Spring 2015

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Spring 2015

Post by PanBiker »

Despite the meteorologists jumping the gun by almost three weeks we have arrived at the Vernal Equinox. Today is quite a unique day in the scale of things. It is the first day of Spring which this year coincides with not only a solar eclipse but a super moon as well.

So, enjoy the eclipse and the super moon which will briefly obliterate the light from our star, welcome to Spring 2015 and for our antipodean friends have a nice Autumn.
Ian
Cathy
VIP Member

Re: Spring 2015

Post by Cathy »

Beautiful day here in Adelaide with 22C, lots of huge white clouds against a brilliant blue sky and just a slight breeze.
Aah ! All is well, all is well, and all matter of things are well. :-)
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

:laugh5: Have you been breathing deep while using the Harpic again?

Actually she is right...beautiful day "darn 'ere" too.
And all is well, as well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We have a calm cool overcast morning. Eclipse could be hidden in Barlick.... Glass is back slightly at 29.6". Forecast is for a dry, overcast day with a steady light wind from the west. Expected high of 9C. Doubtful whether we will have a clear view of the almost total eclipse.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Sunny with a bit of hazy cloud just at the moment. Am wearing a colander on my head just in case I catch a glimpse of the eclipse. The day of the last eclipse in 1999 was the day we moved house and arrived here from Scotland, we were too frantic to notice much but I remember it getting quite dark and strangely quiet and it seemed quite portentous at the time!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Hot off the press here are my photos of the partial eclipse this morning, taken near Bridgwater, Somerset, UK. The photos run from right to left in the top row then same again in the bottom row, ie. the chronological order is:
The maximum effect was at 9.29am when we got `the smile'! We were able to watch the eclipse and take photos because there was partial cover with low misty cloud that prevented the sun being too bright. Very lucky really! I used the `point exposure' setting on my Canon G11 compact camera to force it to set for the bright centre; in normal, so-called, `intelligent' mode it took the clouds into account and over-exposed the centre.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Nice pictures Tiz, very similar here in Barlick, partial cloud cover. I had a look in the back yard with a pinhole camera, got a good image projected on a sheet of paper at maximum coverage for us. I watched most of it on TV though the BBC coverage from an aircraft flying above the Faroes to catch the totality was very good once they had sorted out the technicalities with a revised flight-plan for relaying the live video to the ground stations. Lots of images from others on our local Facebook sites.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Quite an event. I looked at the dun though a welding screen at 08:30 and saw the smile.... Glass is on 29". Forecast is almost the same as yesterday but brighter and colder due to wind shifting into the East and strengthening a bit. Still good March weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Calm and a sharp frost this morning. Glass is 29.6". Forecast is a re-run of yesterday , dry, bright and a gentle SW wind. Expected high of 8C.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

It's like Wuthering Heights here today...very windy...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Up later after a big sleep. Flags dry but there is a spatter of rain. Glass is back to 29.1". Forecast is for a small chance of rain in next three hours but then bright overcast all day. Wind is moderate from the west but decreases all day. Expected high of 8C.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry, clear and a sharp frost this morning. Glass is back sightly at 29". Forecast is for a bright overcast day with perhaps a slight chance of a light shower as cloud comes over. Light West wind all day tending to North late tonight. Expected high of 6C. Still good weather for late March!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Almost a clear sky, no frost but a heavy dew. Glass is steady just above 29". Forecast is for a dry bright day with a light variable wind, mainly from the East. Expected high of 7C.
We've had our first full morning walk since Friday, no problems at all for either of us, in fact I felt better than usual because of the benefits of being a stone lighter. (I have heeded this!) What was a heavy dew at 04:00 is now a sharp frost, sky clear, lovely morning... Now for some cooking!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cold hard rain at 04:00 and it is snowing now, big wet heavy flakes. Glass has dropped sharply to 28.6". Forecast is for this rain/snow to continue until about 09:00 and then gradually brighten throughout the day. There is a brisk wind, mainly from the NW all day and the wind chill will keep us close to freezing all day. Nasty weather! No rush to go out for a walk this morning.
07:30. We grabbed a lull in the rain and had our walk on a cold wet morning but nowhere near as bad as it was earlier on. Glad that's done!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Quite a bit of snow on Ingleborough etc. and a smattering on Pendle. Very cold with the wind chill.
Say only a little but say it well.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

