Spring 2015

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Spring 2015

Post by Stanley »

The cold rain came in during the evening on a bitter west wind. This puzzled me a bit because the air flow off the Atlantic is generally temperate having been moderated by a long passage over relatively warm water. I went digging and found that the culprit was a competing low pressure system to the east of Iceland which is feeding super cooled air down to mix with the Atlantic air before it hits us. They aren't getting it further south. It seems to have rained on and off all night and this morning it is 'frozen rain' which is landing as ice and it's cold enough for this to freeze on the ground. Quite unusual for rain, in other words it's proper freezing rain. The glass is steady on 29" and whilst I am not sure if we have a proper frost it's bitter out there, could be some slippery road surfaces so watch out! The forecast is for these icy showers, interspersed by clear sunny spells, to persist all day driven by a brisk west wind. The expected high later in the day is 7C moderated by the cold wind and feeling very cold all day. The Met Office say that this is the coldest late April spell for many years and it won't be doing the opening blossom and green shoots any good. Jack and I will wrap up well and brave the elements!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We were lucky yesterday and had two dry but cold walks. Clear skies at 21:00 last night but cold heavy rain this morning. Cold enough to kick the CH in at low level even though the stove is lit. The glass is remarkably steady, it's dropped slightly to just below 29" as the low over Scotland moves south a bit. Forecast is for showers with bright spells until early afternoon. A brisk WSW wind all day and an expected high of 8C but it will never feel like that. Just popped my head out and it is still raining but less heavily. Wet weather gear and winter skins I fear this morning because even if the rain stops the ground will be soaked.....

06:30. We were lucky, the rain was slackening as we left the house and soon stopped completely. Good news for Jack! Raw and cold in that wind, April is definitely having a last go at us.... Doesn't look hopeful for the May Bank Holiday.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

