Summer 2015

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Summer 2015

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote:The town looks good, volunteers have been hard at work cleaning up ready for judging in the National Britain in Bloom competition which must be imminent.
Tuesday
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I hope they do well Kev, they certainly deserve it. The council were doing a last minute manicure of the green yesterday.
Calm dry and cloudy this morning. We had a little shower of rain late in the morning yesterday but otherwise dry. Butts Beck as drying up again, no water coming over the cill. The glass is hovering on 29", can't make its mind up which way to go. The forecast is for bright overcast with some sun, a light west wind and an expected high of 17C. I suppose that qualifies as summer!
06:15. Back home after a pleasant and entirely uneventful walk. Midges in Valley Gardens (They were there yesterday as well) Hardly anyone about and everything looking well kept and tidy. The judges should be impressed!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good day for the inspection yesterday! It's misty with a heavy dew this morning, only just come light.... The glass is heading up towards 29.3". The forecast is for a bright sunny day with a very light wind mainly from an Easterly direction. No rain and an expected high of 20C. At the moment the forecast is for a clear night tonight so we may have a good view of the meteor shower....
06:30. Back home. The Barlick mist is lifting but it's still heavy to the East and hampering the sun at the moment but it will soon burn off. Nice walk, cool and almost Autumnal (sorry kids....) but pleasant enough and a good day in prospect.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely day yesterday and a clear sky this morning for the meteor watchers.... Glass is starting to fall, heading down from 29.2". A change coming? Forecast is for overcast to come in by 06:00 and then a bright overcast day with a moderate east wind with a high of 18C until this evening. From then on we shall be affected by the band of heavy thundery rain that is moving up the country already. Could be a noisy night.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Very weird weather here in Somerset. The forecast yesterday was warnings of torrential rain all through Wednesday night and all day Thursday, but we haven't seen any rain here at all yet (and it's now early Thursday evening). It has been completely overcast sky all day. I guess the clouds have held on to their rain, moved east and and dropped it over south-east England where places like Eastbourne, Brighton and Canterbury have seen flooding.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It rained during the night here and is still raining now but nothing to frighten the horses and as far as I know no thunder and lightning. I suspect that we are seeing SE centric weather forecasting once more after a slight improvement over the last few years after complaints about it. If there are thunderstorms in the South and the rain is moving North we get a blanket assumption.
The glass is just below 28.8". Today's forecast is for rain all day with the chance of thunder later. The light Easterly breeze will swing about now into WNW and stay there all day. Expected high of 15C. We could be in for a good wetting! Good thing really, everything was getting very dry.....
We were back home at 06:30 after a wet walk down to the butcher's (It's still raining as I write at 07:30 and looks set in for the day). It didn't come light until after 06:00, the overcast must be very heavy. But, look on the bright side, it's just the right sort of rain, gentle and steady and we were getting very dry.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It rained steadily and continuously yesterday until 20:00. Butts Beck is not running a banker this morning. This indicates to me that the gentle rate of rainfall allowed the ground to take up the water better and absorb it instead of giving an instant run-off. This morning the sky was clear, it's dry and there is a light NW wind. The sun is shining already. The glass is up slightly at 28.8". The forecast is for a bright sunny day with a moderate west wind tending to NW and an expected high of 15C. Tonight will be a cool one.
We've had our walk and it's a pleasant morning, fresh but not cold.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Almost 50mm of rain up here yesterday.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not surprised Wendy, I suspect it was the same down here but it came down so steadily and over a long period that the ground was able to accept it.
Dry, cool and a clear sky this morning, just coming properly light as I write. The glass is up a bit at 29". The forecast is for an overcast but bright, dry day with a very ;light but variable wind that covers every point of the compass except the south, it will finish up this evening in the north. Expected high of 16C.
We are half way through August and September looms. The overriding characteristic of Barlick weather this summer has been the prevalence of northerly winds keeping our temperatures down. Call me a pessimistic old bugger but I am starting to plan for winter..... (I only ditched my vest for about ten days... the shortest spell I can ever remember!)
