Autumn 2015

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Autumn 2015

Post by Stanley »

Funny thing is that I think I've been neglecting water intake. Am addressing the matter!
We had a dry spell yesterday afternoon but it was raining again at 21:00. First thing this morning we had light rain but now it's raining properly and it's cold tackle! I was considering an early walk but I'll have a look at the forecast before I make that move. The glass is falling and is just above 29". The forecast is for the rain to bate for a while and then a chance of another short spell of rain 8 until 10AM. Then reasonably bright. The temperature at the moment is about 10C and is the warmest we will have all day, it is forecast to fall all day and could be a frost tonight. The wind is SW or W all day, gradually getting stronger. At the moment it';s a moderate breeze. The outlook is drier but colder. I still want an early walk, if it stops raining we will chance it!
05:55. It stopped raining at 05:15 so Jack and I seized our chance and we've had a dry pleasant walk in a very warm, moderate SW breeze. It really is mild and I can well believe that this is the warmest it will be all day. Good! On with the day......
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We had a wonderful lightshow last night and early this morning with over 100,000 lightning strikes, the rumbling thunder hardly stopped and it all brought us lots of much needed rain.
It's much more pleasant today (and tomorrow) with 26C. :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds good Cathy. I love a good thunderstorm especially when it settles a spell of extreme weather....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

We have just been down Burnley, set off in glorious sunshine, had a shower of rain and then a heavy shower of big hailstones - funny weather!
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think it's November weather arriving late Moh!
Not a bad day yesterday but they were right about the wind strengthening and it getting colder. At 21:00 last night the cloud was breaking and this morning it's as clear as a bell. No frost yet but we could have a grass frost by daylight.... The glass has jumped to 29". The forecast is for a bright overcast day until after dark when a band of heavy rain comes in on the strong SW wind. That wind will increase all day and it could be a wild night. The theoretical high is 9C but it will never feel warmer than 5C. A colder day but dry during working hours, could be worse!
06:10. Back home after a dry but cold walk. The wind is blustery and cold, I think bracing is the word! No signs of a frost....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was raining at 21:00 last night and first thing this morning we had very heavy rain, it has slacked off a bit now but still raining. The glass has fallen back to 29.2". The forecast is for the rain to persist until about 08:00 brought in on the steady, moderate WSW wind which will be constant all day. It will be brighter during the day but the rain comes in again as it gets dark. It is a colder day, theoretical maximum is 7C but it will feel more like 4C. The outlook is colder and on Sunday there could even be some snow.... It's a December day! Not a lot of point hanging about, we will brave the elements and go for our walk.....
06:25. Back home after a dry walk! We were lucky, there was a lull in the rain and I decided to chance going in the Crombie instead of waterproofs, far warmer and more comfortable. I'm pleased to report we got away with it. It's obvious that there has been a significant amount of rain during the night, Butts Beck is running a banker over the dam behind Briggs and Duxbury's works and as my friend Colin Barrett once said the puddles are full! Things could be worse, we are well into December and we haven't had a hard frost yet. Remember the Daily Mail? "Worst winter for fifty years!" Not yet lads, we are getting off remarkably lightly..... (Famous last words?)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sky was clearing after rain at 21:00 last night. Clear cold and dry this morning. Glass is steady just under 29.2" Forecast is for a mostly overcast day but with a real mix, chance of rain and bright spells all day, changeable covers it I think. The moderate west wind is constant all day sometimes rising and becoming gusty. The theoretical high is 6C but the wind chill will never let us have anything better than near freezing. New low pressure systems are developing in the NW near Iceland and these will keep this air flow going I think. Then outlook for the next few days is continuing colder with a chance of snow on high ground on Sunday. Looks like December weather!
We were back in the hutch by 06:45. My assessment of the weather as changeable could be right. There was a light shower just before we left the house at 06:00 and there has been another one since (07:300, nothing heavy but annoying if you are caught in it. We were lucky, the wind was less than forecast and it was dry but noticeably colder. On the whole a pleasant walk so the message today is to keep an eye open for showers during the morning and later as night falls.
10:50. Back in after our late morning trip. One or two little jobs done and we are back in the warm after a wintry shower with rain hail and sleet. I have shut the door on the day! Now for a braised steak butty with onion gravy for dinner.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon was characterised by a violent gusty cold wind carrying rain in. Nasty weather! By 21:00 it had calmed down and the sky was clearing slightly. This morning it was dry first thing but overcast, there was a light shower of rain around 5AM. The glass is tending to rise and is just above 29.2". The forecast is for a very cold day, it's warmer now than it will be all day. The theoretical high is 4C but it will never feel better than 0C and could drop to -4C in the worst of the wind and rain. The wind starts in the SW and swings round all day through South, East and North finishing up late tonight back in the west again. It will never be worse than a moderate breeze. From 08:00 onwards we can expect rain, heavy at times and possibly falling as snow even on lower ground. Midday will see the coldest wind chill, down to -4C.
It looks like a nasty day for the Xmas shopping! We were back from our walk at 06:00 on a relatively calm dry morning and not particularly cold but as I said above, this is the best of the day. I doubt we will be as lucky for our later walk.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It is sleeting steadily here now.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Oh my goodness... -4, can't imagine it. Do what you have to do then get back inside. Hopefully inside you are all warm and cosy.
25C here during the day and 10C overnight. 8.15pm and still warm and light, doors and windows open :smile: . Not being smug but we are enjoying this because next week we have another heatwave and they are never welcome. :sad:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Don't feel guilty Cathy, you enjoy the weather whenever you can. The sleet Wendy is getting is more like hard rain down here in the town. Jack and I have just had our second walk and it's raining steadily and very, very cold. I have no problem believing -4C with the wind chill. We're back in the warm and Jack has been rubbed down, he is feeling no pain.
The gritting wagons are out but how it can be any use spreading salt in the steady rain beats me.... The bottom line is that I am indoors with my butty and a hot pot of tea and the door is locked. Bugger the weather!
Town is full of silly people Xmas shopping..... They must be wrong in their heads....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

