Summer 2015

Cathy
VIP Member

Re: Summer 2015

Post by Cathy »

WP_20150912_12_02_54_Pro.jpg
Spring is here for the weekend, 25C today and a bit warmer tomorrow.
Lovely to walk the streets and see all the blossom trees.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Sneezing my head off here, Cazza...
But it is nice to see my toes again, as it is back to thongs.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very light rain first thing this morning, it's set in now as steady rain. Looks like an early bath for Jack! The glass is well down on 28.5" It looks as though a low has taken over from the high pressure we have been enjoying of late. Forecast give rain until about 10AM and brightening up after that. The moderate SE wind will swing to SW by the end of the day and the expected high is 14C. Bit of a change.....
06:45. Back indoors. Quite heavy rain now, Jack was soaked! Good for his coat and he just ignores it. We had the town to ourselves and the Town Square clock is half an hour slow.... Must be because of yesterdays leccy problems.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Pleasant Sunny day in London, and T Shirt weather, if just a bit breezy at times blowing around some paper scrap I was using to do some engine cleaning. Later as sun was setting it got cooler (unsurprising) , so turn in and put the long sleeves on instead. As cleaning is nothing more than transferring dirt to somewhere else, I note T-shirt was old one as it wont ever get a wear out in best again...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The S wind yesterday was very warm and in between the showers it was very growy. By 20:00 last night the sky was clear and it is still clear this morning, stars sparkling and it's much cooler despite the light S wind. The glass is just above 28.5" and tending to rise. The forecast is for a dry, bright overcast day with sunny spells and a high of 15C. The light S wind will swing through SE and end up as an easterly late tonight. The trend is for cooler weather, the ''Indian Summer' could be over....
Later... we were out for our walk in almost darkness at 06:00. Clouds coming in on the southerly breeze... The town was deserted, lovely!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear sky and a nip in the air this morning at 4AM. There is a heavy dew.... The glass is down on 28.3" suggesting that we may be in for some wind and rain.... The forecast bears this out, the day starts of dry and overcast and from 9AM onwards there is a chance of a shower at almost any time as a front moves in from the South. The wind is east all day, never more than a moderate breeze but enough to keep the temperature down to not much above 10C.
Back in the hutch at 06:30 despite it getting darker and darker at 6AM. Calm and dry and I think a touch colder than the forecast. Cold enough to make your nose run.... If you have any frost sensitive plants outside it may be a good time for bringing them in, I get the feeling we are not far off a frost....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The older I get the more I understand weather systems and what we are getting at the moment fascinates me. A low pressure system in the Atlantic combined with the dying remnants of a large tropical storm that in turn was triggered by the El Nino event in the eastern Pacific. So the gales coming in from the SW into the West country today are a result of global events.
It was relatively calm and raining gently first thing this morning and it's the same now. The glass is still falling and is down at 28" this morning, a very low reading. The forecast is for a wet morning but brightening up later. The wind has swung round 180 degrees and is in the west, tending towards the north but is only light to moderate. The theoretical high is 14C but will feel nearer 11C for most of the day.
06:40. Back from a pleasant walk on a calm dry morning in rain washed streets. The rain abated just as we went out and is starting again now.... just right!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The day followed the forecast and by dinnertime the sky had cleared and we had a bright afternoon. Still a clear sky at 20:00 last night. At 4AM this morning it was still clear but as I write some cloud is coming in and it is cool. The glass is rising from yesterday's low and is heading towards 28.2" on my barometer. This isn't absolutely accurate when it is at the extremes of its range but the movement is the important thing and is a good predictor. The forecast is for a bright start with sunshine but gradually clouding over as the day goes on. The wind at the moment is very light and variable but later will settle down into a generally NE flow and be a moderate breeze. Very low chance of any rain and the NE wind will make the theoretical high of 14C feel more like 11C. We are doing far better than the south, they are getting to remnants of the tropical storm with high winds and heavy rain, we are definitely getting the clean end of the stick today!
06:45 Back home after a bracing walk on a calm clear morning cold enough to make your breath steam, a very heavy dew... Noticeable how the leaves are turning in Vally Gardens. Susan and I commented on the same thing in Burnley yesterday....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We've had an almighty thunderstorm today, I had just got into my local shops and out of the rain when it struck. While walking under a glass domed roof area the thunder suddenly cracked so loud that all the shoppers jumped, some swore, and then just looked up and around. I think some thought a bomb or fire-arm had just gone off.
It was funny but not funny at the same time:)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