06:20. Back in the hutch after a good walk, dry, definitely in single figures and almost dead calm. A helicopter circling above the south end of town....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cool, calm, dry and high overcast at 21:00 last night. As far as I can see, exactly the same this morning.... The glass is steady on 29". The forecast is not available at the moment, they must be updating. I shall come back in a while.....
Later at 05:20. Forecast is for a bright overcast day, dry, very light mainly NW wind all day and an expected high of 19C. A surprisingly high temperature forecast given the wind direction but it is very light so they may be right.... We shall see.
06:10. Back in the hutch after a surprisingly warm walk round the town, or is this high humidity? Whatever, a quiet pleasant walk....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Looks very similar to yesterday out there.... Glass is still on 29" but tending to fall. Forecast is a re-run of yesterday, bright overcast, no rain, moderate west wind and an expected high of 16C.
06:20. Back home after our normal walk. Feeling slightly better but I shall not push things! Midges in Valley Gardens....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was asleep in the rocking chair most of the morning and after our late walk, asleep in bed for four hours so I missed most of yesterday's weather. The rain managed to infiltrate from the East in the afternoon and the flags are damp this morning. The glass is falling and is below 28.9" at the moment. The forecast is AWOL at the moment, they must be updating and I am early. I'll come back later....
05:15. The moderate wind today will be predominantly from the south and this is reflected in an expected high of 19C. It will be bright overcast with good sunny spells unto 17:00 when rain will come in on the wind and persist all night.
06:20. Back in the hutch. Mild morning and humid. Overcast starting to break up so the forecast could be on track. Pleasant quiet walk, town just beginning to wake up....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain started two hours early at 15:00 and seems to have persisted on and off all night. Glass is rising again and is almost back up to 29". Forecast is for a mainly dry day, overcast but some sunny spells. A light southerly wind all day and an expected high of 19C.
06:25. We were out at first light and have had a damp, calm and very mild walk. Very growy.... I picked three ripe blackberries down on Butts yesterday and if anyone cared to go and forage there are enough for a small pie this morning. The season of mists and mellow fruitfulness is upon us!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had our walk down to the butcher's on a damp. humid, warm morning with a warm SW breeze. The glass is steady just below 29" under the influence of a large slow moving depression NW of Britain. The forecast is for a bright overcast day with the possibility of frequent small showers all day brought in by the moderate southerly wind. The rain bands are coming in from the west and the expected high is 19C. It may not be high summer but it's very good growing weather, I noticed this morning that the worms are very active as the ground is much softer now.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We got plenty of warm wetting rain later after a reasonable day, dry outside at the moment. Glass is still rock steady just under 29". The forecast is for a chance of a shower this morning, a bright spell and then a chance of thunder later on into the night. The wind will be light and very variable and the expected high is 19C.
We were back in the hutch after our walk by 06:30. We were lucky, it stayed dry until we were almost home when there was a sharp little shower. It has stopped at the moment (07:00) but I'd say more rain is imminent. Very mild and growy, the trees and foliage are loving this weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast yesterday was spot on. We had a decent day until about 20:00 when heavy black clouds started rolling in. At 21:00 we had the first flashes of lightning and half an hour later we had a full blown thunderstorm directly over Barlick. The rain was the heaviest I have ever seen in this country, I would estimate we had over an inch in 15 minutes, it really was that heavy. The rest of the night was quiet and this morning everything is washed clean and dry. The glass is down at 28.6". The forecast is for a bright sunny day with a moderate East wind until later in the evening when the wind will swing into the South and we will have more rain. The expected high is 22C, perhaps the warmest we have had this summer because it will be humid as well. Time for a walk and a look at Butts Beck.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast yesterday was spot on. We had a decent day until about 20:00 when heavy black clouds started rolling in. At 21:00 we had the first flashes of lightning and half an hour later we had a full blown thunderstorm directly over Barlick. The rain was the heaviest I have ever seen in this country, I would estimate we had over an inch in 15 minutes, it really was that heavy. The rest of the night was quiet and this morning everything is washed clean and dry. The glass is down at 28.6". The forecast is for a bright sunny day with a moderate East wind until later in the evening when the wind will swing into the South and we will have more rain. The expected high is 22C, perhaps the warmest we have had this summer because it will be humid as well. Time for a walk and a look at Butts Beck.....
Back home at 06:30 after a pleasant walk on a promising morning. Very humid... Butts waterfall was not bad at all but I'll bet it was a lot busier last night!

