Winter 2014/2015

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Winter 2014/2015

Post by Stanley »

21:00 last night and the north wind was sending clouds across the moon, bitter cold but very dry. Same this morning but I can't see whether there is cloud or not. The glass is rising and is on 28.6". Forecast is for a clear bright day getting progressively colder until we get to -5C at midnight tonight. No frost at the moment and a constant NW wind that will make it feel much colder. What my mother would have called a 'healthy day'! Wrap up warm!
07:00. Back from our walk. Enough light to see that there are scattered clouds coming over from the North, some of them quite large. Very quiet out there, we only saw two people, both, I suspect, on their way home after an all-nighter. Bitter cold, I reckoned up and I had five layers of wool and fleece on. Not excessive in cold like this! I heard a lone bird singing as I crossed the car park and I marvelled that something so small could survive a night out in cold like this. Then I thought about the unfortunate people who don't have warm homes.... Lots to be thankful for!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was dry, bright and clear. By 21:00 the sky was clear and the cold strengthening. Glass was edging up all day and is almost up to 29" this morning. We have a hard dry frost (would you believe that the idiots at No. 2 swilled the yard yesterday and the water ran down the street where it is shot ice this morning....). Forecast is for a dry, bright but overcast day with a hard frost throughout. A light W/NW wind all day will take the wind chill down to -6C. A healthy day but wrap up well! No respite in sight, this weather is with us for the rest of the week.
08:00. A good bracing walk! Sky clear, ground like iron and the water is freezing at the edge of the beck. Good weather if you are dressed properly and full of good grub. I have a warm house and once again I am thinking about those who are not so lucky.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear as a bell again and a bitter frost. -9 on Shap this morning, I'd say we had about -5C at least but dry do no ice on screens.... Glass is steady on 29", full moon but no sign of a change yet. Forecast is for a clear, dry and sunny day with a light NW wind. They say temperature will get down to -6C but I suspect a trifle more than that. No respite in sight, the ground is iron hard and dry and the frost will be penetrating down to shallow water pipes.
07:20. Good bracing walk. Very cold with a light NW wind. Sky clear and the moisture on the roads is starting to freeze despite the salt. There could be some very surprised drivers....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I've been thinking of those poor people that are in WA's bushfire areas today. Good Luck.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Just back from visiting the caravan at Heysham, it was much warmer there with no sign of snow apart from the very tops of the mountains in the Lakes. All the snowdrops & crocus are out in the park in Lancaster, and we saw our first lambs of the season in a field off the motorway.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The influence of the heat in the sea Moh... No sign of it here. Clear as a bell again and at lest as cold as yesterday, feels like -6C. Glass is almost up to 29.4" so no sign as yet of a change. Forecast is exactly the same as yesterday but according to them slightly warmer. I haven't noticed it! Steady light NW wind, dry and very cold..... Good weather for long distance views Wendy. Be brave and venture outside!
07:30. I don't care what the Met Office says, it's colder out there than yesterday especially when you are facing into the NW wind which is stronger than they predicted. My face is glowing now I am back in the warm (But not chapped!). Almost perfectly clear sky, only the odd cloud coming over and mostly small. Healthy weather and dry underfoot. Things could be a lot worse!
08:00. I was shut down and on my way into the shed but then noticed something about the clouds. I can see them now. Last night at 21:00 I could clearly hear the bells at Gill; which lies due East from us. Now I can see the clouds it is clear that the Met Office have the wind totally wrong, they are saying it's NW but it's coming out of the East. I don't know that this makes a lot of difference but it's quite strange....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

North east now here, but beautiful and sunny.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm sure we have a frost but the sky looks overcast and there is hardly any wind. It feels like a frost but none on the car roofs as yet. Glass is up to 29.5" so settled weather still. Forecast is for a slightly warmer, generally overcast day but with sunny spells late morning. The wind tends towards the NE from dinnertime onwards and this evening there is a chance of a slight snow shower. Expected high of 3C later in the day. Another good walking day!
07:00. Back in the hutch after our walk. We get out a bit earlier each day! Still dark of course but the days are gradually lengthening. Very little wind, only just freezing and on the whole a very good morning for February Fill Dyke, Black or White!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear nigh and bright moonlight. Sharp frost this morning after a light shower late evening. Glass is almost up to 29.8" and still rising. Forecast is for a bright day with some overcast, a very light variable wind but always Northerly and temperature gradually rising. A good February day....
07:00. Back from our walk and it's a sharp but enjoyable morning. Hardly any wind and bone dry. This and better will do!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Calm and no frost this morning. Glass is up again at 29.9". Forecast is for a mild overcast day, dry, light and mostly west wind, expected high of 5C. A very kind winter's day. This and better will do!
06:30. We were out by six o'clock. Lovely walk, mild, calm dry underfoot and the birds are singing. A good start to the day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was foggy at 21:00 last night. This morning it's dry, clear and frosty. Glass is up again to 30", this is settled high pressure weather. Forecast is for it to be clear and bright until 09:00 when the fog will return but be blown away by the increasing West wind by 15:00. Remote chance of a shower of rain this evening. Getting warmer all day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Went for a drive yesterday around our recent bushfire areas. Awful to see the damage and it brought into perspective just how much area was burnt and how the wind was going every which way. Very eerie. It was nice to see home-made signs thanking the fire-fighters for saving homes. Some dams are still empty where the water had to be taken from. You can see lots of farms and towns getting back to normal.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Trees are all rimed with frost this morning from last night's fog.