What a glorious day. Had a walk into town, for a late breakfast, before heading off to the office. A bit of sunshine feels good on the face.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Thought it had to be wet & windy!! The glass has dropped though.
Say only a little but say it well.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Sunnyish to start, clouded over before I could get extra work done between the two garages, but achieved more than I thought, rain, then a early afternoon lull, raining more now. Such is overcast London.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Blue sky and sunny here in Horwich.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There were some isolated thunderstorms in the SE Cathy but nothing here. It was a nice day yesterday. The sky is clear at the moment and it's cool. The glass is steady on 28.1". Quite low for such good weather.... The forecast is a re-run of yesterday apart from the fact that the wind has swung into the west. Heavy dew already so another nice day coming.... Theoretical high of 14C will feel like 12C.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

All is well today, we are having a glorious Spring day. 16C warm and bright, very relaxed feel
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

All is well here too Cathy. We were back in at 06:30 from our walk on a cool, clear and calm morning with a very heavy dew. Since then I have hung a duvet cover out on the line (I decided today was a good day for washing bedding) and made a sauce, onions, garlic, tomatoes, Sardines, Tomato purée, olive oil and vinegar (I know, it will make Maz's toes curl) and after an initial blast in the frying pan to brown the onions it's in a saucepan and when it is thoroughly heated I shall put it on the stove in the front room....
I'm feeling very smug....... Good start to the day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a nice day yesterday but surprisingly bad for drying the duvet covers.... There has been a very light rain shower this morning and it's still damping now. The glass is rising as the recent low moves on. It is on 28.5" this morning. The forecast is for a bright overcast day after a shower in the next hour. (This will fit in well hopefully with my walk because I'm going later this morning, I want to catch the lads at B&D and they don't start until 07:30) The wind is light and variable, almost calm and it will settle down into a very light easterly though the day. Theoretical high of 15 but more likely 14C. Not a bad outlook for the weekend....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It soon faired up yesterday and was a pleasant day but cool. Calm, overcast and dry first thing this morning, it's exactly the same now. The glass is up again at 29", the low has evidently left us and we are having a brief spell of high pressure. The forecast bears this out. We are promised a bright overcast day with a constant light west breeze and a theoretical high of 16C but it will feel more like 14C. The outlook for the next few days is for it to get colder.....
We ignored the dark and had our walk in an almost deserted town.... Back in the hutch at 06:25, a good start to the day! There are breaks in the cloud coming in slowly from the west and while it is cool, about 8C I think, it's a nice morning.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Misty and cool first thing this morning, still the same now and if anything, colder. Not long now until the first grass frost. The glass is still trying to rise but hasn't quite reached 29.1". The forecast is for a slightly cooler day than yesterday with heavier overcast and the chance of a light shower during daylight hours. Later in the evening the chance of rain increases. The light and mainly SW wind will be constant all day. The theoretical high is 14C but will feel more like 12C. The high pressure that has given us settled weather for the last few days is petering out.

We waited until it was light and the mist is even thicker now. A skein of geese flew over low enough to hear their wings beating but they were invisible. Wendy will get a good 'mist in the bottoms' pic this morning!
One for our Aussie contingent enjoying the start of summer!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No mist this morning, there has been a light shower during the night but the flags are dry now. The glass is back at 28.7". The forecast is for rain until mid day and clearing up after. The wind is slightly stronger, a moderate S wind swinging into the west for most of the day. The theoretical high is 13C but will feel more like 11C.
06:30. We are back from our walk and it's just getting light. There is fine rain blowing in on the wind but no actual rain yet. I don't think it's far away! Very noticeable now how the days are drawing in, heavy overcast like this morning's means we have to go out in the dark.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Calm with a light drizzle this morning. The glass is down to 28.3". The forecast is for a bright, dry, overcast day with a light NW breeze. Theoretical high of 14C but it will feel like 11C.
It was 06:30 before it got anywhere near light this morning. The weather forecast got it slightly wrong in that it was raining when we went out but it improved and as we were coming back half an hour later there were breaks in the cloud coming down from the North.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Autumn has arrived at last, Summer topic is now closed, post your Autumn observations here:

Autumn 2015
Ian

Return to “Seasons”