Spring 2015

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Spring 2015

Post by Stanley »

Quiet calm morning with very little mist. Glass back slightly at 29.6". Forecast is a rerun of yesterday, bright day, expected high of 15C. Very light wind that starts in the east and swings round through north until it ends up SSE tonight. This and better.....
Off for our walk now.....
06:30. Lovely half hour stroll on a calm morning. The birds are singing their hearts out· I've often commented on the lack of fear in the black bird population of Valley Gardens. This morning, as I bent down to retrieve Jack's second delivery I found I was face to face with one of the birds as it foraged in the undergrowth. I was less than 18" from it. It cocked its head on one side, weighed me up and carried on with its search for breakfast! No fear at all.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Quiet start again to the day. Glass has fallen to 29.3" warning us of a change in the weather. Forecast for today is for another dry bright day but with an increasing wind from the South giving an expected high of 17C. As I write the sun has already broken through.
We have had our walk on a pleasant morning and the main thing to report is that the Crombie has been relegated to the wardrobe until next year. I just wore my old Hogg padded summer coat and was plenty warm enough. This is progress! By the way, I've been wearing the Hogg coat now for about 15 years, still as good as the day I bought it and it washes well. I think it cost £40, well worth it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Lovely sunny day - our neighbours have got their paddling pool out (I did not think it was so warm). We are warned of Sahara dust coming over the week end, not good for anyone with chest problems.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice day in Barlick as well. Shirt sleeves and summer hat again at dinnertime walk. This morning it's dry, mild and a moderate breeze from the west. Glass is down again to just below 29", a change in the offing. Forecast is for a good chance of a shower before noon with a constant moderate west wind all day. Brightens up after dinner but high of 8C at the moment will fall all day and even cooler tomorrow. Never mind, the rain will do the garden good! (Always look on the bright side....)

We've had our walk (06:30) in light steady rain and a moderate breeze. Bracing compared with the last few days but never mind, at least the wind is in the West and the rain will be doing good, we were getting a bit dry.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a dry night with a light breeze. It has just started spotting with rain so Jack and I will seize the moment and go out now at 06:00. See you in half an hour!
We're back. Only a sprinkle, bit like Jack's responses to all his weemail messages on the way round! Good brisk walk with no pain and so much better since I lost a stone. I often think that if they could bottle the beneficial effects of a walk like that it would be a best seller!
Glass is up slightly at 29.3" Forecast is for rain almost all day with the west/s west wind increasing until by midday there could be damaging gusts of up to 50mph. Expected high of 9C. No chance of putting my bedding out on the line!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The rain has set in now, it's surprisingly cold for a south westerly wind....feels bitter enough for snow!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Went for a nice walk this morning around my surrounding streets, there are streams and carpets of colourful autumn leaves everywhere, very crunchy underfoot. A few flowers left here and there, Winter is on it's way. Beautiful day with 24C, and 27C for Monday.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

