Summer 2015

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Summer 2015

Post by Stanley »

I was up early this morning enjoying my clear view of the world.... At 03:15 the sky was clear and the flags dry, the same conditions now as I write. The glass is down slightly at almost 28" but again, a very slow and gentle change which is always a good sign. The forecast is for a dry bright day with a moderate W/NW breeze and an expected high of 16C. I am going to get out there for a walk and enjoy the sights!
06:00. Back after a very enjoyable walk! Chilly but calm and clear. This is not summer weather.... It was a delight to be able to see clearly, saw the Wagtails on Butts Beck... I bet they've been there all the time.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A cool clear and almost Autumnal morning with a very light breeze and a heavy dew. We were out early for our walk and back at 06:15. The trees look lovely with the low sun shining in underneath them but they are showing signs that they don't like this dry spell. The glass is still hovering around 28". The forecast is for a bright sunny start with a light mainly easterly breeze which will strengthen to moderate and bring in quite heavy rain by late morning. The expected high is only 13C, well below the seasonal average. However, look on the bright side, Wendy and the trees will be grateful for the rain, Wendy for her water supply and the trees for a cool bath!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I just wish the rain was going to hold off till this evening! This afternoon we launch the "Wartime Walk" through the woods in Wyke based on Mum's letter. I have been asked to read sections of the letter as we follow the trail but that won't work very well if it is chucking it down.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I hope it wasn't too bad. Never mind, your spring will be enjoying it!
The rain came in on time yesterday and though not heavy it was persistent. The flags were damp this morning but it was not raining, just popped my head out, heavy overcast and a hint of rain in the wind. Glass is well down at 28.3" as the low passes slowly over us. Forecast is a re-run of yesterday, very light wind all over the place, frequent showers all day and the temperature will struggle to get to 13C. Not high summer! An early walk is indicated!
05:35 and we are back in the hutch after an early walk. I think we did well, the rain is just starting to get heavier. Despite the long spells of rain, there has been no serious weight yet. The Dam at Butts is still not getting any water over the cill. What there is is going down the mill race or leaking though the stonework. Never mind, the growth in allotments and fields will be enjoying it.
07:00. Just heard a weather man saying that there is no sign of any change towards more summery weather until 'the early part of August'. Deep Joy!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Persistent light rain almost all day yesterday and cool, same this morning and heavy overcast, it has only just become light. The glass is still low on 28.5" and steady so no relief in sight. Forecast is virtually the same as yesterday, rain all day, light wind all over the place until late morning when it settles in the west. I suspect the Butts Beck will be higher this morning and I bet Wendy's spring is recovering. Not welcome weather but the land needed a good slow soak.
06:40. Back in the hutch after what was definitely a wet walk. Wellies and Barbour for the first time for ages!