I remembered to do pics for you of the new inhabitants in Valley Gardens. I like them!

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We recorded 24.9mm of rain in the hour. You can see the rate it was falling on yesterday's graph and the storm passed around us, the thunder never got close.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for that confirmation Wendy, we were directly under the storm and the last time I saw rain like that was under a tornado cell in Minnesota when we got six inches of rain in about three hours.
Cooler this morning and dry at the moment. High broken cloud and very little wind. The glass is steady on 28.5" and I noticed yesterday that it was still falling in the afternoon when we had a short thunderstorm at teatime, nowhere near as violent as yesterday. The forecast for today is for a bright overcast day with a light breeze that starts in the south, swings into the East and finishes up as a westerly this evening. The expected high is much lower at 16C. Not high summer!
06:15. Back in the hutch. Its a dull, quiet morning out there. Cooler than yesterday but still growy.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Almost completely clear sky this morning first thing with no wind and a heavy dew, cool. Still dry now but cloud is increasing. Glass is steady on 28.5" with a slight tendency to rise. Forecast is for a dry day, bright in the morning but clouding over later. Wind is light and WSW but later swings round to the south and ends up in SW this evening. Expected high of 16C.
06:15. Back home after a pleasant walk, cool, calm and dry. The cloud is clearing from the west and the sun will soon come in as it clears the eastern horizon. A good morning, some would say the best part of the day. Midges think so, they are about in Valley Gardens....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Steady rain at 21:00 last night. It was fair at 03:30 this morning but just starting to spit with rain. It has rained steadily since. The glass is even lower this morning at 28.3". The forecast is for the rain to persist until 08:00 and then we shall have a bright dry day. The light wind varies in direction but always from the south. It looks as though Jack and I can't escape a wet walk! Deep Joy.....
06:15. Back home and very lucky, it cleared up as we went out of the door and stayed dry all the way round. Cloud coming in from the SW appears to be clearing but whether this will last? Butts Beck is flowing strongly, just right for the old water millers!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There was rain on the wind at 21:00 last night but it was a dry night. Still some spots at 04:00 this morning and it has developed since into steady light rain. The glass fell to 28.3" during the night and is just above 28.4" this morning. Not promising! The forecast surprisingly is for a dry bright overcast day with a constant moderate SW wind and an expected high of 16C. I shall remind Jack of this as he gets wet on our morning walk!
07:00. I was a bit late out this morning and the forecast was spot on, it stopped raining at just after 6AM so Jack is dry. Pleasant morning but cool......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Raining steadily this morning after a very clear night with a brilliant full moon early this morning. Glass is rising at last, almost up to 28.7". Forecast is for it to clear up soon and become a bright day with the occasional shower. Decreasing moderate SW wind and an expected high of 16C.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

We watched the full moon pass over the close last night. We had a weird sky about 12.00 today - in front of our house exactly half the window had a solid black cloud and the other half clear blue sky. We had those thunder storms and torrential rain at the caravan at the weekend - it rattled the caravan and you could not hear yourself talk for the rain on the tin roof.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had one of those showers in Barlick last week Moh... over an inch of rain ion one violent burst.
It's dry out there this morning, can't see the sky yet. The glass is up slightly again at 28.9". The forecast is very similar to yesterday, dry, bright overcast except for a chance of a shower around 13:00 with a steady light mainly SW breeze. Expected high slightly higher at 17C.
We were back home by 06:30. Noticeable that dawn gets a bit later every day and of course we are almost into September now. The SW breeze was cool and tossing the leaves about on the trees. There was a hint of rain and perhaps a bit of Autumn in it. The season is changing, the best we can hope for now is an Indian summer.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”