Winter 2014/2015

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Winter 2014/2015

Post by Stanley »

Amazing what will trigger a discussion on Oneguy.... As you can see from the dateline I am up and agait at 4AM most mornings. I have risen early most of my life and it has its advantages, When I was wagon driving it meant I had the road to myself, when I was running big projects I could do 4 hours office work without the phone ringing to interrupt me, I always said I got more done in that four hours than other people could get through in a day. Many trades start early and a proper butcher's shop is one of them. The pies and steak puddings are fresh as is the mince. The meat in the displays is all ready for the day so the earlier you are there the fresher it is. Kath starts at about 6AM and it suits both of us to have me in there early doors... By noon I have put in eight hours honest endeavour and then I enjoy a couple of hours sleep in the afternoon. Always in bed at ten.... We all do what suits us, nobody is 'right' or 'wrong'.
There is no frost this morning (yet!) The glass dropped back a bit but is back on 29.3" at the moment. A rising glass is always a good sign.... The forecast gives a mainly bright overcast day with a moderate west wind all day. There is a chance of a snow shower in the next couple of hours and perhaps a chance of a shower after dinner but there will be patches of sunshine in between. High could be 4C but for most of the year it will be just above freezing. Not a bad day for late January.

07:00. We've had our walk and the forecasters were right. The sky has cleared, there is a sharp frost and anywhere where the wind can get at an untreated surface they are shot ice. Worse conditions underfoot than at any time in the last few days so take care. There will be occasional patches of ice on even treated roads so don't assume too much!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I popped outside with Jack at 21:00 last night and there was a strong and very cold wind. It seems to have abated this morning but it's cold and dry, no frost. The glass is up to just over 29.5". The forecast is for a dry overcast day with a moderate SW wind until mid afternoon when the chance of a shower increases. As the rain comes in the temperature is set to rise and could reach 8C by midnight.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

The forecast for my train trip up to Yorkshire on Tues looks OK and no need to expect delays, but the Wednesday hoped drive to Clitheroe may be a bit of a different achievement, and the return drive to London on Thurs should be OK on motorways If the gritting works , and the local Burnley roads clear. I've been snowed in before in February when I worked a short while in Cardiff and a weeks fun of welly walking could well be happening again if we make it back out of London after the weekend. Countryfile forecast - always more useful than the normal 3day TV forecasts.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast for yesterday was spot on, it was raining gently by 15:00 and the temperature had risen. Relatively mild out there this morning with light rain. The glass is back a bit at 29.3". The forecast is for a bright overcast day with a steady moderate W wind and low chance of rain. The temperature will fall slowly all day but no frost tonight. A very acceptable late January day!
Later as 06:00. Breaking news from the forecasters is that starting Wednesday night the weather pattern is going to change. We are to expect the coldest spell of the winter with widespread snow.... Good job I'm ordering my coal today!
Later again at 08:00. We've had a good walk on a very acceptable winter morning. A brisk cold wind but clearing skies so light earlier and dry. I called in at B&D and they are delivering 20 bags of smokeless this morning so Wednesday can do its worst! Nowt like having a stock in whether it's toilet rolls, food or coal! All right, I'm old fashioned..... (But warm)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Have you seen this site for air quality of cities across the World?

Nearest data to you is Preston I think.

You want: http://aqicn.org/map/europe/

Compare your air quality to what we must up with in Nanning. http://aqicn.org/map/nanning/
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Adelaide has 35 Good.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

New York is gearing up for the worst snow fall ever!! Hope it does not come here, although we are forecast to get some towards the end of the week - must stock up the freezer.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sensible attitude Moh. The forecasters must be pretty confident in the States, the East coast has shut down despite the fact that nothing has hit yet. The outlook on the shipping forecast this morning confirms that we can expect a shift in the weather pattern starting later on Wednesday and the westerly flow of systems will be replaced by a strong flow from the North with gales and very low temperatures. It's expected to reach down as far as the Midlands and affect the West side more than the East. I believe them....

My store cupboards are full, the coal arrived yesterday and I have plenty of toilet rolls.....

