Summer 2015

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Summer 2015

Post by Stanley »

Clear sky at 21:00 last night. This morning is calm, cool and very high broken cloud clearing from the west. The vapour trails of the long haul jets are only slightly above the clouds so they must be at about 30,000ft. We've had a pleasant walk.... The glass is rising and is at 29". The forecast is for a dry, bright overcast day with a very light and variable breeze that shifts around a lot. Expected high of 17C.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not a bad day yesterday. When I first popped out this morning it had just started gently raining. It has persisted and at the moment we have steady light rain but very little wind. The glass is back very slightly from 29". The forecast is for a dry, overcast day on the whole with perhaps a chance of a shower around midday. The light breeze will be variable but always from a northerly quarter. Expected high of 15C with no prospect of anything better for a few days at least. September has started early!
06:45. We had our walk and the rain was only light and seems to be following the forecast for a dry morning at least. Not a bad morning and I suddenly realised that the probable reason for the town being so quiet is that it is Bank Holiday! Not the best day for a set off....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Goodbye Winter!! On ya bike, on ya way, back in your box, no niceties, just be gone... I have never been as cold as I have this Winter, they said it SA's coldest for 5 years and that we only received 1/2 our normal annual rainfall... I don't believe 'em.

Welcome Spring :smile: :smile: :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

This is OGFB, the season doesn't change for another 3 weeks..... ;)
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

:laugh5: :laugh5: :laugh5:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

We cant possibly let standards drop. :wink:

In addition and as far as I am aware, our planet is still orbiting the local star at a constant rate. :grin:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nevertheless I am with Cathy.... The CH cracked on during the night and has just come on again this morning. Brilliant full moon, am I right in thinking that it is very close to earth at the moment? Cool night and I get the feeling we have just crossed into Autumn as Cathy moves into Spring. Glass is steady on just below 29". Forecast is for a mainly dry, overcast day. The wind overnight has been NW again but will soon swing into the west, just a gentle breeze but it will hold our temperatures back, expected high of 14C. No change in sight for the next few days, we are not far off the first frost....
06:30. Back in the hutch after our essential physical activity.... Very quiet out there calm, broken high overcast and the occasional spot of rain. Almost as though the weather is having a rest while it makes up it's mind what to do. My bet would be a spell of high pressure with clear cold nights in about five days. In meteorological terms, we are now officially in Autumn. Say goodbye to summer! Just to cheer you up, there are about 120 shopping days left until Xmas...... (I know.... but I like winding you up)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

We are all doomed, Stanley has seceded from reality and aligned with the statisticians, you'll be telling us the earth is flat next. :grin:

23 days and counting but not wishing my time away.
Ian
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Jobsworth......

:grin:
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Realist, I am as certain of this as that the sun will rise in the East and set in the West.

Anyway, regardless of Stanley's central heating, which in no way can be regarded as accurate meteorological equipment, today has been more like a late summer day (which it is) with sunshine (quite warm) and showers.

