Autumn 2015

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Autumn 2015

Post by PanBiker »

Autumn Equinox has arrived, Summer is officially over for another year.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Autumn 2015

Post by Stanley »

It's cool calm and dry. No stars visible so I assume it's overcast! Glass is rising and is on 28.5" Forecast is for the sky to clear until dawn and then bright overcast until 13:00 with a chance of rain for the rest of the day. Wind is Moderate SW rising slowly during the day. The theoretical high is 12C but will feel like single figures until afternoon.
06:50. Back after our walk. The sky is clearing from the west and the breeze is still very light. A pleasant morning, this and better will do....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Early this morning the sky was clear with scattered cloud, the flags were drying out after a light shower during the night. It's raining gently at the moment. The glass is steady on 28.5" so no violent change. The forecast is for a very mixed day, chance of a shower almost any time, a steady moderate west wind and a theoretical high of 12C but it will never feel like any better than single figures. Looks like a good day for being indoors!
07:00. We were lucky, the rain stopped as we went out but has started again, only gentle... The wind doesn't feel as strong as the forecast but the clouds are scudding over a a fair rate so the forecast holds true when you get out of the shelter of the town.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely fluffy white clouds scudding across a bright blue sky yesterday and every now and again they dropped a heavy loose shower. The glass is rising, almost up to 28.9", a good sign, there's a high pressure zone building! The forecast for today looks good, a bright, dry overcast day with a moderate west wind that abates later in the day. Theoretical high of 13C but it will feel more like 10C in the wind so a touch warmer than yesterday. If the wind falls early tomorrow morning we could see a grass frost....
The forecast didn't warn me and Jack of the short shower that almost caught us as we were going to the butcher's! However, it's cleared up now and looking better.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice day yesterday and the sky was clear first thing this morning. It has clouded over since... The glass is still rising, 29.1" this morning. The forecast is for an overcast day, dry and occasional sunny spells, hardly any wind at all and what there is is very variable as we are sat under the centre of a very large high pressure system. This means that it's a good day for setting your barometer to 1027 millibars. I've just done mine so expect my readings to be higher! Today's is now 30.3" Household barometers are never accurate, their main asset is they show movement up or down and the severity of the moves. They vary over time and an adjustment like today's is a good thing occasionally.
Back home at 06:45. I am trying to keep to my early walk because it gives such a good start to the day. The street lights help a lot!
Mild, calm and dry.... Not a bad morning for late September....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear sky, calm and dry first thing this morning. I've just checked and can only see one bright tar in the SSE (Venus?) so I think that cloud is coming in. Yesterday was a good bright day but not a lot of sun because we had high thin overcast until evening. The glass is up slightly this morning at almost 30.3" (remember I calibrated it yesterday) The forecast is for a bright day with plenty of sun and a light E wind. Theoretical high is 15C. A good day to be out and about!
We were out at 06:30, it was still clear and a rosy sky in the east. Cool enough to make your ears tingle and a heavy dew but almost calm. As we came back half an hour later thick mist is rolling in from the east. Puzzle of the morning, why is there a large upholstered cushion from the back of an armchair and tartan scarf on the floor at the bus stop on Fernlea Avenue? Drink related?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear night and a good view of the Blood Moon. Misting over at the moment... the moon is still AWOL so we were lucky to get the view earlier... Glass is still rising and is up at 30.4". The HP is due to the Jet Stream heading well North of the Isles and this high is expected to persist well into the week. Forecast is a re-run of yesterday, a bright dry day with a light easterly breeze and an expected high of 15C. Good settled weather.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Calm and very misty, in fact foggy, early on and it is the same now. The glass is falling very slightly back from 30.3". The forecast is the same as yesterday but slightly cooler, foggy burning off to a bright overcast day with plenty of sun, light easterly wind all day and an expected high of 14C moderated slightly by the breeze.... Isn't it funny how this spell of settled weather came in as the moon approached full again.....
06:30. No point waiting for dawn.... I was surprised when we went out to find that the fog had totally cleared at ground level. Still a bit of mist in the high atmosphere, the brilliant full moon has a slight halo. It is cool and there is a heavy dew but not a bad morning for late September. Oh, and my glasses misted up when I came back in the house.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote:Isn't it funny how this spell of settled weather came in as the moon approached full again.....
.Gravitational Waves Stanley. I thought you would have spotted this from "To a good approximation, the masses follow simple Keplerian orbits. However, such an orbit represents a changing quadrupole moment. That is, the system will give off gravitational waves." (From your previous Science News posting.)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes, but my tiny little brain gets in the way P.....
Overcast and cool at the moment but early on there was a clear sky, good moon and high thin cloud scudding across at a fair rate from the east. The glass is tending to fall but still on 30.3". The forecast is a rerun of yesterday, bright overcast, sunny spells, moderate east wind and slightly warmer, 15C is the theoretical high but will be moderated a touch by the east wind. Another good late September day! This and better will do.....
06:35. Back in the hutch, dark and cool but calm at ground level and very pleasant for the time of the year. No complaints....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