A much stronger NE wind than forecast isn't helping either...we are getting 25mph gusts giving a wind chill of almost -6C. I put the ponies out this morning in a gentle rain and no wind.... still they are rugged up and their stables are mucked out and ready for them to return whenever I can face going to get them!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Amazing what stock can stand as long as their bellies are full and their backs dry Wendy..... I doubt if they are feeling any pain! I agree about that wind Wendy, it seemed to me to be tending to the North more than the forecast predicted.
It was drying up at 21:00 last night and this morning we have our first proper frost, I can't ever remember it being so late.... The glass is rising and is on 29.2". The forecast is for dry cold overcast until early afternoon when a light SE wind could bring rain in which will carry on well into the night. The theoretical high is 3C but we shan't see that until late tonight. For most of the day it will be very cold with a light wind that varies from W to SE. I fancy an early walk.....
05:45. Back in the hutch after a bracing walk! It's a proper frost. Shot ice on the puddles and the pavements are slippery where the water remained. As far as IK can see there has been no gritting and so the roads could get interesting in the next couple of hours. One thing I noted and I can't remember seeing it before is that where the water is pouring over the dam in Butts it's generating water vapour, it must be much warmer than the ambient air. My friend Mark the street cleaner is about as well, there's only him and me looking after the town!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Here in Somerset we have been trapped in early autumn since it began and it may remain so into the New Year. Daytime temperatures are always in double figures and night temperatures just under 10C. The Met Office predicts 12 to 14C in the daytime for the next 10 days and 7 to 11C at night. Wednesday is predicted to be 14 in the day and 13 during the night. Not much sun but overcast and gloomy most of the time and lots of rain. I might have to mow the grass again before Christmas.

The forecast I heard for East Lancs/West Yorks this morning was warning of flooding.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Higher Lane out of Barlick and over to Barrowford was about 9" to 12" deep along most of it's length yesterday afternoon when Jack and I nipped over to Nelson. We came back via the motorway to Colne and then Black Lane Ends and down Stoneybank into Earby to get home. For those that don't know, the top road out of Barlick runs around Whitemoor, the amount of water coming through the walls from the higher side of the moor was unbelievable. I have never seen it so bad in 45 years of driving experience of that route. I know from walking the paths around the district that the ground is totally saturated, nowhere for any further water to go other than to run on the surface and rely on the man mad drainage which is not really coping well, due partly no doubt to lack of maintenance in some areas.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We had a lot of rain yesterday and the field drains were overwhelmed very quickly. We managed to divert running water from the back of the house. The drains at the farm above us weren't built to take all the run off from the big new sheds that have been put up in the last 20 years.
Just seen your post Ian....what was Earby like yesterday? I didnt venture out...
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

