Winter 2014/2015

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Winter 2014/2015

Post by Stanley »

Clear, dry and fresher this morning. Glass is up at 29.5". Forecast is for a bright breezy day with a rising wind from the South. Chance of rain in the middle of the day but clearing. Expected high of 8C. Changeable day but still a good one!
07:45. We've had a nice walk on a bright cold morning. I said it felt fresh this morning but had missed the fact we had a frost. No matter, it's a nice morning so far....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely when the mornings are light at 0600! I've been out for my walk on a mild breezy morning with clearing skies. Glass is rising as the low heads for Norway, at 29.5" this morning. Forecast is for a dry bright day with a variable wind that tends to get weaker as the high pressure takes over. Expected high of 7C. A very acceptable March day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear and calm at 21:00 last night. Same this morning at 04:00 but a bit misty. The mist has cleared now and we have a slight ground frost. Light well before 06:00 and we have had our walk on a very pleasant morning. The glass is steady on 29.5" with perhaps a tendency to fall. Another low on its way in from the Atlantic no doubt. Forecast is for the day to start bright and calm but the S wind will rise and by early afternoon we are promised a spell of rain which will clear as the wind drops and the sky clears, expect another clear cold night.... This is good weather!
11:00. Second walk in bright sunshine but the wind is getting up now and more cloud is coming in from the West. Looks as though the forecast of afternoon rain might be accurate...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Back in the hutch after our walk by 05:45. This is a good morning, damp but calm and mild. Glass is steady on 29". Forecast is for an overcast day but no serious chance of rain until this evening perhaps. about 4C at the moment in a rising SE wind. By dinner time it could be 11C! Daffodils blooming in the beds near the toilets.... This is good weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Not mild here Stanley, it is damp & cold.
Say only a little but say it well.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

we have 27C and sunshine for Friday.
Sending you all some ... :sunny: :sunny3: :daisy: Enjoy :-)
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It got that way here as well Moh around dinnertime. Cathy, 27C would be too much of a shock, we're glad if it's 10C at the moment.
This morning it's raining.... Glass is hovering just below 29.5". Forecast is for rain until dinnertime and then brightening. Wind is light and NE. It will feel cold all day even in the sun this afternoon because of the wind chill.
I was back in the hutch after our walk and trip to Butcher Brown's by 07:00. We were both soaked! It has evidently rained all night, Butts Beck is running a banker and rain is running off the waterlogged Green over the pavements! I reflected that if it is the same up at Wendy's the old lads could be in for a day in a warm stable... Not only that but the rain is coming down as sleet and it is definitely cold wet and nasty out there. I sympathise with anyone who has to work outside in this.... My Barbour kept me dry but my hands were freezing.
Never mind, Jack is rubbed down and dry, my knees are drying out and it's warm in the house and the shed... Now there's a thought!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had a dry walk at dinnertime yesterday, the rain cleared up. Dry last night at 21:00 and same this morning. Glass is up slightly at 29.7". Forecast is for an overcast day with a slight chance of a shower but the wind is in the East and this is generally a dry quarter in Barlick. Expected high of 6C but it will feel colder in the wind. I like the fact it is dry but I distrust this east wild. Too often at this time of the year it sets in for long periods and can hold Spring back...
We'll be out early for our walk....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

I think yesterday's front must have stood still over on on Thursday night. I was surprised by how much rain had come down first thing on Friday morning; picking Claire Teall up from Greenberfield Lane, I found the ford awash. Driving steadily through it, the water came up to the bottom of the bonnet at its deepest.

(I've asked for 'Road Liable to Flood' signs and depth gauge previously, this reminded me to ask again!)

Setting off in sleety snow, we went east and south and ran into much better conditions going to Derbyshire. Coming back late yesterday afternoon and into the evening, it soon turned from sunny to murk when we returned westwards.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Ford on Greenberfield Lane, whereabouts is this David? Never known an actual ford anywhere on that length.
Ian
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

We woke up to a white world yesterday, we went to Colne via the top road and there was about 2 ins. snow yet there was none in Colne. Cold today again.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Just west of Broad Ing Bridge (between the bridge and the sewage works) a small stream crosses under the road through a culvert. This is Fool's Syke I think, the one that comes down under Gisburn Road and past the north end of the Barnoldswick Town and Cricket Club grounds. On the northern side of Greenberfield Lane, it goes into a culvert under the field.