Meanwhile, at present we have an overcast morning with a hint of rain in the air. At 21:00 last night the sky was clear. The glass is up to 29.5". The forecast is for the steady West wind to continue all day. It will be overcast with the slight possibility of a shower almost any time and perhaps heavier rain in the early evening. Expected temperature is around 4C all day but wind chill will make it feel colder. Tomorrow will be much wetter and despite the constant west wind the temperature will fall throughout the day. There is a chance of snow. The trend is for it to remain cold and for the wind to gradually swing into the North. My guess is that the forecasters have got it right and we have a nasty cold spell coming in.
08:00. We've had our walk and though it isn't raining it's damp and the wind cuts right through you. I may be wrong but it feels more northerly than west!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I mailed Martha in Northfield yesterday and asked her about the blizzard of the cenury. She said that in Minnesota they are having a mild winter and that the NY scare was overblown. This morning she sent me an article from the NY Times:

"Leaders in New York and New Jersey Defend Shutdown for a Blizzard That Wasn’t

By MATT FLEGENHEIMERJAN. 27, 2015

The winter storm this week, predicted to be one of the worst ever to hit New York City, failed to deliver much of a blow. But it still brought the city to a halt. It was an unprecedented step for what became, in New York City, a common storm: For the first time in its 110-year history, the subway system was shut down because of snow. Transit workers, caught off guard by the shutdown that Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo announced on Monday, scrambled to grind the network to a halt within hours.
Residents moved quickly to find places to stay, if they were expected at work the next day, or hustle home before service was curtailed and roads were closed. And Mayor Bill de Blasio, whose residents rely upon the transit system by the millions, heard the news at roughly the time the public did. “We found out,” Mr. de Blasio said on Tuesday, “just as it was being announced.”

The storm largely spared the city, instead battering eastern Long Island and much of New England, where Nantucket lost power and Scituate, Mass., flooded.

And on Tuesday, local and state officials were left to defend one of the most consequential decisions elected leaders can make: effectively closing a city, in light of an uncertain forecast. With travel bans instituted across the region, residents had little choice but to heed the warnings to stay put. Even as roads reopened and trains creaked back to life early Tuesday, there would be no normal business day, even though most parts of the city received less than 10 inches of snow, not the two to three feet that had been predicted. The weather laid bare the civic and political high-wire act of the modern snowstorm — pocked with doomsayer proclamations and sporadic lapses in communication.

At the episode’s heart is the sort of damned-if-you-do decision that has bedeviled politicians for decades: Play it safe with closings, all but guaranteeing sweeping economic losses, or try to ride out the storm? “I would much rather be in a situation where we say we got lucky than one where we didn’t get lucky and somebody died,” Mr. Cuomo said. Briefings and interviews with officials suggest that recent challenges — including Hurricane Sandy, a snowstorm in Buffalo and public spats between top local leaders and forecasters — have left decision-makers even more risk-averse.

As the storm approached, a sort of one-upmanship theater had visited the local political stage: Mr. Cuomo’s announcement about the subway shutdown came hours after the chairman of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority suggested a full shutdown was unlikely. New Jersey Transit riders were told on Monday afternoon not to expect rail service until Thursday. On Sunday, Mr. de Blasio said, “This could be the biggest snowstorm in the history of New York City,” a bit of speechmaking that spawned a widely distributed parody in The Onion: “NYC Mayor: ‘Reconcile Yourselves With Your God, for All Will Perish in the Tempest.’ ” (On Tuesday, the mayor gave a reading of the article for reporters at City Hall.)

