Autumn 2015

Cathy
VIP Member

Re: Autumn 2015

Post by Cathy »

Two weeks ago our state (SA) had a massive (22km front) bushfire which burnt out over 84,000 hectares. 2 lives and over 20 rural properties were lost. We are having another heatwave this weekend with 40C and lightning strikes and strong winds. Temps should gradually decrease to mid 20's by next Wednesday. All the warnings are out about being bushfire aware, try to keep cool, keep hydrated etc.
Wish us luck.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That goes without saying Cathy. You'd have a job starting a bush fire here, the ground is sodden!
Flags dry first thing and sky overcast but there is rain in the wind. The glass had dropped back to 29" but is almost at 29.2" now. The forecast is for a possible shower before 06:00 but after that generally dry all day. The main feature today is the steady SW wind, moderate at first but strengthening throughout the day and into Saturday, could be damaging gusts this evening onwards. The theoretical temperature is 10C but the wind chill will make it feel much colder.
06:35. We used our heads and waited for the rain to stop. That wind is definitely stronger than it was four hours ago.... Wendy and Col will get the full force as it comes up the valley.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Just lovely here. You could have spent the whole day in a deck chair, sipping the occasional cold bevvie.
( we didn't of course...I am just saying you could have, if it is on your list of "100 things to do before you pop your clogs")
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Having invited you to sit out in a deck chair yesterday, you would be wise to avoid such stupidity today, as it is sizzling out there (40C).
Grocery shopped early, then did our walk, then home to shut the blinds and keep cool. House is lovely and cool downstairs, but a tad warm upstairs...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Maz, it was cold wet and windy last night and guess what? It's still cold wet and windy this morning. Mind you, the wind yesterday, though blustery, wasn't as bad as they forecast. The glass is down a touch just below 29". I looked at the weather map last night and we have a massive area of rain coming in from the SW from the Atlantic. Deep joy! I wonder what the forecast says.... Surprise, surprise! Wall to wall rain all day driven in on a strong SW wind. No respite whatsoever. The theoretical high is 10C but it will always feel like nearer 4C, all day. That's all day ....... Might as well get out there in full wet weather gear and get it over with!

Back home before 05:00. Glad I have got that over with. Jack is rubbed down and feeling no pain. It is a horrible morning, heavy rain and a strong wind. So strong that for the first time ever my fur felt Christie hat was blown off and went straight up in the air higher than the rooftops. Luckily it came straight down and I retrieved it, it would cost over £80 to replace that old faithful! The beck at Butts is roaring over the dam already and will get worse as the day wears on. A real danger of flooding if drains or culverts aren't flowing freely. If any of you have to go out in it, put full wet weather gear on! I had a hell of a struggle getting my waterproof leggings on, my arm was hampering me, but I did it and thanks to them and the Barbour I am as dry as a bone!
Later.... The shipping forecast is horrible. Give a thought to anyone out at sea....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Will do Stanley, thinking of you all.
I have a song that keeps popping into my mind,
Its 'Is it still raining there in England... '
Stay warm.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The latest forecast has upgraded the severe weather warnings for us. I know they tend to exaggerate a bit at times but there is little doubt it is going to be a rough day. Give a thought for Wendy and Col, they are a lot higher than us and fully exposed to a SW wind.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

All battened down as usual Stanley, thanks for thinking about us. :smile:
Though I hate high winds I think I prefer our weather conditions to those down under...feeling sorry for those suffering 40C. I get uncomfortable with anything much over 20!
The wind wasn't as strong as forecast overnight, it's averaging about 30mph at the moment. Keep an eye on the wind speed graph on our weather station....if it flatlines send for help!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I'm comfortable with temps up to 25C. We might get a drop or two of rain next Wednesday...we'll see.
Sleeping under a sheet, if that, and have frozen plenty of icecubes.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I take a 700ml bottle of water to bed...
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

It would be a hot water bottle over here today - it is a horrible day, the wind is lashing the rain on the kitchen window.
Say only a little but say it well.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