?? :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've tidied it up Cathy.
Wendy, just been out for our second walk and you're right, it's cold nasty stuff and the wind has started gusting, far better inside. There was the occasional hailstone in it and I was thinking you could have some wet snow....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It got much colder yesterday. Cold and dry this morning with less wind. Glass is heading up again, just over 29.5". Forecast is for a dry day with some sun. Low probability of rain after dinner but warming up rapidly to an expected high of 11C as the SW wind strengthens during the day. CH never kicked in and I was glad when Jack popped into bed with me around midnight as a mobile hot water bottle! Funny how quickly we get used to warmer temperatures, the house was no colder than it had been all winter.....
Later at 11:15, we've two good walks, this morning was cold but pleasant, the short one we have just had has been shirt sleeves, lovely sunny day and much warmer.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cam. mild and dry this morning. The glass is back slightly at 29.4". The forecast is for a bright overcast day with the remote possibility of a light shower in the next couple of hours. A moderate WSW wind and an expected high of 12C. Not a bad day. It's almost 6AM. I think we'll have our walk and I'll report back....
07:00. We've had our walk and done some little jobs and our walk was a bit chilly in that wind but pleasant nevertheless. It could break out into another good day. No sign of the possible showers yet....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice sunny day yesterday, looks like a rerun today. Glass is back slightly again at 29.2". Forecast is very similar to yesterday, chance of a shower in the next three hours, moderate west wind, bright later and an expected high of 9C. We will go for our walk!
07:00. Back from our walk, all the little jobs done and my coffee brewed. Pleasant walk on a cooler morning, from the look of it they salted yesterday... Must have been anticipating a late frost. Birds singing well and the initial mist is lifting. We didn't get the forecast light showers yesterday, I wonder if it will be the same today?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We got the showers yesterday but nothing to worry about. Last night at 21:00 the light wind had shifted into the north. This morning is cooler, in fact the CH kicked in for the first time in a fortnight. The glass is tending to rise but steady on 29.2". The forecast is for a dry bright day. The very light wind will move round into the east during the day but even so we expect 12C. It's going top be a good walking day.
We have had our morning walk and it was OK, dry, almost calm and while cool, it was very pleasant.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

A very showery day and cold, it's 5.15 and I have just put the heating on (to22C), ready for a cosy evening. :smile:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Drizzly and grey at times here too, Cazza, but not cold. Still wearing T-shirts.
Get those leg warmers on old gal, stuff newspaper under the front and back doors, and cuddle up with the cat!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My heart bleeds for you as you both shiver your way into winter.....
Cool, dry morning here but a bit more overcast than of late. Glass is up very slightly at just below 29.3". Forecast is for a bright, dry overcast day with a moderate east wind that will hold the temperature back to an expected high of 11C dropped by 3 degrees by the wind chill. Quite acceptable for mid April though, things could be much worse. Off to the butcher's now.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

LizG

Post by LizG »

Cold here today too. Top of about 17C and at 4.30pm it's just starting to rain. We hope the rain keeps up we desperately need it.
Liz
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Are you a cold frog like Cazza, Liz?
17C isn't cold...14 C here...but that isn't cold either! ( still T-shirt weather in my book).
( :laugh5: Wots wrong wi' folk?)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Perhaps they aren't as well insulated...... (Ducks for cover under table.....)
Pleasant walk down to the butcher's doves and pigeons are billing and cooing and the Jackdaws in East Hill street are arguing over nesting sites in old chimney pots..... Sun has broken out early....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

14-15 is an average summers day in Rochdale, feels nice when the sun shines if it's not too windy. I am happy if it reaches 17!
If you keep searching you will find it
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

:grin: reasonably well covered, Stanley.
Thanks for mentioning that, but things could be worse. I don't think I could be put in the 'lost cause' bucket...
LizG

Post by LizG »

Marilyn wrote:Are you a cold frog like Cazza, Liz?
17C isn't cold...14 C here...but that isn't cold either! ( still T-shirt weather in my book).
( :laugh5: Wots wrong wi' folk?)
I'm the opposite Maz, I have my own internal heater. We were outside in t-shirts yesterday tidying up at Mum's. I don't call a top of 17 all that warm though.

And yes Stanley, very well insulated.
Liz
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

It's not so much the temperature, it's the conditions. 17C with sun can be lovely, but 17C with wind and rain is not. I prefer the cooler weather but just need warming up now and then :grin:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Apologies for the insulation reference.... I don't know what came over me....
This morning in Barlick looks like the same again. Cool, dry calm and the wind (what there is) could be in the east. Glass is rising strongly, up at 29.6" Forecast is for wall to wall sunshine all day, moderate east wind and an expected high of 12C. Good for the St George's Day celebrations over the weekend. The Barlick Town Team have been organising again!
07:00. We've had our walk on a sharp morning. Sun breaking through, birds singing and a tented encampment has sprung up on the green.... Intriguing....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Glorious sunshine - just been sitting on the patio out of the breeze and already changed colour.
Say only a little but say it well.

Return to “Seasons”