Spring 2015

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Spring 2015

Post by Stanley »

We had another good day, bright sunny and not cold. This morning we have a clear sky and a SW breeze. Glass is up very slightly at just above 29.1". Forecast is for another bright overcast day with the chance of a light shower at teatime. It will be cooler as the SW wind strengthens during the day. Expected high of 13C. I have ditched my vest again! I think it may be OK this time......
06:30. Nice walk on a fresh breezy and sunny morning. The trees are looking lovely with the low sun shining in under the leaves. Our season may be late but it's certainly worth the wait when it gets going....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We had a great day here yesterday with 21C. Took a long walk around the bay and back.
Today is cooler, overcast and windy. Just our regular walk later I think. I have a bit of a job getting His Lordship enthused about going out in the wind/rain/cold etc. If you have ditched your vest, Stanley, I have a man here who needs one.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have more tee shirts than you could poke a stick at.....
It came in cooler here last night because the forecast SW wind turned into WNW as it abated last night at about 20:00. Calm and dry this morning. Glass is up at 29.5". Forecast is for more sunshine today than yesterday but expected high is the same at 13C because of the shift in the wind to WNW. Mind you is is a lighter breeze than yesterday which got quite blustery.
07:00. Back in the house and almost ready for the shed. That wind is still tending towards WNW and is chillier than it should be at this time of the year but no complaints, it's a good dry morning and looks set fair....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I don't know what happened today, one forecast said 20C with sun, the other said 18C with sun.
All I know is that I have been chilly all day and tonight I am in my pjamies early and I have the heater on.
We are 'told' we are to expect 17C with 80% rain for our Queens Birthday public holiday tomorrow.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We wish we could get 17C Cathy. If there is one thing that is dominating the weather so far this year it's that cold air coming down from the Arctic and affecting us in the north. Kent has 27C day before yesterday, we have 16C. Yesterday was sunny and bright but the WNW wind kept us down to 13C. The glass is up again at 29.7". Outside it is clear and cool with hardly any wind, there will have been frosts further north. Forecast is for it to be sunny until dinner and a chance of rain after that. The wind will be light all day, starting WNW but swinging round through the north until by afternoon is is easterly. Again, we shall not see temperatures over 12C. Overall the consequence of this pattern of weather is that things are cooler and dryer than in a 'normal season', Question is what is normal?
One thing is certain, after looking at the forecast my bedding is in the washing machine.... I can get it washed and dried before dinner!
06:15. We've had a nice sunny walk on a calm morning with a heavy dew. No complaints but later that wind will swing round through the North and could bring some cold rain in. This is the best part of the day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

The wind was in our face all the way up into the Forest of Bowland yesterday on our 23 mile loop round the lanes. Lots of sun but never quite warm enough to take the top layer off. Last week, I did more or less the same route with just shorts and T shirt, plenty warm enough then. Plenty of mowing and ploughing going on though, love the smell of new mown meadow.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear and calm again this morning with a dew. If we had a warmer wind this would be good summer weather! Glass is up slightly again, heading for 29.3". Forecast is for another bright day with no rain forecast. The light wind swings round all over the place, mostly in a northern quarter, until it settles in the east late tonight. Expected high of 14C, slightly higher than yesterday but the wind will keep it below that for much of the day. Could be warmer over the next two days.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another calm, clear and cool morning. Glass is back slightly at 29.6". The forecast is for a settled sunny day with a steady light east wind and an expected high of 16C. Possibly the best forecast so far this year but still moderated by the east wind.
06:25. Back in the hutch after a very pleasant walk in lovely weather. Still cool but a clear sky, full sin and no sign of the young Jackdaw in Valley Gardens. All quiet and the birds are singing their hearts out..... I love these light mornings but am aware that in 11 days the days will start drawing in again.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

15C today, lots of comments about cold it has felt. It will be 3C overnight and must be our coldest so far.
15C for Thursday with sunshine. Should be quite 'fresh' :grin:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We'll be warmer than you both night and day today Cathy......
Slightly more cloud this morning but still clear and sunny at the moment. Hardly any wind. Glass is down slightly again at almost 29.4". Forecast is for a day of full sun moderated by a light easterly wind giving us an expected high of 18C, our warmest day this year so far. Not a lot to complain about here.... This is Barlick summer!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Cathy wrote:15C today, lots of comments about cold it has felt. It will be 3C overnight and must be our coldest so far.
15C for Thursday with sunshine. Should be quite 'fresh' :grin:
I know you are not quite in Winter yet Cathy but if our temperatures were the same as yours through the seasons everyone in Barlick would be sat outside in TShirts. :wink:
Ian
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

It's been a 'leg-warmers' day today and I have just popped the heater on
7pm Brrr... Things are looking up tho, we are expecting a fine day of 18C tomorrow :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a lovely day Cathy and today looks to be starting out the same way but there is a little warning sign in that the glass is steadily falling, it's on 29.1" this morning. A slow steady fall usually means a prolonged change in the weather for the worse. Perhaps we are seeing the end of the summer spell! The Forecast is almost exactly the same as yesterday except that cloud will start to come in during the afternoon. The east wind is slightly lighter and the expected high is 20C. Enjoy it while you can!
We were back from our walk at 07:00. A lovely calm sunny morning. It doesn't get much better than this and we are lucky, the South may have enjoyed higher temperatures and warmer winds but they are looking at a thunderstorm day. This includes Tiz down in Somerset.... We shall see what tomorrow brings.... (The glass is still tending to fall...)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had a lovely day yesterday. It started spotting rain at 03:40 this morning as I took Jack out for his morning pee. It is raining steadily now. Good! We need it. Glass is down again slightly at just below 29". Forecast is for an overcast day with the chance of a shower almost any time. Wind is a light easterly or later SE. Expected high is 13C. Not a bad day, a bit of warm rain will do the gardens good and freshen up the trees and grass. Should be good for the insects as well....
06:45. Back from our walk. They got the forecast wrong.... We have steady warm rain, just heavy enough to do real good. No complaints!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain eased off yesterday and we had a warm growy day. It is overcast, dry, calm and mild this morning. The glass is on 29" and tending to rise. Forecast is for an overcast day with a small chance of a shower almost any time and a very light variable wind that swings from west, through north and settles in the east later. Expected high of 11C. A very quiet day which again, could turn out better than the forecast.
06:30. Back from a nice quiet walk round the town. Overcast but very pleasant. Mark the street cleaner is busy round the town clearing up after the 'revellers'. (drunken bums actually who leave their litter all over the place) One or two things caught my attention but mainly how green everything is....