If anyone wishes to jump the gun and declare Autumn early though, go for it, everyone is entitled to make a mistake. :wink:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No mistake, the meteorologists regard the first day of September as the beginning of Autumn. The point was raised on the weather forecast a couple of days ago. You talk about reality.... the reality is that it is colder, the chances of an Indian Summer recede as the month goes on and Christmas looms. As for my CH system, I would have thought that if a system fires up when none of the inside parameters have been changed it's a pretty good indicator of slow changes in the outside temperature. Watch the advertisements and contents of supermarket shelves...... By the way, I note that Morrison's are still basing their current advertising on summer weather and barbecue items....
High scattered clouds masking the full moon of August 29 this morning, dry and very little breeze. The glass is rock steady on 29". The forecast is for another quiet day, small chance of a shower at any time, a very light westerly wind that tends to NW for most of the day and a lower expected temperature of 14C.
06:45. There's been a light shower since first thing but it's cool and dry now and almost calm. The cloud is breaking up and there are occasional shafts of low sun coming in from the East and colouring the most westerly clouds red. Noticeable that on some shrubs and particularly the Maples in Valley Gardens the foliage is changing colour. I note that the forecaster this morning says there is an outside chance of a thunderstorm almost anywhere today....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote:.... the reality is that it is colder, the chances of an Indian Summer recede as the month goes on and Christmas looms...
I wonder if we are in for a colder period than usual through autumn and winter and into spring? Usually, the ground and all the solid structures on it warm up in the sun's heat through summer and reach a peak around this time. This summer we've seen less `solar gain' and therefore the ground doesn't have the accumulated heat energy that we'd normally expect. Now it's too late to recover even if we have an Indian Summer because the days are shorter. So we're heading for autumn with less stored heat.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very true Tiz. That's been our problem in Barlick right through the summer, the prevalence of the NW winds and I have often noted that the temperature of the wind is the single biggest factor in house core temperature. There is usually at least one night during the year when it's uncomfortably warm at night in bed but we have not had that this year. I noted at 21:00 last night that the cloud was coming in from the NW and it's dry but cool out there this morning, something that is reflected by the fact that the CH cracked on at low level.
The glass is tending to fall towards 28.9" but very slowly so no sudden change. The forecast bears out what I said about the NW wind. We are promised an overcast day with a chance of a light shower later. The wind is constant from the NW and the theoretical high of 11C will never feel like that, more like 9C. No matter what the equinox says, this is Autumnal!
06:25. Back in the hutch. I managed to get out in enough light to see before 6AM but this will soon change. Jack and I like our early walks, his bowels are timed to start unloading at about this time and like his companion animal, he likes to be regular! Cool but pleasant morning, almost calm and it's dry but as has been common these last few days the humidity is high, 75% in the house and I suppose higher outside. One thing I noted is a dead straight line in the edge of the slow moving cloud cover coming down from the NW out towards the East where it will be perfectly clear.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not a bad day yesterday but as forecast, chilly! Glass is still hovering just below 29". We are in the no man's land between a low pressure system in the North Sea and a high pressure system in the Atlantic. Both of these are giving us a northerly air flow and keeping temperatures down. The forecast is almost the same as yesterday, overcast, chance of a shower at times and a constant light NW breeze cooling us down. The expected high is 13C but it will never feel any warmer than 11C at best. Not an Indian Summer by any measure. (I lit the stove in the front room yesterday....)
06:30. A very quiet walk under a clearing sky, a light cool breeze from the NW and it encouraged you to step out! All is quiet round the town.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cool morning with light rain, heavy overcast and light rain first thing. Dawn has been slow coming.... Clear sky now and a brilliant half moon. Glass is still steady on 29" so no changes about. The forecast is for a dry bright day which under normal circumstances could have meant some pleasant temperatures but the steady moderate breeze from the North will keep us cool, The high will be about 11C.
06:45. Back home after a cool but pleasant walk on a calm morning, just a very light breeze from the North at the moment. This and better will do if we are to be denied a warm Autumn.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cool night and this morning it was calm, dry and brilliantly clear, you could see all the stars. The glass has started rising under the influence of the large high pressure system coming in from the Atlantic, up to 29.2". (Note that the HP means a continuation of the North winds) The forecast is for a clear dry day with very light NW winds. The sun will raise our temperatures to a theoretical 15C but the NW wind will ensure that it never actually gets beyond 13C. If it's clear tonight a grass frost wouldn't surprise me....
06:35. Back home after a very pleasant walk on a cold crisp clear morning. Virtually calm at the moment and a heavy dew. Not a long way from a hoar frost I think. Noticeable that it didn't get light until 6AM despite it being so clear. The vapour trails of the red eye flights coming in from N America are ruled clear and white in the sky. Things could be a lot worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Today turned into a proper late summers day, 20C, 70F or thereabouts in my back yard this afternoon, very pleasant with a mild breeze.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice day yesterday. It did get warmer than forecast as long as you were out of the wind. Clear sky but misty this morning. Glass is still rising slowly, on 29.3" this morning. Forecast is for an overcast day getting up to about 15C. The wind will be light all day. It will settle down into an easterly by mid morning.
06:45. A chilly misty walk but calm. This could be one of those mornings when Wendy gets the benefit of living on the hill, I bet she has sunshine and is looking down on a sea of mist in the valleys....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Met Office Autumnal forecast is wrong again, we have another late Summer day with wall to wall sunshine, started off with the makings of Autumn but we are still definitely in Summer today, 22C on my thermometer 74F, that will do. 16 days to the Equinox when Autumn starts proper.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I can't post my photo in the gallery as I keep getting logged out, but I'll try adding it as an attachment. It was misty up here before 7.00am but cleared to this by 8.00am.
IMG_1090.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely sea of mist Wendy! I thought that would possibly be the case. One of the rare occasions when your elevation improves the weather!
It was a nice day yesterday, again, slightly better than the forecast. It's clear as a bell at the moment with a brilliant crescent moon. The glass is steady on 29.3" The forecast is for a dry overcast day with a constant light east wind. Theoretical shade temperature of 15C modified by wind chill to 14C.What we actually gets will be governed by the thickness of the cloud cover....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

There was a visible Aurora late last night, 22.00 and again in the early hours this morning ,02.00. Aiden was out and managed to get a couple of photos which are over in Facebook land on Barlick Talk.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had mist again yesterday when we had our early walk. We seem to have overcast this morning, difficult to see in the dark whether it's that or mist... Glass is back slightly on 29.2" as the high slowly moves over us. Forecast is for an overcast day with the slight possibility of light showers at any time but gradually clearing. Steady light east wind and a theoretical high of 15C. Could be an improvement tomorrow..... the high is moving off towards Norway and as we get the tail end the wind should shift into the SE and be a bit warmer.

06:45. A quiet walk on a calm chilly morning with solid overcast and hardly any wind.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's dry, not too cold and more breezy out there this morning. Hard to see but I think we have high overcast. The glass is down slightly on 29.1". Forecast is for a bright day with plenty of sun and a moderate East wind. The theoretical high is 18C but will feel cooler in the wind. Not a bad day at all!
Later at 06:30. Pleasant walk on a warmer morning than early on, that wind is more SE than E and it bodes well for temperatures later in the day. My mate Brian is out with his dog, he has started chemotherapy for the cancer and up to press isn't doing too badly at all. Very noticeable how the days are drawing in, it's still almost dark at 6am when it's overcast like this morning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The breeze yesterday was far more southerly than forecast and we had a very mild day. It's overcast this morning but just as mild. The glass is beginning to fall as the high pressure moves on, down to 28.9" this morning. Forecast is almost a re-run of yesterday, a bright overcast day with a moderate SE breeze and an expected high of 18C.
The bad news is that I need a haircut! I hope this isn't a rain dance!
)6:30. Back in the hutch, shopping done and all I have to do is read the paper, post the View for today and get on with the shed. It was a pleasant walk though almost dark at 05:50 when I set off. Luckily Jack made his delivery under the street lights! On with the day.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”