The abundance of caution was perhaps understandable, particularly in this city. Last year, shortly after taking office, Mr. de Blasio drew the ire of snowbound residents on an under-plowed Upper East Side. Weeks later, amid criticism that he left schools open in a heavy storm, the mayor, a Democrat, appeared to deflect blame to a shifting forecast, setting off a dispute with the television weatherman Al Roker. For this storm, the sanitation commissioner, Kathryn Garcia, first heard about the dire forecasts on Saturday afternoon. She thought the projection by the National Weather Service — possibly three or four inches of snow per hour by Monday night — was a misprint.
In New York City, roads and subways were nearly deserted Tuesday morning, as people woke up to a much lighter snowfall than had been predicted. Some were irritated; others just headed to the park.
In their storm preparations, according to an official, Mr. de Blasio and his staff alluded often to two predecessors: Michael R. Bloomberg, who was blamed in 2010 for snowed-in streets outside Manhattan, and John V. Lindsay, who faced withering criticism after a storm that killed 42 people in the city in 1969. The message seemed clear: A failed snowstorm response sticks with a mayor. And Mr. de Blasio would not be seen as underprepared. “This is not going to be like other snowstorms,” the mayor told reporters on Monday."
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Meanwhile, in Barlick this morning it is cold, windy and wet. The glass is down to 28'7". All the signs are for bad weather. Forecast is for a high probability of rain all day, as the temperature is falling rapidly this could well be snow from mid-morning onwards. The stiff west wind will make it feel a lot colder and by tonight we will have a frost despite the wind. Some hard winter weather.... Look after yourselves!
07:30. Back from our walk· When I was about to set off it was raining heavily so I used my head and donned full wet weather gear. The wind is strong but still relatively mild. The rain stopped as soon as we went out and we were perfectly dry apart from the fact I worked a sweat up because I was rugged up so well! Still, we're not complaining. That could have been the best part of the day.
11:30. We have done our shopping and had the second walk of the day. It started snowing at 10:30 when we went out but nothing serious yet. Stove fired up and a spare shovelful brought in. We are all right until tomorrow morning.... That's it for today, I can do what it wants!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Shades of the US 'Blizzard of the Century'.... No snow last night in Barlick and very little frost, streets wet this morning.... Glass is down like a stone again this morning at 28.2" so we nay not have seen the worst yet. Forecast is for a cold day, around freezing all day. A moderate west wind will bring in showers of snow all day and there is a high probability of snow all day, possibly heavy at times. It is snowing gently at the moment.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote:Shades of the US 'Blizzard of the Century'.... No snow last night in Barlick and very little frost, streets wet this morning.... Glass is down like a stone again this morning at 28.2" so we nay not have seen the worst yet. Forecast is for a cold day, around freezing all day. A moderate west wind will bring in showers of snow all day and there is a high probability of snow all day, possibly heavy at times. It is snowing gently at the moment.....
2 degrees over here in Westhoughton, didn't see any snow on my way here either (5AM start). Be my luck to get snowed in at the office...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's starting to stick here Kev but no great weight yet. The roads are treacherous even where they have been salted. Signs are it will get worse but who knows? One thing is certain, it's bitterly cold out there....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote:It's starting to stick here Kev but no great weight yet. The roads are treacherous even where they have been salted. Signs are it will get worse but who knows? One thing is certain, it's bitterly cold out there....
I've just heard it's gridlock now because of the 3 car crash on the Kelbrook Rd
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Nothing over west Lancs, but on the radio it sounds bad Burnley, Rossendale, Darwen, Blackburn, Nelson, Colne.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Woke up to an inch or so of snow but more is falling now and its drifting in the strong wind. The gritter has been through on Skipton Old Road a couple of times but the snow is just drifting back across. Wouldn't recommend anyone using this route!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sitrep for Kev... It's been snowing lightly on and off all morning but ceased now.... About an inch depth and it's actually thawing slowly, water running out of it but not fast enough to shift it. Roads that have been treated are passable but still slushy, I don't think they have spread enough salt... Everything still OK with care and it's quite bright at the moment....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

We had a light fall last night here in Burnley and again this morning we have had a couple of light coverings but it has almost gone now.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote:Sitrep for Kev... It's been snowing lightly on and off all morning but ceased now.... About an inch depth and it's actually thawing slowly, water running out of it but not fast enough to shift it. Roads that have been treated are passable but still slushy, I don't think they have spread enough salt... Everything still OK with care and it's quite bright at the moment....
Ta
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I was feeling quite smug down here - just got back from Tesco - bright and sunny if a bit cold.
Then it suddenly became very black, and it's throwing it down - sort of hail/snow. Everywhere has turned white. I may need counselling. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I think I need counselling for all the negativity being exhibited on some of our local Facebook sites regarding the current conditions. Anyone would think that this is the first time it has ever snowed, sensibility seems to have gone out of the window and lots of people seem to want to blame someone else for their misfortune or bad driving skills for not keeping every road in the district (including minor ones within town) free of snow. It really does beggar belief.