A bit of pooling at the bottom of Salterforth Lane but Water Street coping. Barrowford is in bother today according to the posts on Facebook. Gargrave, Carleton, Gisburn all cut off yesterday even the A59 overwhelmed at one point. Foulridge impassable late afternoon yesterday with the A56 blocked. Looks like we are in a catch 22, if it freezes the water will just get trapped in the saturated ground, if it does not freeze we are likely to get more of the same heavy rain, devastating for those badly effected.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree about the ground, absolutely full of water. I missed the later rain, I was in bed hard and fast asleep! Very light rain first thing this morning, fair but damp now. The glass is down slightly at 29.1". The forecast is for a milder day, overcast until midday and slight chance of light rain for the rest of the day. The very light wind is in the South at the moment and will never get beyond a slight breeze which after dinnertime swings into the east. Temperature will not fall below 5C and the outlook is for more mild weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Here's an example of the crazy temperatures we are having in Somerset. This is the Met Office forecast for Tuesday the15th of December with the time in hours across the top of the image. Look at how the temperature rises through the day and into the night!

Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree.... crazy! We are of course a lot colder than the soft underbelly because of being further North and the altitude. Amazing what a difference 500ft makes!
Calm, mild and damp first thing this morning. Glass is tending to rise slightly and is just over 29.1" Forecast is for fog and possible mizzle all day until 17:00 when we will have rain until 22:00. The light east wind at the moment will be constant and gradually strengthen during the day but never be more than moderate. The theoretical high is 7C but will never feel like better than 5C all day. It looks like a typical November day....
05:45. We got out early just as a heavy shower of rain was ending so we had a walk in light cold rain. (Jack is rubbed down, warm and feeling no pain) No sign as yet of the fog.... Not what you'd call a pleasant walk but I've seen much worse. Nice to be back in the hutch in the warm.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Calm, damp and mild with a light West wind first thing this morning. Then quite heavy rain came in. It's still raining now as I post.... Deep joy! The glass is falling, it's just below 28.9". The forecast is very simple, high chance of rain all day brought in on a mild moderate SW wind. Theoretical high of 12C moderated by the wind chill to feel like 9C. Quite unusual weather for this time of year, twice as warm as we should be expecting. The Daily Mail should issue an apology and an update, the Met office are forecasting the warmest December ever, even they describe it as ridiculous. Nothing for it, we shall gird our loins and sally forth! Not a lot of point waiting for it to abate.
06:00. Full wet weather gear, broad brimmed fur felt Christy trilby, waterproof and acts as an umbrella, no glasses to get obscured by rain, Barbour Jacket and Goretex legs over well-oiled boots. No such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing. Jack got soaked but he doesn't seem to mind and it is very mild, he is well rubbed down and feeling no pain. The wind has got up a bit, the rain was steady, the ground is sodden, the puddles are full and Butts Beck is running strongly. It must have rained for at least four or five hours. Big surprise was two blokes with a high reach arm on the van stringing or re-stringing Xmas lights in Newtown! Otherwise no other foot traffic apart from one suspicious character in Butts that Jack didn't like at all!
Unseasonable and not a good morning. I feel for anyone who has to work in it.... I shall be watching it through the shed window....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We are in the middle of a heatwave
Adelaide 42C tomorrow...Aargh!!
Reports that some areas of our roads have melted?? and of people being 'overcome' by the heat.
It's very uncomfortable... Bloody awful actually : :sad:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not good Cathy and at the other end of the scale from us. It's still raining gently. Jack got wet again as we did the late morning walk. Deep Joy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

First thing this morning it was calm, dry and very mild, I've seen colder mornings in summer! Glass is tending to fall and is on 29". Forecast is for an overcast day with a chance of rain from 10:00 to 14:00. A constant moderate SW wind and the temperature will hover around 12C all day. Very mild weather and the outlook is for the same for the next five days at least. Strange weather affected by the jet stream which is protecting us from the cold Arctic weather and sucking in warm air from the Azores.... (Daily Mail apology?)
06:00. Back home after a pleasant but highly unseasonal walk. Light warm breeze, no rain, drying flags and pavements, Butts Beck back down to a normal flow.... It all seems to be too good to be true!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Light rain at 21:00 last night. Dry first thing this morning and very mild. Jack and I had a pleasant walk. It started raining at about 07:00. The glass is tending to rise but is steady on 29". The forecast is for a mainly dry overcast day with a chance of significant rain 12:00 to 15:00. A moderate, steady SW breeze all day and a theoretical high of 11C but moderated by the wind to a constant 8C all day. We are still firmly in the grip of the warm SW air flow and it's unseasonably mild. Reports of Daffodils blooming further down the country......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”