Summer 2015

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Summer 2015

Post by PanBiker »

Summer Solstice occurs at 17.39 BST today, so welcome to the new season. In another topic, Stanley says that it's all downhill from here and with regard to daylight hours he is perfectly right of course.

We do however have all of Summer and our Autumn to look forward to yet so just remember, whatever we are given there is no such thing as bad weather.

Dress accordingly and enjoy, welcome to Summer. :sunny3:
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Summer 2015

Post by Wendyf »

Thank you Ian, I'll hang on to my thermal underwear for a while yet I think.
I've put a link on my signature to our new weather station, you can have a look at daily, weekly or monthly figures for temperature, wind & rainfall at Lower Burnt Hill.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I was hoping you would re post Wendy with your link. I saw it in the Spring topic and was going to copy your post over but noticed it in your signature line as well. It's not quite Summer yet so you are allowed to keep your thermals until tea time. :grin:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'm impressed by the graphs Wendy...but I don't understand the map box at top left which keeps flashing green. Is that simply showing where you are located?
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Just a Google map showing our location Tizer, but it's not flashing green for me!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

That's strange, I've just gone back to the linked page and now there's only a small bit of the top right corner flashing green. Nothing to worry about though. I hope the temperature gets a bit higher during the day!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've bookmarked it Wendy. Very similar down here of course and I agree, it's cold and I have my vest on. The CH is kicking in on low temperature....
At 21:00 last night it was starting to rain gently. Same this morning and it must be very heavy overcast as it's quite dark. Glass is down a touch at 28.9". forecast is for an overcast day with showers any time. The wind is west at the moment but will swing into the NW again by 08:00 and stay there all day. Expected high of 14C but for most of the day it will be nearer 11C and feel cooler. Never mind the solstice, this is not Flaming June!
We were back in the hutch at 06:30. Light rain but otherwise OK. Not been a lot of rain, under heavy foliage there were still dry patches and Butts Beck is quiet.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've had our morning walk on a calm dry morning with blue sky coming in from the west. Cool..... The g;ass is up slightly to 29.1". Forecast is better for a bright, dry, overcast day with a light NW wind for most of the day which will keep our temperatures down again to about 16C. More southerly parts of the country will get 22C, an illustration of how our location affects our weather. We were down below 8C last night.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was darker than usual first thing, the overcast must have been thick. It's breaking up now and we have a red sky, dry and calm. Glass is up very slightly but still only just above 29.1" Forecast is for a dry overcast day with a very light westerly wind gradually increasing to moderate during the day. Expected high of 16C. Not brilliant but we can live with it....

06:30. We've had a pleasant walk, Calm, mild, dry and a partially overcast sky so no low sun. Not summer but not bad either.... We must be thankful for what we get. I noted that Butts Beck is down to a trickle. We've had rain but only light showers. Basically everything is quite dry. I wouldn't like to be running the Corn Mill on water power today!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry calm and mild but humid this morning. 100% overcast. Glass is up slightly to 29.2". Forecast is for a very mild overcast day under the influence of a warm SW wind which will persist all day but swing towards the East later tonight. Some light showers possible late in the afternoon as the wind shifts but mainly dry. Expected high of 17C compared with over 25C in the South.
We've had our walk, very mild and humid, probably as high as 13C even now. Not Flaming June but very growy weather.....
07:20. Light mizzle, even more growy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mild, heavy overcast, dry but dark this morning, no sign of dawn! Glass is down to 29", I haven't looked out of the door since 03:30 but rain is not far away! Forecast is for a mild overcast and rainy day until early evening when it will clear up. Steady moderate breeze from the SW and very mild, it's 15C now and will stay around that all day. Another very growy day! I'd like to go for our walk but it's a tad early even for Kathy at the butcher's....
I was back in the hutch by 06:30 and I was right, I beat Kathy to the punch this morning. She was dead on time at 6AM. A few isolated large spots of warm rain as we walked back and it's doing the same as I write this at 07:30.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Much lighter this morning with a clear sky. Glass is up a touch at almost 29.1" and tending to rise... Forecast is for a bright overcast day with a steady moderate SW or W breeze and an expected high of 17C. Much better! An early walk is indicated.....
06:15. Back in the hutch. Lovely morning full of promise for the day ahead....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice day yesterday. Heavy overcast and light rain on a moderate breeze this morning but only wet enough to keep the flags damp. Glass is steady on just below 29.1". Forecast is for an overcast day with a good chance of rain showers most of the time until late afternoon when it will clear up and become brighter. Slightly warmer than yesterday at 17C under the influence of a moderate, steady SW wind all day. We're much cooler than the South but even so it is growy weather. Forecast for next few days is much warmer......
Back after our walk before 06:10. I love these early mornings! Mild SW wind and a promise of rain but dry. Nice start to the day apart from the litter (picked two pieces) the waste bin kicked over on Skipton Road and the plants pulled out of the flower beds and scattered in Town Square. God knows what is going on inside the heads of a minority of our young.... Is anyone looking at the CCTV? Both locations in full view.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