I know that not everyone is confident in driving in snow but if that is case they should not be venturing out on the road. As far as I can ascertain we have had a couple of inches of snow on the roads. Gritters have been out all night covering the major routes so all should have been passable with care, and that's the crux of it. If you leave the road or roll a vehicle in such conditions you are going too fast, there is no other reason. If you must drive proceed with due regard to the conditions prevailing at the time.

The levels of snow we have had so far this winter are nothing compared to what we used to get back in the 70's and 80's. I worked in the TV repair business then and plied my trade around the back streets of the district. None of these were gritted I hasten to add and it was not uncommon to have six inch to a foot of snow to negotiate. Our vans were rear wheel drive as most vehicles were at the time. Winter tyres were fitted and we carried a couple of weights from the mill over the back axle. A pair of wellies and a shovel in the back along with the rest of your tools and you were sorted for whatever you had to deal with. The only customers we could not get all the way to were the outlying farms in which case we drove as near as we could in the van and were then picked up by the farmer to take us the rest of the way. It was a bit like the Pony Express we always got through, I certainly never had a day of work due to snow.

Front wheel drive vehicles are inherently safer to drive in adverse conditions, with modern abs braking systems and the rest of the niceties fitted. If you slide one off the road either the vehicle is not fit for purpose or you are going too fast which comes down to driver error. It's not the County Councils fault or anyone else's for that matter. If you are going to drive please make sure you are capable of handling the conditions, if not you should stay off the road, you are just a danger to other folk.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I remember coming over Chelker one morning in the Lancia Fulvia in fresh snow, not treated as it was Xmas. The Fulvia was the best snow car I ever had, narrow tyres, all the weight on the front wheel drive and hardly any on the rear. I passed a bloke in a new 4X4 who was all over the place. On the way down into Skipton he passed me going like hell, fishtailing all over the road. He thought that his new urban tank was invincible. Never saw him again but he wouldn't last long. Evidently he didn't like being overtaken by a little car.....
No snow in the night but the roads and pavements that thawed yesterday are like glass. I may not be walking far this morning. Glass is even lower this morning at 28". Not a good sign! Forecast is for a better day, freezing all day but only a small chance of snow later this afternoon. Wind is slightly abated and stays in the West until later tonight when it shifts into the North. A wintry day.....
08:00. We've had a shorter walk round the green but Jack met his mate Cass, the Mastiff/Ridge-back cross and they had a good run round so he's not feeling deprived. I've rung Kath at the butcher's and Carl will deliver my meat later in the day. It is terrible underfoot and so I walked where it had been salted and minced the rest of the way. OK on the grass of course. Being careful paid off, no slipping and so no shocks to my back. I shall be in the rocking chair reading Wolf Hall today despite the difficulties, no shed. Probably being over cautious but I have been here before and know what it means if I don't get my back straight as soon as possible.
My thoughts are with the people who have to be out and also to the many old people who will slip today and end up in A&E. This figure is always obscure but it happens for want of salt on pavements....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

The light snow we had last night is melting very quickly in the lovely sunshine.
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Looks like I was fortunate only working at home yesterday, the car stayed put, I had to clear snow off it off this morning, but the roads were clear.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 21:00 last night the wind was still in the west and it was spotting with rain, no frost. It appears to be the same this morning but the wind is lighter at the moment and may be swinging into the North. The glass is still at rock bottom on 28" so that depression over Norway must be stable and very deep which means we aren't out of the wood yet even though the roads were a lot better at dinnertime yesterday under the sun and relatively mild temperatures. The forecast bears this out. It is going to be a bright overcast day with very small chance of any snow and no frost but the fly in the ointment is the strengthening North wind which is going to give a wind chill of over -6C at times later in the day. The message is better underfoot but wrap up well, that wind is going to be cold!
08:00. Back from our walk. A lot better underfoot at the moment but that North wind is starting to come in and it's a face acher! As it rises during the day and gets colder the wind chill will start to freeze wet surfaces and I think there is a good chance of black ice later on so take care, it could be cold enough to freeze even treated surfaces....
11:00. Second walk accomplished, we are in the warm now until tomorrow. That wind is cold, the Crombie and a thick fleece underneath is a good choice! One thing that is happening is that because the wind is colder than the ground it is tending to dry the water off so my fears about black ice later could be ill-founded. I hope so....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”