Normally, the water keeps to the culvert, but when it's in spate the road floods to quite a depth. You can see the dip in the road which fills with water.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Not an official ford then David, not marked on the map as such, just a local flooding area. The stream will not be Fools Syke as that runs directly into Stock at the Far side of the sewage works. The source of that stream I believe is the the Dark Hill Well above Cow Pasture, it will also gather off The Edge. There are various tributaries converging from field drains. It flows down past Fernbank and is culverted as you say under Gisburn Road and emerging again down the bottom end around West Close Farm. This drains into Stock slightly higher upstream than Fools Syke. This feeder stream for Stock is not named on the OS other than it's source on Dark Hill.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If it's running across the roar you have to ford it! No name on the 1892 25" map either....
Clear at 21:00 last night, looks overcast this morning. Glass is steady on 29.7". Forecast is for a slight chance of rain almost any time today, more probable around 19:00. Steady ENE wind all day. I know you get fed up with me going on about this wind but once it gets started it can stick. It will make the expected 6C high seem more like 2C .
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had a shower during the night but first thing this morning it was dry with scattered cloud coming over from the East. Glass is steady at just above 29.5" so it looks settled. Forecast is for a good chance of a shower this morning, a moderate East wind all day. An expected high of 6C but under the overcast it will feel more like 2C. It is still dry out there as I write this, good time for our walk!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Cold here again in the east wind, supposed to improve on Wednesday but worsen again for week end. Cloudy forecast for the partial eclipse on Friday morning around 9.30am.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Calm and dry out there at the moment. Glass is still steady on 29.5". Forecast is a rerun of yesterday, overcast, mostly dry and a light but constant East wind. Slightly less cold....
06:20. Back in the hutch after a brisk walk on a pleasant morning. Calm, dry and not cold, you can't ask for much better than this in March....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

A perfect sunny gardening day today, lending itself to a spot of window cleaning, and a wipe over of outdoor furniture, before placing backside on nice clean outdoor chair and zoning out completely.
We had a ten minute light shower after lunch....the first rain we have had for 62 days.
26 C.
Can't complain.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've got nearer 5C here Maz but a pleasant enough morning. Dry up to now but I see we have just had a light shower and it's brightened up again. No complaints here either, we are more than half way into March and this is good weather.
In 12 days (On the 29th) we put the clocks forward an hour and as far as the clocks go we are into daylight saving, or Summertime as we used to call it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Today is a carbon copy of yesterday's weather, so I shall be potting up some more plants.
Have been frightened half to death twice recently by a very large Blue Tongued Lizard, but I don't think he will get me a third time. The first time he crawled over my foot and I looked down to see the triangular head and thought "SNAKE!!!!" .in fact, I must have yelled "snake!" , because hubby soon appeared to find me imitating a statue ( frozen solid I was) and hyperventilating. The next time, the bold as brass wanderer had found his way into our entry hall. Dave scooped him up and placed him, hissing and snarling, in the empty paddock next door.
He was probably on the hunt for a winter home.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Well done Dave.... He does do some things efficiently then.....
Calm clear dry and a slight frost this morning. Glass is up at 29.6". Forecast is for a clear bright day 'til noon and bright overcast after. Very light West wind to start the day but it gradually swings round via the North until it is back in the East again, still very light. Expected high of 9C. Pity that Friday's partial solar eclipse isn't happening today.
06:00. Back in the hutch after an early walk. The slight frost I noted earlier is now a sharp frost! Bit it'd dry and calm and the birds are singing.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

:grin: he does everything wonderfully
:undecided: He just bleeds over most things! :undecided:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

He was there when you needed him.
Lovely morning here in Barlick. Just had our second walk in bright sunshine and a gentle east wind. I didn't bother to put a coat on! That's a first for 2015.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Just to rub it in: 31C/88f and sunny all day here! :sunny:

I don't envy you for having Barlick weather.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'd rather have our weather China, +30C is too hot for us and would cause problems.
Slight frost again this morning but not as clear as yesterday. Glass is up again heading for 29.8". Forecast is very similar to yesterday but slightly more overcast. Light East wind all day but dry and an expected high of 9C. Looks like another nice day!
06:30 after our walk. What was a light frost at 3AM is now a sharp one with fog thick enough to slow the cars down on the road. But the birds are singing! They know it's going to get better.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”