When I first went outside to empty Jack at 03:30 this morning we had a calm morning with gentle cold rain. It has cleared up now and an early walk might be indicated! Glass is down slightly at 28.9" as the Scottish low moves slowly down against higher pressure in the south. This high pressure will win the battle later in the week and we shall see an improvement. The forecast for today is for a mainly dry bright but overcast day. The wind will swing round through the north and end up tonight from the east as the low moves through and dissipates. The wind chill will moderate the expected high of 9C and it will feel nearer to freezing for most of the day. A cold day but an improvement on the cold rain we have been having. There is a chance of a quite sharp frost tonight so cover those tender plants Wendy!
07:00. Back in the hutch. We had a small shower as we set off but it soon ceased. Cold but bracing walk round the town. The usual suspects are on their way to work or already hard at it. Like setting the market stalls up and Barbara in Barlic Bites getting ready for the butty trade. Things could be worse.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 21:00 last night the sky was clearing and the light wind from the NW was bringing in isolated fluffy clouds. There was no frost at 4AM but we have one now. Glass is slowly rising and is just over 29". Forecast for the first day of May is for a bright cold day. The steadily increasing ENE wind will moderate the expected high of 9C and it will feel much colder. I put a thinner shirt on this morning and added a tee shirt underneath as a vest. The Gods are punishing me for casting a clout too early! I may be opinionated but I'm not daft. Expect the temperature to rise in consequence.
Off to the butcher's now.....
07:00. Back in the hutch after a sunny walk in a sharp frost. A lovely morning and very quiet. I wonder of most people have today off as part of the Bank Holiday weekend...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Similar picture to yesterday but as yet no frost. Glass is steady on 29". Forecast is for a dry bright day until dinnertime and then a good chance of cold rain afterwards. The wind is in the east and will gradually strengthen to a moderate breeze. Expected high of 7C but it will never feel warmer than 3C because of the wind chill. Wrap up warm as you enjoy the holiday! Off for our walk......
07:00. Back in the warm. Barlick is quiet again.... Saw a grey squirrel in Valley Gardens, the first this year....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It rained cold rain yesterday after dinner. Drying up at the moment. Glass is down at 28.5" so the low is on us and moving fast. Forecast is for a cold wet start with the wind chill from the east wind making it feel like 1C. From dinnertime onwards things change as the low passes over, the wind swings into the west, it brightens up and the temperature rises rapidly to an expected high of 13C. This could be the change we have been waiting for! Expect the glass to rise equally fast and the weather to improve.
06:45. Back in the warm! The forecast was dead right about the cutting East wind and the cold rain. A nasty wet 'orrible morning! Surprising number of people about, all male, all with drink taken I suspect... The old Pigeon Club back door was open and from the sound of it there was am all-nighter going on. Glad to be back warm and dry, Jack has had a good rub down and is feeling no pain....
11:00. We've had our second walk and it's a top coat warmer! Good! (Dry as well.....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was raining at 4AM this morning but it's cleared up now. Glass is rising after hitting 28.5" during the night and it's much warmer. Forecast is for a bright overcast day with a moderate SW wind and an expected high of 14C. Much better weather! We had better go for our walk.....
06:30. Back home after a brisk walk on a fresh morning but much warmer. The proletariat will not have a beach day to round off the Mayday holiday but it will not be a washout!
10:45. Lovely morning for second walk. Shirt sleeves! They say there is a low coming up from the south and it will bring rain over the next few days. One thing about it, it should be warm rain and do the gardens good!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Raining first thing this morning and still raining now.... Glass is down to 28.2". Forecast is not good. Rain all day, the moderate wind is in the east at the moment but at dinnertime will swing into the SW as the low moves through. Good for the gardens but not good for anyone working outside today. Deep Joy! Jack and I will don full wet weather gear and sally forth.....
06:30. Back in the hitch and Jack rubbed down, he is feeling no pain! We were lucky the rain slackened and then abated and the wind from the East isn't quite as bad as the forecast suggested. Things could be worse!
11:00. We've just had our second short walk and shopping trip... Heavy rain but warmer than of late. Butts was running a banker this morning but it will be higher now....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry morning with clear sky and a brilliant moon first thing. Clouding over now. Glass has risen to 28.4" during the night after getting down to just over 28" last night. Forecast is for a showery day with bright intervals until early evening when it clears up. Wind is southerly at the moment but will veer to the west as the day goes on. Expected high of 9C. Late April showers! we'd better go for our walk......
06:35. Back from a sunny fresh walk with the birds singing. Surprising how chilly that south wind is but no complaints.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Not at all like Spring in Nelson today. Cloudy, rainy, windy and quite cold. Hopefully a 'bit' better tomorrow and milder by the weekend, we hope ! :cool4:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear and dry this morning up to now. Good day for voting! Glass is up at 29" and the forecast is for a dry bright day with a moderate west wind. Expected high of 10C.
07:20. Back in the hutch, trash taken out, vote cast, it's a good morning....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry clear morning with possibly a light frost. Glass is up slightly at 29.1". Forecast is for a bright day till dinner and a chance of a shower afterwards. Wind is light and in the East. Expected high of 11C but it will feel colder.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 21:00 last night we had heavy cold rain and it was still raining first thing this morning. Glass is back at 28.8" and the forecast is for a good chance of rain until early afternoon and then clearing up. The moderate west wind will abate through the afternoon and the expected high is 11C but will feel colder in the wind. Could be worse but not doing a lot to warm the soil yet.....
07:00. We were lucky, the rain abated as we went out but that wind is nasty, not to bad when it's blowing steadily but there are some very nasty violent gusts....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry and clear at 21:00 last night. Dry with some scattered high cloud this morning. Glass is almost up to 29.3". Forecast is for a slight chance of a shower in the next couple of hours with a light, mainly southerly wind. Bright overcast for the rest of the day and an expected high of 15C, an improvement!
06:30. Back from an acceptable early morning walk round the town. A surprising amount of traffic on the road heading out towards Gisburn. VE celebrations somewhere? There's a loaf in the bread machine and some two shear and kidneys on a bed of onions just starting its slow path to perfect meat stew... Not a bad start to the day.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was dry and almost clear first thing this morning at 4AM, high scattered cloud but just over an hour later we have cold rain. Glass is tending to fall but is on 29". Forecast is for the rain to cease by 09:00 and for a clear bright day after that with a mainly southern breeze and an expected high of 15C. Jack and I will brave the rain!
06:20. We were lucky! Full wet weather gear including wellies but Jack and I are back with dry coats. The southerly breeze is very mild, the birds are singing and it's the best growing morning I've seen so far this year. Things could be worse! (And with a bit of luck a shirt sleeve walk later....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not quite shirt sleeves yesterday but close, a very nice day. Dry and mild this morning. Glass is rock steady on 29". Forecast is for a mixed bag today, good chance of a shower during the day with bright intervals. Wind is mainly from the west, stronger and increasing as the day goes on. Expected high of 11C.
06:30.Back in the hutch after a pleasant walk, not as much wind as I expected but spatters of rain on the wind. Nothing to get worried about!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Our weather has been hovering around 15 to 18C for a couple of weeks now, with showers most days and at times very windy, nights are quite nippy. We still see the sun most days but not for very long, we have leaves everywhere and the gardens are looking quite damp.
Winter is just around the corner... (apparently Marilyn's weather is brighter and sunnier, even tho she is only 2hrs away ??)
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Haven't needed any heating on yet, Cazza.
Febby likes a granny rug on his side of the bed at night, but I don't find it cold.
We have had rain, but it is sunny most days.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm glad you are having settled weather. I was listening to a report this morning on the effect El Nino is having on the weather....
Here in Barlick it's breezy and sunny with scattered showers but nothing serious.... We've just had our second walk in bright sunshine....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear sky all night and almost certainly a frost developing. Glass is almost up at 29.3" as the weak low passes over us. From the charts, it looks like a clear day today and a very heavy band of rain tomorrow but mostly affecting the south. The forecast is for a dry bright day with an expected high of 13C. The west wind will gradually swing into the east as the low passes through but will always be light to moderate.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry and calm this morning. Glass is falling, 29.1" as a large low comes in from the Atlantic carrying a lot of rain but it looks as though this will mainly fall over the Midlands and the South. The forecast for Barlick is for a bright overcast and dry day with a moderate east wind rising in the middle of the day but falling as we get into evening. Expected high of 11C.
06:30. A pleasant walk on a sunny morning. You can't say much better than that at this time of the year. Things are moving in the garden, slow but steady growth by the hardy plants that have survived the winter.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We escaped the rain which afflicted places further South yesterday. It's dry and calm this morning. Glass is up slightly, almost on 29.3". Forecast is for a bright overcast day with a light east wind to start with but by mid morning this will have changed to SW and increases slightly. Chance of rain later in the evening but generally dry during the day. Expected high of 12C.