TypicalLady

Post by TypicalLady »

I love autumn! Autumn is beautiful and so... nostalgic for me.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Welcome to the site 'LikelyLady'. Can we have a human name please?
Yesterday was OK but that wind had an edge to it. Clear sky at 21:00 last night but overcast at the moment. Glass is back slightly at 30.2" and tending to fall. The high must be degrading slowly. Forecast is for another bright day, more sun than yesterday and a lighter wind from the East so temperature is up slightly, theoretical high of 15C. The increased sun and lighter wind account for this. No real change.....
07:00. Nice walk on a pleasant morning. The first day of October.... This and better will do nicely thank you!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice day yesterday and a clear sky through the night. The moon was brilliant. By 4AM this morning thick mist was down on the town and while not as bad now is still about, it feels colder. The glass is falling a bit faster now and is down to 30". The forecast is for another bright sunny day with a high of 14C. The only difference from yesterday is that the very light wind is from the west and not the east. The high is evidently still deteriorating but even so, a good October day!
Later after our walk down to the butcher's on Gisburn Road. Much colder than earlier in the morning and the mist has come down again. Both Jack and I had steaming breath, Kath at the Butcher's told me there was ice on her windscreen this morning and when we got back home my glasses steamed up completely as soon as I entered the house. Need any more evidence? Despite this it is brightening and clearing and I have every confidence that the forecast will be right and we will have a nice sunny day....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

It's a long weekend for us with Labour Day on Monday. Weather will be hot with 30-35C.

The Aussie Rules Grand Final happens on Saturday in Melbourne so its an even bigger weekend 'for some' (not mwaa ! :smile:)
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Think of us Cathy as you swan round with next to nothing on! It's going to be bright but nippy and no doubt next week the Atlantic lows will gain the ascendancy and there could be wind and rain. This is after all the season of the Equinoctial gales!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We have started back on two walks a day now that it is nice well into the evening. ( so one late morning and one about 6pm).
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I enjoyed our Winter Stanley, all those cool and rainy days, laying in bed listening to the wind, and all the storms we had. It's still a bit early in our Spring, hopefully we will have a few more cooler days yet and a storm or two will be welcome too.
I'm not an Australian Summer girl.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You'd both like it here this mo0rning. The mist hasn't burned off yet so we have a milky sky with a vague outline of the sun as it tries to burn the mist off. The mist is winning up to press!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

I love the warmth again - topping up my tan nicely.
Say only a little but say it well.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I took a break from the kitchen refurb, (at a pretty straight edge) and took advantage of the weather this afternoon for a jaunt round Weets. Straight to the trig and returned via Duck Pond and then back down Folly. Not much to see from the top. the mist has never burnt off completely today. You could just about see up to Malham (as long as you knew where to look), Penyghent was just visible in the distance but no further. Nice in the Autumn sun though, only a T shirt required. Thought i had best get some in before the weather breaks.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

T-shirts here too, Panbiker.
Very warm ( over 30C) with a strong hot wind. Pleasant inside but not outside today...and every time I open a door another one slams shut somewhere in the house as the strong gust catches it.
Too many people in town, due to long weekend and school holidays, so a good day to stay away from the sea-front...and it's going to be the same all week.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear sky, cool, brilliant moon, calm but no frost at the moment. Glass is down again at 29.7". Forecast is for a cooler day starting with heavy mist and then overcast all day with perhaps a glimpse of the sun late in the afternoon. Hardly any wind, starts in the East and works its way round to the west by tonight. High of only 12C.
07:00. We've had our inspection tour of the town. Not sure what the modern definition of fog is, I can remember the proper pea-soupers, but you can't see across the car park at the Co-op. Some drivers are OK, they evidently have X Ray vision! Cold but not frosty....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Late out this morning. I found myself immersed in a search for a picture I knew I had but had mislaid it. (I found it!) It never really cleared up yesterday and this morning started with high scattered cloud and a light mist. The glass continues to fall, down at 28.5" this morning. The forecast is for an overcast day with warnings of 'dense fog' possible until late morning. We only have light mist at the moment. It's cool, the expected high is only 12C and the very light east to south east wind will be constant all day. A quiet autumnal morning on the whole. This and better will do....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Willing to swap, Stanley.
Hot, Windy and horrid today. We went for a walk early when it was quite pleasant, but have now battened down the hatch.
Hate days like this...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Still quite calm here Maz but wind tending to rise. Cool almost to the point of frost and a slight mist. The Glass is still falling, down to 29.2", there is definitely a change coming. The forecast is for the east wind to rise and become gusty as it swings into SE. Rain forecast for the early part of the morning, our first rain for a while. Temperature will rise slightly as the wind swings SE and we could have a high of 16C.
07:00. We've been round the town. A touch warmer perhaps, no dew and that East wind is getting up, very uneasy wind, blustery and some really sharp gusts. Hint of rain coming in on it already. It's definitely a change in the weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”