Spring 2015

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Spring 2015

Post by Stanley »

Clear sky, very little wind and a heavy dew. Glass back a little to just under 29.6". Forecast is for the chance of a light shower almost any time before noon but bright afterwards. The East wind will pull the expected high of 10C back a bit because of wind chill but still a good day and warming up in the next few days.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
LizG

Post by LizG »

Top of 14C, lots of wind and rain. Freezing!
Liz
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Jack and I have just had our second walk and the east wind isn't as bad as forecast. Not what you'd call warm but certainly acceptable for April. We are promised fine weather early in the week.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Top coat colder today.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Light shower during the night. Clear sky, light wind and dry this morning. Glass is steady at just above 29.5". Forecast is for a bright overcast dry day with a very light east wind that swings into NW late tonight. Forecast high of 16C with 1C wind chill. Looks like a nice day.....

Jack and I were back from our early walk at 07:00. Misty and a heavy dew which must have been close to a frost because the CH kicked in briefly at 06:00. Full sun in a clear sky now, a perfect April day.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Does anyone have people in NSW? The east coast there has had wild weather and lots of damage, similar to a category 2/3 cyclone. SES have told people there not to walk, ride or drive into or around Sydney. Looks bad.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No word from may of my friends on the East coast....
Cool dry and calm morning here. Glass was rising slowly last night and is slightly over 29.2" this morning. Forecast is for wall to wall sun all day with a breath of east wind and a high of 15C. Couldn't be much better!
Later at 07:10 after a very pleasant walk. Jack met a couple of his mates and a new pup. No tern was left unstoned! Heavy dew cool enough to make your breath steam down in Valley Gardens. The birds singing their hearts out and a perfectly clear sky with full, but as yet, low sun. It doesn't get much better than this and I couldn't help thinking how lucky we are. Imagine what it's like in the concrete jungles....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Lovely sunny day here too.
Just popped out for an evening walk. I found it very pleasant out, but Febby complained his cheeks were freezing. That man has no blood flow... :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My ears get cold before my cheeks but it takes a very cold morning to do it....
Clear sky, calm and a heavy dew outside at the moment. Glass has risen slightly to 29.8". Forecast is exactly as yesterday, full sun for most of the day, no rain, a very light east wind and an expected high of 16C. This will warm the soil but we are getting very dry, we need warm rain to get things going. There is a very good blossom forecast just like last year at this time. Could be another good set and fruit harvest.... Good news for the birds!
06:50. A very nice early walk. Calm, slightly misty but clearing, clear sky and low sun. Two very friendly dogs for Jack to interact with. A beautiful late April morning. It doesn't get much better than this!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another calm clear start to the day here in Barlick. Glass is dropping, back down to almost 29.4" this morning, a small change is on the way..... The forecast is a repeat of yesterday except that the very light east wind will be in the west by this evening but still very light. Plenty of sun today again and an expected high of 16C. The change is coming in very slowly. Time for our walk!
07:00. A good brisk walk in shirt sleeves and a fleece lined waistcoat on a lovely early spring morning. The flow on Butts Beck is slowing now to a trickle, we need some rain and hopefully that will come after tomorrow but for today, a lovely day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Lovely day here too. Enjoyed a walk just after lunch. Lots of stunningly colourful birds about, including Rainbow Loikeets, Rosellas and Major Mitchell Cockatoos.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Glad you're enjoying your weather. Jack and I have just been for our short dinnertime trot, he met a mate and delivered the third and final bowel movement of the day.... These things are important! Lovely sunny warm day, shirtsleeves and straw hat... It doesn't get much better.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear calm morning again at 03:30. Glass is giving us a goo clue, it's dropped to just above 29" Forecast is for a bright sunny day until teatime. The west wind will slowly strengthen during the day and by this evening the rain clouds will be rolling in from the Atlantic. At the same time the temperature will start to drop from today's expected high of 14C. For a couple of days we will be in single figures again and frequent showers.
Could this be because I cut my hair last night and cast off my vest this morning? Perhaps the weather gods mistook it for a Rain Dance!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Premature Vest Disposal...or PVD for short.

