Autumn 2015

Moh
Silver Surfer

Re: Autumn 2015

Post by Moh »

A beautiful red sunrise this morning - one of the best I have ever seen.
Say only a little but say it well.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Adelaide. We are having our fourth day in a row of over 40C.
44C today. I was going to say ' Goodbye cruel world ', but the weathermen tell us that tomorrow it will be 26C, so I've decided to stay ... :grin:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I haven't seen a sunrise for a while Moh, but I did see a mist obscured moon last night....
Cathy, that is far too hot even for me. I know you are aware but keep hydrated and don't exert yourself too much, it's a big strain on your heart....
Fair last night at 21:00 and this morning we have more wind but it's dry and very mild. I'd say the wind is westerly at the moment. The glass is falling, almost down at 28.8". The forecast is for the rain to start before 06:00 and continue all day, heavy at times. The wind is stronger and from the SW. very mild, at 14C and even with the wind chill it will never drop below 12C. That wind will continue all day and swing more to the South. The jet stream is evidently still protecting us from the Arctic air flows and it's more like May than December! I think an early walk is indicated!
05:25. Jack and I had a very pleasant walk. Dry, warm breeze, broken cloud and just a hint of rain in the air every now and again. Not December weather but this dog-walker isn't complaining!
By the way, I forgot to mention yesterday that I saw a surprising sight in the very early morning, a solitary hen making slow but stately progress across Wellhouse Road into the Pioneer car park..... I once saw a deer down the side of the Co-op at the same time in the morning. We may be poor but we do see life!
Later. It looks as though the UK night time December temperature may have been broken last night..... What strange weather.... What next? According to the Daily Telegraph this morning we are to be hit by violent and damaging storms later in the week..... That'll sell a few extra papers.....
06:45. Just a few isolated spots of rain falling......
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

The hens are broadening their horizons from their pens below Taylor Street and have featured on the local FB sites. According to the owner they like to go walkabout but always return for tea! Often see them on the Croft or Butts but looks like they are wandering down Ash Grove now. I think they need a better fence. :grin:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes, I often see them in Butts... didn't realise they were travelling that far! Never mind, as the old farmers used to say "They have their mouths with them".

The promised heavy rain hasn't materialised, quite a nice day actually.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

A friend of mine tells how when she was a young teenager she loved animals. Her parents took her on a holiday in Sardinia where they stayed in a hotel in the countryside. She found a tortoise walking through the grass near the hotel, took it to the reception desk and told them "Somebody's lost their tortoise". Much amusement from the staff! :laugh5:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Light rain coming in on a mild breeze last night at 21:00. Same this morning and it looks as though it has rained all night. The glass is down sharply to 28.6". The forecast is for the rain to abate handily in time for our morning walk and the later one around 10:30. Apart from that a high chance of rain all day until late tonight brought in on a constant moderate SW breeze. The theoretical high is 9C and will feel slightly colder than that under the wind chill. The mild weather appears to be in charge for the foreseeable future. The forecast is firming up for the week until Boxing Day and at the moment the three days of Xmas are going to be very similar to today. The recent experience suggests that the rain is slightly overstated in the Barlick forecast so there seems to be for a wet and windy holiday. Commiserations to anyone who took a bet on a White Xmas! This is quite exceptional weather and unless things change December is going to be a possible candidate for the warmest on record.....
05:00. We grabbed our chance and have had a dry walk on a mild morning. It was a good call I think, Jack is empty, my lungs are clear and our backs are dry. Things could be much worse!
(Quite a lot of people about, going home from parties I suspect. Many of them sounded drunk and were very noisy. Jack didn't like it and neither did I. Call me an old Scrooge but what about people lying in bed and having to put up with it.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear sky with scattered cloud at 21:00 last night, a good bright half moon. Same this morning first thing and it's still dry now with a colder wind. The glass is up at 28.9". The forecast is for a mainly dry day with occasional sunny spells apart from a high chance of rain from 10:00 to 14:00. The mainly SW wind will strengthen during the day and the wind chill will bring the theoretical high of 9C down to 5C at best and much lower for the rest of the day. A trot out for Dennis and Sparky with their blankets on? Jack and I will sally forth!
06:30. Back from our dry walk under a clear sky with scattered cloud. The forecast predicted the wind chill as 1C and I believe them! The Crombie with a fleece under it has been a tad excessive for the last few days but not this morning! Unexpected sights... Man drilling holes in the door of the Polish Shop on Church Street, desperate shopper? Cheeky burglar? Locksmith about his emergency duties? I don't know, I suppressed my public service instinct, wished him good morning and carried on.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Mid to high 20'C's today. I actually got the vacuuming done, without sweating like a.... :grin:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Glad to hear it Cathy, excessive heat is just as bad as cold.... We are managing without either!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I went up onto the tops above Elslack last night to see if I could catch a glimpse of the G2 auroral event taking place. The Kp index started to increase in intensity from late afternoon as the earth rotated through the remnants of the solar wind produced by a CME which occurred last week. Numerous sightings were made last night as far south as Cardiff. In the event we had no chance up here as the rain and cloud cover was too thick. I could just about make out an odd star through the murk while I was out last night.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just let Jack out for his afternoon pee on the telegraph pole in the back street and got caught in a nasty shower! The wind is spot on forecast, much stronger and very gusty. Brrrrr!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Perhaps you should have stood farther away from the telephone pole!!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Light rain on a strong breeze at 21:00 last night. Heavy rain and the same wind this morning. It's nasty out there.... The glass is falling and almost down to 28.6". The forecast is not good, it is to rain all day until after dark, become fair for a while and then rain comes in again. All brought in on a strong and gusty SW wind. During the day it will get colder, the present theoretical temperature is 13C but will never feel warmer than the 9C we have at the moment, chilled by the wind and rain. A day in the barn for Dennis and Sparky I think.... A morning in the house for me and John when he comes round. If he thinks he's going to get me up on Whitemoor in weather like this..... Might as well get rugged up in full wet weather gear and go for our morning walk.... Deep Joy!
06:00. The Lord moves in mysterious ways.... We are back in the hutch. I donned full wet weather gear, wellies, legs Barbour and a good fur felt hat. The rain stopped as soon as we got out of the door and Jack got back without a drop of rain on his back! Not complaining but surprised.... So, both dry, warm and exercised. Things could be worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

You are right Stanley, the boys will be having a day inside!

Later: Changed my mind and put them out as it hasn't started to rain yet. The wind should be dropping through the day so they will be Ok.
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

This thread has about had its day, I'll post before its killed off...... :)
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Just in time Stephen, Autumn is now over, Winter topic now up and running.

Winter 2015/16
Ian

Return to “Seasons”