Winter 2015/16

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Winter 2015/16

Post by PanBiker »

Welcome to Winter 2015/16 not that it feels like it at the moment.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Winter 2015/16

Post by Wendyf »

It felt like winter to me just now when I went to fetch the ponies in through the sleet!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I thought that rain was cold enough Wendy, I half expected it down here. It rained for most of yesterday and once more the ground is sodden. It was still raining lightly at 21:00 and the same this morning first thing. No wonder Cumbria flooded again..... The glass is rising and almost up at 28.8". The forecast is for the rain to stop around 5AM and after that we are promised a bright, dry, overcast day with sunny spells around midday. The significant SW wind will continue and it will be noticeably colder. The theoretical high is 7C but it will never feel better than 2C. This is a respite from the rain, enjoy it because it won't last, the outlook from tomorrow to Monday is wet and cold under the constant SW wind. We are still locked in that flow for the foreseeable future and there is a procession of lows queuing up in the Atlantic heading for the North of Scotland. It's settled weather but the wrong sort!
06:00. Back in the warm! The forecasters were right about both the cessation of the rain and the wind chill! That's a brisk cold wind! Ground is sodden and the puddles are full. Lots f water coming down Butts Beck. Enjoy any bright weather today because the met office has refined the forecast for tomorrow and over Xmas. Storm Eva comes in late today and Boxing Day is going to be wet and very windy. Those poor folk in Cumbria look as though they are going to get more floods. So, any last minute Xmas shopping, get it done today!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Here in Adelaide we are expecting 39C for Christmas Eve and up to low 40C's for Christmas Day with gusty winds later in the day.
Our fire-fighters are on red alert and facing our worst Christmas fire condition s for 30yrs.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No danger of that here Cathy! Everything is sodden and more rain to come.....
11:00. back in the warm after our second walk and a bit of light shopping. Bright sunshine but the wind is stronger and very cold.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Broken cloud, dry and a stiff breeze last night at 21:00. Same this morning but if anything, a stronger and colder wind. The glass is falling, it's down at 28.6" this morning, storm Eva may be making itself felt already. The forecast is for a very windy showery day with the possibility of heavy rain from 07:00 to 10:00. There could be some bright spells but on the whole the day gets colder as it progresses. By this afternoon the wind chill will have taken the perceived temperature down to below freezing despite the theoretical low of 4C. Cumbria could get hit again over the next few days, those people who are subject to flooding must be sick to the back teeth.....
06:10. Back in the house after a dry, windy and cold walk. I put a scarf on, first time this winter and a good move. For those of you sweltering under 40C... I had on a tee shirt, a shirt, the scarf wound round my neck and tucked into my trousers, a thick fleece and the heavy Crombie over everything. Just right, I was warm and protected! There is the odd spot of rain on the wind but it must have been dry overnight because all the deep puddles have dried up and the ground, while soft, is not sodden. Not a soul in sight as I walked round, Barlick is winding down for Xmas. (Mr Hutchinson was busy as always making meat pies in his shop on Newtown, he gets up at the same time I do...) One last bit of shopping later, my nuts from Elaine at the Xmas market in the Square. Have a good day, don't panic, it will all be all right! Love to all..... XXX
[PS. The CH confirms my choice of scarf, it has fired up in addition to the stove. It's the cold wind that does it.]
07:30. Forecast was spot on, cold hard rain is falling driven by the strong wind. Nasty morning for anyone who has to be out in it.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'm glad to hear that Elaine's got your nuts sorted Stanley! :wink:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Very wild & wet this morning but sun came out late morning and it was quite pleasant but very cold.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Going dark now and very cold. They say we might have a frost tonight and a crisp start to Xmas Day. But the next 48 hours promise more rain for those poor people in Cumbria and elsewhere who have been and still are being flooded. We are very lucky.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 21:00 last night it was windy and we had severe showers of rain, snow and hail mixed! Thus morning the sky is clear at the moment but with scattered cloud blowing across on a strong cold wind. The flags are dry but it is cold! The glass is climbing again and almost up at 29.1", it's up and down like a yo-yo at the moment. The forecast is for the wind to slacken and swing round until by tonight it is in the East. It will start raining late morning and continue to rain for the rest of the day, heavy rain at times. Because the wind is dropping the showers will be more slow moving and persistent than of late. The theoretical high is 5C but what we will actually feel is sub-zero now rising slowly during the day to 5C late tonight. We shall be wet but OK, Cumbria looks dodgy again, there are amber weather warnings for them and flood warnings. We have much to be grateful for....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

It started raining here about 4.00am but has eased off at the moment.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's a surprise Moh! I thought you'd be hard and fast asleep.... The pattern at the moment seems to be scattered cloud coming over and some of them drop rain. We had rain about 4AM and as Jack and I had an early walk we had another shower of cold hard rain but it didn't last long. Glad we're back in the warm! One good thing about the morning is that when a clear patch comes over we have a big, brilliant full moon in the west. You almost expect it to have coloured Xmas lights on it..... (One of these days! Coca Cola advert?)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

For most of the day we have had high temps with the air-con on.
Can you imagine it - singlets, shorts and thongs ?? Haha.
I'm sure it's cooling down a bit so hopefully tonight will be much more comfortable.
All's well. Stay warm. :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cathy, we are having lousy weather, even for us! At 21:00 last night it was unchanged, cold hard rain on a brisk wind. It's still raining hard this morning so it's probably not ceased during the night. Thoughts of poor Cumbria! The glass is tending to fall and is almost down to 28.9". The forecast is depressingly simple, heavy rain brought in on a moderate SW wind all day. The front is slow moving so don't expect any respite. The theoretical high is 12C so even with the wind chill it will not feel as cold. The shipping forecast is wall to wall gale and storm warnings. Full wet weather gear this morning!

