Autumn 2015

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Autumn 2015

Post by Stanley »

I noticed that the wind was in the East as well Moh. Clear sky at 21:00 last night. Hard frost under a clear sky with a very light wind this morning. First real frost of the winter, we have done well. (What happened to the worst winter ever....) The glass is well up at almost 29.5". The forecast is for a bright day until later this afternoon when there will be the chance of a light shower all evening. The wind is SW, very light at the moment but gradually increasing all day to moderate breeze tonight. The forecast high is 4C but I think they have these rather high for us today. It's a hard frost at the moment....
06:00. Back home after a brisk walk on a bracing morning! Calm so no face ache but it's a hard frost. The birds are singing, how do they survive?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Last night and this morning was high scattered cloud with a full moon. There has been a recent light shower. The glass is back down with a bump at 29" and ten ding to fall still. The forecast is for an overcast day with frequent showers brought in on the constant moderate west wind. The theoretical high is 7C but it will not feel any better than 3C. Noticeable that the frost yesterday finished off the leaf fall. The trees are almost all bare now.....
We were back home by 06:05. Dry bracing walk. That wind is more NW than west! Flags are drying out before the expected showers come in.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

High racing cloud on the NW wind at 21:00 last night. Cool and dry this morning with the same high cloud. Occasional spatters of raindrops but not enough to wet the flags. The Glass is steady on 29". The forecast is for a mainly bright overcast day with a moderate NW wind. There could be some scattered showers in the early evening. The theoretical high is 7C but the NW wind will make sure it never feels any better than 4C.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 21:00 last night it was dry, scattered cloud and a moderate NW wind. Calm and dry first thing this morning and still the same. The glass is up at just over 29.2". The forecast is gloomy, heavy overcast until midday and then fog afterwards coming in on a light westerly wind. It will gradually get warmer during the day but will never feel better than 8C. Nothing exciting happening at all!
06:15. Back home after a pleasant walk on an almost calm overcast morning. That's about it really, nothing good or bad happening!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A brisk NW breeze and overcast sky last night. Felt milder first thing this morning and it is raining gently at the moment. The glass is down at 29". The forecast is for a slightly milder overcast day with a high chance of rain from 08:00 onwards. The moderate SW wind will be with us all day and later tonight it will become colder. The theoretical high is 10C but the wind chill will make it feel colder than that. The outlook is for it to become colder.
We were back from the butcher's at 06:20. A pleasant walk on a mild dry morning, that wind feels warmer than suggested in the forecast. Town very quiet this morning, perhaps they are all at home indulging in the delights of Black Friday......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Light rain and a cold wind last night at 21:00. Dry with a colder wind first thing this morning. Since then there has been a light shower but it's dry at the moment. The glass fell a bit during the night but is climbing again, almost back at 29". The forecast is for a blustery cold day with rain possible, sometimes heavy, at almost any time during daylight hours. The WSW wind is cold and moderate at the moment but could get very gusty later. The theoretical high is 7C but it will never feel warmer that 1C and often much colder. Looks like a nasty wet November day and an early walk is indicated! [The shipping forecast gives severe gales round almost all the coast.]
06:00. We are back in the warm. Not the most pleasant walk ever. The WSW wind is cold and there has been an occasional spatter of rain from the odd solitary cloud scudding across the otherwise clear sky with a brilliant, almost full moon. [Just past full on November 25th] Not a soul about apart from another pensioner with a Jack Russell bitch who is madly in love with Jack. We mat them in the Town Square.... I am glad I need no shopping, plenty of grub in a warm house and the shed awaits. Apart from the late morning walk which at the moment looks like a wet one, I have no problems. That can't be a bad start to the day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Plenty of cold wet rain yesterday. It was drying up a bit last night at 21:00 with an almost clear sky. Same this morning first thing but there has been rain during the night. It has just started raining, big fat lazy drops. The glass is down sharply to 28.7". The forecast is not good. A very wet windy day, rain expected until early evening and the west wind will gust to 50mph, more on the hills. Theoretically the temperature is 8C but it will always feel colder. Dennis and Sparky will be snug in the barn today at Lower Burnt Hill. I wish Wendy and Colin the same......
06:00. Jack and I would rather have been with Dennis and Sparky! Lousy wet, cold and windy walk. In a way we were lucky because the rain never got heavy but even so, it's a wet miserable morning. So nice to be able to go out with no glasses on, no need for windscreen wipers.... Nice to be back in the warm and dry....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Aw...I do feel sorry for you Stanley.
Had son and his dog visit for the weekend and enjoyed a river walk yesterday and a beach walk today. Sun was shining and sand was soft and warm. T-shirts and shorts the dress of the day.
Biggest trouble at present is the annual visit of big, white Cockatoos. Very noisy birds, that screech until about 9pm and start again before 5am. ( I tend to grunt rude words at 5am because the noise makes further sleep impossible). Sometimes as many as two hundred of the blessed things settle on the lawns surrounding the house. They will be gone in a few weeks...I think they come to strip certain fruit trees...they migrate once their job is done and they find food elsewhere.
When they are gone, we begin the task of scrubbing bird poo off surfaces.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