I believe we are on-course for a short 'heatwave' from this Tuesday onwards, maybe lasting till Thursday. Weather forcasters are saying we can expect temperatures rising up to 28-29 Celsius 83f, but with increasing chance of thunderstorms by Wednesday. Myself, I don't like hot weather, but many people do like it to be sunny and hot. Take care in that hot sun. :cool4:
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I'm heading to work this morning all rugged up in jacket scarf and gloves, it's 3C BRRR... Should reach 15C today.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry calm and overcast this morning. Glass is up slightly at 29.1" Forecast is for a dry overcast day with not a lot happening. No rain forecast, no sun, a light SW breeze all day. Expected high of 17C.
Back home from our walk before 06:15. Overcast is breaking up, watery sun coming though. Shirtsleeve walk with a padded waistcoat, lovely mild morning. Very noticeable that the higher temperatures over the last well have brought the soil temperature up to optimum levels and growth is rampant everywhere you look. Some butterflies about as well.... Things are looking summery!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely day yesterday, more sun than forecast. Calm dry and sunny this morning with just an odd cloud in the sky. We are back from our shirtsleeve and waistcoat walk at 06:10, lovely morning, Jack had a good run with one of his mates and three firm bowel movements. Our cup overfloweth. The glass is rock solid at just over 29.1". The forecast is for wall to wall sun, a light S or SW wind and an expected high of 25C, It must be summer. Gardens looking good, birds singing, one or two butterflies in evidence. Things don't get much better than this! Prospect for the rest of the week is good....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely day yesterday, I reckon we got 25C in the shade. Clear sky and a nice breeze this morning. Glass is back slightly at 29". Forecast is for another good day, some overcast, a lot of sun, a variable breeze which starts in the ENE and swings round through SE as the day progresses. Expected high of 27C and late in the afternoon under the influence of the warm humid SE breeze there is a chance of an isolated thunderstorm brewing up. Off for an early walk, nicest part of the day!

Back in the hitch before 6AM. Earliest walk this year and a very pleasant one. Not too warm, sun a bit watery as there is scattered high cloud but no complaints. Butts Beck down to a trickle. Birds arguing in Valley Gardens.... Best part of the day.....
Later, 06:40. Full sun now and it's warming up!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

It’s too hot.

I can’t cope with it. Sunny spells and showers please, maximum temperature 20 degrees. I like wind and rain, especially when it hits the windows. A sound I find extremely comforting and soothing.

Richard Broughton
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Wow it really is heating up in Barlick
Enjoy.
All of 12C here and 13C for tomorrow. Our nights are cold cold cold
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice and warm.... Just walked Jack on the green. Apologies to anyone who was offended by an old man in braces and a shearer's vest with a large straw hat. Nice and warm out there in the sun. 23C in the kitchen, 22C in the front room.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This unusual high altitude cloud formation caught my attention at 20:30 last night. An hour later we had continuous thunder and lightning after what is reported as the hottest July day on record. Good garden weather! Heavy overcast at the moment. Glass is steady on 29". Forecast is for a dry overcast day until this evening when showers are likely. Light, mainly west wind, expected high of 19C.
Back in the hutch at 06:00 after a pleasant walk on a calm quiet norming. Short sleeved shirt! Overcast is breaking up in the west, could be a bit brighter than the forecast.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Light warm rain yesterday late in the day. Gardens are loving this weather, the allotment holders must be delighted. Calm and overcast this morning and flags damp. Glass is up to over 29.4". Forecast is for a mainly bright sunny day with a light wind that eventually settles in the East. Expected high of 22C with a chance of an isolated thunder storm this evening. Nice weather.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I woke this morning to a thunderstorm and heavy rain. It's overcast and spotting rain at the moment, Probably time for a walk! Glass is back down to 29.1" Forecast is for chance of rain and thunder until about 10:00. The light East wind will swing to a westerly about then and we should have a dry, bright overcast from then on. Expected high of 21C. Still good garden weather!
06:20. Back in the hutch. I put my trusty Barbour coat on but had a dry walk. Pleasant humid morning with hardly any wind. Despite the thunderstorms very little rain has fallen. The ground is dry in places under heavy foliage and Butts Beck has hardly increased at all. Still, it's a growy morning with the promise of a better day.... Things could be worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Much cooler morning, clear and a dew. Glass is up slightly at a shade over 29.1". We had our walk at 06:00 to 06:30 and it's lovely out there, dry, calm and sunny. Forecast is for a mainly bright sunny day with a gentle breeze from the south, chance of some rain early evening but soon brightening up after that. Expected high of 19C. A fresher but very pleasant day..... This and better will do!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”