London has had stiff breezes, but thankfully no rain Saturday, Sunday looks to be a little wetter.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's still raining this morning with a moderate breeze. I don't think it has stopped raining for over 24 hours. The glass is not much comfort, down to 28.7". The forecast is for the rain to abate slowly during the morning and we should be bright and clear after dinner. The wind to is dropping throughout the day but at the same time the temperature drops. It is theoretically 11C at the moment but will be down to 5C tonight but always feeling cooler because of the wind chill. It looks as though the storm has passed through. It looks as though a slightly later walk will be sensible this morning, should be dry at about 06:00.
05:45. Just poked my head out of the door, stair rod rain! Forget the routine, I shall wait for it to stop!
I eventually got fed up of waiting for it to stop and went out at 06:30 in light rain. However, before I went I mad an executive decision, decided that winter was here, put the Hogg summer walking jacket in the washer and got the Crombie out of the wardrobe. It is now officially winter!
Light rain and still a gusty wind, a thoroughly miserable morning. The beck at Butts is roaring solid over the Corn Mill Dam, as heavy a flow as I have ever seen. That amount of water, unconfined in the beck, would be a very damaging force. I think about all those who are suffering from the floods and of course rivers in Cumbria are still rising as the water comes down off the fells. It makes me realise that a drop of inconvenient rain isn't the worse fate.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

just watched the floods in Cumbria - poor people, many Christmases will be ruined. More rain forecast for the next few days.
Say only a little but say it well.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Photo circulating on FB pages of a waterfall cascading over Malham Cove. Fist time in living memory that the dry valley has resorted to its formation use, that's a lot of water to cause that.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote:Photo circulating on FB pages of a waterfall cascading over Malham Cove. Fist time in living memory that the dry valley has resorted to its formation use, that's a lot of water to cause that.
http://m.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/new ... -1-7609734
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Lots of pictures and a few videos here:

We Love The Yorkshire Dales

Have a look at Hull Pot as well, filling up nicely yesterday, might check it out tomorrow.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It stopped raining at 10AM yesterday.... Odd shower last night and the flags are damp this morning, it's colder as well. Glass is back up to 29.3" after its plunge yesterday. The forecast is for a chance of a shower any time until 10:00 then dry until late evening when there is a chance of rain again. The light east wind will swing into the south and strengthen at about 10:00 and the temperature will rise to a theoretical 12C, the wind will stay in the south for the rest of the day.
Back indoors at 06:05 after a dry walk on a calm morning, dry underfoot. The flow in Butts is down to more normal levels, an indication of how lucky we are in Barlick, the run-off soon subsides when the ground is as wet as this. Compared with almost anyone north of here we have got off very lightly. The shipping forecast reports another deep low developing to the NW of Scotland and this is already giving gale force 9 winds all the way down the West coast as far as the Irish sea. That's the wind we will get later today....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Last night Adelaide endured it's hottest night in over 100yrs, wait for it... 33C (that's 91F) !! I left a few windows open and went to bed thinking I would get a cool breeze but instead the wind was still hot and blowing ao hard it sounded like train after train was coming down my street. About 2.30 I got up, closed the windows (all but one) and put my cold air-con on. Up again an hour later because the fan noise kept waking me up, turned it off and finally fell asleep.
It was a very hot, noisy and uncomfortable night with not much sleep.
Any more nights like that and you 'll see me back in Barlick!!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had a better night Cathy, I could get my shoulder and arm comfortable enough to allow me to sleep. Gott sei dank!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I often sleep without any sheet/quilt but last night is the first time Febby did too.
I slept ok, but have found today so humid and tropical that I have drunk nearly 3 litres of water. ( so I am water-logged and my belly makes squelching sounds when I walk!) hope I don't spend all night wearing a track between the bed and the loo...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The exercise will do you good Dearie!
The flood reports are coming in and there is little doubt that Desmond was quite exceptional. The good news is that the power has been restored in Lancaster but the Cumberland is still running on emergency generators. There is a feeling that if this had happened in London...... A peripheral but important matter is that many are worrying what the attitude of the insurance companies will be.....
I have a long memory, remember when the South was flooded? Cameron said that money was no object. I said at the time that this was a hostage to fortune and it may be coming back to bite him. The excuse will be (and is already being deployed) that this was an 'exceptional event'.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

( the excercise will do me good?! Wendy! He would never have said that to you! Hmmmmmph...)

I have caught up with the floods...it will ruin a few people's Christmas...
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Well, at least he hasn't compared you to a brick er...outhouse!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I'm feeling more like the Hindenburg tonight with all this water on board...

Return to “Seasons”