I was right about Butts Beck. No water over the cill yesterday but a banker this morning. The ground water is on the move again and there has been enough rain to give the land a good soak. Now we need it to abate!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's cold this morning, not cool! We have a light NW wind, the clouds are thinning and the flags are drying out. The glass is rising slowly and is on 28.7". The forecast is for a dryer day but showers later on in the afternoon. Expected high of 15C. Not summer but a slight improvement!
I had mail from Uncle Bob this morning reporting that in St Louis they have 'wet blanket weather'. 37C and 80% humidity with frequent spot thunderstorms. I think I'll stick to our weather thank you!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 03:30 this morning it was just starting to rain on dry flags. We've had our walk and while it is fair at the moment there has been rain already this morning. The glass is back up to 29", a good sign.... The forecast is for a largely dry day but overcast. A light breeze will come mainly from the NW and keep temperatures down. The expected high is 15C. I noticed this morning that the house core temperature is well down, it was only 18C in the kitchen despite the waste heat from the fridge. I have never seen it below 19C before with no heating on. This is a cold summer!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clearing sky last night with a NW breeze. I saw those parallel strips of high cloud at right angles to the wind direction again and in the past they have preceded a settled spell. Still clear this morning with a brilliant full moon. I can see the craters on the moon without my glasses now! Glass is up slightly at 29.1". Forecast is for a bright overcast with perhaps a late afternoon shower. Light SW wind all day and expected temperature is 12C for most of the day. Another cool night coming. Prospect is for a slight improvement in temperature over the next few days...
We had our usual walk down to the butcher's and back in the hutch at 06:30. It's a pleasant morning but cold.... I was talking to a young man in Valley Gardens who was walking his dog and he asked me if I was early because I'd just finished work. I told him how old I was and he wouldn't believe it. Nice..... He also told me that he would never get to my age because he drinks 12 or 13 bottles of wine a week! I told him he looked happy but was doomed! It seemed to amuse him....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It had just started raining at 4AM and we have just had our walk in, at times, very heavy rain. At one point in Valley Gardens it was so heavy we sheltered under a tree... It has abated a bit now but still a rainy morning. The glass is back slightly at 28.9". The forecast is surprisingly good once this pulse of rain has passed over, a bright overcast day with perhaps a slight chance of a light shower around dinnertime, Some bright spells, a gentle SW wind and an expected high of 15C.
My eyes are good enough to go out without glasses and it's such an advantage not having rain-spotted lens!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cool, calm and dry this morning. The sly was clear with high cloud at 21:00 last night but we have overcast this morning. The glass is up slightly at 29". The forecast is for a chance of a shower mid morning but otherwise a bright overcast day with a very light SW wind and an expected high of 20C which is a bit of an improvement..... Off for our walk!

06:15. Back from a pleasant walk with one bit of entertainment. There appeared to have been a traffic incident at the junction of Skipton Road with Gisburn Road. Two grey hatchbacks stopped in the middle of the road, a street sign badly bent, the top of the Belisha beacon on the crossing was laid in the grass over the wall. The leading car (YC03 XNK) had the near side front wheel badly out of track. About five young men stood about laughing, they thought it was hilarious evidently. Who pays for the damage....?
06:45.... The forecast was spot on, light rain has just started....
11:00. Noticeable when we had our second walk how much warmer that wind is.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday never got sunny and there were isolated spots of rain late in the afternoon but on the whole it stayed dry. This morning it's cam with scattered cloud but dry. Much warmer.... Glass is down on 28.6" and falling quickly, not a good sign.... The forecast is for a bright overcast day with little chance of rain. The wind is moderate and mainly from the south and west. A deep low pressure system is heading in from the Atlantic and we can expect a change overnight to wet windy weather. Expected high of 19C. Salutary to reflect we are heading rapidly for September, very little chance of good summer weather now. We've had a rough ride this year.....
06:30. Back home after a pleasant walk on a warm, calm morning with low sun coming in from the East. However, that Atlantic low is on my mind.... It struck me again this morning that the weather changed with the full moon.... Funny how often that happens.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear warm night, the waning moon was brilliant, light enough to read a newspaper! Overcast rolling in now but it's still warmer than of late. Glass is steady on 28.6". The forecast is for frequent showers this morning with a blustery SW wind and an expected high of 16C. The low is quite severe and we may have more wind and rain tomorrow. Time for a walk I think while it is still dry!
06:30. Back after a dry walk but the sky is threatening in the west. Jack had a good run with a nice red bitch and I see I was wrong about the traffic sign at the end of Skipton Road, it was the Belisha Beacon, I see this morning it's cut off at the stocking tops and bandaged up....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was drier than the forecast predicted and the blustery wind was warm so not a bad day. The glass is recovering as the low moves over, back up to 28.9", an encouraging sign! Forecast is for a bright overcast day with perhaps a shower now and then but nothing serious. The mainly southerly wind will remain moderate and gusty but it will be warm, an expected high of 18C. Could be a good day to paint the roof of the shed!
Back at just after 06:30. Lovely walk, pleasant morning, Jack well behaved as usual, pain free, breathing easily and striding out... What more could a bloke ask for? There is one small matter to report, I have just cut my hair off, it was getting out of hand. Question is, have I just done a rain or a sun dance.....?