06:10. We are back in the hutch and sorted out. I had Barbour hat and coat, Goretex legs and wellies so couldn't get wet. However it all needed stripping off! Jack was soaked but I've given him a good rub down and he is feeling no pain. I brought today's coal in while I was rugged up so that's that job done!
As for the walk.... In a word, WET! It's raining steadily and heavily and the strong SW breeze is driving it into your face. I have never seen the puddles bigger on my walk, they are overflowing. The ground is past sodden, there is standing water on anywhere that has the slightest hollow. Butts Beck is roaring down its entire length in Valley Gardens. I have never seen more water coming over the cill of the weir in Butts. It's just a solid mass. I did some pics but the heavy rain reflected the flash and upset the focus and exposure so they're not good but they will give you an idea.

The weir, or what you can see of it.

The beck below the footbridge at the weir, I've never seen it as high as this, it's thundering down its bed.

The latest forecast says that the main body of rain is south of where it was yesterday. Lancashire is to get the worst and we are promised a month's rain in a day. There are more flood warnings for Lancashire than anywhere else. Meanwhile, in the south they will have a dry bright day with 14C.....
I hope the trash screen at Clough is coping, if not we are at a dangerous level and there could be some people hard and fast asleep as the water laps ever nearer. I'm not exaggerating, this is serious rain even for us on the watershed. Anyone who is getting other areas run-off as well is definitely in danger of flooding. Deep Joy and thank God East Hill Street is on the top of a hill........
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Goodness, will check in later to see how you are all doing.
Would you prefer snow Stanley?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No Cathy. If this lot was falling as snow it would be 1947 all over again. Cruel though rain is, at least it runs away and doesn't pile up.
The general situation in Lancashire will not improve during the day, there will be no respite and we have an amber weather warning, only one degree lower than the very rare red warning....
07:10. Whalley and Ribchester are under red alert for flooding. That's where it's serious enough to be a threat to life..... They are getting all the water discharged into the Ribble, and that includes Butts Beck.....
08:00. The met office have revised the forecast. There is a possibility the rain might ease slightly during the afternoon but return heavier than ever as it gets dark. Expected to clear during the night.
The red flood warning has been extended to cover the whole of Lancashire. This is the most serious warning and it's the first time I have ever seen it issued.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We've just spent the last hour trying to divert a small torrent of stinking water coming down the hill from the farm above. It was flowing in our back gate and round the house. A barrage of scaffolding planks, sand bags and old tyres seems to have done the trick for now.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Hah!
Could be Guinness...?
Makes a mess alright.
( Christmas gremlins)
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We are having some respite from our high temperature s for a couple of days.
It's been about 23C today but will be back to high 30C's by Tuesday .
Here's hoping you will get some respite from your atrocious rain.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Cathy, towns in Cumbria have been flooded three times in recent weeks and are facing a possible fourth flood today. If it had been snow instead of rain it would all have accumulated and once there came a sudden thaw they'd have had their 3 or 4 floods all in one go. It wouldn't have flooded houses, it would have washed them away completely.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Best of luck with it Wendy.....

Still raining steadily, no signs of any let up.

Susan has sent me this pic from Earby. Earby Beck broke its banks early this morning. She's OK so far because the builders anticipated this (That's why it's called Water Street!) and built all the houses in Susan's Terrace with ground floors elevated 3 feet above the road. I hope it's enough.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've just spoken to Susan. I caught her at home making tea for the flood wardens. She has been on traffic duty as a volunteer but has run out of dry clothing so she's done for the day.
She says the water went down quickly this morning in Water Street when a flood gate was opened in the system by the wardens. The problem now has switched to Victoria Road and the Punch Bowl which are both flooded and water levels are rising.
See THIS for the present state of flood water in the Skipton district. Also THIS from Pendle Today on the current state in Pendle.

It is still raining and now of course going dark.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was still raining at 22:00 last night but stopped before midnight. This morning the flags and slates are dry. The glass is tending to rise and is almost up at 29". The forecast is for a dry, bright day with some clear skies and sun. There could be a period of rain just as it gets dark. The moderate SW breeze will lessen through the day and swing round through the south until this evening it's a gentle SE breeze. The maximum temperature allowing for the wind chill will be 5C later today as the southerly wind has its effect. The Met Office is warning of more rain on Wednesday but it isn't showing up in our forecast which is mainly dry for the foreseeable future.
04:40. Back home, we took an early walk. Ragged cloud but gaps big enough for the almost full moon to shine through very brightly. The ground has dried wonderfully and the streets and pavements are spotless after their prolonged soaking yesterday. A few revellers making their way home, one at least weaving about all over the place.... A pleasant walk, even the air feels cleaner and no signs of how close we came to trouble yesterday. I hope the residents of Gill Meadows succeeded with their temporary dam to stop water coming from the RR sports ground over the road.

Butts Beck is down to a normal full flow this morning, nowhere near as angry as it was yesterday. We are so lucky living on the watershed, we don't get other people's excess water....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Got lots of flood footage on our News service this evening...terrible. Things will be soggy for a while, and some of those homes won't dry out properly until Spring.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Our makeshift flood defence held for rest of the day, and kept the water away from the house. We need to be prepared with proper sand bags for next time, all there was to hand were slippy plastic bags of dry sand...probably 25kg but they being washed away by the force of the water. All is calm this morning...time to venture out and see what damage has been done to the track.

Return to “Seasons”