We've had another pleasant walk in the sun today, though whilst we were nearing home Cazza texted to say she was cold and expecting nasty weather. Hard to believe we are only 2 hours drive from her...
Perhaps we will get the edge of it tonight, but nothing visible yet.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I like PVD.... We've been to the butchers and I was surprised by how bad visibility was, less than 100 yards so I think we can call it fog. As I write it is burning off in bright sunshine....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Beautiful morning when we went shopping at 9am - by 11am the temperature had dropped and it was cold.
Say only a little but say it well.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

[quote="Marilyn"]Premature Vest Disposal...or PVD for short.

Or even divestment'

I'm tempted to change it in wikipedia - but I don't know how to do it. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree with Moh. By 11:00 the cloud was coming in, the sun had gone and the wind felt more NW than west. The light rain came in early evening and has persisted all night. The glass is down, close to 28.7" and it's cooler. Forecast is for a high probability of showers until early evening. A slightly stronger wind mainly from the west but veering occasionally to SW or NW. Expected high of 11C but it will feel cooler.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Chances are he re-in-vest-ed this morning...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No Maz, no need because I went into a thicker shirt at the same time. I'm adventurous but not silly! Just my normal summer coat over the top and no problem during our walk. Amazing how well I am walking now I have lost some weight.... A great incentive!
Dry walk but there will be light rain again ere long.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I've only ever known thin shorts.
To me, thicker shorts are rather like short-sleeved jumpers. There would likely be about 2days a year here that you could wear either of them ( and you would feel right funny because folk would be looking at you and scratching their heads).Hence they have never really taken off in Oz.
cooler here today for ANZAC DAY...a few showers...and I had to find some socks tonight for the first time in about 9 months. Still not cold enough to put the heater on though.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

For 'short' read 'shirt', the eyes again! It brightened up after dinner and we had a dry night. Clear sky and no doubt s frost before daylight. Glass is up at 29". Forecast is for wall to wall sunshine all day with a light NW wind. Expected high of 9C but a wind chill all day. Things could be worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

ha ha :laugh5:
now I imagining you putting a shirt on your legs and wondering what to do with the neck hole...and how to stop the wind bothering you...

repeat of yesterday here, though I haven't had to put socks on.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No problems Maz.... (You do have a vivid imagination.....) I was right about a frost developing. We've just had a glorious walk on a clear, calm frosty morning. Birds singing their hearts out and a perfect late April morning.....
11:00. Late morning short walk in lovely sunshine. Fleece lined waistcoat and shirt sleeves Maz..... Lovely day....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear sky at 21:00 last night and it soon developed into a sharp frost. Reports this morning of as low as -7C in rural areas in Northern England and Ireland. Glass is steady on 29". Forecast is for a cold bright day but with the chance of some showers later this afternoon and this evening.. Expected high of 8C but the wind chill from the strengthening SW wind will pull this down. The message is to wrap up and seek the strong sun out of the wind! I was up early this morning so Jack and I will have an early walk.....
06:15. Back indoors after a bracing walk on a calm cold morning, cold enough to make your nose and ears tingle. Birds just getting going after a night in the cold. How they survive beats me....

06:40. Back in the warm. Very strange weather. When we first went out the low sun from the East was shining in under the heavy dark could moving swiftly in from the est. These clouds delivered a short heavy shower of hard snow or soft hail, take your pick. The good thing was it bounced off me and Jack without wetting us and by the time we got back it was a clear sky and full sun until the next bank comes in. Proper April showers! Cold enough for there to be ice on the paths down in Valley Gardens but that's a frost trap anyway. On the whole, interesting but we are both glad to be back in the warm! (My ears are tingling as they warm up again!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”