The Green and Valley Gardens look good after the recent rain.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote:It started spotting rain at 03:40 this morning as I took Jack out for his morning pee!
Be careful and keep a sharp eye out for elephants at that time of the morning.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rmany.html
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

China, you'd be amazed at what you come across first thing in the morning. I found a body in the back street one morning and saved an old lady's life by getting the ambulance. One morning a young deer was trotting down the side of the Co-p;, latest strange sighting was a rat running between my legs a few days ago. But I've never seen an elephant......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday remained overcast but generally dry and mild. The glass is up to 29.3" as a high pressure area develops over the UK. Forecast is for a bright overcast day with good sunny spells, no rain. The light ENE wind swings round through the south during the course of the day and ends up in the west this evening. Expected high of 15C. Barlick summer again!
06:30. Nice walk on a sunny morning but much cooler than it felt early on. There are isolated reports this morning of pockets of frost in the North. This will be the last frost until back end and bears out what I have constantly reminded you of, the second week in June is when we can heave a sigh of relief!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We started this morning at 4AM with high scattered cloud and a dry, calm, bright morning. It then deteriorated into general overcast and at the moment is brightening up again. The glass is slowly rising and is on 29.4". The Shipping Forecast this morning is a uniform picture of light variable winds all round the Isles, one of the most benign forecasts I have ever heard. We are under the influence of a large high pressure system which is very slow moving. Our forecast is for a bright overcast day with sunny spells, no rain and a constant light to moderate west wind. The expected high is 17C. We've had our walk already and it bears this out, a very pleasant morning, not a scorcher but who needs that! Things could be a lot worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was heavily overcast but dry first thing this morning. Light rain now. Glass is back a touch at 29.2". Forecast is for rain until about 17:00 with a moderate breeze that starts in the SW and gradually swings to the NW via the south this evening. Expected high of 14C so a bit cooler. We need the rain so no problem with this.
06:30. Back after a pleasant walk in intermittent but light rain. No foul weather gear needed. But it's getting gloomier as I write and I suspect the forecast is accurate and there is much more to come. Jack and I may have had the best of the day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry first thing but noticeably cooler under the influence of a NW wind. Still dry with a partially clear sky with high cloud, still cooler. Glass is steady on 29.2" Forecast is for am overcast day with perhaps a slight chance of a light shower late morning. The wind will settle to a moderate westerly all day with an expected high of 13C if we are lucky. The rain yesterday wasn't excessive but has done the grass and gardens good. Things could be worse!

06:05. We had an early walk. That breeze is still NW and it's cool but otherwise OK. One or two threatening clouds in the NW but it doesn't feel like rain. Not a bad morning......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

13C in Adelaide today, mostly cloudy but can still see lots of bright blue sky.
I was brushing my cat this morning while she was laying in one of her 'sun-spots' and it was actually really quite warm with the sun's heat coming through the window.
12C/13C for our weekend and much the same.
No rain forecast until next week, and then only showers. All good here :cool4:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

They got the wind direction a bit wrong. I was out of town all day but at 21:00 last night it was NW and a bit chilly! Glass is steady on 29.2" and the forecast is for the wind to stay in that quarter all day with a chance of rain almost any time. Expected high of 12C is cooler than yesterday. This chilly spell arrived just as I let the stove go out and the CH had to be turned off because of the faulty valve. Also, because I was out all day no activity in the house so no waste heat to warm things up. House is colder this morning than at any time during the winter and I have my vest and waistcoat back on. Only temporary of course but sod's law strikes again!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I noted last night that we had a stiff breeze coming in from the NW, not what was forecast at all! The CH cracked on during the night and this morning. This morning first thing it was grey, overcast but calm and dry. We've had our walk and a very fine mizzle is setting in. The glass is steady on 29.2" and the forecast is for a good chance of rain until early evening with a moderate SW wind which will warm us up slightly, possible high of 15C. Not a very exciting or indeed summery day but things could be worse!
On a cheerful note.... Tomorrow is the longest day. From then onwards the days start to shorten as we approach winter..... (Sorry about that!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The wind was a genuine westerly last night and it was a topcoat warmer. Mild, calm and dry this morning. Glass is back a bit at 29", not a good sign. Reinforced by the shipping forecast this morning. For the last few days they have been very quiet bit more wind reported this morning round the coast. Forecast is for an overcast day with perhaps the chance of a shower before 10:00. Moderate west wind (So they say! But they have been wrong lately.) and an expected high of 13C so not flaming June yet! (I've just poked my head out the door and it's overcast with just a hint of mizzle in the air. Good time for our walk I think!)
Back in the house at 06:00. Longest day, earliest walk. Two lads in Albert Road ringing for a taxi, "We're in Barlick I think". Mark the streetsweeper is about and busy. Light mizzle part of the way but otherwise not bad. The wind is definitely a westerly and it's not quite as cold.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”