All snug inside here Stanley. Yesterday the wind didn't get as strong as predicted in the forecast, lets hope the same happens today. You & Jack would be quite comfy sharing Sparky's stable, there are bales of straw round the walls to prevent him rubbing which make very good seats, but...er...he's not allowed to smoke indoors so the same would apply to you!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Maz, that sounds awful! I suppose you will have just become accustomed to the noise when they decide to disappear.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Funny enough Wendy, I have hardly heard them tonight so I just went to investigate...and I would estimate there are only about 30 Cockatoos sat outside ( 8 pm and still light here) so maybe the migration has already started.
I shall try to get a pic if I can, but they do tend to spook easily.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Gusts well over 80mph ....scary!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was thinking about you Wendy as I woke up snug as Dennis and Sparky under the duvet after two hours good sleep. The rain was hammering on the widow driven by violent gusts of wind. The forecast says it will begin to ease back a little after 18:00 but then get colder. A nasty day indeed and it is snowing in Scotland..... I love lying there listening to the wind and rain..... How do the birds survive?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I told you that wind was savage, when I went out with Jack last night I found it had taken half my lilac tree out. I need a strong man to take it away! Much more calm and dry this morning. Glass is rising, almost up at 29.1". Forecast is for heavy rain from 05:00 onwards until 15:00. This could possibly fall as snow on the high ground but it will be slushy. The moderate wind starts in the west, swings about all over the place but finishes up as NW later this evening. I think a very early walk is indicated!
Hope you escaped unscathed Wendy.....
04:50. Back in the hutch and the coal for the day brought in. I think going out early was a good call. Very cold wind and the first spatters of rain are coming in on it. The forecast is very accurate normally and if they are right the rest of the morning is going to be miserable. Anyway, we're all right thank you! (Jack has a dry back.....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Shame about your lilac tree. No damage to report up here, the duck house roof blew open and tore off a hinge, but they weren't in it.....they were out having a great time!
Later: Just looked out the window and spotted that two stone flags both 60x30cms have lifted off the top of my low patio wall...that is worrying!
IMG_1158.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We've had gales and rain today but in a drier patch we walked round the village and I photographed these geraniums happily growing outside on the last day of November! There are other plants flowering that you wouldn't expect now. (Sorry about the quality of the photo, I was being blown over at the time!)

Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Bad flooding between the reservoirs in Foulridge at dinnertime today. Came back from Colne via Red lane to dodge the traffic held up with the flood only to find the road over the tops just down from the Cross Gaits inn also flooded. Many were turning back, but the Dacia got through with no trouble.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I wondered why there is a lot more traffic than usual on Skipton Old Road....it must still be bad at Foulridge.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My Kenyan friend Muthomi is coming over this evening to deal with my Lilac, no big loss Wendy, it needed cutting back...... Blowing flags off the wall is serious.....
It was a nasty November day all right yesterday. Dry at 21:00 but overcast. The flags were dry when I first went out this morning but just starting to spatter with rain, half an hour later they are properly wet and we have light rain. The glass is up slightly at 29.2". The forecast is for a totally overcast day with heavy rain this morning. The wind is all over the place. a light easterly at the moment but it will swing into the SW and strengthen during the day. Theoretical temperature is 11C but it will never feel warmer than 8C later in the day.
04:30. Jack and I took a decision and we were out of the house at 04:00. Light east wind but dry. There is a thin high overcast, you can just see the moon trying to get through. It started to rain just as we got back, we may have had the best of the day! December could be starting the way it means to go on.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Pluggy wrote:Bad flooding...Many were turning back, but the Dacia got through with no trouble.
The main A road between our village and the town has always been subject to flooding and the Environment Agency have recently installed gates to block off 1.5 miles in the event of future flooding. This is because people keep ignoring the signs they put up to say `Road blocked due to flooding' and then drive into it and have to be rescued.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Jack and I have just had our second walk.... Not raining at the moment so that's two dry walks! Goody!
It took a long time for daylight to appear this morning......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I've just mowed the lawn, probably the first time I've mowed a lawn in December. It's about 13 degrees C and the sun was very warm this morning with 11C predicted for tonight. I remember a Christmas spent in Sicily in about 1980 where it was similar temperatures. I've just looked on the web and see they're having 13C too! We're predicted around 12C for each of the next ten days.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mo came last night and trimmed my broken Lilac bush. It was dark and windy but dry and the wind was surprisingly mild. (Note to Daily Mail, revise forecast of worst winter for 50 years!) Dry and mild this morning with a moderate breeze. The glass is down slightly at 29.1". The forecast is for a mild day, dry until about 09:00 and then high chance of rain for the rest of the day. The moderated SW wind will be constant until late tonight when it will swing into the North. The theoretical high is 11C and will not change until the North wind comes in when it will start to fall. Early walk indicated again I think!
05:50. Back home after a pleasant walk on a mild morning with the birds singing in the lamplight. Hard to believe how lousy the forecast is but I'll trust them! We are all right, Jack's ears never got cold the whole way round.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Once again, it was dry at 21:00 last night but just starting to rain when I went out with Jack early this morning. It is raining steadily at the moment.... Deep Joy! The glass is up slightly at almost 29.3" The forecast is lousy. Rain all day, at times heavy. The wind starts as a light breeze from the East, gradually strengthens through the day and at the same time swings round via the South until late this evening it's from the West. The theoretical high is 11C but will never feel better than 7C. A good day for being indoors!
05:50. Full wet weather gear as it was raining when we set off but it abated almost immediately so we were lucky, almost a dry walk. Jack only needed a light rub down. Only a few early workers about and to tell you the truth a miserable morning, very wet underfoot and Butts is running strongly even before today's quota of rain. There are flood warnings and almost every sea area has a gale warning in this morning's Shipping Forecast. December is starting wet and windy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

In our garden we've had bumper crops of berries this year on ornamental shrubs such as pyrocantha and cotoneaster and on trees such as hawthorn and crab apples. Regardless of this and the fact that recent weeks have been very mild here, the berries have almost all been eaten by birds. Normally they survive longer than this. Now if I were one of those traditional country folk I'd be warning you that the birds know something we don't know and this winter is going to be very cold one. And perhaps I would be right, a mild autumn followed by a freezing winter. Let's see what happens!

Return to “Seasons”