During our recent bushfire's approximately 900 of our native animals were either killed or injured. After much TLC some of the badly injured ones are now ready to be returned to their natural habitat. Yeah Good News :-)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Moh is right, the snow was widespread yesterday but soon vanished. The forecast was accurate, it was cold wet and nasty until 09:00 then a strong cold breeze. Last night at 21:00 it was clear but the wind was even stronger and colder. Glass is up with a bump this morning to 29.2". Forecast is for a much better day, bright, dry and mostly overcast. A moderate west wind all day and an expected high of 7C with less wind chill.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The day tuned out OK after dinner yesterday and at 21:00 last night the sky was clear apart from enough wispy cloud to give the moon a halo. Light rain at 4AM this morning but it has cleared up now. Glass is down a shade at just below 29". Forecast is for rain at almost any time but some clear breaks. The wind is stronger and from the SW. This will give us an expected high of 11C. A gloomy but mild day....
Remember to change your clocks tonight!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

No gloom here Stanley, it's been 23C here today and same again for tomorrow :grin:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Jack and I were either smart or lucky, we hit a fair spell for our walk.... 23 C sounds nice though.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Jack and I are just back in the hutch after our morning inspection of the town. Light enough at 6AM to pick up dog muck. Usual late night revellers staggering home... Brisk wind giving a chill down to about 1C I think but dry. Overcast with clouds scudding across from the west. Glass is back to 28.5" looks and feels like more rain! Forecast is for rain for most of the day, it looks as though we chose well! Moderate west wind all day bringing down the expected high of 6C to around or below freezing all day. Not a good day for walking!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear and dry last night at 21:00. Same this morning with a strong wind driving clouds across the moon, Looks like a Northerly. Glass is rising now but still down on 28.7". Forecast shows a NW wind at the moment which will strengthen and be mainly from the west. Relatively dry until this afternoon when the chance of a shower increases. Forecast high of 7C but wind chill is going to make it feel nearer freezing. It looks as though we may be in for a last kick of winter weather in the next few days. Off for our walk....
06:45. Back in the hutch, there was a light shower just before we set off but dry thereafter. I was right about that wind! Despite the Met Office assuring us it was from the west it's definitely north and cold! Crombie and two skins underneath was not excessive. However, the birds are singing, the sky is clearing and I've seen worse mornings at this time of the year....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The shipping forecast this morning at 05:20 said it all, "Gales in all areas except Trafalgar". I sleep with the head of my bed under the window and it's always partially open all year round, I love feeling the cool air on my face when I am snuggled down with Jack! Last night the wind was howling and blustering almost all night. Butts Beck proves that there was quite a bit of rain as well. It was raining at 04:00 but we have just been for our walk and it's dry but very windy from the NW which makes it chilly. The glass is on 28.6" and tending to rise, I suspect it was a lot lower during the night. The forecast is for a very windy day from around the NW. There is a chance of a shower at almost any time with bright spells as the cloud races through. The wind chill will keep it feeling cold, as low as -4C at times. Later this evening there could be sleet or even snow on the wind. Winter has not quite left us yet!¬
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I am like you Stanley...can't sleep without fresh air no matter what the weather. Love a bit of a gale blowing in my face.
We have been down to 10C to 12C overnight, and that has sent Febby diving for extra granny rugs over the doona. I still can't manage even the doona, but have resorted to a top sheet for coverage. ( one night he even slept with his socks on!)

Today was warm and sunny, but had a special light to it, and I felt a contentment to see the long, warm, golden shafts in the late afternoon. They stir something in me, but it is just out of reach, and I can't quite define it. I see the message of enjoying these last weeks of full sunshine, before our world cools off. So I aired all the quilts and pillows today in the fresh air....
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Everything tight shut against the wind here, and I spent the night completely submerged in the duvet. If you opened a window just a tiny crack it would blow the windows on the other side of the house out! :grin:

Return to “Seasons”