Not a pretty sight.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

No not a pretty sight but good to see you looking happy and healthy ( does that make up for it? ) hehe :grin:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Cathy, I feel it.... There are compensations for being ugly! Lovely day out there, hot sun drying the paint on my shed roof. Went out to walk Jack with no hat on so my scalp could get a bit of sun.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Warm and dry with a bit of breeze with a brilliant waning moon in a clear sky. Glass is back slightly at 28.7". Forecast is for a very similar day to yesterday but slightly heavier overcast and the wind will have shifted from the South by midday and be a steady moderate westerly. Expected high of 16C. Basically another dry, warm day but not high summer.
06:15. Back in the hutch. Calm quiet walk, early so nobody about. Cloud is high and broken but enough to stop the sun getting in as yet.... Nothing to get excited about. I note that Butts Beck is down to a trickle over the cill again. (Keep an eye on Col and the tap in the barn.....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Exactly the same conditions early this morning. The difference is that it is still a clear sky as I write. The glass is up at 29". The forecast is for a mostly bright sunny day with no rain. The very light wind will swing all round the compass until late morning when it will settle to a gentle WNW breeze. Expected high could reach 18C. A better day, just right for repairing my back yard gate!
07:00. Back in the hutch and it's a lovely morning with better to come. Cool and a heavy dew but the sun is coming in from a clear sky.... Barlick is a good place to be on a morning like this! Mind you, Ian is being lucky with his weather on holiday.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Beautiful day yesterday, proper Barlick summer. It looks as though shaving my head was a Sun Dance.....
Clear, calm and cool this morning with scattered high cloud... Glass is up again to 29.2". Forecast is for an even better day today with full sun and a very light SW wind. Just the day for washing bedding and an early walk!
06:30. Back in the hutch, a lovely morning full of promise. No sun yet, just enough cloud in the East to block it but it will break through soon. I shall have a duvet cover on the line outside inside half an hour....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Finally we've had a good day today, 16C no rain, bright blue and white sky, quite fresh.

After a good 2 months of wintry weather I think Spring is giving us a nod.
I've been in and out like a jack in a box and up and down like a yoyo, (or is that the other way round) I will sleep well tonight. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Glad you're enjoying it Cathy.... We're getting some good weather at last!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Just back this evening having returned from Suffolk via Stratford to drop our Ruby off, 350 mile trip but no major hold ups. Weather as Stanley intimated above was very good, wall to wall sunshine every day, Shorts and T shirts the only requirement, constant breeze at the coast but plenty warm enough. Not had a bad day all week, one shower of rain during the night last Wednesday I think it was.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm glad you had a good week Ian.....
There's been a light shower in the night and we have overcast.... The glass has fallen a touch to 29.1", two lows are coming in but we may be between them.... Forecast is for a chance of a light shower up to dinnertime and overcast after that. We will have a high of 18C and the light, mainly SW wind will be warm.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

WP_20150809_12_55_19_Pro.jpg
[attachment=1] Lovely today with 20C and sunny.
Back to cooler temps of 13/14C with rain :( for Monday thru to Friday.
Sending you all some of today's lovely sunny sky.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We're back home after our morning walk Cathy. Not as bright and sunny as your weather this morning, overcast and a hint of rain in the air but nothing to spoil the day. The town looks good, volunteers have been hard at work cleaning up ready for judging in the National Britain in Bloom competition which must be imminent.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry, light breeze and thin overcast with blue patches this morning. The glass is down slightly at just below 29". The forecast is for a bright overcast day with a small chance of an occasional shower at times. A moderate S wind will later swing into the West and the expected high is 19C. Could be a decent day, we seem to get slightly better weather than the general forecast at the moment. Time for a walk!
06:45. Back home after a nice walk round the town on a pleasant morning with a light SW wind, high scattered cloud and best of all, in shirt sleeves and waistcoat. The town is almost spotless, the volunteers are doing a good job. There are worse places to be than Barlick.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”