(Duplicate of the one posted in Bank Edge View.)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I remember walking on Bleara Side in the 1950s and a steady wind was blowing freezing fog over the moor putting rime on all the trees and fences. The pig wire fences were fascinating as the black ice had built up into knife edges on the wires, they looked like louvres.
No frost this morning, calm and dry. Glass is back slightly at 29.8" but forecasters say it will rise again in a couple of days. Forecast is for an overcast day with the remote chance of light rain all day. Temperature is about 4C.
11:00. We've had two walks and it is a nice day, far better than the forecast suggested. Bright, patches of sunshine, mild and the birds are singing their hearts out. Things could be a lot worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mild, calm and overcast this morning. Yesterday was far better and brighter than the forecast suggested. Glass is slightly back at 29.7". Forecast is a re-run of yesterday. Perhaps it will be just as bright and cheerful! Good winter weather, we are doing well, almost half way through one of the worst months.....
By the way, I got news that I have qualified for a cold weather payment of £25 due to the recent frost.....
07:00. Back from a pleasant walk, much milder, calm, dry and good weather for mid-February!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dense fog at 21:00 last night. Dry calm and I think light overcast this morning. No frost. Glass is back slightly to 29.5". Forecast is again a rerun of yesterday. Light west wind, slight chance of a light shower almost any time and slightly cooler than yesterday. But on the evidence of the last few days it will be brighter than they say. Good weather!
06:30. Another good walk in pleasant conditions. Out at 06:00.... Still dark but things are improving!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Calm and mild this morning, there has been a light shower of rain. Glass is still falling slowly, 29.4" this morning. A gradual change in the weather as the Atlantic lows reassert themselves. Forecast is AWOL at the moment but it will be same as yesterday with perhaps a hint of rain in the air at times....
06:45, a pleasant walk on a mild morning with just a hint of rain in the air. Perfectly acceptable for mid-February!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We're having a heat-wave, a tropical heat-wave... (music please maestro)
Th 34C, Fri 36C, Sat 41C, Sun 34C :-(
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The equivalent in Barlick is 5C, very warm.....

Yesterday was a better day than the forecast, bright overcast and mild. Glass is down again to just under 29". Forecast is for a similar day but the wind has shifted to the SE and there is a greater chance of a shower mid-afternoon. Expected high of 6C.
Later at 08:00. The glass is falling fast, down to 28.8" in the last three hours. The forecast of rain this afternoon could be accurate. Meanwhile, another pleasant winter's morning.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Rain during the night but dry and mild at the moment. Glass is back up at 28.9" after falling much further during the night. The low must be passing over... Forecast is for a mild overcast day with slight chance of rain and a steady East wind that will gradually decrease during the day. High of 6C. Not bad for mid February!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Ringo

Post by Ringo »

Tonight's sunset......

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

One small shower yesterday but nothing to upset a very busy Town Square. Glass rising at 29.1". Forecast is for a very similar day today, still mild.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Roadside Blackberry Pickers out in hordes today on our travels, but I think they are a bit early and should be left another couple of weeks yet. Blackberries are considered a noxious weed here and many get killed off by council sprayers ( which is a bit strange as you can buy all the hedgerow canes -raspberries/blackberries/gooseberries/loganberries etc in the plant nurseries).
We didn't stop to pick any, but I imagine the few hundred yard stretches of them have been picked clean on the accessible side anyway.
Lovely day down our way....
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've had our walk Maz and it is very mild.... We did an extra half mile because I forgot the two letters in my pocket that needed posting.... Just tapped the glass and it is rising quickly, could be a better day then forecast....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It turned out to be a nice day with long spells of sunshine.... It started raining before 4AM and it is heavier now and looks persistent. Glass was rising yesterday but has fallen back to 29". Forecast is for rain until about 9AM on a southerly wind, then the wind swings to the West and the rest of the day is bright overcast... Expected high of 6C.
07:00. Latest forecast is for a sharp frost tonight. We've just had our walk in cold hard rain, bit of a change but I'm not complaining, it is February after all and the weather could be much worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”