milder. Expected high of 6C, wind chill will never take us below freezing. It's warming up gradually......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 16:00 yesterday afternoon the moderate west wind was still bitterly cold. At 21:00 it had moderated, swung more to the SW and was noticeably milder. This morning it is even lighter and still mild and dry. Glass is back slightly at 29.6". Forecast is for an overcast morning with a slight chance of a shower at any time but brighter after dinner. The moderate SW wind remains steady all day and is warmer. Expected high of 9C and even taking account of the wind chill it will be warmer all day.

08:00. We've had our walk and finished all the small tasks· Ready for the shed! The wind is still mainly westerly but much milder than of late. One skin left off, I didn't need the fleece under the Crombie! This is progress, let's hope we have turned the corner. Now the only thing to watch out for is that bitter East wind that can sometimes set in at this time of the year just as the grass is getting going. In a bad year it can burn it off as fast as it grows....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mild calm and clear with a full moon. Just a touch of mist this morning. Glass is back again at 29.2". Forecast is for a very acceptable March day. A moderate SW wind, no rain forecast, bright overcast and clear spells. Expected high of 11C. Definitely a change in the weather and as is so often the case, accompanied by a full moon.
07:30. A nice walk in daylight on a mild morning with very little wind at the moment· Birds are very active, geese flying. It doesn't get much better than this for March in Barlick....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 4AM it was dry with scattered cloud, at the moment we have light rain. The glass is down slightly at 29.1". The forecast is for a wet start to the day but then a brighter outlook all day. The SW wind will gradually abate until it is only a light breeze. Forecast high of 9C. More changeable than yesterday but still a perfectly acceptable March day!
06:45. Nice to get out early! It's coming light at 6AM now. We've had our walk round a deserted Barlick, light rain but nothing serious. This is a good morning!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”