We were back in the hutch by 06@45 after a pleasant walk down to the butcher's. So good to be able to get a good start to the day, meat shoppimg done, Jack emptied and my lungs full of fresh air! It doesn't get much better than that.

11:00. Lovely second walk in full sunshine. Nice day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The light rain came in as expected yesterday evening and persisted through most of the night but this morning it has cleared and the flags are drying out. The glass is steady on 29.2". The forecast is for a bright but overcast dry day with a constant moderate west wind and an expected high of 10C. Unexciting but perfectly acceptable. We don't do extremes in Barlick!
06:45. Back into the hutch after a pleasant walk. The breeze is chilly at the moment but will warm up as the day goes on, very acceptable.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A dry breezy morning. Glass is climbing towards 29.4". Forecast is for an overcast day with a moderate west wind all day. Occasional light showers this morning and evening and an expected high of 10C. Again, nothing exciting but an acceptable late May day in Barlick.
07:00. A pleasant walk, hint of rain in the air but cloud is broken and there are occasional shafts of sunlight. Nothing to complain about!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cold rain at 04:00 this morning, still persisting as I write this. Glass is down at 28.8". Forecast is for a wet day, chance of a shower at almost any time. The moderate west wind will strengthen through the day dragging in cold air from a NW flow out in the Atlantic. Theoretically the high will be 9C but in practice it will never get to better than 6C and down to 2C for much of the day because of the wind chill. A cold nasty day, unseasonable for this time of the year when the average temperature should be around 15C. Not impressed!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”